Start by marking “The Best American Mystery Stories 2001” as Want to Read:
The Best American Mystery Stories 2001

The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 (The Best American Mystery Stories)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Best-selling author Lawrence Block is one of the mystery genre’s most prolific authors, with more than fifty books to his name, including Hit List, published in 2000. Block’s selections for The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 include stories by such luminaries as Joyce Carol Oates, T. Jefferson Parker, Russell Banks, and Peter Robinson.
Published October 10th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Mystery Stories 2001, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Mystery Stories 2001

Lou
The audiobook had less stories than the print version.
There are two really well written good stories in here. These two are also my first tasters of these two authors works, one being the recently passed away great writer William Gay and the other of the female writer Joyce Carol Oates. Definitely worth buying this collection just to read those two. Peter Robinson's' story is also good and a first of his to read. Lawrence block provides a nice introduction and explains that he selected these fro
Lily
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodwill, рпи, donated
Though I wouldn't consider most of these mysteries, I enjoyed a large percentage of the collection. Of course, a few stand out from the rest but I didn't find myself wanting to skip through any stories, save for one. I'm glad I picked this up, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for when I started it on Halloween night (probably should've started House of Leaves.

Either way, collections are these are great for discovering new authors to read.
Julie
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
A few were good, most were hard for me to see as mysteries.
Leslie
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, short-fiction
A good collection, although "mystery stories" is rather a misnomer. Only a few of these can be considered actual mysteries; most are crime fiction, loosely defined. In fact, the mystery stories are among the weakest in the collection. Standouts for me are by William Gay (a spooky story about a missing child and house that is never finished), Michael Hyde (a psychological exploration of an unhappy teenager who becomes fascinated by a murdered girl), Thomas Lynch (about a mortician recalling the l ...more
Jackson Burnett
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
One of a tremendous series that features short mystery fiction from popular magazines and crime selections from the best literary journals, none of the Best American Mysteries stories anthologies have disappointed me. This one is my favorite, though. If you have a chance to look at this book, check out "Her Hollywood" by Michael Hydey. A very powerful story.
Andre
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Come December, I head for Vrooman's and look for the latest installment in the series. Every year's collection is put together by publisher Otto Penzler and new guest editor (Lawrence Block, in this case). Some years are better than others, but none are dogs. These are great books to bring along while traveling — because they're easier to put down.
Liz Hoffman
I decided that I missed out on a lot of mysteries in the early 2000's, since I was finishing up college back then. Turns out, it was a perfect time in history not to be reading mysteries, judging by these best mysteries of the year.
Dan
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Short stories are wonderful because they are only a few pages long. I had this book on my bedstead and I would read one story a night before going to bed. The mysteries were always resolved before I turned out the lights.
Karen
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lost-interest
Some of the stories were good, but I didn't find enough to keep my interest, especially with another 60 or so books waiting to be read.
J.C.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I think this one might be the best collection I have read to date. I have no plans to read them all but I'm glad I read this one.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2012
  • The Best American Short Stories 1996
  • The Best American Short Stories 1995
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
Lawrence Block has been writing crime, mystery, and suspense fiction for more than half a century. He has published in excess (oh, wretched excess!) of 100 books, and no end of short stories.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., LB attended Antioch College, but left before completing his studies; school authorities advised him that they felt he’d be happier elsewhere, and he thought this was remarkably perceptiv
More about Lawrence Block

The Best American Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1997