Start by marking “Can We Save the Tiger?” as Want to Read:

Can We Save the Tiger?

The team behind the award-winning APE returns with an inspiring look at a range of endangered species sure to engage every child who loves animals.

Tigers are pretty special — and so are ground iguanas and partula snails and even white-rumped vultures. But these and many other animals are in danger of disappearing altogether, joining the dodo, the marsupial wolf, the great
Published February 22nd 2011 by Candlewick (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Can We Save the Tiger?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can We Save the Tiger?

Mischenko
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins is a children's book about endangered species and why it's important to try to save them.

When I first picked this up, I assumed it was going to be about Bengal tigers in general due to the cover illustration. It was a lovely surprise to see that the book touches on numerous different animals, some that are already endangered, and others that are on the brink of extinction.

Students love the illustrations and simple facts. It's a meaningful lesson for the
Colby Sharp
I am trying to read more nonfiction. In the last couple of days I have read both Kapako Rescue and Can we Save the Tiger? If I can find more nonfiction like these two books I will read a lot more nonfiction.

I might even say this is my favorite nonfiction book that I have ever read.
Puddlyduck
This is an intelligently written book, that is filled with thought-provoking facts and stunning illustrations. Can We Save The Tiger is an absolute MUST for any library.
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very readable overview of endangered animals, with beautiful line drawings. Show the variety of animals and factors that lead to animals being endangered.
Christine

2011 Cybils Awards, Nonfiction Picture Books, Finalist

Can We Save the Tiger? (2011), written by Martin Jenkins, Is a
Betsy
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One Sentence Review: Great nonfiction with an ecological bent that's significantly different from a lot of the standard fare out there.
Sam Bloom
Any book that mentions the kakapo gets bonus points.
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations, and great information but not overwhelming. An excellent introduction to the concept of endangered and extinct animals. Lyrical and factual both. Good for 5 – 9 years old.
Edward Sullivan
Absolutely stunning! Troubling but hopeful. Pair this title with J. Patrick Lewis's Swan Song: Poems of Extinction (Creative Editions, 2003).
Rory Scott Douglas
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It isn't often that factual texts can be as accessible and pleasing to the eye as Martin Jenkins recent title 'can we save the tiger?'. The book fuses short choppy fact files with more in depth causal histories that explain why animals can become extinct and that it is within our power to stop these declines.

Aimed at slightly older readers (between 9-12) the book has gorgeous illustrations that convey the importance and beauty of a variety of animals that have suffered due to human influence. Th
Kate
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book begins with a question on the title page and through its conversational tone, introduces young readers to animals that have been lost to extinction over the years, animals that are in danger, and animals that are recovering, thanks in part to awareness. Without preaching, this gentle text inspires wonder and respect for the space and resources animals need and issues a quiet challenge not to stand by while more are lost. The art in this book is simply stunning - ...more
Melody Costa
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Can We Save the Tiger?" is a beautifully written and illustrated children's book about the animals that are extinct or endangered because of what humans have done to their habitat. However it isn't one of those preachy books about global warming (I'm kinda sick of those). Instead it encourages people to really think about the effect our choices have on the animal species that live around us. We need to remember that we are not the only species who are entitled to this home we call Earth. I lear ...more
Dolly
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating look at endangered animals, some of which are now extinct, some of which are still on the brink of extinction, and some of which we have successfully saved and are no longer considered endangered. The illustrations are simply gorgeous; the picture of the tiger (cover and p. 11) is so lifelike and beautiful. The information provided in the narrative is informative, but not overwhelmingly detailed. It can easily be read at one sitting, unlike many other non-fiction science bo ...more
Samantha Tai
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book about animals that are extinct, endangered, were nearly extinct and because of conservation efforts have been saved. The illustrations are beautiful. What I thought was especially interesting was one of the animals included was the kakapo, the world's largest parrot found in New Zealand. I am currently reading Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot by Sy Montgomery.
Donalyn
Jenkins introduces reasons why animals become endangered and presents several examples of endangered animals for each cause. Concise information supports research and sparks interest in learning more about the animals. Vicky White's pencil and oil paint illustrations for each animal are amazing with lush detail worthy of an encyclopedia or art book.
Mitchell
Solid children's science book talking through the concept of species going extinct. Very good writing, good precise illustrations. And the choices of animals covered are a good mixture of the obvious and less obvious. Not really a read-it-yourself but not pitched all that high either. And not too short or too long. Not particular inspirational content, so not a new favorite. But worth reading.
Deborah
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I don't really like books with so obvious a point to make, but this one does it in a way that isn't too bothersome. The writing is very well done (lots of places to use as models) and the illustrations are really gorgeous.
Rachel Watkins
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This exquisite book is illustrated with love and care. Just as we should love and care for endangered animals. Tigers, iguanas, and vultures are all at risk and Jenkins uses examples of animals we HAVE saved to show how there is hope in saving amazing yet threatened animals.
Kelli
SM
Katie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
An important addition to any elementary school library!
Deborah
Beautifully drawn and designed book.
LeeAnn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great with my 4th graders!
Maren Prestegaard
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Non-fiction at its best.
Cathy
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing

The Nonfiction Detectives' review:

There has been a lot of buzz in the kidlit world about Can We Save the Tiger? ever since it was released in February. You might wonder why we haven't reviewed it yet. We launched The Nonfiction Detectives blog in late April, so we were just getting our site off the ground when bloggers and reviewers were singing the book's praises. So without further adieu, here is our review of Can We Save the Tiger?

Martin Jenkins and Vic
Sam
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kids
Great kids book about extinction and prevention.
Joanna Marple
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The world is quite a big place, you know. But it's not that big, when you consider how much there is to squeeze into it. ....... Us humans have changed the world a lot over the years, to make room for ourselves and to produce the things we need...... Some of the other animals and plants that we share the Earth with have coped with the changes very well. But some haven't."

Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, accompanies us around the world on a 56 page journey of phenomenal fauna. From anim
Mary Ann
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5th, 6th, 4th
Using straightforward but compelling language, Jenkins starts by introducing the concept of what makes animals extinct. "Some of the other animals and plants that we share the Earth with have coped with the changes very well. But some haven't. In fact, some have coped so badly that they're not here any more. They're extinct./ This means we'll never see a live dodo.../ or a Steller's sea cow, or a marsupial wolf, or a great auk..." (pp. 6-8) With clear writing, an almost conversational tone, and ...more
Kelsey
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ages: 4-10 years

An introduction to extinct & endangered species including the tiger, sloth bear, partula snails, bison, kakapos, and several more. Jenkins provides explanations regarding the dwindling numbers including beauty, ferocity, need for big stretches of land, introduction of nonnative predators, and disease. Jenkins doesn't ruthlessly blame humans for inhumanity but reveals the reasoning behind past actions--reasons that can be overcome. Jenkins explains success stories and the pote
Big Book Little Book
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alison For Big Book Little Book

This is a bit different to all the other reviews I’ve done as this isn’t a fiction book, but a non-fiction book. It’s a book that gives you facts and information rather than telling a story. But then that doesn’t quite sum it up either. The style of writing in this book does make it sound like the author is telling a story; it’s just in this case it’s true. I struggled to work out what age group this book is aimed at. There is quite a lot of writing and some of the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Butterfly Is Patient
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.
“When it comes to looking after all the species that are already endangered, there's such a lot to do that sometimes it might all seem to be too much, especially when there are so many other important things to worry about. But if we stop trying, the chances are that pretty soon we'll end up with a world where there are no tigers or elephants, or sawfishes or whooping cranes, or albatrosses or ground iguanas. And I think that would be a shame, don't you?” 4 likes