Start by marking “Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol” as Want to Read:
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol

Allen Carr established himself as the world's greatest authority on helping people stop smoking and his internationally best-selling Easy Way to Stop Smoking has been published in over 40 languages and sold more than 10 million copies.

In his Easy Way to Control Alcohol Allen applies his revolutionary method to drinking. With startling insight into why we drink and clear, s
Published December 1st 2002 by Arcturus Publishing (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol

Start your review of Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol
Clayton
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book gives you ironclad common-sense-based reasoning for quitting drinking. The premise is that all drinking, whether it causes you harm at that particular point in life or not, is perpetuated solely by a set of cognitive errors ingrained in our culture. It makes loads more sense than the common viewpoint presented by Alcoholics Anonymous and most doctors (who ultimately encourage drinking by reinforcing the myth of the "normal drinker" and that there really is something you're missing out ...more
Lance Hardy
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
There was no way this book was getting more than a couple stars. While I appreciated some of his points on personal, corporate and social brainwashing, there was far too much repetition and outright untruths to totally buy in on the methodology.

On the former, I see it every day in my life, my consumption of marketing and entertainment and the area I live in. We are inundated with alcohol related media/advertising, businesses that near or solely exist because of it and the odd social reality tha
Caitlin
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This worked for me!

I’ve been completely sober since reading this book - ten years ago! My drinking was destroying my life and my relationships. I felt out of control. It actually took me months to finish this book because I was afraid it work - that’s how much I felt I needed/enjoyed alcohol, despite all the awful repercussions.

Not only do I not drink, I don’t miss it. Not even a little. That is the greatest thing about this.
Dario Cannizzaro
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If we discovered alcohol today, we would restrict and criminalise its use in the same way we have for drugs such as heroin. Objective examination of harms associated with 20 of the most commonly used legal and illegal drugs ranked alcohol as the most dangerous."

This book, similarly to the Easyway to quit smoking, will exploit the brain-washing that tells all of us that drinking is good, normal and social, to make you aware that alcohol is indeed a poison.
I was an alcoholic, albeit not a final
Insanity
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an effective CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It can and it will immediately get you rid of your desire (the cravings) to drink alcohol.

For this CBT (and any other CBT) to work, you have to actively question your cognitions, hence it does not work for a everyone. Not everyone succeeds at questioning their cognitions for one reason or another (even when they think they do).

If you are the type of person on whom CBT is effective, then this book is for you (it will work like a magic
AmberBug com*
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Amber's husband Chris. Let me start off by saying I hate reading. It has been the bane of my existence throughout my educational experience. I couldn't comprehend how someone can make something as tedious and boring as reading and make it worse till my wife introduced me to audiobooks. Then again I never thought I would be married with a baby a girl on the way either let alone someone who struggled with addiction. But, like anything else, under the right circumstances anything is possibl ...more
Diana Ubilla
I actually think there is more positive in this book than not. It did help me have a shift in thinking about alcohol as an addictive substance just like all other 'vilified' addictive substances out there (think heroin, nicotine). Best I can explain - I don't use heroin because I have decided at some point in my life that the high is not worth the risk of using it. I'd imagine that it's vilification and it being illegal played a large role in that. The other way I'd conceptualize it is comparing ...more
Robyn
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recovery
If anyone out there is struggling with drinking and you want to slow down or quit, I suggest the audio version of this. The content itself seems unbelievably simple, and a little dated and regionally specific even, but after listening to it, I have no desire to drink. At all. Was it hypnotism? Subliminal suggestion? I don't know about you, but if it worked, I don't really care why in this case.
Patrick
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are open minded and have an IQ over six you'll think this book deserves five stars.
Sean Flynn
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lulls you into a false sense of security before demanding you once and for all give up ever drinking alcohol.

Read this as I'm 25 and I feel like it's time to start pursuing other ways of finding exhilaration on the weekends besides getting shitfaced.

Result: so far, I've been a lot more cautious about even drinking any hard alcohol. Carr's method effectively shoots down any argument you might have for drinking with one logical counter: it's literal poison. You didn't enjoy it when you were young
Tangerine
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I was your classic social drinker who drank maybe once or twice a week or even once a month just to have social confidence but when I did I never knew if I'd have 2 drinks or 6. I didn't like my relationship to alcohol so I read this book out of curiosity. It helped me to see the ridiculousness of all of the social conditioning that makes us think we need alcohol to be an adult and have fun. I decided I didn't want to be a part of that machine anymore and to find the joy inside myself to have fu ...more
Mike Cates
Truth about alcohol trap

Instead of disempowering onesself by common AA type programs , this book empowers the individual by allowing us to see the real trap of alcohol usage .
It’s poison quicksand whether one drink or 100 - I’m choosing to step off that trap .The great news ?
Alcohol is my number 1 worst weakness that impacts many areas of my life and diminishes my emotional guidance system - ie its the number one thing holding me back .
I am grateful to be aware of this and now step into a differ
Alex Drysdale
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I gave this book a 4 is because he does bring up some really good points that make you think about why you even drink in the first place. Like are there any actual positive reasons? He goes through many examples that make you think just a little bit differently.

I didn't give it a 5 because I think he is a terrible writer, uses poor examples and arguments, and makes a lot of assumptions. Despite this, if you read it with an open mind and try to understand where he is coming from, you w
Oxana
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a great way to understand why thinking of quitting drinking might be so hard. For me Friday evening drinks were sacred and if you would tell me before to stop buying Friday night beer, I'd laugh. That was a long awaited treat.
Now I'm free!
The book contains many great ideas, but also lots of bullshit. Some parts writer could have just skipped. But I'm giving this book 5 stars because it was a very effective way to rethink alcohol.
Pavol Donko
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is quite repetitive, but I understand that it's necessary for person who is in the alcohol trap. Now I know that I really don't want to drink any of this poison, not even a bit 🙂
I recommend this book for everyone who had a drink at least once a month or simply feels that they need to drink on any social event.
Marcel
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book then immediately quit drinking. No cravings, no willpower. The week before I did the same thing with his 'quit smoking' book. That was 2 years ago and its effects and lessons are entirely undiminished.
Michael
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two years after quitting smoking, thought I'd give this book a try to see if it can guide me towards cutting out alcohol from my life completely.
excalibur1974
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read the Easy Way to Stop Smoking and it worked for me. It made sense: smoking gives you absolutely nothing. But drinking does. It brings that relaxed pleasurable feeling to the senses; you can’t get round that fact, despite its faults.
Annica
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome alternative to AA. Allen employs an attitude of reverse brain washing by looking at alcohol for what it really is, rather than what we've been culturally and socially conditioned to believe. Instead of 'giving up' drinking Allen talks about freeing ourselves from the shackles of alcohol, rather than spending the rest of ones life resisting the next drink, one day at a time, he proposes that we celebrate the liberation and all the benefits a sober life provides: waking up feeling rested a ...more
Steliyan Stoyanov
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stopped smoking because of this man, this was 4 years ago (I think). I've never craved cigarette (despite the first weeks), which is more of a habit than anything else.

He has unique style of writing which really suits me. Maybe there were some weird examples and comparison here-and-there, but overall I really agree with him. I think the content of book can easily be mapped to any other addiction YOU consider harmful or not positive.

Let's see what happens from now on. :)
Kristopher Kelly
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The language is super-repetitive, but maybe that's the point.

I loved this book, even if the writing was hokey. The message was clear. The thinking was clear. Lots of great arguments against drinking and in favor of sobriety.

May have rid me of my desire to drink alcohol. Yeah, I know that sounds ridiculous. But it might be true.

It really might be true.
Tracy Skorka
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glad to have awoken and evolved in this realm at least. Alcohol is a waste of time, money, and a poison. An escape that one should avoid and stay in the present instead. Especially if you suffer from anxiety and depression. This definitely confirmed it. May go back to this book if I ever doubt myself again, but not likely. Definitely recommended.
Aj
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this book more out of interest rather than any great need to control my drinking. To an extent it does help to reframe alcohol and drinking. However, it is very dogmatic and at times patronising. Some of his comparisons to smoking and heroin just don't fit and others are just plain wrong.
Bas
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: quit-lit
Terrible writing, but a very interesting and helpul read for people who are struggling with alcohol addiction.

For a better written book with the same content, go and find Annie Grace's The Naked Mind.
Uģis Balmaks
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book out of curiosity because a friend of mine quit drinking after reading it. I don't think I'm ever drinking again :D There is just no reason to and many reasons not to. The commonly supplied reasons to drink are bs and the book clearly explains why.
Naresh Tanna
Apr 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
I no longer drink or see a point to drinking. Easy read and it will change your life for the better.
Pamela
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very helpful and gave me a refreshing perspective. I have recommended it to lots of people who also have enjoyed it.
Rachael
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Good basic information but a bit heavy handed and repetitive.
April Pitcairn
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best book I ever read!!!
Amy C.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a very black & white take on whats involved in quitting drinking. Carr takes a no-holds-barred approach to tackling our sociocultural beliefs around alcohol and the role it plays in our lives which I found refreshing and straightforward. His work is largely anecdotal which isn't a negative thing; however, having some science or studies to back up his claims would also be helpful. One issue that I did find in this book is his belief that essentially, withdrawa ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • Alcohol Explained
  • Alcohol Lied to Me: The Intelligent Way to Escape Alcohol Addiction
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • The Alcohol Experiment: A 30-Day, Alcohol-Free Challenge to Interrupt Your Habits and Help You Take Control
  • Sober Curious: The Blissful Sleep, Greater Focus, Limitless Presence, and Deep Connection Awaiting Us All on the Other Side of Alcohol
  • Nothing Good Can Come from This
  • Kick the Drink....Easily!
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • This Naked Mind
  • Skye Pocket Map: The perfect way to explore Skye
  • The Man on the Mountaintop: An Audible Original Drama
  • The Stoic Challenge: A Philosopher's Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer, and More Resilient
  • The Sober Man: How To Drink Less Or Stop Drinking Alcohol To Get Healthier, Fitter & Happier
  • The Book Of Tells
Allen Carr was an author of books about quitting smoking and other psychological dependencies including alcohol addiction. He quit smoking after 33 years as a hundred-a-day chain smoker.