Start by marking “Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)” as Want to Read:
Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)

Metal Swarm

(The Saga of Seven Suns #6)

The alien hydrogues have been defeated, driven back into the cores of their planets by an alliance of the Earth Defence Forces, the ancient Ildiran Empire, the Roamer clans and water elemental beings as well as gigantic living 'treeships'. But as the various factions try to pick up the pieces and recover, the wounds may be fatal.
Published July 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Metal Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Swarm

Start your review of Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
D.w.
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Only one more book to go.

Often during the reviews of this series I cite how timeline is a terrible distraction. The Pregnancy that has gone on forever is now finally over. How a second problem that the author thinks is a triumph is the short vignettes of everyone's story. That still plagues us.

How as a political treatise we have a meglomaniac ruling earth without a checks and balance system. Still the Chairman gets away with terrible horrors and no one stops him.

A new item has come to the surfac
Dave  Johnson
man, this really disappointed me. with such a great previous book, i really thought this was going to be amazing. it actually turned out to be my worst fears. anderson finally succumbed to corny characters, predictable plots, and tired conversations. too bad. i guess i'll still read the next one. i guess i have to since it'll be the last in the series. maybe this was a fluke.
Clay
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "swarm" of the title refers to the plans of Sirix and his Klikiss robots and EDF soldier compies. Unfortunately for Sirix and human colonists, the Klikiss have returned from some remote hibernation location and want all their original planets back. The Faeros have figured out a way to reproduce and expand their numbers through Ildiran souls, the EDF and Hansa Chariman slips further into paranoia and cruelty trying to keep power, and a religious/mental discovery by a green priest unleashes cl ...more
Angus Mcfarlane
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, scifi
The galaxy at war, humanity at war with itself and a new, ruthless enemy enters the scene. There are enough mysteries left in this saga to keep things interesting but there seemed much that was contrived to keep the plot alive in the present so the deeper history could be drawn out. The utter power difference between the elementals and terrestrial creatures suggests the latter should be easily eliminated; a leader as dysfunctional as Wenceslas would surely have been removed - these were issues i ...more
John D'alessio
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
The plot lines in this series were very interesting, and it was just enough to keep me reading it through to the end, but I found the writing repetitive, than tiresome and finally flat out boring.

Anderson writes each chapter as if you may have forgotten the setting laid down previously...I get it that the roamers are inventive, I get it that Ildarians can feel each other through some sort of psychic link, and I get it that the Chairman is distrustful of others...you don't need to continually be
Heather
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Up to this point, the Saga of Seven Suns kept getting better with each installment. Unfortunately, it seems to have stalled here. Perhaps it was the result of wrapping up the hydrogue war or switching to a different publisher. Whatever happened, Metal Swarm is the weakest book in the series. While there is still plenty to love about the series, this was not the dynamic story I had hoped for.
Jason
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is great science fiction - excellent character development, complex story arcs and just pure excitement to read. I'm glad I got into the Saga of Seven Suns series after 5 of them had been published as it would have killed me to have to wait long periods in between publishing each book.
Kim
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had been enjoying this series of seven books but it could have ended at book five. I am now just reading them to complete the set and am finding that I just want it to end already so I can go on to another book...something different.
Linda
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
“The Chairman believes that perceptions drive reality. If he spins his stories, colors his reports, and chooses the right words, then people will believe his version of events. He might even convince himself that his well-crafted fiction is actual history.” This quote from Metal Storm about the increasingly paranoid Hansa Chairman reads like current politics! This is a book 6 in a long, sometimes inconsistent space opera series. As with all the books in the series, there are good and bad parts. ...more
Chris
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, sci-fi, epic
Sometimes it was ok, sometimes it was just bad, rarely was it good. The bug race Klikiss come back and there is zero problem relating to them for the characters. Like, talking to them, driving their vehicles, etc. Even though they are bug like. That was one of my biggest problems. I know this is space opera and not supposed to be realistic in any way, but it's just so simplified to the point of absurdity. The characters are no longer very interesting either. I will listen to the last #7 book to ...more
Gregg Buford
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Don't why he has taken the story in this direction but he seems to keep going from one dangerous situation to another once one has seemingly been ended. Can't say that I like all the choices he has made but they are still interesting choices I guess. The Chairman and the Hansa still disgust me and the Roamers still seem like better examples of human beings more or less. Really wondering how anyone if possible will see a future alive at the end of this all. So on to the conclusion of the series t ...more
Michael Jarrell
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Metal Swarm was a great book. I have really enjoyed this series and this volume is no exception. As the series is building to the conclusion things are heating up and the suspense is increasing. I can hardly wait to read the final book and see what is going to happen to the characters that I have come to know. Anderson continues to hit it out of the park!
Rodeweeks
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Absolutely stunning and awesome... with all the things that is happening in this second last book in the series it is incomprehensible that the next one will be the last... I can't wait to see how Anderson wrap it all up. It is possibly one of the most satisfying sci-fiction series I've ever read
Paca Sad
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and full of new twists and turns, the Roamers, the Hansa, King Peter, Wentals, Verdani Hydogues and Faeros! not forgetting the Klikiss and thier robots! Green Priests and Ildrians. where will it end? I dont know but its a rollicking and enjoyable rollercoaster ride, Im loving it
Joanne
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some parts are so good, some parts i just zone out, want to finish the space opera though have to see what happens to my main characters, have a time investment in them!
Nick
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Inexorably draws the reader toward the end and onto the final book in the series.
Craig Robinson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story is all over the place...
Julie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Metal Swarm

Not sure why I'm leaving another review because this saga by Kevin J Anderson is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to read the next book.
Ddraig
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Turgid boring and trite. A waste of time
Thackshila
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nearly at the end of the journey, the story has lost it's momentum. The plot does get even more complicated, but it's slowly drifting towards... I don't know... messy? Too many villains and I can't really see how Mr.Anderson is planning to get himself out of this in a single book.

never the less, 4 stars for innovation. The various components are still working, and it would appear that they will form a giant single tapestry of clockworks.
Ok then, On to the seventh book!
James Caldwell
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished Metal Swarm today. This was a good read and I got through it pretty fast. My favorite characters in Metal Swarm were Davlin Lotze for being pure awesome, Admiral Sheila Willis of all characters, since she had many more chapters than usual, making her a main character instead of an occasional viewpoint, and she had a much more important role/conflict that made her important to the overall story, and finally Patrick Fitzpatrick III because of his ongoing character arc and romanc ...more
Stephanie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Précis The hydrogues were defeated in the last volume and now both the Hansa and the Ildirans are picking up the pieces. King Peter is strengthening his newly founded Confederation on Theroc and Basil Wenceslas, chairman of the Hansa is slowly losing his grip as he tries to discredit the Confederation and hang on to the colonies.
The new Ildiran Mage-Imperator Jora'h is taking a new approach to his position much to the dismay of many Ildirans, which eventually puts him in harm's way. Adding to
Paul
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, part 6 in the series, takes place in the far future, after a brutal galactic war. Klikiss robots pretended to be humanity’s friend, building soldier compies (battle computers) for the Earth Defense Forces in their war against the hydrogues. The compies were all programmed to turn against their human hosts at a particular moment, killing thousands and stealing many Earth battleships. Sirix, the leader of the robots, uses these Earth battleships to attack undefended Earth colonies.

The l
Aqiul Colombowala
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
After the crushing defeat of the hydrogues in the last book, things should have been more peaceful in our little universe. But sadly new enemies have cropped up and the EDF is out on witch hunts to crush the planets signing up with King Peter.

This book was average I'd say and as usual, except for the last 50 pages or so the action was spread out into small patches here and there. Davlin is the best character in this book followed closely by Rlinda Kett and Bebob.

The book is full of plot holes at
Chris Evans
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
*sigh*

I'm not sure where Kevin Anderson is going with all this. His narrative is turning into a bit of a mess. I had hoped, with the end of the Elemental war in the last book, he could bring things back down into a more streamline narrative. No such luck

(view spoiler)
Don Viecelli
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
From my Newsletter Number 24:

I finished reading the next book from Kevin J. Anderson, Metal Swarm, the sixth book in The Saga of Seven Suns series of seven books. It is amazing to me how the author continues to build out the storyline and characters after six books.

Metal Swarm begins with the bettlelike Klikiss returning to reclaim their worlds from anyone who lives there. Everyone on the Klikiss planets is helpless against them and many will die trying to escape. The Klikiss robots are losing
Allan
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been about four years since I put down Of Fire and Night so, on picking up Metal Swarm, I find not much has changed but the story rages on. When one enemy falls another arises only this time it's two of them - the Faeros and the long lost Klikiss. The Faeros are being directed by ex-Ildiran nut-job Rusa'h and basically burning everything in sight while the Klikiss simply want their old worlds back and woe betide anyone foolish enough to have colonized them.

On top of that lot the human pol
Warren Dunham
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok this series continues to grow on me. At first i was only a little into it but the more it goes on the more I feel for the characters the action drives fast tension is well managed from chapter to chapter, and it really takes epic to the next level it kinda reminds me of star wars but the jedi arn't epic enough, Dune would probably be another good similer example.
My one complaint is this is the first book that doesn't feel like it wraps up and stands by itself. well maybe not stand by itself d
Danny
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This one was slow at the start, but built up steam as it progressed to the end. Anderson leads you to believe that the war in the Spiral Arm is over, but as often happens in reality things just keep getting worse! With the help of the wentals, and verdani the humans and the strange yet compelling allies of the humans, the Illdrans, might yet survive the continuing war.
The Kilkiss(an ancient and very alien race believed to be extinct) are back, and the irrationality of the Hansa Chairman lead t
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Temporal Void
  • The Naked God (Night's Dawn, #3)
  • Great North Road
  • The Engines of God (The Academy #1)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn, #2)
  • The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1)
  • Natural Consequences (Good Intentions, #2)
  • Personal Demons (Good Intentions, #3)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 1: Emergence (Night's Dawn 1)
  • The Blood Groove (Purgatory Wars #4)
  • The Cross Guard (Purgatory Wars #3)
  • Dark Empathy (The Heartstone Saga #4)
  • Legacy of the Valkyrie (The Heartstone Saga #2)
  • The Suicide Princess
  • The Murder Stroke (Purgatory Wars #1)
  • Empath Rising (The Heartstone Saga #1)
  • Powder and Shot (Purgatory Wars #5)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more

The Saga of Seven Suns (7 books)
  • Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns, #1)
  • A Forest of Stars (The Saga of Seven Suns, #2)
  • Horizon Storms (The Saga of Seven Suns, #3)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
  • The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)