Start by marking “Tagebuch eines Babywombat” as Want to Read:
Tagebuch eines Babywombat

Tagebuch eines Babywombat

(Wombat)

Ein Leben wie im Schlaf: Das Buch erzählt eigentlich ganz wenig - es ist wirklich ein Tagebuch eines Wombat. Er schläft vor allem, ausser wenn er frisst. Falls er etwas oder jemanden findet, spielt er. Damit ist sein Leben ausgefüllt. Das im Buch vorkommende Exemplar ist auch noch von der eher sprachfaulen, lakonischen Sorte. Dafür erzählen die Bilder sehr viel mehr über s ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Gerstenberg (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tagebuch eines Babywombat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tagebuch eines Babywombat

Lisa Vegan
Disappointing.

I love the earlier book Diary of a Wombat and recently read French’s non-fiction book about wombats, which was just okay for me. So, with this book, I was looking forward to another charming wombat picture book.

It is cute, but for me it lacked the magical quality of the original book. And, in the non-fiction book, it was stressed how wombats are wild animals. In the first picture book, the wombat’s contact with humans was done perfectly. Here, the baby wombat, and at times its moth
Abigail
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wombat Lovers / Anyone Who Enjoys Humorous Picture-Books
The sequel to one of my ALL-Time favorite picture-books - Jackie French and Bruce Whatley's brilliantly hilarious Diary of a Wombat , which never fails to reduce me to helpless giggling as I gaze at its droll illustrations, and ponder its dead-pan narrative - is out, and I've FINALLY got my eager little mitts on a copy! Huzzah!

Although not the equal of its predecessor, in terms of sheer entertainment value, (although really, what could be?), Diary of a BABY Wombat is no coattail-riding sequel e
Luisa Knight
The diary continues with the addition of a baby wombat that follows its mom's antics.

Ages: 3 - 6

#geography #australia

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This sequel to the wonderful Diary of a Wombat is a lovely book but sadly lacking. I think kids will love it but for me it was more of the same without the fresh charm of the original.

Parallels between the mum wombat and her baby and human mother-child interactions will be quite clear ("go outside and play" was an oft-heard line from my mum when we were growing up), and amusing. The baby wombat meets a baby boy and the two play and sleep together, but the baby wombat can't find a hole big enou
Muphyn
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Infinite Playlist
Recommended to Muphyn by: Infinite Playlist
So cute, so adorable... love wombats and these two are especially endearing. The human baby is a bit ugly but then again, it's all about the wombats that sleep, are bored, dig holes, and eat. Life couldn't be better...

Falls slightly short of "Diary of a Wombat", which is outstandingly funny and absolutely adorable. Maybe it's the ugly human baby or the fact that the wombats don't eat nearly as many carrots as in "Diary of a Wombat". But... this one is mine so I'm happy! :)
Jim
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I will even pick up a children's book when I am sitting around at the library. I love the illustrations in French's books about Wombats, and I credit her delightful original DIARY OF A WOMBAT for helping get my youngest son into reading, but I didn't really love this version as much. Nice, yes, but not as good. Maybe she could have left the little boy out. Still, youngsters will love it.
Camilla
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback
Another book from another Wombat carepackage, sent straight from Aussie-land..

Seriously.. I just love Wombats..

I mean.. Just look at them for Gods sake! So freakin cute!!
Olga Kilicci
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about a very curious wombat. It's simple and engaging, and the illustrations are lovely.
Carol
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the cutest book. Picked it up at work and then read it twice. Too bad that the woman who ordered it came in to get it right away. Might have to order another copy.
Emily
Didn't like it nearly as much as Diary of a Wombat, but still pretty cute.
Christy
The inimitable wombat who shared her adventures (eating, scratching, digging, sleeping) in the wildly successful Diary of a Wombat is back–with a baby! This time, it's the baby who tells the story. And a perfect wombat story it is, featuring eating, scratching, digging, sleeping, and playing, as well as the important task of finding a new underground home big enough for baby and Mum. Wry, understated humor and gorgeous, funny illustrations make this new picture book a brilliant next chapter in t ...more
Viviane Elbee
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We LOVE this book. As one of my kids said, “I already loved Diary of a Wombat, but this book is even better!”

The kids couldn’t stop laughing while we read this book... and they wanted an instant re-read.

The humorous illustrations pair perfectly with the text.

I highly recommend the Diary of a Wombat books - appropriate for toddlers, preschoolers and elementary students.

(Note: these stories were inspired by the author’s real life experiences with wombats. So although it’s fiction; kids may learn
Diana
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, storytime
Super cute! The "Diary" book are all precious. This one has a little too much interaction between wild animals and people, but it's so cute that I almost don't care. Hard to use as a read-aloud, but that's normal for this style of book.
Stefanie Pitzer
I was very disappointed in this book. The first one, Dairy of a Wombat, was WAAAY CUTER. This book just didn't have the same charm and didn't hold my 4 year old's attention as much as the first one. Big bummer.
Oanh
I like this less than Diary of a Wombat (sequels are, after all, never as good as the original) but it is still enjoyable, although at present still too wordy for Almost-18 month-Old.
Mckinley
Liked it, liked ending a bit less.
2brendan
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book for infants
gina
What a super cute and funny book. We had a lot of fun reading this one at bedtime!
Lian
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each and every Mothball book is another carroty treat. Love them all - word and image.
Lynn  Davidson
Diary of a Baby Wombat is the sequel to Diary of a Wombat.
For me, the sequel doesn't quite meet the expectation, but it is such a cute story. Baby Wombat sleeps alot, but as time goes on he gets bored, much to the frustration of his mother. She orders him to play outside instead of bouncing on her. Of course, he gets into mischief, but in that process he meets another baby - a human baby.
Bruce Whatley's illustrations are adorable. Children will enjoy looking for the added little character (a s
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, australia, childrens
We've now read three of the Wombat books by Jackie French and Bruce Whatley. I must admit that the wombat is very cute and we enjoyed reading about an animal that we never get to see.

But I wonder how far the cute will take this character. I mean, will the wombat go on a walkabout next? Or will we see a "Back to School Wombat" tale? I suppose I'm just being a bit of a grump this morning, but I sometimes wonder if the publishing houses try to squeeze just a little too much out of a good thing. Th
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, children-s, picture
Jackie French is a prolific Australian writer of children's and adult books. Diary of a BABY Wombat follows the original Diary of a Wombat and lovers of the original will be charmed by this story too.

The baby wombat sleeps most of the day but when he wakes up, he needs to play. He meets a human baby and the two of them play, eat, and find mischief together. Intertwined in the amusing pictures is the wombats' search for a new hole that is big enough for the baby and his mom. The two stories don'
Robin
Diary of a Wombat (2003) is a favorite in our household. I was delighted when I saw a sequel and moments later, dubious. Could they really create something as charming and sweet and laugh out loud funny as the first? Happily, the answer is yes. In this story the baby wombat meets the newcomer to the human household . . . another baby. They play together quite well. Bruce Whatley's pictures are really perfect. I love the expressiveness of the wombat. Just the one open eye of the mother in a pictu ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated G by Lucy Thomas
The book is a follow up of Diary of a Wombat (2003). This latest picture book presents a baby wombat who has written diary entries for a week describing its daily activities with its Mum and a human baby friend. The diary format with short lines of text and font variations are enhanced by the accompanying detailed acrylic illustrations especially of the cute baby wombat and the human baby’s playful mirrored antics. Before I read this story to a 2nd grade class, w
Lara
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as fresh as the first one, Diary of a Wombat, I still love the wombat. Plus what makes things cuter? Making them tiny! So tiny wombat = extra-adorable bunchiness! The facial expressions are priceless on both of the wombats and on the baby.

I'd use this for a storytime -the illustrations help make up for the sparse text. While the Wombat series in general could be a good addition to storytimes on Australia (or wombats in particular - a surprising number of books out there on them!), thi
Shanna Gonzalez
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Jackie French's wombat is back, this time with a baby who tells her own story through "diary" entries complemented by visual scenes. These humorously highlight the difference between the baby's perspective and that of her mother. In the course of a week the young wombat befriends a human child, helps her mother look for a new hole, and eventually finds her way inside the human house.

While it would be impossible to equal the brilliance of the original Diary of a Wombat, this is a pretty good foll
CuteBadger
Mothball the wombat is back and now she has a cute baby. I was severely over-excited when I found out about this book, but found it my least favourite of the three wombat diaries. It seems to have less plot (I know the others aren't War and Peace, but there is a plot of sorts which isn't present here) and the human baby isn't particularly appealling.

However, anything with wombats and in particular baby wombats is ok by me, so I did enjoy it - just not as much as I enjoyed the other two diaries.
Chelsea
Very cute, but I doubt anything French does will live up to the sheer joy of the original Diary of a Wombat.

(I've always thought that was unfair: you create something fantastic, and from then on all you ever hear is "sure, it's no Fantastic Thing, but it's a good effort". Ah, well. Keep writing Jackie French!)
Kayla
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a disappointment. I might have enjoyed this book more if I had never read Diary of a Wombat (the original) but I had such high expectations--love the first book--and this just wasn't even close to being the laugh out loud, read and reread type of children's book that it's predecessor is. Kind of bummed out. The kids thought the baby wombat was cute. In all fairness, this would probably be a 3-star if I had never read the first book.
Jaime Sanborn
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Diary of a Baby Wombat by Jackie French. This is an adorable companion to Diary of a Wombat. In this story, the baby wombat likes to explore and discovers a friend in a baby human. The two babies get into all sorts of playful situations. The mama wombat is tired of squeezing her active baby into their small burrow so the hunt for a larger hole begins. These stories capture the curious personality of wombats with humor and wit. I find myself REALLY wanting a pet wombat!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dog in Charge
  • Imagine a Place
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Fuddles
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more

Wombat (7 books)
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • Christmas Wombat
  • Baby Wombat's Day
  • Wombat Goes to School
  • The Secret World Of Wombats
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day