Start by marking “Star Trek The Next Generation #47” as Want to Read:
Star Trek The Next Generation #47

Star Trek The Next Generation #47 (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47)

The unpredictable cosmic entity known only as Q has plagued Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the "Starship Enterprise"(TM) since their very first voyage together. But little is known of Q's mysterious past or that of the unearthly realm from which he hails. Now Picard must learn Q's secrets -- or all of reality may perish Ever since its discovery, the great galactic ...more
Published July 14th 1999 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek The Next Generation #47, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek The Next Generation #47

Dan
Jan 03, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tng
While this is a fun and interesting beginning to this story, that is all it is: a beginning. It is difficult to judge the story thus far as it is frustratingly incomplete. What is Q trying to tell Picard? Why are the Calamarain being so belligerant towards the Enterprise? What is the menace that lurks outside the galactic barrier? As we learn more about 0 and his relationship with the young Q, hopefully these questions and more will be answered.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2015/10/T.
Richard Sampson
Very good book. A better review to come when I finish the third book.
Conan Tigard
Q-Space takes place on a new Enterprise-E, so must occur just after the second movie, First Contact, since that is when the new ship is introduced. The story focuses on two divergent storylines: 1) Q showing Picard bits and pieces of Q's own past, and 2) Riker and the Enterprise trying to run Lem Faal's experiments with the Great Galactic Barrier, which impedes exploration beyond the rim of the Milky Way.

I was really looking forward to reading this book because I just really love Q. And Greg C
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Q-Continuum trilogy is one of the most irritating ones I have read. It's packed with potential left unused (Q...), stereotypical and inaccurate characterization (Deanna...), and annoying little mistakes for nitpickers (Betazoid eyes being brown instead of black, Federation phaser beams being red instead of orange, Troi being a Liutennant Commander instead of Commander, transporter beams being gold instead of silver... etc.), wich are present in other books by Greg Cox as we ...more
Anja Braun
May 13, 2010 Anja Braun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: TNG fans, Q fans
At Starfleet's command the enterprise takes on Lem Faal, a Betazoid scientist and his two children. The ship will take part in an experiment concerning the Galatic Barrier.For centuries it has blocked the Federation's exploration beyond the Milky Way.He believes he can open up a breach in the barrier that will allow the Enterprise to pass through. Suddenly Q appears and warns Cpt. Picard that it is a very bad idea to break the barrier. Then Q's other half and baby Q appears. All sorts of chaos h ...more
Josh Shannon
Nov 02, 2015 Josh Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great beginning to a story I'd been hoping to read for a long time. Q has always been my favorite character in the Star Trek Universe, and to be able to look back into his beginnings , and understand him more is a huge thrill for me. Greg Cox definitely nailed Q's persona while writing him, and also built a intriguing story for the Enterprise crew as well. What is beyond the barrier? what is watching through the other side? Why does it hate the Q so much? What are the Calimari trying ...more
Isiah
Jul 02, 2008 Isiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously a sci-fi fan, really who else would read these books? Being an avid fan of Star Trek (NOT a Trekkie) and Q being my favorite recurring character it was almost mandatory I check out this short trilogy and suffice it to say I liked all three books. It's mainly about an old friend/nemesis of Q's that pops up again and starts to cause problems and naturally Q seeks out the Enterprise for assistance because when you are an omnipotent being of course you would need some help from lowly human ...more
K
Mar 01, 2014 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent TNG book featuring two of my favorite minor characters. Q and Broccoli, I mean Barclay. The book takes place after the TNG series ends and Worf is already on DS9.

The author did a great job of capturing the likeness of all the characters, Picard, Q, Riker, Data, and Geordi. I did feel that Barclay was a little too over the top in his nervousness/clumsiness. For some reason, I seem to remember him making improvements during TNG. Either way, still a great opening to the Q Continuum trilo
Min
Mar 08, 2015 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book chosen on the whim of another when I needed a book to read. A pleasant surprise, honestly. I am not a huge Star Trek fan but I caught most of the references made in the book. I do enjoy those quick glances of other times and places in a series, it gives an almost instant depth to a work. The Q was a character that intrigued me, immediately. The opportunity to know more about Q, interested me more.
I wouldn't call this a great read, but definitely an enjoyable time to fill in some hours.
Hettie
Aug 16, 2014 Hettie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, read-2014
Did not enjoy this one. I got annoyed by Picard and Riker and the new security chief was 'shot shot shot'. I found the plot very predictable and have not bothered to read the other 2 books. I did read the last chapter of the last book in the 3 to confirm the plot and it held no surprises.

I'm hoping that it was just this book that I did not enjoy and that the other TNG books will be better. Maybe there is a reason that I stuck to TOS books as a teenager.
Scarlett Sims
Aug 26, 2013 Scarlett Sims rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this has Q in it, so you know it's gonna be good, but it also has a LadyQ and a babyq. I also thought it was appropriate that my (dubiously obtained) e-book kept doing weird things like skipping pages, then losing pages that had been there before.

Just bear in mind, this takes place pretty late--after First Contact, and there are some references to DS9 and Voyager, so I wouldn't read it if you haven't watched at least all of TNG and possibly some of what comes after.
Lynn
Jul 17, 2011 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-fiction
Not a huge Star Trek fan (much preferred B5), but I did enjoy the Next Gen series, and this author really captured the different personalities -- especially Data, whose voice I could hear as I read his lines as clearly as if he were reading them to me, and Q, who was always fun. Now I'll have to track down books 2 & 3 of this series, as my library doesn't have them. This was a nice mental break.
Carl Bussema
Jul 09, 2012 Carl Bussema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Picked up for cheap at used book sale. The entire trilogy could have been collapsed into a duology but isn't bad as-is. A nice, believable exploration of Q's past (more in book 2/3) and the galactic barrier that has been referenced in several episodes (TOS and TNG) and one forgettable movie (V).
Angela
May 05, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Q visits the Enterprise to try and stop them running an experiment on the great barrier. This is a lot of fun, and very well written. It does end on a cliffhanger so make sure you've got the next book in the series.
omiczech
Aug 02, 2015 omiczech rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Lightly funny story with Q, his wife and kid bothering the Enterprise's crew on their mission. Instead of Q snapping his fingers and solve everything we have trilogy with a story that would fit in a book. Plus plenty fo references to various star trek events from all the movies and series.
Solomon Woytowich
Feb 20, 2014 Solomon Woytowich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Got to love a Q story
Steve
Mar 14, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Story
Kimberly
Sep 08, 2009 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this series. But I love Q, so that's probably why.
Gemma
May 19, 2016 Gemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Q never fails to ammuse me!
Steve
Shelves: star-trek
OUTSTANDING!!
Joshua
May 18, 2013 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the Q-Continuum series.
Emily
Jun 28, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All fans of Q.
Q was one of my favourite characters from Star Trek and I wasn't disappointed by this trilogy. Quite interesting to see Q vulnerable when he's at his maximum power actually.
Paraskevi Oppio
This trilogy was really good. Brilliant writing. Q is one of my favorite characters in the Star Trek universe.
Cathy
Jan 13, 2009 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I adore anything "Q", this book was just so-so.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Cox is brilliant.
Steven Taiclet
I liked the whole Q-Continuum series, definitely got my mind going.
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2013
Ron Hartley
Ron Hartley rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • I, Q
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Devil's Heart (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)