Start by marking “Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent” as Want to Read:

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Based on the author's popular tumbler blog stuffhipstershate, which has been called Depressingly astute by the The New Yorker and Wickedly funny by The Frisky, comes the ultimate book on hipsterdom. From the dive bars of Brooklyn's Williamsburg to the dirty alleys of San Francisco's Mission, the urban hipster has redefined American cool with a sighing disdain for everythin ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Ulysses Press (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stuff Hipsters Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuff Hipsters Hate

Seamus Enright
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the other reviewers need to lighten up (or whatever people say nowadays, dude).

If you're looking for a serious study of Millenials, a book whose title begins and ends with the words "stuff" and "hate" probably isn't the best place to look. On the other hand, if you want an amusing read that'll make you laugh and pass away a few hours, you could do a lot worse. It's a welcome antidote to Norman Mailer's solemn essay on the original 50's hipsters.

I realised I'm more of a hipster than I tho
Mike Caulfield
A book that should have stayed a blog. It seems promising at first, but draaagggggggssssss. Could be re-released as an extremely funny pamphlet.
Matt
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starts off very funny but drags on and on. Started as a blog, I think? Maybe should have stayed that way. The chapter on dating should have been kept towards the middle or the end, as it sort of set the stage for me to not like the rest of the book. The dating chapter reads as though the 2 authors moved to NY, dated a bunch of hipsters, and then ended up jaded and bitter because of it. Jokes range from hilarious to downright cringe-inducing, and it colors the whole book in a way I did not antici ...more
Amelia
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining at best. The intro is quite promising, the hilarity derived from its completely serious tone. But after that the authors switch gears seemingly every few pages, going off on all sorts of tangents. The book loses effectiveness first due to double-dipping; if you're going in to make fun of hipsters, stick to making fun of hipsters, don't suddenly start making fun of jocks and sorority girls; it comes off as unfocused and petty. In fact quite a bit of the book seems petty, espec ...more
Abbie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book negative stars, I would.

What appears to be a joke from a blog is really just crap that should have stayed on the internet, if even that.

This book just reinforces stereotypes and labeling people and no matter how many people tell me it's funny and supposed to be humorous and harmless, I just can't agree. As I found humor in maybe half a page in the entire book, this is basically a good number of pages for people to equip in their stereotyping weaponry.

Because of the t
Bree
Apr 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful, non-fiction
It went too much in depth of a hipster. I was expecting each page to be a different category and maybe only 50 pages at the most. This is a full size book with lots of different categories that you would expect like "Hipsters dating" but then there were many that were not needed. I read the introduction, which I normally don't do, and while their observations were very spot on. It mostly based off the ladies dating experience so most of these reflect hipster guys, not girls. I thought it was goi ...more
Jimmie
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So...imagine Christian Landler goes to a party in Bed-Stuy, gets turned down by the hot tattoo artist girl he's been lusting after for months so he gets wasted on coke and PBRs, then wakes up on the steps of a brownstone in Park Slope feeling like that crusty stuff on the ass-fur of his beloved-but-never-groomed Persian cat, Galaga, and decides he's gonna write a book. This is the book he would've written instead of "Stuff White People Like."
Rena
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining. Easy read (I read it today at work) that reminded me why I dislike the extremely self-absorbed overly literary types. They are so boring to talk to and so completely caught up in their own greatness. Grow up already! That being said, I do know a lot of people who are a little hipster who I do really enjoy. I'm sure the characters examined for this book are over the top.
Matimate
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, humour, 2012
What is a hipster? The book gives you an answer about this species. The habitat, food habits and mating rituals are packed with the description of clothing and life circle of true hipster. It supposed to be funny study of the phenomena. I think hipsters are behind it...

...

for sure.
Ryann
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little funny at times, but way too long. Should've just been an article. I live in Portland, hipster heaven, and thought it might be more broadly hipster focused and funny, but it mostly focused on Brooklyn.
Mary
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-2011, nook, humor
Eh.

It started out kind of amusing, but by the end it just sounded bitter and jaded and was pretty boring. It would have been a super fast read if I hadn't gotten so bored in the middle and quit reading it to read other (better) books instead.
Daniel Joda
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! One of the funniest books I have ever read. Of course you have to have had some expierence in dealing with hipsters to fully get what the book is making fun of. It is so spot-on though, loved it!
Angelica Deranleau
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Laughed super-duper hard. Completely related to the overly-stereotypical mind of the tragic, new-age "mountain man" hipster. A joke the whole way through!
E. Kahn
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up thinking it would be a meanspirited and funny look at the hipster subculture and I was half right. It ain't funny.
Sara
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. And true. At least in Portland, OR.
T.
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun, easy read.
Amy Sheridan
Apr 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what a piece of self-indulgent crap, I couldn't even finish it - it reads like the bitter blog of someone who was dumped by a hipster or twelve.
Julia
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-eyes, ebook, 2011
I really liked it a lot.
The stuff in there? It's funny, because it's true.
Roxy
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was good for a few chuckles, but forgettable
Polette
really cool and funny, and stuff you would like to learn, funny drawings to go with it too.. loved it!!!!
Abby
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was pretty funny at first, but it got old fast. Funny blog doesn't equal funny book. It was just too long and repetitive.
Anna
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want three and a half stars, actually. Funny and accurate - a light read. Not life-changing, but really, it's about hipsters: were you expecting it to change your life?
Antti
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it in 2010 and now in 2016 again.

What a difference! Elite hipsterdom is now main politics, and it is popular everywhere.
Kate
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Amusing
Christine
This book was brutally true and some parts were funny here and there. It's not too memorable though. I'm glad it was a quick read.
Nico
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Really not a joke with sustainability for an entire book. Probably should've been about half as long. It got old fast.
Robin
Sep 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Funny idea for a blog, however, not so good in book form.
Zoe Right
Dec 18, 2010
Rob Dirscherl
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I got this book for a dollar 1 3 Aug 24, 2012 07:44PM
  • American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • The Hipster Handbook
  • State by State with the State: An Uninformed, Poorly Researched Guide to the US
  • Made for Each Other: The Biology of the Human-Animal Bond (Merloyd Lawrence Books)
  • Otaku: Japan's Database Animals
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • Damage Control: Women on the Therapists, Beauticians, and Trainers Who Navigate Their Bodies
  • Among the Cannibals: Adventures on the Trail of Man's Darkest Ritual
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • Unto Others: The Evolution and Psychology of Unselfish Behavior
  • A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books
  • Back to Our Future: How the 1980s Explain the World We Live in Now--Our Culture, Our Politics, Our Everything
  • Fashion: A Very Short Introduction