Start by marking “101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die” as Want to Read:
101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die

101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die

Fully updated and revised in 2013, 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die is a whisky guide with a difference. It is not an awards list. It is not a list of the 101 'best' whiskies in the world in the opinion of a self-appointed whisky guru. It is simply a guide to the 101 whiskies that enthusiasts must seek out and try in order to complete their whisky education.

Avoiding the
Published November 15th 2010 by Headline (first published September 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die

Marco Ceccarelli
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An essential tool to discover the incredible world of whisky. Recommended to beginners and enthusiasts alike.
Mike Sumner
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought it might be prudent to stop, having tried 100, not wanting to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet! Anyway, this is a terrific book for anyone who enjoys whisky, or indeed, whiskey. A guide to 101 whiskies that enthusiasts should seek out and try, according to the author Ian Buxton, an eclectic selection of some of his favourites, some stellar newcomers and some mystifyingly unknown drams. Some of my own preferences are here: Aberlour Highland single malt, Ballantine’s 17 YO blend, Bo ...more
Robert Williams
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The premise of this book is good. Not a list of the 101 best whiskies but a guide to 101?that you should seek out and try. The problem is that he goes and spoils that by focusing heavily on scotch and recommending various expressions of the same whisky e.g. 3 versions of The Macallan.

It's interesting but it could have been so much better if he done what he said he was going to do.
Joshua Feldman
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whisky
101 World Whiskies is, initially it seems, very like the extremely well regarded tome Ian Buxton wrote a few years prior, 101 Whiskies To Try Before You Die, which did so very much to fan the flames of Scotch appreciation in its current renaissance of popularity. Ian Buxton is a distinguished writer of many books, articles, and columns in top whisky magazines such as Whisky Advocate. He's the kind of guy who knows absolutely everybody and is one of the folks who gets invited to taste and describ ...more
Cristhian
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro de Ian Buxton (@101whiskies) fue uno de los regalos de mi esposa y, se ha vuelto -de manera peligrosa-, un To Do List. Actualmente (julio 2017) puedo decir que he probado 23/101 con dos más en camino (Clynelish de 14 años y The Singleton of Glen Ord de 12 años).

Me sorprende la cantidad tan variada de drams (49) que podemos conseguir con relativa facilidad en México, (estos dos últimos que vienen en camino son algo complicados de conseguir en UK) por lo que el challenge de los 101 par
Tomasz Stachewicz
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I might not agree with all of the choices, it's still a great guide to whiskies worth trying at least once. I have deep respect for sticking to "no limited releases" rule and focusing on widely available bottles of whisky.
Tomasz Stachewicz
Really good choice of 101 whiskies, of all types and price ranges. While I might have a personal preference to substitute author's choice for a different whisky here and there, it's still a very solid list well worth going through.
Alex Bleach
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex by: alexanderbleachwriter@gmail.com
Easy read, non-patronising and unpretentious. Covers a lot of obvious choices and a few obscure ones.
Vijaya Kumar
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More affordable

Honestly I believe that the book is written to keep the available whiskies...I some how didn't like it .... ...
Katherine Simmons
It is a good list of buyable whiskies that will cover the bases written in a friendly manner
Scott
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good reading...

If you live in the U.K.
The US needs a version of this. He does a great job of introducing all of the different types of whisk(e)y but the selection is U.K. based.
j_ay
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't tried many of these...so far just 6 of 101. So far.

1- Aberfeldy, 21 Years Old
18 - Blue Hanger
19 - BNJ, Bailie Nicol J
Matt
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great style of book, would they be my 101 whiskies probably not, some are firm favourites others I've not tried or don't like. What I like is the fact it's not the "best" it's just 1 mans opinion with honest taste notes and a dedicated space on each page for personal notes. I've decided to try ad sample as many on here as possible before I die like the book suggests. I'm doing well as over the years I've tried just under half of them.
Laurel Bradshaw
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice, concise guide to whisky without a lot of gibberish about the history and making of whisky. Just a page (and a picture) for each of Ian Buxton's choices, with some basic facts (often humorous and occasionally snarky). I liked the variety. It includes not just single malt Scotch, but blends, American ryes and bourbons, Japanese and other world whiskies. I doubt I will ever try all 101, but I found a few recommendations that I want to try. Clearly written for a UK market, so I don't know wh ...more
Keith
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
The opening lines of the introduction say it all:

[This] is not an awards list.

It is not a list of the 101 'best' whiskies in the world.

It is simply, as it says in the title, a guide to 101 whiskies that enthusiasts really should seek out and try—love them or hate them—to complete their whisky education.

The author has selected 101 whiskies from around the world representing a range of tastes and styles. There are single malts and blended whiskies, bourbons and ryes, whiskies from major producers
Imillar
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's make one thing clear: I hate whiskey, but I love this book. I'll leave it to the other reviewers to tell you why it's an entertaining and excellent reference (which it is), but here's what you really need to know: it's funny. Yes, funny. Under the heading for Revel Stoke Spiced Whiskey,for example, Buxton describes the distillery location as "A blend with some stuff in it". A whole new geography of drinking obviously awaits you here. For the Johnnie Walker Diamond Jubilee Whiskey, the loca ...more
Ron
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a book I may never finish and the clue is in the title. I saw the author speak at the Pitlochray theatre and his knowledge of whisky and the industry is extensive. This is an unpretentious and practical guide for enthusiasts who, to use the authors words, are "real people". The whiskies he enumerates are for the most part accessible by cost and can be sourced. He deliberately excludes those ridiculous ones in Lalique crystal decanters or similar at fantastic prices.

I will delight in tic
Collegiate
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great... Will point you in the direction of some great drams. Not a rating system book that will will frustrate you with rating scores out of 100 that make insignificant sense when comparing completely different types whiskies. Humorous writing pointing out the numerous contradictions and hypocrisies of the scotchy world. Generally realistically attainable bottles. This book will will keep you busy if you are in the mood to try lots of different stuff from lots of different places (or better yet ...more
Parrish Lantern
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book that cuts through the clutter, decodes the marketing hype and gets straight to the point; whether from India, America, Sweden, Ireland, Japan or the hills, glens and islands of Scotland, here are the 101 whiskies that you really want to taste.

Jorgen Lundgren
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual, whisky
Good book with a wide range of whiskies. Appreciate that Ian included my favourites such as the Ardbeg, Kavalan and the Japanese one's. This book explored and gave me new insight to some others which been added to my wish list to keep my eyes on during my travels.I have a different opinion regarding the Swedish mackmyra but I shall try it again to see if my old brothers can convince me. Slante.
Ron
Mar 07, 2012 is currently reading it
Currently reading my way thru this fascinating book. If only I had enough money I could be drinking my way thru it, which would probably be even more fun. I guess I have come a long, long way from Ripple and Boone's Farm and the other indiscretions of my youth!
Tom
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting to do list, and I am looking forward to making some progress on the listed items. The list us written from an UK point of view and out might be a challenge to find some of these whiskeys in North America.
Tony
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
A little gem. Any book that introduces you to Glenfarclas 21 yr old, Green Spot and Hedonism can't be bad!

Dipra Lahiri
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, food-and-drink
Great read for the whisky enthusiast, written in an accessible style, plenty of great recommendations.
Stephanie
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, february
A highly useful tasting guide that is unfortunately marred by the author's unabashed biases and the inclusion of whiskies you are unlikely to every try (Johnnie Walker Diamond Jubilee, for example).
Richard Mayston
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terrific list guaranteed to broaden your whisky horizons. If you are stick in a peat rut and don't know which of the 4000+ whiskies to try next, this book is just the ticket.
Chris Hays
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
best whiskey book I have read. I like the style and insights. looking forward yo writing my own notes in about the different flairs.
Christopher Kidder-mostrom
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
I'm using this as a practical guide. Brilliant so far.
Ranjeet Sodhi
Jan 13, 2015
Anton Cvetkov
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The World Atlas of Whisky: More Than 350 Expressions Tasted - More Than 150 Distilleries Explored
  • Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide
  • The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance
  • Wine Wars
  • The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee
  • Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (2009)
  • The Bartender's Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar
  • The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits
  • The Geometry of Pasta
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • India: The Cookbook
  • Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine
  • American Whiskey, Bourbon & Rye: A Guide to the Nation's Favorite Spirit
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian