Start by marking “Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories” as Want to Read:
Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories

Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
The group of stories known as The Arabian Nights or The Thousand and One Nights is believed to have originated in the East during the early Middle Ages. The tales first appeared in a Western translation in France in 1704. This selection of favorite Arabian Nights stories, with new illustrations by Thea Kliros, features a multitude of colorful characters — devious magicians ...more
Published May 4th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories

NoraReads
A really enjoyable read filled with magic, kings and queens, Princesses and princes, and Caliphs. The story of Aladdin was very very different from the one I know and love. I guess it was good to know the real version of the story. But I honestly prefer the Disney version.
Lilian
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was a fun short read , filled with magic and happy endings .
Ben
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have never read Arabian Nights in full, but I have wanted to for some time, and now that desire to read the entire collection of stories is heightened after reading this short collection of six of the Arabian Nights tales with my son. The stories included in this work are: "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp," "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" and "The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor," all stories popularized in Western pop culture, and three lesser known tales, "Abou Hassan" (my son's favorite, ...more
Mohammed Abdul Rob
A book filled with enchanted tales from the far east. This is one I love to read. Even as an adult I see myself not putting the book down and diving into the sandy deserts of Arabia. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to loose themselves in another land, with culture so strong the words that come off the pages makes you feel like you have went back in time.

The story orientates around a kings anger at his former queen; who he had beheaded for not keeping her marital vows. The king marry
Julesmarie
My review of this is colored by the fact that my school chose this as one of my literature books to read and discuss with my 3rd grade class this year. The stories in themselves were interesting; some even fascinating. To see the different elements that another culture includes in their fairy tales was a lot of fun.

These stories are VIOLENT though! In the Ali Baba story itself, a man gets quartered and the pieces hung around the door to the cave to discourage other potential thieves. His brother
Sam Zhang
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very special. Even though i didn`t finish this book or even near the ending, it is a nice book. i never read a book like this, it is keep telling a tale after a tale and after a tale. It`s keeps going on and on to another tale. It is like a huge box and inside the box, there are another box ,inside the other box, there are more boxes. So this is my first time reading this kind of book. I think it is very intersting. I can`t wait what will happen later on.... ...more
Danielle
Though I knew of the Arabian Nights stories, I wasn’t super familiar with any of them prior to reading this. I really enjoyed the stories included in this collection, and I’m definitely interested in learning more about Middle Eastern culture after this.

I liked how the stories towards the beginning overlapped with each other and kept the connection going further and further. Things kept escalating to comedic effect, but each story was still enjoyable on its own, too. I thought the translation wa
KaylaW
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original story is really weird and really different from the movie we all know, but it is still good!
Elaine Bidstrup
Almost everyone is familiar with Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, Sinbad the Sailor and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, but those familiar tales are only a minor part of the tales in this book. Most of the other tales involve handsome princes and beautiful princesses who fall in love merely be seeing each other. The tales are supposed to take place in Muslim countries, but there is a lot of wine drinking, which I believe the Islamic religion forbids.
The style in which these tales were written is for
Ebookwormy1
The Arabian Nights are famous for their magnificent storytelling, and their illumination of the Eastern world. This translation is simple and literal while maintaining some of the poetry and mystery of the stories, as accomplishment to be sure.

However, the brutality of stories, even when told in such a matter-of-fact manner, cannot be hidden. Certainly, much of the literature of the middle ages is considered violent or carnal by the contemporary reader, but the values system is disconcerting, e
Erika Maruo
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. PUFFIN CLASSICS
2.11/6 = 15 minutes, 11/7 = 20 minutes, 11/8 = 15 minutes, 11/11 = 15 minutes
3. brohter - woman - tales - farmer - fisherman - Jinee - story
4.Q: When the person asks you to help him/her, would you help him/her who is not kind to you? Why or why not?
A: I would help him/her because I do not want to be hated any more by him/her.
5. In this book, there are many interesting stories such as the tale of Fisherman and the Jinee. This story's Jinee is the same as Genie of Aladdin by Disn
John Lucy
What is a grown man doing reading Aladdin or the other tales of the Arabian Nights? Well, though these stories have been annexed by children's literature, they are quite good in their own right. Unfortunately, however, what makes the Arabian Nights tales truly great is the frame story: Scheherazade telling stories to save her life. The frame story then adds quality to all the other tales because of the stories told within the tales. It's quite clever. This edition of the Arabian Nights, as well ...more
Kelly
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who wants to learn about important morals.
1-i liked it because it taught me a moral about life. this taught me to never repay good with evil, and to mind my own business. this way i will never be put in situation, tht i cant get out of.
2-i thought the fact that it was a frame story wa a little complicated. i had to remember who was telling each individual story and why were they telling the story.
3-i learned that its good to mind your own business or you will be repentant in your actions. i also learned to never repay good with evil bec
Elaine
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection includes several folk tales from India, Persia and Arabia, told within the framework of the Arabian Nights story, was translated directly from the original Arabic and intended for a younger audience, ages 10 and up. The familiar story of Aladdin is just one of many tales the beautiful and accomplished Shahrazad tells her husband, a king who has been marrying – and killing – a new wife everyday. But by keeping him entertained with stories of genies and kings, magicians and maidens ...more
Ryota Kawachi
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Ladder Series Level3
2. 9/30=120
3. king, brother, queen, executions, sesame, robbers, lamp
4a. That afternoon the king was married, and the next morningthe wife was executed.
4b. This is too much. He will kill many wifes. It's really terrible.
5. There are three tales which the queen told the king not kill her in this book. I enjoyed all stories, but many people died in the stories. So when I finished reading, I was not good feeling. Arabian Night has more stories. I'm interested in any other sto
Alice
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Aladdin and other Tales from the Arabian Nights is a very interesting book. Every chapter is unique, but at the same time, they are related to one another. My favorite part is the outter story (Shahrazad and Shahriyar), how Shahrazad convince Shahriyar to change without him noticing. As a student, I learn a lot from this book. Shahrazad told stories to Shahriyar, but we are also learning from it (moral: don't repay good with evil). The most difficult part about this book is the frame story. If y
Evonne Z
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was quite interesting. I like the fact that there were stories inside of stories, telling characters about morals and hinting about what they're doing wrong. People can learn from their mistakes and learn about the good things to do in life. This book inspired me to tell stories about random things, but have a moral in it. If my sister is doing bad, I tell her to work harder and motivate them. I tell them the bad things of what they are doing now and good things if they change.
Ashley
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1.what did you like about the book?
well it had manny parts to the story and i like when the fable leads to another fable

2. what didnt you like about the book?
to me it gets pretty confusing when each fable leads to another and whos telling the each story

3. what did you learn from reading this book?
one thing i learned from the fable the fisterman and the jinnee " dont repay good with evil"

4. what was difficult about this book?
the difficult thing about this book is the same as number to you dont
Wendy
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I can't say that this book was the best that i had read. I enjoyed reading about the fables and the tales that taught something. Eventhough this boook didn't grab my attention in the beginning, some of the strategies Shahrazad used to expressed the morals of the tales did surprise me. I had thought that she was going to tales some individual tales with a few basic lessons to tell Shariyar. The difficult part in reading this book was that it was sort of hard to NOT reading on and understand ...more
Michelle Wu
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aladdin and other tales from the arabian nights is a book with unique chapters. Each chapter is about a different story but some how they find a way to connect with each other and come together to become one story.I might read this book again because there are some chapters of the books that I didnt read and it might be fun to read it. I recommend this book to every one especially the people that like fables. but this book has alot of hard names.
Maribel
while reading this book i learned that you should mind your own business like in the tale of the donkey, the ox and the farmer. I did kind of enjoy reading this book because through out the whole story every tale teaches a moral. and the only part that i didnt like was that at the end of every tale it left you hanging, just wanting to read the next tale.But i think if it wasnt for ms. jones i would of never read this book.
Alondra V.
Even though this book has a tale within a tale within a tale, it's very interesting. The book keeps you entertained because after each tale, a new tale comes. The confusing thing about the book is that each tale connects to the first one. The book is really great because you learn new things form each tale. I recommend this book to everyone who loves to red. Even if you don't like to read, i recommend this book to you.
Amanda
Honestly? Boring.

I know the tale of Aladdin has been passed down over and over, and the version I read may just have been a block of text - but it had so little going for it. Sure, Aladdin meats a magician, talks with a genie, gets the girl. But everything is so easy for him.

I actually prefer a little gusto in Aladdin, chasing the girl, coming clean about the genie - freeing the genie.

Also, songs. And Robin Williams.
Peter
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting. I never read a frame story before but I hope they have similar characteristics as this book. I like how every story flowed into one another and flowed back into the prolugue story of King Shahriyar. I also like how each story has a lesson to teach Shahriyar and even the people in the sub-stories like the fisherman and the jinnee. I don't think there is anything I hate about this book.
Stephanie Luna
I found this book really intresting and sort of fun. Its a preety good book that I would reread again or atleast finish reading the whole book. What I dont like from this book is;the name itslef. This is what made me think the book was going to be boring but it wasnt. I learned a lot from this book; it was plainly full of lessons. There was nothing really difficult. In the end I think this is a preety good and easy to read book.
Christine
I think the Arabian Nights was an interesting book but yet confusing. I didnt really understand it as much as I thought I would. Some of the tales were really entertaining and funny and I really enjoyed reading it. Some of the other tales werej just boring and confusing to me. In order to understand the book, you really have to pay attention closely to the details, the most simplest details are the most important details.
Kayo Nakagaki
1. IBC Publishing level 3

2. 10/19 50min 10/20 35min

3. poor, father, dead, lamp, magician, princess, kingdom

4. a The next morning the Sultan was very surprised to wake up and see Aladdin's palace standing in the distance.
b It was so surprising for the Sultan why palace is standing in the distance.

5.I like ”Aladdin” of a disney movie. However, this story is different to that. Finally, it's good that Aladdin and princess become happy.
Cody
A fun and excellent series of adventures in a fantastical world of djinn and rocs and magic and morals, all for the purpose of taming a vindictive sultan and gently healing his heartbreak through the power of story. Reading this over the course of a year helped me find greater compassion for each of the different travelers I encounter and the patient wisdom to listen to their stories for what I can learn from them on my own journey.
Nina
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting because of all the little lessons in between the stories. That is one big reason I liked this story it was very informative and taught me more about arabian tales and how they should be told. The storys were also very entertaining with all the detailed scenes and beautifull stories. I like this story because it makes you thinks with all of stories framing each other. Overall im glad I read this story for class!
LuCiita VaNessa FernándEz
"The Arabian Nights" was truly a facinating book. Although it was hard to really follow on it because of its many characters, the plot ws certainly entertaining. "The Arabian Nights" starts off with a betrayal and ends once again in trust. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in tales. From this book, you will also learn some important morals. Overall,the "The Arabian Nights" is a must read for entertainment.
  • Ali and the Golden Eagle
  • All the Small Poems and Fourteen More
  • Theras and His Town
  • Teresa of Calcutta: Serving the Poorest of the Poor
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Tales of a Korean Grandmother: 32 Traditional Tales from Korea
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Trojan War
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Red Sand, Blue Sky
  • Daughter of the Mountains
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
“You may see by this, that when a woman has formed a project, no one can hinder her from putting it into execution.” Then said the two kings:” 2 likes
“brother, ever since you came to my court I have seen you” 0 likes