Start by marking “Terms of Surrender” as Want to Read:
Terms of Surrender

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Terms of Surrender

(Terms #1)

The War Between the States not only destroyed all Michael Cantrell loved, it left the young, former Confederate cavalry officer without faith or hope, a solitary, haunted man trying to escape his demons in the vast western frontier. Then, one spring day along the Wind River, he finds himself suddenly in the thick of another life-and-death struggle -- Annie Devlin’s war.

Des
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about Terms of Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terms of Surrender

Mei
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A lovely romance with a flavour of old western movies!

I kept imagining Michael as John Wayne!!! O_O

It is very well written with good descriptions and the right amount of inner musigs.

I liked both Michael and Annie. Both are honorable and hard working people. They're just right for each other.

Their love story is a slow building, even if there's a strong attraction from the start.

I also like Annie's little brother Robbie: a sweet child who soon comes to idolize Michael.

The villains are sketch-th
Kathleen
Those who love Pamela Clare's MacKinnon's Rangers series, including Surrender, might like this book -- the first in a series of three, and Farrelly's debut book. For me, it was good, but there was a little too much murderous villainy. Like a pendalum, the plot sometimes swung from a happy event to a grim reprisal.

Yet well done, for all that. And definitely worth reading for its own sake, and to fully enjoy the sequels, Terms of Engagement and Terms of Temptation. The sequels offer many scenes
Celestine
It was such a refreshing change of pace to read a romance book with a hero who was actually a nice guy and not wallowing in despair or self-hate. To be sure, Michael Cantrell was scarred from his recent experience as a cavalry captain in the Confederate army, but author Lorrie Farrelly turns him into an optimistic survivor. He was in the West, wandering to find his new place in the world after losing his home and his family. Fortunately, he wanders right into the path of Annie and Robbie Devlin ...more
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Good story. Kept my interest. It was not run-of-the-mill like so many other romance stories.

I’m happy the couple did not have a fight-breakup, which most romance authors do. And there was no stupidity and none of my other pet peeves.

A trope I do not like is someone being framed for a crime and then having a long drawn out helpless guy in jail or being on the run. In this story a bad guy was planning a frame. I was worried I wasn’t going to like it. But when it played out, it wasn’t bad
Mark Tilbury
4.5* rounded up to 5*

This isn't a genre I'd normally choose to read or a period of history that I ever learnt about in detail (being from the UK,) but I decided to try a different genre and I'm glad I did.

What struck me the most about this book was how the author manages to pull you inside the story with her use of description. I'm not a fan of description that is not needed or overdone, but here you hear the sounds of war and witness the after effects as you read. It is really well done and enj
Julie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terms of Surrender by Lorrie Farrelly is an independently published 2010 release. I was provided a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Michael Cantrell is reeling from the effects of the Civil War. After losing his young brother and suffering from the massive loss of life witnessed during the war, Michael is empty on the inside. He has vowed to never set himself up to care for anyone else like he had for his brother because he couldn't bear the pain of losing them.
Layla
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The quality of writing in 'Terms of Surrender' raises it above most romantic fiction.

The setting is after the Civil War with all the aftermath of loss, suffering and confusion.

Captain Michael Cantrell is a young man whose experiences as a Confederate officer have aged him before his time. He has lost everything he once held dear, including his family and his home. He has travelled since the end of the war looking for a new beginning and a purpose in life.

Annie and her young brother Robbie are ru
Hiding-out-with-my-Kindle
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read from beginning to end.
Emmy
May 23, 2017 marked it as abandoned
This feels completely unoriginal. I feel like I've basically already read this book. Not going to waste any more time on a book that will be a 3 at best.
Lex Allen
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read my last western novel as a preteen. In those days, I’d devoured everything that Louis L’Amour published. Since those early years, I’ve moved through several favorite genres to include horror, high intensity political thrillers, science fiction, and more recently alternative history and religious conspiracy action and adventure stories. So, it was with some trepidation that I took on Ms. Farrelly’s “Terms of Surrender”. Listed as historical romance, it still spelled “western” to me and I e ...more
Christoph Fischer
"Terms of Surrender" by Lorrie Farrelly is a gripping and action packed historical novel set in the 1860ies. It concerns the romance between Michael Cantrell, former army officer, and Annie Devlin, a woman who is trying to defend her ranch against a gang of local bandits who want to force her off the land.
In a dramatic fight against those men Michael appears on Annie's farm, saving her but getting himself wounded. The romance between them develops as he recovers, but the threat does not go away.
Ju Ephraime
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terms of Surrender was a fabulous read for me. I have to admit when I began reading the prologue, I was not too thrilled, but as I continued into the book, it drew me in and I fell in love, first with Michael, and Annie, and then of course, young Robbie. Annie was a bit too head-strong for me, but I guess given the period in which the book was set, a woman had to have some backbone to survive. The passion between Michael and Annie lit up the pages. It pulsed like a living, breathing thing betwee ...more
Duane Petit
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok

I'm a fan of time period book's two of my favorites being western and the civil war era.Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of romance novels,with this being said it's not a big surprise I didn't find this to be a great read.Even though romance is not my thing I did like the book, and thought it was very well written.The author did a good job of world building and putting the reader in the post civil war era.After reading the book I can understand why it got so many high ratings even though it wa
Prairie Lover
I’m not sure why I am just now finding this author. This story was just the kind of yarn I like ... Civil war veteran, spinster sister raising her brother and running a ranch alone, hero saves, sparks fly, a little spice and a HEA. I’m on to the next book in the series... Terms of Engagement.
Pamela
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is a good read, I felt like there should've been a bit more history of the families involved in the book, the Devlins, the Cantrells and the Randolphs, and the romance between Michael and Annie seemed a little to sudden but all in all it was a alright book.
Forest McCartney
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was a great book very well written!
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nikita by: Lorrie Farrelly
Set in the period post the Civil War, Terms of Surrender poignantly narrates the story of Michael Cantrell, the young, brave and now emotionally battered young Captain who lost everything during the war including his family, his home and his peace of mind.
Ever since he has wandered trying to run away from his guilt (What's the guilt about, is for you to read and discover from the book), sadness and his hopelessness of never finding the solace of a home and love of someone he could care about!

The
Lita Burke
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Terms of Surrender by Lorrie Farrelly is a historical western romance about a former captain in the confederate army, Michael Cantrell, and his search for redemption in the ranch lands of Wyoming.

In the months following the American Civil War, the battlefield horrors have broken Michael’s spirit. He saw his beloved brother Gavin fall, and heartache consumes Michael. With nothing left of his life except for his warhorse Jet, a saber, and an army issue Colt Navy revolver, he rides Jet to the weste
Demelza Carlton
I can't say that I couldn't put this down, for there were a couple of places where I absolutely had to. I didn't want to read on because the tension was too much...for this romance has plenty of action (both in and out of the bedroom) and it was the clothed kind that had me on edge. Of course, that didn't last long - I picked it up again and kept right on reading...nailbiting suspense and all.

Annie's brilliant - a brave young woman who will stop at nothing. Perhaps it was my early connection wi
Carol
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story takes place post-Civil War. I don't think I've ever read a novel that addressed so extensively the residual prejudices (not just racial) that remained to be dealt with following the end of the War. This aspect of history was very well presented and was a thread throughout the story. The author's research seemed quite extensive and accurate. A little slow in the beginning, but I hung in because of the good reviews. The writing was excellent, and *very* well-edited (kudos to the author ...more
Jada Ryker
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surrender to Lorrie Farrelly’s Excellent Story

In Terms of Surrender, by Lorrie Farrelly, Michael Cantrell, a former captain the Confederate Army, is devastated by a lost war, young soldiers dead or maimed, and land scarred by battle. With only his saber, Navy Colt, his black thoroughbred stallion Jet, and his heavy heart, Michael heads west.

Determined to buy the ranches in the valley bisected by the Wind River, Colonel Elias Randolph waged a surreptitious war against Annie Devlin to drive her a
Felicia Mires
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a deft handling of a troubling time in US history. Usually, I dislike reading anything from the Civil War era, but this was without a doubt the best romantic adventure of that time that I've ever read. The characters were well-fleshed out. The mental anguish of the hero after the horrific events of the battlefield is gripping, as if the author had been there and knew what was in the minds of the soldiers. The heroine faces tragic circumstances. After she loses her parents, she has little ho ...more
S.R. Mallery
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A FINE LITERARY ROMANCE!

To me, what sets Lorrie Farrelly’s well-written TERMS OF SURRENDER historical fiction romance apart from many of the other books of that ilk is her fine, literary prose. In fact, in reading her love/sex scenes—and there are quite a few—I kept thinking, ‘Why, even her love making is poetic!’

But in the end, what resonated the most with me was the depth of her characters and her portrayal of how both post Civil War Northerners and Southerners were far from being healed. The
Jalpa Williby
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A tender and sweet love story...

This romance is a very sweet read. It takes place in the 1860’s in America so it was a nice change for me.

The heroine is left alone with her little brother, trying to handle her land. Unfortunately, there are people who want the land so she has many conflicts and struggles to hang on.

The story starts out with a bang. It captured my attention immediately. The hero comes in the picture right away and helps the damsel in distress.

I enjoyed how their relationship blo
Marsha Wright
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story, thank you, Lorrie Farrelly!

I usually don't do Civil War stories, but this one did not dwell, and slow with civil war data. Thanks for that. I do think the war refugees had a great deal to do with settling the west, and certainly American west speaking accents. I especially enjoyed the spiritual details, in my own life I have felt the guiding spirit of my mother, gone 22yrs. The love story was a perfect blend of not there yet, and not too much drilling to get there.
Scott Collins
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm normally not a romance reader, but this one caught my attention with its great reviews. I picked it up for my kindle, and boy am I glad I did. The writing is fantastic, the story engaging, the characters extraordinarily well developed. I felt what they felt. I wanted what they wanted. I couldn't wait to get through work so I could get back to reading. I've already purchased and read book two of the series, and it's also incredible. Great book!
Wendy Willett
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finding a future without having any hope is a great challenge

losing everything including the war of northern aggression, the only option is to go west. Saving a woman and a young boy almost cost him his life. this is a great story about the journey of a good man and his way back to living and finding love. I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed the story, characters, and highly recommend it.
Kathy Barter
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terms of surrender

Terms of surrender

This book is at the time right after the civil war ended. The story is good but there are sexual situations that are included. I did receive a free copy of this book for an honest review and though I prefer books with less sex I want to be fair to the author.
Leslie Mesmer
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but can't say I loved it. A good beach read.
I just never really fell in love with either Michael or Annie..
I did see enough promise in the writers style that I will try another book by her. I am not sure if she only writes historical romance. I would like to try a modern one instead.
Paula
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This book was a great read! I throughly enjoyed it. When an author can make the characters come to life and make the reader feel emotion, they have done their job superbly. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

• Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance Book 1)
  • Allie's Moon
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Luke's Eyes (Eyes of Silver Revisited, #2)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • The Stranger
  • Cash (Rock Creek Six, #6)
  • James (Circle Eight, #7)
  • One Texas Night
  • Reese (Rock Creek Six, #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Wolf's Tender (Eclipse Heat, #3)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Widow Woman
  • Emma's Journey
  • Under the Desert Moon
A Navy brat and graduate of the University of California, Santa Cruz, LORRIE FARRELLY is proud to be a Fightin' Banana Slug. Following graduate school at Northwestern University, she began a career in education that included teaching art to 4th graders, drama to 8th graders, and finally, math to high school students.

She's been a Renaissance nominee for Teacher of the Year, a ranch hand at Disneyla

Terms (3 books)
  • Terms of Engagement (Terms, #2)
  • Terms of Temptation (Terms #3)