Start by marking “One Thousand and One Arabian Nights” as Want to Read:
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights

Published January 6th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand and One Arabian Nights

Steven Walle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this book, the King was very disheartened with women. He claimed that a woman's love only lasts a day, so he would marry a young bride one morning and have her killed the next.
He then found a bride who would regail him with beautiful fanciful stories so the King kept her alive for one thousand and one nights.
I enjoyed this very much and would highly recommend it.
Enjoy and Be Blessed
Steven
Kate Lawrence
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'd tried several times in recent years to read a collection of the Arabian Nights tales, and kept getting bogged down in archaic language, unfamiliar cultural references, or versions that were too long. This rendition of 35 tales intended for younger readers, however, is vivid and concise, easily readable and--at 275 pages--not too simplified. Filled with magic, danger, deceit, talking animals, exotic locales, romance, abrupt changes of fortune, and poetic justice, the characters are drawn from ...more
Pooja Banga
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
King Shahryar kills a new wife every night, because he is afraid she will stop loving him. But his new bride Shahrazad has a clever plan to save herself. Her nightly stories--of Sinbad the Sailor, Ali Baba, and many other heroes and villains--are so engrossing that King Shahryar has to postpone her execution again and again... This illustrated edition brings together all the Arabian Nights tales in an original retelling by award-winning author Geraldine McCaughrean.
Shira
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
While the book had a beautiful ending, I think that this adaptation didn't really sit well with me, partly because of the many Europeanisations. I suspect that a better translation , or a longer adaptation, or just reading it in the original once I've learned those languages better.
Toast
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The translation was wonderful, I learnt more about the tales than before, the illustrations weren't that good and didn't support the stories which was a shame but then they let my imagination do the work. Great to read or to read aloud. No wonder its a classic.
Toast
Kristigilbert5
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't recommend this as a book to share with young kids; explaining a king's killing a new wife every night is a bit too gruesome. But it has been wonderful to read these old tales on my own and share them with my older kids. I am amazed by the creativity of the human race. These stories are centuries old!
cady_D
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I liked the emotions of Shaharazad and the King, and the stories she told were suspenseful and full of emotion. My favorite part (one of them) was at the end, when the King and Shaharazad ebded up together
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Although, some of the stories were a little bit boring. I liked how most of the stories had a message for Sharyar of what he could improve on. I think that was a really good idea. There were also many stories that reminded me of other stories like The Story Of The Anklet.
Rubaina
This book was really good. I normally don't like folktales, but this book really changed my perspective on them. The book also taught me a lot about Arabic culture and Islam.
Jennifer Spiers
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection - I had only heard some of the stories before in much more simplified versions/tv adaptations so this was a great retelling.

Use in the classroom:

A collection of traditional tales retold in a simplified form (though not overly simplified - suitable for upper KS2-KS3 readers and adults). I read it in fits and starts as and when this was used in a Year 5 / 6 class as the class book, guided reading text, and link to the topic of Ancient Islam. Although not quite the intent
Nevan Taskhir
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Fairy Tale
READING LEVEL: Grades 7-12

SYNOPSIS:
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights is a collection of tales from the Islamic Golden Age. The story begins with where a king finds out that his first wife is unfaithful, and has her beheaded the next day. The king then swears to marry a different woman each night before killing her the following morning to prevent further betrayal. Then, the king encounters a different woman, who is the Wazir's daughter. She conducts a plan to end this pattern
Umit N
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights.

In this book, a king, King Shahryar, is introduced as a king who kills a newly married wife every night, in fear of her love being lost to another man. This adds an intriguing sense to the beginning of the book, in my opinion.

Quite an amazing book! The stories Shahrazad tells are very detailed, and descriptive, and all end very nicely. I think the length of this book is also quite satisfying, because it is slightly short, but not even close to 'too short.' (T
Felipe CZ
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite having some violent, sexist and chauvinist stories, it is an interesting work to read. To counter the deceit of women, King Shahrayar beds a new wife each night only to have her killed in the morning. But his vizier's daughter, Shahrazad, vows to save the kingdom's girls by telling the king stories to keep him interested so that he can't kill her.
Elaine
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! My young guy narrated the child-friendly stories to give who'd listen because they were so fun. Geraldine McCaughrean did a lovely job of choosing from the thousand stories ones that are appropriate for children and making them readable both on one's own and aloud.
Liz F.
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that was an interesting book!

I liked it! Very creative. ;) The beginning was kinda slow for me, but then I got more into it. I don't know why. :P

I'll catch up on all my other reviews maybe tomorrow! :)
Arfan Putra
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001books
Kisah-kisah yang diceritakan oleh Syahrazad sungguh menggugah.
Trina
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written and highly enjoyable re-telling of these classic tales. Outstanding for upper elementary or middle school aged students!
Tiffany Mae
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book; there were to many stories and it took forever to get to the point.
dreamer of art
Beautiful rendering of 1001 nights for all ages...

"you are the songbird in my heart's cage, my crescent moon flying through the night sky."
Melissa
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely beautiful and spell binding. The descriptive language of the author made my heart leap and fall and I was nearly crying by the end.
Syd Carp
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent; funny; enjoyable
RaenenAB
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Arabian Nights was pretty good and had a lot of stories (most of which were good), but it got a bit repetitive after a while. Also, the book was predictable, which made it a bit less exciting.
David
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Young persons version but very much enjoyed it. Would like to try Burton's original translation
Ms. Stephens
I didn't have time to read all of this, but it was pretty good. Very high level though.
Olivia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great story! Clean version! Loved it!!
Jordan Cullen
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vibrant retelling of the classic tales of magic, skullduggery and romance that surprisingly raises a few genuine laugh out loud moments.
Tarum
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classic
Raja Persia Shahryar dari Sasan karena dikhianati istrinya, percaya bahwa cinta wanita hanya bisa bertahan semalam. Raja menghendaki 1 orang wanita setiap malam di kamarnya dan keesokan paginya pengantinnya dipenggal. Setelah 1000 malam, setelah memenggal 1000 kepala perawan, akhirnya dia bertemu dengan Shahrazad atau Scheherazade putri penasehat Raja, putri yang ke 1001.
Pada malam pengantin Shahrazad mengisahkan sebuah cerita pada Raja yang tidak selesai menjelang fajar, karena penasaran Raja m
Heather
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
(Dec. 2016) I love this book more every time I read it. The stories are enthralling (enough so that you can believe they would save Sharahazad's life!) and retold with such lovely skill. The vivid metaphors entwined in each chapter transport the reader even more fully into the strangeness of the orient. One of my favorite books to read with 5th graders.

(Original Review - 2011) I have not read many different versions of "The Arabian Nights," but having read this one numerous times, I have not fel
miaaa
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to miaaa by: Sinbad
Shelves: fictions-others
It was supposed to be an enchanted story, about one woman who narrated stories for her King husband. And so each of her stories postponed her execution another day. And another day. And another day. However never in my brain, I'll honour a man, a King, who beheaded his newly-wed wives everyday. And yet his people called him great. Isn't it what some may analyse as a split personality syndrome?!

***

Selama ini kisah 1001 malam adalah kisah yang menawarkan semua sisi eksotis timur tengah. Kisah-kisa
  • The wandering of Odysseus
  • Favorite Medieval Tales
  • Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Land of the Spotted Eagle
  • Mashi, And Other Stories
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Cleopatra
  • Learning True Love: Practicing Buddhism in a Time of War
  • A Guide for the Advanced Soul: A Book of Insight Tag - Hold a Problem in Your Mind
  • A Brief History of Tea
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • Rewards and Fairies
  • Magic Knight Rayearth II, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth II, #1-3)
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Cement
  • Beowulf: A New Telling
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes