Start by marking “Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution” as Want to Read:

Gittleman delivers the first comprehensive, user-friendly guide that consolidates the latest research with a powerhouse, step-by-step guide to counteract the invisible hazards of everyday electromagnetic exposure from such things as cell phones and Wi-Fi.
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperOne (first published September 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Zapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zapped

Start your review of Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
Natalie Vellacott
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: current-affairs
This was an interesting read....not sure that it's 100% reliable but interesting definitely.

The author explains how electromagnetic pollution is invading our lives and gradually causing our illnesses. She sites various examples of individual cases where it does seem to be likely that EMP is responsible for the health problems experienced. She lists vitamins and minerals that will help combat the problem and suggests a range of expensive gadgets you could buy for your home/car/workpla
Ania
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone prudent about their health
Recommended to Ania by: radio show
Here's the basics:
Keep at least 3 feet away from electronics, and walls at night. Eat anti-oxidants, do away with needless electronics, reduce wi-fi exposure, use a landline and floss* :)

*ok so she may not have said floss, but it's still important :D
Jodi
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-books
This book provides a reasonable introduction to the idea of reducing the amount of EMFs we are exposed to each day, and how to go about doing so without giving up your computer and your phone and so on. It gives you lots and lots of useful tips on how to reposition electrical items, the best types of items to buy and what to avoid as well as how to use simple devices to measure the radiation in your own home.

This book is well researched and referenced. The first 37 pages outline the
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening information and kind-of fear-based as well - just don't let all this information get to you. My recommendation would be to just buy you a himalayan salt lamp - stick that sucker beside your computer - and you're good. In regard to the cellphone dilemma - you can go to qlink.com and get you one of those q-link mini's and sticker-attach it to your cell phone. Also, I've heard that if you put a wheatgrass plant beside your bed at night - you will breath a lot easier. Anyways, good info ...more
Megan Stokes
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Really interesting. I do believe that there are some that are particularly sensitive to electronic pollution (like chemically sensitive people), but I think the majority of us don't need to follow most of the advice in this book. I've since done some things to limit my exposure, but on the whole, some of this stuff goes a bit too far.
Shailen
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the last 12 months, I've been questioning my patients about their exposure to man-made electromagnetic fields. In this short time, I've seen some alarming effects of this radiation. I now have no doubt in my mind that over-exposure to non-ionizing radiation is definitely harmful. Just a few of the harmful effects I've see are as follows:

1. A patient presented with burning sensations in his hands and feet, which disappeared soon after he switched off the cell phone signal booster
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Zapped - Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution by Ann Louise Gittleman is an informative read about the prevalence and damage that electromagnetic fields (EMF) and electronic pollution and how to mitigate these in the home and at work.

As the title suggests, this encompasses radiation from mobile phones, microwaves and high voltage power poles, all generally accepted by the majority of people to 'not be good for us.'

However Zappe
Stephanie
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Scary. Hard to act on "depriving" oneself of electronics. I appreciated seeing that I'm big on the author's top 21 zap-proof superfoods and seasonings, i.e. artichokes, asparagus, blueberries, cinnamon cranberries, cruciferous vegetables, cumin garlic, grass-fed beef, mushrooms, olive oil pomegranate juice, prunces, red beans, acai, rosemary, turmeric, wild Alaskan salmon, tart cherries, walnuts and yogurt. Wish I could afford organic. Zap-proof minerals are also big in my diet, e.g. calcium, ma ...more
Kimm
Sep 17, 2011 marked it as started-reading-but-put-on-hold
Spent the day reading Gittleman's book on EMF pollution. Since I'm extremely sensitive to EMFs - there's alot of practical advice in this book for me.

I've never used a microwave and don't have one, rarely use a cell phone (a few times a year maybe) and I don't have a TV. Despite that - as a computer professional with scads of computer equipment running all day long - I am surrounded! :P I'm realizing there's alot more I can do to minimize the stress and disorders that EMFs cause. More about it
Joanna
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Feed my paranoia, why don't you? But at least it offers lots of helpful tips for reducing exposure to EMFs.
Kebanek
Jul 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
To alarmist for me. I think the author probably has a point, but this seemed like a very long pop science article.
Pamela
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Chock-full of information. The biggest take away is what electronic pollution could be doing to the most vulnerable, our children. The author cites study after study that show there are negative health effects from radiation, electro-magnetic frequencies and dirty electricity exposure. One interesting bit of information I did not know, is dirty electricity is more common in older homes in rural areas. It makes sense since today's newer homes are built with wiring to accommodate many more electri ...more
Brad McKenna
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, poor execution.

Ms. Gittleman's points are valid and I have found that I've stopped sleeping with my cellphone in my room on those nights I'm not using it as an alarm clock. I've also made note of those foods she suggests we eat more of to combat this issue. And while I think there's a good chance that smartphones will turn out to be the cigarettes of this generation, the science behind this book is weak and her remedies are unrealistic for all but the most wealthy.

For exam
Wendi Lau
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alarming.
Brynna
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an EXCELLENT book. God really convicted me on becoming more aware of my surroundings in efforts to maintain and improve the health of my family, and several months after learning more about EMF's, I picked up this book. I cannot believe I was so unaware of the impact of EMF's for all these years (a basis for SO many other health problems people suffer from anymore!). It makes perfect sense when you consider that the body IS technically "electrical" (after all, we are made up of atoms!), ...more
Trisha
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a great indicator of high energy fields in your home that I was not aware of. Like your refrigerator and other appliances you should not spend a lot of time so close.flouresecent lights, dimmer switches and electronics in your bedroom for a better night sleep.. There are websites you can find more info and cell towers near your home.
Some people are severely affected by emr and can get really sick with leukemia or breast cancer.
Kalyn
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This had lots of information (some of which seems legit and some of which seems pretty cuckoo) so you have to sort through what you think applies to you. I really liked that it had solutions for the hazards and that most of those solutions worked for modern (and even urban) life. After the information dump part, the book felt more like a helpful guide than a "go live in a log cabin in the woods!" alarm bell.
Lizzie
Oct 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
First impressions:
I'm alarmed by the title, as I do, in fact, use my cell phone as my alarm clock. I want to know what I'm doing wrong, how it's affecting me, and how on earth does one use a regular plug-in alarm clock? (I'll admit, I'm more concerned by the latter of the three.) It's mildly disconcerting, but my curiosity has been peaked, so now I must read Zapped to find out.
Diana S
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! Very informative information about electronic pollution and how it affects us in our daily lives.
It doesn't scare you, like some articles I've read on the subject. What it does do, is empowers you with the facts and give you ways to conteract the effects that enter our lives.. I really liked the book a lot.
Nola Decker
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I expected more from a book published by Harper (or a Harper imprint at least.) ZAPPPED needed good going over by a relentless editor. The haphazard organization of the information prevented the book from being a true call to arms.
Sue
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Currently no-one really knows the effects of long-term exposure to EMFs and therefore limiting exposure to them, in the ways we can, is probably wise. Being forewarned allows for preparation and planning even if the situation that happens isn't are dire as first thought.
Charmin
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Highlights:
1. Protect your health from dirty electricity.

2. Electric Electro-Magnetic Frequencies (EMF). Wifi, cellphones and plugged in appliances continuously emit EMF.

3. Eating super-foods help to balance out the exposure.
Sandie
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative; pretty easy to read. Scary!
Kim
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Good info, but a bit more technical than I wanted. Next step would be to buy/rent a Gauss meter and that is not on the top of my budget list.
Eli Poteet
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book made me re think A LOT of my decisions concerning my electronics. I encourage everyone to give it a read.
Darlene Hull
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Not full of hype and scare tactics, lots of research, and some great, practical ideas for managing exposure in a doable way.
David
Jun 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read
Specious science. Self-promotion. I couldn't get through this book. What a waste.
Catherine Gentry
An important book about an important topic which affects us all.
Kathy Veon
Aug 04, 2015
Beverly Harris
Apr 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • Dirty Electricity: Electrification and the Diseases of Civilization
  • Radiation Nation: Complete Guide to EMF Protection & Safety - The Proven Health Risks of EMF Radiation & What You Can Do to Protect Yourself & Family
  • Becoming Brilliant: What Science Tells Us about Raising Successful Children
  • The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs: How to Fix Our Stupid Use of Technology
  • The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Quantum Night
  • The Ultimate Guide To Red Light Therapy: How to Use Red and Near-Infrared Light Therapy for Anti-Aging, Fat Loss, Muscle Gain, Performance, and Brain Optimization
  • Beyond Broccoli: Creating a Biologically Balanced Diet When a Vegetarian Diet Doesn't Work
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
  • Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Boost Brainpower, Increase Focus, and Maximize Performance-in Just Two Weeks
  • Ishmael
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Team Human
  • The Power of the Other: The startling effect other people have on you, from the boardroom to the bedroom and beyond-and what to do about it
  • Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living
Dr. Ann Louise was recognized as one of the top ten nutritionists in the country by Self magazine and was the recipient of the American Medical Writers Association award for excellence.

She was the first to warn of the environmental hazards of parasites in her classic Guess What Came To Dinner? Parasites and Your Health. In Your Body Knows Best, Dr. Ann Louise was the first to discuss t
“We, and the universe we live in, produce and operate in a sea of natural and unnatural electrical and magnetic fields. The earth, for example, pulses at about 10 Hz, like a small engine. Our bodies, as you may remember from chapter 1, are really electromagnetic machines. We simply can't move a muscle or produce a thought without an electrical impulse - and wherever there is electricity, a magnetic field is also produced, which is why we link the two together into one word: electromagnetic."

Ann Louise Gittleman”