Start by marking “By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)

By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  894 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscu ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published April 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about By Hook or by Crook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook or by Crook

Linda
Another good entry in the series. Molly gets involved trying to solve a case due to a filet crochet that someone left for the group to find. There was a lot going on in the book both with the case and in Molly's personal life. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
It's been awhile since I dipped into the Crochet Mysteries but it didn't take long to remember Molly Pink and her gang of crafty crocheters.

While at a get together the crochet bunch was having a great time and never seen who dropped off a package in a paper bag until everyone was gone. Inside it contained a letter of remorse and a crocheted piece that contains clues. Clues that everyone thinks Molly can figure out because she is a pretty good sleuth.

They find out who it belongs to and when Mol
Joy Gerbode
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the mysteries by this author. There is some needlework ... but it doesn't overshadow the mystery. There is a book store ... a huge plus! Again, it doesn't overshadow the mystery. And there is a background of "romance?" ... all of these elements work together to enhance the mystery, so I like the way she writes. This one was no exception, and it additionally included some wonderful descriptions of Catalina Island so it was lovely.
Susan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
The adventures of the Tarzana hookers (crocheters) is always light hearted and entertaining. The suspense is great too. The narrator was one of my favorites and gave an outstanding performance as always. Looking forward to more by this author and narrator.
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I wanted a light, fun, cozy mystery with a little crochet on the side. Something totally craft-nerdy that would be an escape.

This book didn't deliver and was definitely my last attempt at reading this series.

For one, the crochet part.. the whole hook of the series.. was not interesting, sounded ugly and made no sense. Part of the mystery was literally "Why would someone make something so ugly" (not a spoiler, that's early on)

Secondly, the attempt to pull some kind of mystery out of the lackluste
Karen B.
I think each book in this series gets better. Molly Pink is solving a murder again and finding out a secret revolving around the deceased. She is not the best in her group at crochet and has to pull stitches out and start again but her crocheting is improving and the author includes two crochet patterns and a great recipe.
I am teaching myself to crochet and I love how this series seems to go step by step although you don't have to like crochet to enjoy these cozies. I am coming to love Adele, C
Stacey Dunkel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took so much will power to put down the book and get sleep at night. The end of each chapter had you ready to start the next, hungry for answers to the many questions Molly would dig up. I am "hooked" on these mysteries and look forward to when I can purchase the next book. I simply adore how well Betty has intertwined crocheting into her stories. I'm still waiting for Molly to have it out with Adele about how she treats her, but maybe next book. Hahaha. These books are always making you gues ...more
Barb
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscure clue in pictures. Things get even more complicated when they find the talented crocheter-murdered by a box of poisoned marzipan apples.
Not quite as enjoyable as the first one i read, but definitely readable. 4 stars.
Kristi
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
In the third installment of the crochet mystery series, Molly Pink finds a mysterious piece of filet crochet. Who made the piece and left it for the crocheters to find? What does it mean? Unable to resist, Molly sets out to find the truth.

I loved trying to solve the mystery based upon the filet crochet piece. I just wish that we could have seen an image or drawing of the work. I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I am looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.
Nancy Wright
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I will continue reading this series. They keep you guessing until the end. They are very entertaining.
Ch J Loveall
Next - bubble gum read = easily read, no challenge in either vocabulary or plot.
paperdollmom
This was a cute, fluffy read. I've been searching for some mystery books that don't necessarily revolve around a murder, leaves out any and all gory details, and is not filled with sex . This is book really fits what I've been searching for, with a lot of absurdity thrown in as well.

This is, of course, a murder mystery, but that is not really the mystery the book focuses on. There is a crochet group that meets frequently (it seems daily) in a bookstore where Molly Pink works. The characters in t
Melissa
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another cozy mystery, and as such, very cozy! But not wildly entertaining at the same time. I found this to be a good, but average book.

Molly and her crotchet group seem to find themselves in the middle of investigations all the time. Or at least Molly does. So when a mysterious filet crochet piece shows up at a fundraiser they're doing, with an even more mysterious letter, its hard to tell whats going on. But then the one person they think it leads to winds up dead and its up to Molly to figure
Marie
The third installment in the Crochet Mystery series, By Hook or by Crook, is just as good as the first two! Yes, it's still a somewhat predictable cozy mystery, but that's ok. I'm liking the main character, Molly Pink, more and more with each book. She's just such a good person! And relatable. And real. She's not perfect, but she does love her family and friends with an unequaled ferocity.

This book features filet crochet, which is a more obscure technique. I happen to know the technique, but I d
BooksnWool
This series is very enjoyable, a cut above many of the other cozy craft mysteries I've read which tend to be over-sweet, or compensate by adding too much gruesomeness / sex etc. Molly is a nice woman (OK a lot nicer than most of use probably are) but behaves in a believable fashion -- most of the time! The other characters are engaging and speak and act like real people. Even the obligatory celeb has a reason to be there, after all, this is LA. I also like that she only works in the shop and doe ...more
Nini
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Overall an easy read. Im not sure whether I would have bothered to continue with the book if I wasnt a huge crochet fan and the novelty factor was pulling me in. Whilst the story itself is fairly good for a cozy mystery the characters themselves arent particularly likable. I am a reader who gets attached to characters and I have persevered through many books solely based on the series they belong to.
My mistake may have been to begin with book 3 however I was not taken with the main character ,
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, beach-read
I picked up the first four books of the series at the library.

I was kind of excited to see a book with filet crochet as a theme. When I was a teen, filet was my favorite form of crochet. I haven't done any thread crochet, though, since I was in my early 30s. I hoped this book would inspire me to pick up my small steel hooks again.

It didn't.

I really feel the sleuth was part of the problem. She kept the cops from solving the mystery with her interference. She was just a pain.

I don't know what Maso
Judy Iliff
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This really is a fun series. Adele drives me nuts. She's supposedly in her 40s, I think, but she must have had arrested development somewhere along the way because she reminds me of my former sophomore high school students!

This time Molly Pink and Tarzana Hookers get involved in a mystery when someone leaves a brown bag on their table at an outdoor show/fair. Inside they find an unfinished letter that speaks of remorse, a diary entry that speaks loss, and a beautiful piece of filet crochet that
Betty Silvia
While I'm still thrilled to have crochet "woven in" to this book series, this tale was unbelievable. I could not believe that Molly would do the things that she does (break into a house for example) to ease her curiosity about a piece of crochet. I was hoping she would spend the night in jail for acting stupid.

There are some funny scenes at the bookstore however, and the Tarzana Hookers are becoming like old friends. This story was predictable because the newcomers to the group were both "invol
Michele
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm sorry that this book is so bad because it sounded interesting but none of the characters make sense to me, especially Molly. I like the amateur sleuth genre, but there has to be some reason for the person to get involved in a mystery. Finding a paper bag of stuff belonging to someone who later dies is not a believable reason for a stranger to go on a quest to right this wrong in my opinion. Plus, Molly allows all sorts of behavior that is just plain annoying. If her co-worker addressing her ...more
Liora
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
For me, this 3rd installment of the Crochet Mystery series by Betty Hechtman was the best so far. The mystery was intriguing and the clues in the filet crochet piece were a unique twist. I also liked the connection and foray into Catalina Island which I remember from my own childhood. There was quite a bit less of the bookstore crochet group and talk about learning how to crochet, but crochet was still central to the plot of the story. I did get tired of her mother and the She La Las, however, a ...more
Carol
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am definitely liking these books better. This third book takes us to Catalina to explain clues in a piece of filet crochet. The plot was intricate and interesting. It is amazing how easily cozy mystery heroes break and enter into private places! There is only one character I really don't like but we are not supposed to like Adele, so I guess that the author is successful. The characters are getting more fleshed out as the series continues. If that were not the case, I would not continue readin ...more
Beth
This was an interesting installment in the series. I liked the information presented on the crochet technique key to the story. It was a pretty transparent mystery but the trips to Catalina added interest to the story. The relationships that the main character has weren't as well fleshed out as they could have been. This may be an interim step in the transitioning the character and her interactions forward in a future book.
Toni berkshire
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been searching for a mystery that featured crochet work and this one was just what I wanted. It fit what I was looking for so perfectly, that I can't begin to be objective about the quality of the plot, writing or anything else. It just made me happy and I learned a little about filet crochet, which was new to me and quite about about Catalina Island. Will be looking for more by this author.
Christine
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until the end, this was gonna be a three-star all the way, not really even sure if I'll keep up with the series kind of book. I've been annoyed with Adele as a character since the beginning, because she's so one-dimensional and completely ridiculous. I mean, seriously--how could she even survive in the world when all she does is annoy everyone pretty much on purpose? And then the mom--really, selfish diva mom is the best we could do? BUT...it all turns around in the end. Excellent.
Lisa
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy read, not really about crochet at all but about a busybody who doesn't stop investigating a stranger's death, even when there are threats against her life. That's some crazy dedication, considering she didn't even know the victim. Must be an obsession. The crochet part of it is that the story centers around a crochet group that meets in a bookstore and the victim left behind a piece of filet crochet that illustrates the mystery
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read the ninth novel in this series first, and now, I'm going through the series from the beginning. This third novel of the series was just as interesting and entertaining as the other books of the series I've read. As was also the case with the other novels in the series, I found the writing style to be good, and the plot was fun. I really enjoyed the novel and am looking forward to reading the whole series.
Snap
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I am enjoying the Crochet Mysteries perhaps because Molly Pink is an older protagonist and not a sweet young thing. I'm also getting to know the characters and there are some real characters around Molly. Molly works in a book store (always fun) and a crochet group meets there. Molly is really quite good at getting tangled up in murder and crochet. Filet crochet is the star in By Hook or By Crook along with California Noodle Pudding and Molly's mother's singing group.
Belinda
If I have a true character flaw, it is my weakness for craft-themed murder mysteries.

This book is fine - it's cozy, it contains many references to yarn and crochet and an implausible murder-solving effort by a bunch of people who should not be involved in solving mysteries at all. It's Comfort Reading and my equivalent of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate with far fewer calories - makes me feel better without leaving a unpleasant aftertaste but forgotten very shortly after finishing.
Susan
Bookstore event coordinator and ardent crocheter Molly Pink finds a bag containing a mysterious message and a piece of filet crochet at a charity event. She and her friends are determined to find out what it all means, even after a woman dies. Widowed Molly is also torn between (at least) two men, and subjected to the pressures of her visiting parents, who don't know that she sleuths in her spare time.
Madison Mega-Mara...: By Hook or By Crook 1 4 Jul 13, 2012 10:06AM
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
I grew up on the south side of Chicago and in a very busy weekend, got married, graduated college and moved to Los Angeles.

Although my degree is in Fine Arts, all I ever wanted to be was a writer and I've been doing it in one form or another for as long as I can remember. My shining moments in elementary and high school always involved stories or poetry I'd written. I wrote news stories and a week
More about Betty Hechtman...

Crochet Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • For Better or Worsted (Crochet Mystery, #8)
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
  • Seams Like Murder (Crochet Mystery, #10)
  • Hooking for Trouble (Crochet Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)