Start by marking “By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)

By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery #3)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  884 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Meet the happy crafter who believes every mystery should be unraveled. Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscu ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published April 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about By Hook or by Crook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook or by Crook

Linda
Another good entry in the series. Molly gets involved trying to solve a case due to a filet crochet that someone left for the group to find. There was a lot going on in the book both with the case and in Molly's personal life. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
It's been awhile since I dipped into the Crochet Mysteries but it didn't take long to remember Molly Pink and her gang of crafty crocheters.

While at a get together the crochet bunch was having a great time and never seen who dropped off a package in a paper bag until everyone was gone. Inside it contained a letter of remorse and a crocheted piece that contains clues. Clues that everyone thinks Molly can figure out because she is a pretty good sleuth.

They find out who it belongs to and when Mol
Joy Gerbode
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the mysteries by this author. There is some needlework ... but it doesn't overshadow the mystery. There is a book store ... a huge plus! Again, it doesn't overshadow the mystery. And there is a background of "romance?" ... all of these elements work together to enhance the mystery, so I like the way she writes. This one was no exception, and it additionally included some wonderful descriptions of Catalina Island so it was lovely.
Susan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
The adventures of the Tarzana hookers (crocheters) is always light hearted and entertaining. The suspense is great too. The narrator was one of my favorites and gave an outstanding performance as always. Looking forward to more by this author and narrator.
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, 2016-reads, cozy
I wanted a light, fun, cozy mystery with a little crochet on the side. Something totally craft-nerdy that would be an escape.

This book didn't deliver and was definitely my last attempt at reading this series.

For one, the crochet part.. the whole hook of the series.. was not interesting, sounded ugly and made no sense. Part of the mystery was literally "Why would someone make something so ugly" (not a spoiler, that's early on)

Secondly, the attempt to pull some kind of mystery out of the lackluste
Karen B.
I think each book in this series gets better. Molly Pink is solving a murder again and finding out a secret revolving around the deceased. She is not the best in her group at crochet and has to pull stitches out and start again but her crocheting is improving and the author includes two crochet patterns and a great recipe.
I am teaching myself to crochet and I love how this series seems to go step by step although you don't have to like crochet to enjoy these cozies. I am coming to love Adele, C
Stacey Dunkel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took so much will power to put down the book and get sleep at night. The end of each chapter had you ready to start the next, hungry for answers to the many questions Molly would dig up. I am "hooked" on these mysteries and look forward to when I can purchase the next book. I simply adore how well Betty has intertwined crocheting into her stories. I'm still waiting for Molly to have it out with Adele about how she treats her, but maybe next book. Hahaha. These books are always making you gues ...more
Barb
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscure clue in pictures. Things get even more complicated when they find the talented crocheter-murdered by a box of poisoned marzipan apples.
Not quite as enjoyable as the first one i read, but definitely readable. 4 stars.
Kristi
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
In the third installment of the crochet mystery series, Molly Pink finds a mysterious piece of filet crochet. Who made the piece and left it for the crocheters to find? What does it mean? Unable to resist, Molly sets out to find the truth.

I loved trying to solve the mystery based upon the filet crochet piece. I just wish that we could have seen an image or drawing of the work. I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I am looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.
Ch J Loveall
Next - bubble gum read = easily read, no challenge in either vocabulary or plot.
Madison Mega-Mara...: By Hook or By Crook 1 4 Jul 13, 2012 10:06AM
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
I grew up on the south side of Chicago and in a very busy weekend, got married, graduated college and moved to Los Angeles.

Although my degree is in Fine Arts, all I ever wanted to be was a writer and I've been doing it in one form or another for as long as I can remember. My shining moments in elementary and high school always involved stories or poetry I'd written. I wrote news stories and a week
More about Betty Hechtman...

Crochet Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • For Better or Worsted (Crochet Mystery, #8)
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
  • Seams Like Murder (Crochet Mystery #10)
  • Hooking for Trouble (Crochet Mystery #11)