Start by marking “Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)

Captive Prince (Captive Prince #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  35,141 Ratings  ·  4,704 Reviews
From global phenomenon C. S. Pacat comes the first in her critically acclaimed trilogy—with a bonus story.

Damen is a warrior hero to his people, and the rightful heir to the throne of Akielos. But when his half brother seizes power, Damen is captured, stripped of his identity, and sent to serve the prince of an enemy nation as a pleasure slave.

Beautiful, manipulative, and
Published May 22nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Captive Prince, please sign up.
ladron
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wolfram-Jaymes VonKeesing This has been answered, but damn. I feel your feels about waiting for that sex scene, and now I have to wait to see if they'll live happily ever…moreThis has been answered, but damn. I feel your feels about waiting for that sex scene, and now I have to wait to see if they'll live happily ever after. It's going to kill me, I just know it.(less)

Navessa
WARNING: I'VE BEEN DRINKING.

*hiccup*

You know-

*gestures with wine glass*

*sloshes some over the side*

I mean, this book-

*licks wine off fingers*

*tries to refocus*

What was I saying? Oh, yeah. This fucking book, man.

*takes another sip*

There's Damen. A prince betrayed by his bastard of a brother. Sold into slavery to an enemy nation.

*stumbles up to standing*

And do you know what? You know who he's fucking sold to?

*raises voice*

To an even bigger bastard than his brother!

*sits back down*

A prince name
Lola
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am firmly of the belief that this series will one day become a classic in the M/M romance genre.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I don't read m/m fiction. It's not because I'm homophobic in any way (julio would beat my ass down if I were), it's just that it's not a genre to which I gravitate.

For example, I don't read new adult. I don't read chick lit. I don't read m/m. It's simple as that. I prefer the romance in my books to be something that I can relate to, and I feel that for me, a romance would be more realistic if it's m/f. A book has to be completely amazing to change my mind about an m/m romance, and this book, wh
Maraia
Slavery isn’t sexy. Corporal punishment isn’t sexy. Rape isn’t sexy, and it certainly isn’t entertainment. This book is utterly disgusting.

There are so many things wrong with Captive Prince, it’s hard to know where to start. I’m having trouble understanding how this book can be praised by so many people, especially by those who promote LGBT relationships in books, consider themselves feminists, and are outspoken against violence against women being used as a plot device.

I love seeing LGBT relat
Emily May
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, 2015
For Romance month at my blog, I decided to take the opportunity to read something I wouldn't normally pick - this highly-praised M/M Fantasy Romance.

The first thing you should know: this is a character-driven story. I think you will enjoy it as long as you don't go into it expecting a lot of grand world-building. The focus of this book - indeed, the whole series, it would seem - is on the relationship between two men, and their relationships with other royals, guards and slaves around them.

As ro
C.G. Drews
Little flummoxed by this one. It's an epic fantasy but focuses more on sexual slavery than any sort of active plot. I don't feel the sexual slavery/rape culture was promoted as "good or acceptable" but just underlining the depraved society, buuuuuut. Mine eyes are too young for this. Plus if your master orders you orally raped and then later slave + master start having a thing...let us just say: no.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Apr 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 30%

*slow claps*

My first DNF of the year and boy, is it a cracker.

I promised myself I wouldn't write anymore rage-ranting reviews about books because, although they might be enjoyable to write and read, ultimately, they left me feeling less than satisfied.

But I will make an exception. For this book, I am making an exception, because I am sick of seeing this shit in literature and people praising it.

Captive Prince is marketed as "slave erotica." I should've known, way before reading it, that
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
TRIGGER WARNING: rape, physical abuse, pedophilia

I am so excited to continue with the next book, the way things ended I can tell that things are going to pick up and get REALLY intense!
Whitney Atkinson
The two main reactions to this book are "OMG BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD" or "this was gross and despicable and i cannot believe how people enjoy it." I'm somewhere in between there.

I knew going into it that there would be a lot of rape/torture scenes, but even so, I was surprised. I think if you read this, you need to know several things in advance just to make sure that you don't automatically hate it: 1) it's graphic book centered around sex slavery 2) major trigger warning for rape, abuse, and pe
Candace
'Captive Prince' has been on my radar for a long time now. I have seen a plethora of glowing reviews from friends that have loved this series. As curious as I was, I kept putting off reading this series because M/M reads aren't really my thing. However, my curiosity finally got the best of me and I downloaded the first audiobook in the series.

The rest is history! I blew through all three audiobooks in a couple of days, listening to them back to back until I had devoured the entire series. This
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I’m aware that “Captive Prince” is a highly controversial book and I know that many people have a lot of mixed feelings about it. As it seems you either hate it or you love it. There is no in-between. I think most of that is due to the fact that it deals with subjects we feel very uncomfortable with. Our modern minds have a tendency to shy away from those kinds of things, but just because a book makes you feel disgusted and angry, this still doesn’t automatically mean that it’s a bad book. Sure, ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*ONLY $1.99 TODAY AT AMAZON US! This is not a drill! 6/4/18 https://www.amazon.com/Captive-Prince...*

This book owned me today, completely owned me.

I just have to give S. U. Pacat a huge round of applause. I was 100% drawn into "Captive Prince". It is going to be hard to write a review of just Volume 1 because I read them back to back like a rabid fan-girl so I'll just review them together. It was like my eyes were glued to my phone today. I wouldn't and couldn't stop reading.

I won't rehash the
Clau R.
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
More like a 3.5, I had some issues with it, but OMG. IT WAS GOOD! I'm gonna marathon the trilogy!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

If you haven't been seeing/hearing the buzz surrounding THE CAPTIVE PRINCE by C.S. Pacat, you've probably been living under a rock. I'd seen it EVERYWHERE, even before one of my favorite authors recommended it in her newsletter (<------why I finally caved).

My impression before reading it was that it was some kind of pseudo-fantasy/MM/BDSM mashup . . . and that impression was fairly accurate.

Not my typical choice of reading material, but HYPE. And CURIOSITY. *shakes fis
❄️Nani❄️
This might get -a tad- salty.

Well... I don’t know what the fuck to make of this book but suffice it to say I finally understand why many find it polarising.

The characters were boring and one-dimensional as shit. The plot was profoundly lacking. Or more like, there was NONE. What the fuck is a story without a well rounded, well constructed plot anyway? And if you can’t deliver on a good plot at least have some interesting characters to keep the reader engaged.
This was just... please excuse my l
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you
TRIGGER WARNINGS ALERT Stay away from this one if you prefer safe reads. Don't read my review if the word "rape" makes you unconfortable, because I use it a lot, because this book has a lot of that.

description
I don't recommend this if you feel uncomfortable reading about:

Pedophilia (view spoiler)
Monique
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Compelling Reading...I was totally engrossed from start to finish....5 Fabulous Stars

Photobucket

Captive Prince, literally captivated me! this is amazing storytelling and I can honestly say I picked it up to read and did not put it down until both book 1 and book 2 were finished.....it was 5am, but I was hooked! These 2 books are FREE, yes, can you believe it, such a great story is free to read. The only down side is that there is no news on book 3 yet, however I have noticed that she will be publishing b
Dd
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites

Readers,what do I say about this book??

Power. Brilliance. Excellence. All delivered in one perfect package.

This is fiction at its finest!!!

Captive Prince.....

This is what they mean when they say that a book has the ability to transport you to worlds beyond!!

And was I ever???

This one gripped me in it's powerful clutches,and did not let go.This is what I look for in a book.

This book entranced,enchanted and devoured me.

And I loved every minute of it!!

------------------------------------------
Julio Genao
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone with a pulse.
Recommended to Julio by: Susan
Shelves: loved
glorious.

review to come; the bonus story at the end of this edition has rendered me completely useless.

holy shit.

______________

previously:

description

watch me twerk it to da left! twerk it to da left! twerk, twerk, tw-twerk it to da left!

______________

previously:

fucking awesome.

dafuksit with these ozzie writers kickin' ass? lisa henry, s.u. pacat... (also: supacat. niiiiice. [ETA: author has since chosen the pseudonym C.S. Pacat]).

can't even be troubled to write a full review. i've got volume two to read.

mo
Kai
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My body is ready.

description

I really enjoyed this rather quick and easy read. The writing is uncomplicated but captivating. C. S. Pacat knows her way around words. The plot is compelling, part fantasy, part historical. It all seemed very authentic and well researched.

Above all I'm totally shipping Damon and Laurent. Madly. I can't wait for them to get close - emotionally and physically. A single kiss would probably
Samantha
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I neither loved nor hated this book and I was surprised about that since it tends to bring out very strong emotions in people.

I'm going to be doing a full review on this book, but wanted to touch on a few things here since it is such a controversial read.

Firstly, I've always planned on reading this entire series regardless of if I hated the first book. Especially because this series should honestly just be one book. All of the books are short enough to combine.

Secondly, yes OBVIOUSLY trigger
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Holy. Shit. Folks.

I was so disappointed in this book.

I've been meaning to write a review for this for a while because there is an OVERWHELMING amount of positivity surrounding the series and I just...

WHY???

The plot was vapid beyond belief. The first 3/4 of the story goes practically nowhere and is made up of lots of weird sex and torture.

Contrived elements that were meant to make you feel desperation & sadness? They only succeeded in making me feel bitter and unconvinced.

The big reveal a
destiny ☠ howling libraries
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to destiny by: Jue.
#1 Captive Prince ★★★★★
#2 Prince's Gambit ★★★★★
#3 King's Rising ★★★★★

Let me begin this review by saying that these are just my opinions and I am, in no way, about to glorify rape or abuse. I am a survivor myself, and I'm fully aware that this book bothered a lot of people. I would never question another reader's rating of this book, though, and I'm just going to ask you guys to extend the same courtesy. ❤

This book is NOT for everyone. It involves a lot of rape, sexual violence and slavery, abuse
Judith
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judith by: ravngirl ((prv. Jxsxph.k))
4 Stars.

This has been on my radar for so long.The ridiculous price but me off,so I was so happy when a friend lent me this series.
I read a few reviews and a lot mentioned sex slave so I was expecting maybe a bit of bondage?....maybe a bit of sexual coercion?
Well,there's none of that,in fact there's ..

No romance
It's not erotic
But there is a very hedonistic feel to the book.

I'll keep this brief because there are already some fantastic reviews out there.

Damen is the heir to the throne of Akielos an
Riley
If you saw any of my updates on this book then you will know I absolutely hated it. I was excited to read this because of the number of rave reviews I have seen and I am honestly shocked. Did I read the same book as everyone else???

There was no plot. No world building. Just 270 pages of abuse, torture and lots of rape. I did not enjoy a single second of this book but I kept reading to see why people could possibly love it so much. I still don’t know.

Within the first two chapters there is one r
Shin Mon Thway
Reread: 7th June 2018

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to relive this story for the very first time again. 😌 Laurent and Damen are the perfect epitome of my book boyfriends’ standards. 😍 The plotting, scheming, treachery, spying, danger, love, romance, suspense and a mystery, this trilogy has it all. No wonder it was considered one of the greatest MM fantasy romance trilogy of all times. 👏 D&L still certainly is my all time favorite couple. If I could only wish one thing and it would come true, I’d c
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads by: Lola
Shelves: mm, 4-stars, historical, royals
Re-read 2/6/15...because book 3 finally came out and - not gonna lie - I can't remember SHIT about books 1 and 2...My bad!

Original Review:

This will be short because my laptop is dying and, quite frankly, I'm feeling lazy as shit.

Tah-Fucking-Dah.

I went into this knowing it was more political intrigue and less m/m romance... I just didn't think it would be ALL political intrigue and NO m/m romance.

description

Obviously, the seeds have been planted for future shenanigans, but anyway, that's my only grip
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Lola

TRIGGER WARNING : graphic violence, rape, slavery

4.5 stars. Oh, the dilemma. Review it? Jump on book 2? Review it? Jump on book 2? Review it? Jump on book 2?

Eenie meenie miney mo
Catch a tiger by the toe
If he hollars let him go
Eenie meenie miney mo

Oh, screw it. I swear that I'll write a real review of Captive Prince: Volume One because Helloooo, it deserves ones, but for now my excitation and eagerness to freaking KNOW what will happen leads me to shorten my ramble and only give you reduced info
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

“For a prince, learning the words of an enemy was as important as learning the words of a friend.”

Why didn’t I read this FANTASTIC book before??
OMG, I’m in love. ❤
IS SO FUCKING GOOD!!!

The story, the writing, the characters, the romance, the friendships, the politics, the development, how everything was dealt with and literally everything else was PERFECT.
Oh man, I’m in love. This is definitely on the list of my FAVORITE trilogy of all bloody freaking time.

“Trying to imagine Kastor plotting

Dreamcast? 7 171 May 08, 2018 10:32AM
Books similar to Captive Prince trilogy? 6 281 Nov 03, 2017 12:30PM
Favorite MLM books? 1 40 Oct 31, 2017 04:08PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Text 1 1 9 Oct 18, 2016 08:39AM
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • The Violet and the Tom
  • Bloodraven (Bloodraven #1)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • The Island
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.
More about C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince (4 books)
  • Pet (Captive Prince Short Stories, #4)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Kings Rising (Captive Prince, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Laurent could inspire homicidal tendencies simply by breathing.” 267 likes
“A golden prince was easy to love if you did not have to watch him picking wings off flies.” 195 likes