Start by marking “Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)

Captive Prince

(Captive Prince #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  54,626 ratings  ·  6,635 reviews
From global phenomenon C. S. Pacat comes the first in her critically acclaimed trilogy—with a bonus story.

Damen is a warrior hero to his people, and the rightful heir to the throne of Akielos. But when his half brother seizes power, Damen is captured, stripped of his identity, and sent to serve the prince of an enemy nation as a pleasure slave.

Beautiful, manipulative, and
Published May 22nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Captive Prince, please sign up.
Shannon There is a difference in depiction of rape/violence and the romanticization of it. Unfortunately, some are not able to differentiate between the two. …moreThere is a difference in depiction of rape/violence and the romanticization of it. Unfortunately, some are not able to differentiate between the two. In the first book there are depictions present, but we view it through the lends of a character who is absolutely disgusted by it. Also, these are all actions by the royal upper-class, who as a whole are the villains of the trilogy. If depictions bother you as a reader, this probably isn't the series for you, but there is in no way any romanticization.
(less)
Wolfram-Jaymes VonKeesing This has been answered, but damn. I feel your feels about waiting for that sex scene, and now I have to wait to see if they'll live happily ever after…moreThis has been answered, but damn. I feel your feels about waiting for that sex scene, and now I have to wait to see if they'll live happily ever after. It's going to kill me, I just know it.(less)

·  54,626 ratings  ·  6,635 reviews

Start your review of Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)
Maraia
Slavery isn’t sexy. Corporal punishment isn’t sexy. Rape isn’t sexy, and it certainly isn’t entertainment. This book is utterly disgusting.

There are so many things wrong with Captive Prince, it’s hard to know where to start. I’m having trouble understanding how this book can be praised by so many people, especially by those who promote LGBT relationships in books, consider themselves feminists, and are outspoken against violence against women being used as a plot device.

I love seeing LGBT relat
Navessa
WARNING: I'VE BEEN DRINKING.

*hiccup*

You know-

*gestures with wine glass*

*sloshes some over the side*

I mean, this book-

*licks wine off fingers*

*tries to refocus*

What was I saying? Oh, yeah. This fucking book, man.

*takes another sip*

There's Damen. A prince betrayed by his bastard of a brother. Sold into slavery to an enemy nation.

*stumbles up to standing*

And do you know what? You know who he's fucking sold to?

*raises voice*

To an even bigger bastard than his brother!

*sits back down*

A prince name
Cristina Monica
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am firmly of the belief that this series will one day become a classic in the M/M romance genre.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I don't read m/m fiction. It's not because I'm homophobic in any way (julio would beat my ass down if I were), it's just that it's not a genre to which I gravitate.

For example, I don't read new adult. I don't read chick lit. I don't read m/m. It's simple as that. I prefer the romance in my books to be something that I can relate to, and I feel that for me, a romance would be more realistic if it's m/f. A book has to be completely amazing to change my mind about an m/m romance, and this book, wh
Emily May
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, 2015
For Romance month at my blog, I decided to take the opportunity to read something I wouldn't normally pick - this highly-praised M/M Fantasy Romance.

The first thing you should know: this is a character-driven story. I think you will enjoy it as long as you don't go into it expecting a lot of grand world-building. The focus of this book - indeed, the whole series, it would seem - is on the relationship between two men, and their relationships with other royals, guards and slaves around them.

As ro
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I’m aware that “Captive Prince” is a highly controversial book and I know that many people have a lot of mixed feelings about it. As it seems you either hate it or you love it. There is no in-between. I think most of that is due to the fact that it deals with subjects we feel very uncomfortable with. Our modern minds have a tendency to shy away from those kinds of things, but just because a book makes you feel disgusted and angry, this still doesn’t automatically mean that it’s a bad book. Sure, ...more
C.G. Drews
Little flummoxed by this one. It's an epic fantasy but focuses more on sexual slavery than any sort of active plot. I don't feel the sexual slavery/rape culture was promoted as "good or acceptable" but just underlining the depraved society, buuuuuut. Mine eyes are too young for this. Plus if your master orders you orally raped and then later slave + master start having a thing...let us just say: no.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*ONLY $1.99 TODAY AT AMAZON US! This is not a drill! 9/3/19 https://www.amazon.com/Captive-Prince...*

This book owned me today, completely owned me.

I just have to give S. U. Pacat a huge round of applause. I was 100% drawn into "Captive Prince". It is going to be hard to write a review of just Volume 1 because I read them back to back like a rabid fan-girl so I'll just review them together. It was like my eyes were glued to my phone today. I wouldn't and couldn't stop reading.

I won't rehash the
Caz (littlebookowl)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
TRIGGER WARNING: rape, physical abuse, pedophilia

I am so excited to continue with the next book, the way things ended I can tell that things are going to pick up and get REALLY intense!
Candace
'Captive Prince' has been on my radar for a long time now. I have seen a plethora of glowing reviews from friends that have loved this series. As curious as I was, I kept putting off reading this series because M/M reads aren't really my thing. However, my curiosity finally got the best of me and I downloaded the first audiobook in the series.

The rest is history! I blew through all three audiobooks in a couple of days, listening to them back to back until I had devoured the entire series. This
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
This might get -a tad- salty.

Well... I don’t know what the fuck to make of this book but suffice it to say I finally understand why many find it polarising.

The characters were boring and one-dimensional as shit. The plot was profoundly lacking. Or more like, there was NONE. What the fuck is a story without a well rounded, well constructed plot anyway? And if you can’t deliver on a good plot at least have some interesting characters to keep the reader engaged.
This was just... please excuse my l
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
TRIGGER WARNINGS ALERT Stay away from this one if you prefer safe reads. Don't read my review if the word "rape" makes you unconfortable, because I use it a lot, because this book has a lot of that.

description
I don't recommend this if you feel uncomfortable reading about:

Pedophilia (view spoiler)
Claudia Ramírez
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
More like a 3.5, I had some issues with it, but OMG. IT WAS GOOD! I'm gonna marathon the trilogy!
jessica
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay. well. its not too difficult to figure out why this book isnt for everyone and i completely understand why its so polarising.

there are so many sensitive and taboo topics, but i dont think its done distastefully. this is seriously the slowest of slow burns, and i think thats important. had the relationship between damen and laurent developed more quickly, it probably would have been off-putting.

as far as the story goes, its intriguing and unlike anything i have read before. there is a nice
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

If you haven't been seeing/hearing the buzz surrounding THE CAPTIVE PRINCE by C.S. Pacat, you've probably been living under a rock. I'd seen it EVERYWHERE, even before one of my favorite authors recommended it in her newsletter (<------why I finally caved).

My impression before reading it was that it was some kind of pseudo-fantasy/MM/BDSM mashup . . . and that impression was fairly accurate.

Not my typical choice of reading material, but HYPE. And CURIOSITY. *shakes fist a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Captive Prince ★★★★★
#2 Prince's Gambit ★★★★★
#3 King's Rising ★★★★★

3rd read update, june 2019: I love this series more and more every single time I read it. ♥

original review, december 2017:
Let me begin this review by saying that these are just my opinions and I am, in no way, about to glorify rape or abuse. I am a survivor myself, and I'm fully aware that this book bothered a lot of people. I would never question another reader's rating of this book, though, and I'm just going to ask you guys
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Holy. Shit. Folks.

I was so disappointed in this book.

I've been meaning to write a review for this for a while because there is an OVERWHELMING amount of positivity surrounding the series and I just...

WHY???

The plot was vapid beyond belief. The first 3/4 of the story goes practically nowhere and is made up of lots of weird sex and torture.

Contrived elements that were meant to make you feel desperation & sadness? They only succeeded in making me feel bitter and unconvinced.

The big reveal at th
Monique
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Compelling Reading...I was totally engrossed from start to finish....5 Fabulous Stars

Photobucket

Captive Prince, literally captivated me! this is amazing storytelling and I can honestly say I picked it up to read and did not put it down until both book 1 and book 2 were finished.....it was 5am, but I was hooked! These 2 books are FREE, yes, can you believe it, such a great story is free to read. The only down side is that there is no news on book 3 yet, however I have noticed that she will be publishin
Shile
Buddy Reread March 2019. Loved it even more.

5++++++++ stars

Oh dear Lord, Zeus, Poseidon and Thor forgive me because I actually loved this book. The book does not shy away from sensitive subjects like rape, slavery, flogging, public humiliation. And yet I could not stop reading it, and the writing was sooo goood!, this book got my attention from page 1.

description

Before you read just know that when they refer to a pet, they don’t mean a cute dog or a sassy lazy cat that sleeps all day and looks at you with
Dd
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites

Readers,what do I say about this book??

Power. Brilliance. Excellence. All delivered in one perfect package.

This is fiction at its finest!!!

Captive Prince.....

This is what they mean when they say that a book has the ability to transport you to worlds beyond!!

And was I ever???

This one gripped me in it's powerful clutches,and did not let go.This is what I look for in a book.

This book entranced,enchanted and devoured me.

And I loved every minute of it!!

------------------------------------
Samantha
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I neither loved nor hated this book and I was surprised about that since it tends to bring out very strong emotions in people.

I'm going to be doing a full review on this book, but wanted to touch on a few things here since it is such a controversial read.

Firstly, I've always planned on reading this entire series regardless of if I hated the first book. Especially because this series should honestly just be one book. All of the books are short enough to combine.

Secondly, yes OBVIOUSLY trigger
Julio Genao
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone with a pulse.
Recommended to Julio by: Susan
Shelves: loved
glorious.

review to come; the bonus story at the end of this edition has rendered me completely useless.

holy shit.

______________

previously:

description

watch me twerk it to da left! twerk it to da left! twerk, twerk, tw-twerk it to da left!

______________

previously:

fucking awesome.

dafuksit with these ozzie writers kickin' ass? lisa henry, s.u. pacat... (also: supacat. niiiiice. [ETA: author has since chosen the pseudonym C.S. Pacat]).

can't even be troubled to write a full review. i've got volume two to read.

m
Judith
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judith by: ravngirl ((prv. Jxsxph.k))
4 Stars.

This has been on my radar for so long.The ridiculous price but me off,so I was so happy when a friend lent me this series.
I read a few reviews and a lot mentioned sex slave so I was expecting maybe a bit of bondage?....maybe a bit of sexual coercion?
Well,there's none of that,in fact there's ..

No romance
It's not erotic
But there is a very hedonistic feel to the book.

I'll keep this brief because there are already some fantastic reviews out there.

Damen is the heir to the throne of Akielos an
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ by: Cristina Monica
Re-read 2/6/15...because book 3 finally came out and - not gonna lie - I can't remember SHIT about books 1 and 2...My bad!

Original Review:

This will be short because my laptop is dying and, quite frankly, I'm feeling lazy as shit.

Tah-Fucking-Dah.

I went into this knowing it was more political intrigue and less m/m romance... I just didn't think it would be ALL political intrigue and NO m/m romance.

description

Obviously, the seeds have been planted for future shenanigans, but anyway, that's my onl
Shin Mon Thway
Reread: 7th June 2018

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to relive this story for the very first time again. 😌 Laurent and Damen are the perfect epitome of my book boyfriends’ standards. 😍 The plotting, scheming, treachery, spying, danger, love, romance, suspense and a mystery, this trilogy has it all. No wonder it was considered one of the greatest MM fantasy romance trilogy of all times. 👏 D&L still certainly is my all time favorite couple. If I could only wish one thing and it would come true, I’d certa
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Cristina Monica

TRIGGER WARNING : graphic violence, rape, slavery

4.5 stars. Oh, the dilemma. Review it? Jump on book 2? Review it? Jump on book 2? Review it? Jump on book 2?

Eenie meenie miney mo
Catch a tiger by the toe
If he hollars let him go
Eenie meenie miney mo

Oh, screw it. I swear that I'll write a real review of Captive Prince: Volume One because Helloooo, it deserves ones, but for now my excitation and eagerness to freaking KNOW what will happen leads me to shorten my ramble and only give you reduced info
Sabrina
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

“For a prince, learning the words of an enemy was as important as learning the words of a friend.”

Why didn’t I read this FANTASTIC book before??
OMG, I’m in love. ❤️
IS SO FUCKING GOOD!!!

The story, the writing, the characters, the romance, the friendships, the politics, the development, how everything was dealt with and literally everything else was PERFECT.
Oh man, I’m in love. This is definitely on the list of my FAVORITE trilogy of all bloody freaking time.

“Trying to imagine Kastor plot

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

If this book was a person it would be:

photo jof_zpsyh0uau1j.gif

I mean. This book was full of depravity and brutality and cunning characters. And just plain ol'fucked up.

And what's worse?

I enjoyed it. A lot.

photo 17d1e2e9308a37bb412dbe31358da85b_zpsebacdmla.gif

And at times, it was even quite funny. I laughed. Some parts were so twisted I really just couldn't help myself.

photo wrong_zpse5wylh5h.gif

Let's get something straight. I don't enjoy the topics of slavery, torture, rape, sadism
Susan
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing

OBSESSED. <-me.

Captive Prince (Vol. 1) took the sharpest hook it could find and dug it deep into me and just pulled me along wherever it wanted to go.

The writing: phenomenal
The world-building: detailed & fascinating
The characters: deliciously layered
The story: political intrigue and mind-fuckery at its best

I was in a mild haze of confusion some of the time…there are a LOT of characters and countries and deceptive alliances and loyalties. But, if you just play along, it all starts to make sense a
Somos gente linda...: Lectura Conjunta SEPTIEMBRE 1 3 Sep 21, 2020 09:14PM
Captivated : Laurent's Mother 9 193 Apr 23, 2019 02:46PM
Suggestions MM Romance 3 80 Feb 04, 2019 06:19PM
Dreamcast? 7 215 May 08, 2018 10:32AM
Books similar to Captive Prince trilogy? 6 532 Nov 03, 2017 12:30PM

• The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Ravensong (Green Creek, #2)
  • Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel #1)
  • Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1)
  • Him (Him, #1)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Bloodraven (Bloodraven, #1)
  • Captive (Beautiful Monsters #1)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartsong (Green Creek, #3)
  • Sire (Beautiful Monsters, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.

Captive Prince (3 books)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Kings Rising (Captive Prince, #3)

News & Interviews

“Laurent could inspire homicidal tendencies simply by breathing.” 321 likes
“A golden prince was easy to love if you did not have to watch him picking wings off flies.” 228 likes