Start by marking “The Literary Study Bible: ESV” as Want to Read:
The Literary Study Bible: ESV

The Literary Study Bible: ESV

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Combining thousands of insightful notes with the complete ESV Bible text, the ESV Literary Study Bible helps readers understand God's Word more fully, in all its richness and beauty. It highlights the Bible's storylines, complex characters, historical settings, literary genres, motifs, theological themes, imagery, and important terms, making the Bible come alive with great ...more
Hardcover, 1952 pages
Published September 26th 2007 by Crossway Bibles

To ask other readers questions about The Literary Study Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Literary Study Bible

Gavin Breeden
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not really a typical "study Bible" with footnotes, etc. This Bible primarily considers the literary genres and qualities of the books (and individual chapters!) of the Bible. Each book, major section, and most chapters have a brief intro paragraph which considers the literary devices and aspects of the particular text.

This Bible is probably my preference for reading big chunks privately, the editor's notes give helpful thoughts but don't get into the minutiae of the biblical text, for that I us
Kent
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as in-depth as I would like. It's interpretations are cursory at best. Of course, it isn't meant to be exhaustive--I get that--bit I would like more specific analysis or explanations.
Jared
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really, really wish that I could give this study Bible a better rating. Really. Because I believe with all my heart that a "literary" (synchronic) approach to Scripture is the ultimately proper and most fruitful way to interpret this sacred Book and avoids many of the pitfalls of the typical scholarly "historical" (diachronic) approach.

However, I must be honest: I found most of the study notes in this Bible pretty unhelpful overall. First, they were too broadly "literary"; I felt very often l
John
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I took a chance and purchased this for $13 in the trustone edition and I am really glad I did. I now use this Bible for my daily Bible readings and the format is most excellent for such use. The footnotes are definitely not exausitive, but they do an excellent job of leading the reader through the literary aspects of the Holy Scripture as well as insights into the big picture on the theological issues of the liteary units of scripture. I have other study Bibles and I actually tend to get distrac ...more
Mark Cerasaro
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tools
Though not my "Favourite" translation, this particular study Bible helps one consider "Author's intent" and teachability through the lens of literature in a very effective way. Strengths include brief introductions to sections as literary devices change, and narrative shifts. One weakness is that it focuses on literary devices used only after translation to English. There is little or no discussion of how the original text might have read to a Biblical Hebrew speaker: eg. "these names rhymed in ...more
Nicole Rose
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I purchased this Bible primarily for it's wide, open margins. As a note-taker (trained as an English major), space for my own thoughts and reflections has been an important element of study. The English Standard Version (ESV) is a great version for the natural scholar; it is a modern word-for-word translation from early manuscripts and tends to be favoured by academically inclined teachers and preachers. I have been told it's the "only version" to read, but that's just pomp. As long as you're re ...more
Danny Kim
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this bible!!! This is now my bible of choice.

- Book summary from a literary perspective containing information about the Genre of each book.
- Summaries of every couple of chapters.

I really enjoy this bible because I was looking for something to help me better understand the Word understanding each chapter in context rather than understanding individual verses out of context.

I'm using this bible to read through Dr. Horner's Bible Reading system. Great stuff!
Virginia Knowles
Feb 05, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: theology
I like this Bible for its literary features, but the one I have doesn't have a concordance or other standard study features. The print font is also a little too small for my fortysomething eyes, even with my reading glasses, so I find myself going back to my tattered NIV for daily devotions. We use the ESV at church. I am hoping to get a large print ESV study Bible when it comes out, if I can afford it!
Stephen
I won't presume to rate the Bible itself.

In regards to the "Literary Study Bible" apparatus, I found it helpful at times, but at other times annoying. While it was sometimes helpful to be aware of the big-picture flow of, say, an epistle or prophetic utterance or psalm, sometimes the scientific classification of literary genres (praise psalm, lament psalm, etc.) detracted from a sense of reverence and wonder.
Rivkah
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Looked great but either failed in its goal or my expectations were unfounded. So... I love the ESV translation, but I really was not keen on this edition. I'm uneasy about saying more because I have strong feelings about it. And because I finished it last year and have moved to different translations etc.
Curtis
Jul 24, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
This is an English Standard Version (ESV) study bible. But instead of the usual theological analysis, this takes a literary approach. Stories are analyzed for plot, character development, etc., etc. I'm saving up for this one!
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Thomas Nelson's Chronological Study Bible is actually more satisfying to my curiosity about literary genres and styles (at least through Joshua, which is as far as I have gotten). The commentary in the Literary ESV seemed kind of dry and obvious.
Karla Goforth Abreu
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful Bible for the purpose it was published, the reader, student, or scholar who is interested in the literary aspect of the Bible. It is NOT a study Bible, but does add insight from a literary perspective. The ESV is a reliable translation, also.
Warren Sibley
Jan 08, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: theology, bible
I am using this for devotions this year. page layout is like a book. i am sure there's a fancier way to say that, but, anyway. it's "study bible-ness" is that it approaches the study of the Bible from a literary standpoint. it's been very helpful in the Psalms already.
Sophia
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This Bible I have currently was published in 2008. I really appreciate this version. It is both accurate to the original text, easy to understand (in this modern world), and still beautiful sounding.
Vanessa
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Vanessa by: vanessa_minkoff@yahoo.com
I'm really enjoying this translation. Normally I read the NASB but the ESV is a nice alternative. Before each book and chapter there are very interesting and helpful blurbs about the origin, format and content contained in each. We've been using it as our daily family devotional bible.
G Walker
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A regular companion... good helpful basic and pastoral insights... for something deeper see Dorsey or Leithart or Jordan... but for a single volume literary guide, this is a nice resource. Good.
Joseph
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Insightful at times, not perfect, but a great way to read the Bible – as literature in parts, yet seeing the big picture which God paints throughout Scripture.
nate
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I haven't read every word of this study Bible (not even close) but I have enjoyed it very much and found its treatment of the literary features of the Bible to be very helpful.
Eric Molicki
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
The Literary Study Bible's high-level comments are very useful for devotional reading.
Kelli
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
It's the Bible. Of course it is great. But added to this greatness are literary notes from Ryken. A great Bible to use with Ryken's Words of Delight.
Torrey Hoffman
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader
  • William Tyndale: A Biography
  • The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha
  • A Taste of Heaven: Worship in the Light of Eternity
  • Deep Comedy: Trinity, Tragedy, & Hope in Western Literature
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature: . . . and Get More Out of It
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • NET Bible (with notes)
  • E. M. Bounds on Prayer
  • An Introduction to Systematic Theology: Prolegomena and the Doctrines of Revelation, Scripture, and God
  • Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church
  • Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities
  • The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Practice in Christianity
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...