Start by marking “No Dress Rehearsal” as Want to Read:
No Dress Rehearsal

No Dress Rehearsal (Open Door Series)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  870 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Lizzie hasn't realised that she's dead yet. She can't understand why everyone is ignoring her when all she wants is a little sympathy. She has been in an accident, after all. Next day at work, she meets two spirits who've been sent to break the news.
Published December 1st 2000 by New Island Books (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about No Dress Rehearsal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dress Rehearsal

Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really like Marian Keyes' books, but this isn't a book. It's more of a short story written in a pamphlet type format. It was 80 or so pages, but the pages were about 4"x3".

I don't know anything about the Open Door Series, and perhaps if I did, I wouldn't have bothered with this "book." I'm guessing that the whole series is about life after death or what happens when we die or something existential with religious overtones to it. Not my thing. I'd probably of not given it any stars at all, but
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Great little book - a 'novella' or long short story, really. I like these quick read type books that are intended to encourage adults to read or improve their reading - they provide a short blast of a good author, just a little something to keep you going. I love Marian Keyes' books and this is a little treasure. It's such a plausible idea - what if you died, but didn't realise that you were dead? Both moving and funny.
Apr 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I read this very quickly today, in a couple of hours, and really liked this simple, short story. It is a cute little tale about death and what's left behind and the fact that life has no second chances, so one should always make the best of it while they can. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to read this little tale.
♥ Marlene♥
A very cute little book. Funny enough it was a subject very near me. Lately I feel like I am not living as I should. The days are slipping away from me. My reason is bad health but that is not good enough reason for not enjoying life to the fullest. So I have to yet again give myself a kick.

This book is short but sweet.
Déborah Muñoz
Ni siquiera puede considerarse novela. Relato (y corto) más bien. 180 páginas que se quedan en 90 sin la parte en inglés, pero con una letra y un interlineado descaradamente grandes. La historia tampoco es que me haya dicho mucho, aunque resulta más o menos entretenida.
Zaida Budi
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho, aunque más que una novela es un relato. El tema principal de la muerte (se desvela en la primera página) está tratado de una forma "divertida" y recurrente.
Linda Katzman
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Lizzie is dead. She just doesn’t realize it yet. She goes on about her life like she normally would but people are ignoring her and it is ticking her off. Why would they do that? She was not a wallflower when. Lizzie thought herself rather popular. Lizzie has a great boyfriend even if they had been fighting a lot more lately. She had plenty of friends. She didn’t like her job, but she was good at it. Does anyone really like their job? It paid the bills and made living easier. There is so much Li ...more
Noelia Granda Carrasco
Una historia ligera y rápida, perfecta para comenzar a leer en inglés. El vocabulario es bastante sencillo, quizá algunas frases hechas se te pueden atravesar, pero nada del otro mundo, lo bueno de mi edición es que era bilingüe. En cuanto a la historia, bueno es entretenida para pasar un rato por la tarde y sin duda sacas una moraleja: aprovecha el momento.
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A really quick, easy, adult read, and it allowed me to delve further into genres that I am not familiar with. There was definitely a strong message running through the entire book (Live life to the full) which is my life motto.
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is quite short, but I think it's fantastic. It does a really good job (quite by accident, I suspect) of describing the idea that the physical world and the spiritual world are actually co-located.
Mickey Reed
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2010
It was short and to the point. It contained a lesson that I wish everyone embraced. This world would be a whole lot different if we were living like tomorrow might never come.
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a short story or novella for a series of books that teach adults how to read. It is a pretty good story about a girl who is dead and does not know it. It is not scary but it is sad.
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Super short read. Definitely food for thought. Emma doesn't realize she's dead and then wishes she had lived better.
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I always enjoy a Marian Keyes tale & I like the "Open Door" series so it's no surprise I enjoyed this really quick read about Lizzie who has died. Sadly she hasn't realised she's dead yet & won't move on until she can say her goodbyes.
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, irish
Perfect if you are returning to Irish after more than a decade away. I had to get the old green collins dictionary out, but the book was still accessible and enjoyable. An encouraging start for the super rusty folk!
Darlene Payne
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Marian Keyes, and this novella hit the spot today.
Historia corta y diferente. voy a seguir leyendo de la escritora
Kayleigh Muttschall
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well it was a good time filler, I suppose... It wasn't bad, exactly, just not very special.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pinkiland Kristie

La historia, sencilla, tierna, graciosa y sobretodo adorable, me ha encantado el personaje de Lizzie, imaginaos es una angelita, pero no esta convencida de serlo, ella quiere decir a los que la rodeaban que aún esta ahí, ella puede verlos, que no esta muerta.
[Lee la entrada completa en el blog!!]
Kat A
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is part of a easy adult learn to read series. It was a great short story about a 30 something who dies, but doesn't realise it. It makes some great points about modern life and Lizzie's death even inspires her friend to start living, because life is not dress rehearsal. Before reading it, I had forgotten how many adults are illiterate, and one of the main stumbling blocks are engaging materials. It's the same for children. It's a great project, and something I didn't know was out there unti ...more
Leah Veritay
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wayward teens
Honestly didn't except such a teeny-tiny book! But I got to introduce my friend to the 'stack' collection in a library which was probably more exciting than the actual reading of the book. I felt it was almost like a note-to-self type of short story. Be more grateful in life, that type of thing. Took only an hour to get through but it does have the simple effect of making one reflect on life and living. Now that I know it's part of the Open Door series, I can make more sense of the size.
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't know until after I read the book & read Goodread Reviews that this book was written for the "Open Door" series which is written to help adults learning to read. Before I knew that I thought it was ok - ok short chic lit which gave me an even greater for Keyes' best (Anybody Out There"). But knowing it was written to be an easy adult read I think it is brilliant. Definitely has the chic lit vibe I hope will grab adult learners & encourage them to keep reading!
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the entire novella on the train this morning. It lacks the complexity and richness of her usual work, and there is little subtlety in the message. I understand from other reviews that this is meant to be a simple, easy story, and it certainly met the goal. I have been spoiled by Keyes other works, though. Her voice has been captured, but there's not enough story for my tastes.
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
It's short, so it's a very quick read (I read the whole thing on an hour-long flight, so it's actually more of a novella than a novel), but it's still very cute and worth the hour it will take to spend with it. It was written for the "Open Door" series, which is a program to help improve reading skills.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Another short and sweet title from the Open Door series. Not much to it, basically just getting across that life is short and to take advantage of it while you can.

Part of the Open Door Series - a program of original works by beloved authors, originally designed in Ireland to promote adult literacy.
Lizzie is dead and she doesn't know it, and when she knows, she wants a second chance in life.
Short, effortless and entertaining story, perfect to read while you are waiting on the couch for your family to get ready to go out (my case) and with a nice lesson about living our lives truth to our dreams and promises.

190 pages that turn into 95 because the story is both in english and spanish.
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book was written for adults who are learning how to read. I think Keyes wrote a very engaging story despite being just 80 pages and would recommend it to anyone, not just learners. I also think it has a great message.
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a crisp, feel-good short story (feel good despite the fact the main character dies on the first page). Sort of an "It's a Wonderful Life" meets, well, Marian Keyes' other works. With a valuable how to live life message. Fun, quick read.
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought I had read everything by Keyes. Just found this short story at the library before work. Excited to finish tonight.
Open Door Series? 1 2 Sep 01, 2011 12:24PM
  • Party Animal
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • This Christmas
  • Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a Chick Lit Novel
  • Secrets and Seductions (The Sweet Life #4)
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • Pug Hill
  • Daily Candy A to Z: An Insider's Guide to the Sweet Life
  • Charlie
  • New Beginnings
  • Jade Tiger
  • The Stone Angel
  • Little Critter Storybook Collection
  • The Bizarre Truth: How I Walked Out the Door Mouth First . . . and Came Back Shaking My Head
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...

Open Door Series (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Sad Song
  • In High Germany (Open Door Series (New Island Books).)
  • Not Just For Christmas (Open Door)
  • Maggie's Story
  • Jesus and Billy Are Off to Barcelona
  • Ripples
  • Joe's Wedding
  • Quell'incredibile inverno del '75
  • Second Chance (Open Door)
  • Pipe Dreams (Open Door)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99