Start by marking “To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story” as Want to Read:
To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story

To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  398 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Casey and Steven met in Morocco, moved to China then went all the way to Timbuktu. This illustrated travel memoir tells the story of their first two years out of college spent teaching English, making friends across language barriers, researching, painting, and learning to be themselves wherever they are.
Published March 1st 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about To Timbuktu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Timbuktu

Dani Shuping
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Casey and Steven were college students at opposite ends of the country, one in California and one in Maine. Yet, they happened to meet in Morocco during a study abroad trip. And they decided to keep in touch...and then they decided to move to China and teach English and then head out across the world together. Crazy where the world and life takes you huh? While traveling they fall in love with each other even more, find out about life and the world, and maybe make a few friends along the way (ev ...more
Tasha
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Travel, romance and finding oneself are what makes this book irresistible. Casey and Steven met in Morocco, had a long distance relationship across the US, and then moved together to China and eventually Mali. This book celebrates taking leaps of faith with one another, experiencing life to the fullest, embracing different cultures, and just being entirely human in the process. Come spend a year with an engaging couple who teach, write, draw, and inspire.

Scieszka’s writing is frank and inviting.
Doug Beatty
Aug 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am having a huge problem with this book. It seems to be marketed to teens, and in the library where I got the book, it is clearly part of the teen collection. The Two main characters are out of college, and are spending a lot of time talking about grants and fullbright scholarships, and almost nothing that would have interested me when I was a teen. Heck, it hardly interests me now. The book is nearly five hundred pages so you can imagine...

The book features artwork by Steven Weinberg, but it
Erin
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: china, biography, africa
I think this book is going to make me want to travel even worse but gotta love it!
I loved reading the author's travels. So many times I heard myself agreeing and relating to their feelings when traveling. I wish I had written this book about my experiences in Indonesia. It was wonderful.
Diane Ferbrache
Casey and Steven are a young couple on an adventure. They met while studying abroad in college in Morocco and have embarked on a trip that takes them from Brooklyn to Beijing to Mali to Timbuktu. Along the way they meet loads of interesting people and have the experience of a lifetime. This is their journal/memoir/scrapbook. It's funny, scary, exasperating and grandly illustrated by Steven's pencil sketches.

Their first stop to teach English in Beijing starts off a bit rough -- their assignment i
Lacey Louwagie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who dream of traveling
Recommended to Lacey by: Booklist or School Library Journal
This book is basically a combination graphic novel/journal/travelogue/memoir of a new relationship. Any of those elements alone wouldn't have been enough to make me pick it up, but with all of them thrown together, I was too intrigued to resist.

Essentially, a couple who met when they studied abroad and maintained a very long-distance (separate coasts) relationship for a year decided to spend two years together traveling through Asia and Africa. They documented the experience through writing (her
Yoo Kyung Sung
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla
One of the few books that tells authentic international and cultural experiences that can have us to think about global English education.. So real and reflectively portraying English language teachers experience in global communities. The relationship of CAsey and Steven makes thief journey engaging and real. Majority American readers will have better insights about living in foreign countries as English language teachers which are often nicknamed as linguistic prostitutions among the English e ...more
Nick
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an advance copy.
The blend of physical and personal journey narrative kept me riveted. I was mildly disappointed by the actual events in the Timbuktu section...I had been looking forward to that part for many pages, but that was, in fact, one of the less interesting parts of the book. The details in the sections on other parts of Africa, or their adventures as teachers in China, were so much richer that the Timbuktu section suffered by comparison.
Overall, the interactions
Robin
I want to do a more complete review on my blog; so more to come.
Really enjoyable read. I found Casey's voice genuine, fun and appealing and I like her even though she doesn't like Harry Potter! (and I don't really care for the Stupids -- gasp!) Steven's drawings are equally appealing. A great travelogue -- definite teen appeal I think.

Questions:
I'd love a recipe for some of the dishes -- especially the Chinese eggplant.

Do Casey and Steven do Skype visits???
Ramarie
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A travelogue written by the daughter of Jon Scieszka and illustrated by her boyfriend, Steven. They travel together to China to teach English, visit several East Asian countries, study and live in Mali. It's heavily illustrated by Steven, and written as 1-3 page snapshots of their experiences. A leisurely read, but no less enjoyable for it.

allthewaytotimbuktu.com
locallanguageliteracy.org
telephoneandsoup.com
Tasara
Oct 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic
Kind of like reading somebody's study abroad (Goshen College SST) journal they are doing for 3 credits of Gen Ed. Kind of interesting, but kind of tiring reading about first-world problems of not being able to connect or make friends, being asked for money, etc. after visiting (or "living" as they call it) in places where lots of travelers/Peace Corps workers/volunteers pass through. But funny enough, Casey is obviously Jon Scieszka's daughter! There should be more jokes!
Crystal
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
One of the most engaging, honest, and fun travelogues I've ever read. Neat drawings on every page with smart, well-placed text, it was a joy to lose myself in this book. Also, I know a lot more about Timbuktu now.
Krista
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable story of two young people traveling the world, and finding themselves - and each other - as they seek to learn and do good in Asia and Africa. Steven's illustrations complement Casey's text well.
GraceAnne
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is just delightful. Casey is so open, so stream -of-consciousness, so utterly in the moment and yet thoughtful, and Steven's pictures form an evocative and often amusing counterpoint and commentary. They were wonderful companions to share their journey, with each other and with readers.
Cari
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Better at the start and got a little boring towards the end, but still pretty good.
Pyone Lei Lei Mon
It's a fun read with cool illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs, travel
This travelogue/memoir could be a lot more interesting and insightful than it is. The narrative is more engaging once they get to Mali, but that is more than halfway into the book.
Mindy
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Must-read for any young person interested in teaching English in China or traveling in Asia or Africa. Great book!
Dawn Ryan
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An adventurous and relevant true story about recent college grads, in love, who want to travel the world and make art. The graphic novel illustrations are fun and collaborative. What could be better?
camilla
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, travel
More travel lit than YA. Cute.
I was super excited about this book, and I'm sure it's great and all, but the tone is a little too manic and disjointed for me right now.
Chance Dudley
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was pretty good. I loved the combination of Steven's quirky and whimsical illustrations and Casey's account of the ups and downs of their travels and, for the most part, each complemented the other to make an exciting and authentic story. Like their sometimes bizarre travels, this book had its ups and downs, but overall it held my attention (and being about 500 pages, this is an incredible feat tbh and I'm awarding a star for that alone).
Rick
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading this book not only stirred up some mad Wanderlust in me but also made me wish that Jill and I had already written up our experiences in India right. Someday...
Marsha
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Casey and Steen spent about a year or more traveling through different countries in Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Casey had a grant from her college to study and write about these different cultures. Casey and Steven taught ESL in some of the countries, which also helped pay their way. I enjoyed reading about their adventures teaching in the schools and the children’s reactions to them. This young couple had a lot of spunk.

Sometimes Casey and Steven would argue, but for the most part they go
Helen
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
For years I have wanted to study abroad. I yearn to learn to speak a foreign language fluently from the natives, adopt their cultural habits, and become one of the local crowd. I imagine myself chatting with my new neighbors over tea, forming a bond, and proving that not all American travelers fit our boorish reputation. And when I have finally returned home, my new friends will tell everyone about their cool American friend.

Unfortunately, my study abroad days are behind me. But now I can live v
Maggie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This started out pretty good with fun narrative and fun pictures. The authors did a good job showing us how life is for people living in the many places; making friends, eating in local places (not the tourist ones) riding public transportation... They also did a good job in showing some of the hardships; getting sick from the food, being jailed for no reason and being chased and having rocks thrown at them from a prejudiced mob.

Somewhere after China, however, it started to get a little boring.
Kerry
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
2 college students meet in Morocco during junior year
They both love each other and travel it's clear
They navigate post-college funding and fear
China is destination numero uno towards which they steer
Casey's family even comes to visit them here

Teaching has its ups and downs it's true
Also winter in China can make one blue
Delightful flavors help them get through
Some months later, it's on to a country in SE Asia or a few

Next, by beaches and tropical weather they're greeted
Time to write and sketch an
Angel
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story is the story of Casey Scieszka and Steven Weinberg, two straight out of college kids that met in Morocco that go around the world together, specifically to nine countries together, including places like China in order to teach English, Thailand to catch up with some college buddies, as well as many other countries. Through their travels together, that were wonderfully written by Casey, and delightfully drawn by Steven, they learn about the ...more
Kristin
I wasn't sure if I felt strongly enough about this book to give it a description. It's the kind of book that you can enjoy while still feeling kind of ambivalent about it. Casey and Steven meet in Morocco while on two different foreign exchange programs in college. They hook up, but remain friends despite going to two different schools on opposite sides of the country. After a successful string of visits during their last year of college, they decide they care about each other enough to just up ...more
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • Tokyo on Foot: Travels in the City's Most Colorful Neighborhoods
  • Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
  • Diario de Oaxaca: A Sketchbook Journal of Two Years in Mexico
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
  • The Brave Escape of Edith Wharton
  • Kampung Boy
  • Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way)
  • The Other Side of the Wall
  • Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition
  • Dead High Yearbook
  • Jump
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
  • Made for You and Me: Going West, Going Broke, Finding Home
  • Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck
  • How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less
  • Mother of God: An Extraordinary Journey into the Uncharted Tributaries of the Western Amazon
  • The Girl Who Became a Beatle
“Dear Fly,

I love you. If you are a mouse I am cheese. If you are a cat I am a mouse. You are a fly, so I want to be shit.”
3 likes