Start by marking “To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story” as Want to Read:
To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story

To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story

Casey and Steven met in Morocco, moved to China then went all the way to Timbuktu. This illustrated travel memoir tells the story of their first two years out of college spent teaching English, making friends across language barriers, researching, painting, and learning to be themselves wherever they are.
Published March 1st 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about To Timbuktu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Timbuktu

Dani Shuping
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Casey and Steven were college students at opposite ends of the country, one in California and one in Maine. Yet, they happened to meet in Morocco during a study abroad trip. And they decided to keep in touch...and then they decided to move to China and teach English and then head out across the world together. Crazy where the world and life takes you huh? While traveling they fall in love with each other even more, find out about life and the world, and maybe make a few friends along the way (ev ...more
Tasha
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Travel, romance and finding oneself are what makes this book irresistible. Casey and Steven met in Morocco, had a long distance relationship across the US, and then moved together to China and eventually Mali. This book celebrates taking leaps of faith with one another, experiencing life to the fullest, embracing different cultures, and just being entirely human in the process. Come spend a year with an engaging couple who teach, write, draw, and inspire.

Scieszka’s writing is frank and inviting.
Doug Beatty
Aug 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am having a huge problem with this book. It seems to be marketed to teens, and in the library where I got the book, it is clearly part of the teen collection. The Two main characters are out of college, and are spending a lot of time talking about grants and fullbright scholarships, and almost nothing that would have interested me when I was a teen. Heck, it hardly interests me now. The book is nearly five hundred pages so you can imagine...

The book features artwork by Steven Weinberg, but it
Erin
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, africa, china
I think this book is going to make me want to travel even worse but gotta love it!
I loved reading the author's travels. So many times I heard myself agreeing and relating to their feelings when traveling. I wish I had written this book about my experiences in Indonesia. It was wonderful.
Claire
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It ached reading this - the good and the bad of living abroad rushed back at me.
Diane Ferbrache
Casey and Steven are a young couple on an adventure. They met while studying abroad in college in Morocco and have embarked on a trip that takes them from Brooklyn to Beijing to Mali to Timbuktu. Along the way they meet loads of interesting people and have the experience of a lifetime. This is their journal/memoir/scrapbook. It's funny, scary, exasperating and grandly illustrated by Steven's pencil sketches.

Their first stop to teach English in Beijing starts off a bit rough -- their assignment i
Lacey Louwagie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who dream of traveling
Recommended to Lacey by: Booklist or School Library Journal
This book is basically a combination graphic novel/journal/travelogue/memoir of a new relationship. Any of those elements alone wouldn't have been enough to make me pick it up, but with all of them thrown together, I was too intrigued to resist.

Essentially, a couple who met when they studied abroad and maintained a very long-distance (separate coasts) relationship for a year decided to spend two years together traveling through Asia and Africa. They documented the experience through writing (her
Kelly
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this, and the style of the book itself was refreshing. But there were draggy parts, and I'd have really liked to read Steven's point of view, too, at times. One of the things that really bothered me was how much there was privilege in what they were doing, and it was never addressed -- this bothered me in the beginning, and it bothered me moreso in the end when there was a lot of being depressed about being harassed for money.

I'm not sure why this is marketed as YA sinc
Yoo Kyung Sung
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla
One of the few books that tells authentic international and cultural experiences that can have us to think about global English education.. So real and reflectively portraying English language teachers experience in global communities. The relationship of CAsey and Steven makes thief journey engaging and real. Majority American readers will have better insights about living in foreign countries as English language teachers which are often nicknamed as linguistic prostitutions among the English e ...more
Nick
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an advance copy.
The blend of physical and personal journey narrative kept me riveted. I was mildly disappointed by the actual events in the Timbuktu section...I had been looking forward to that part for many pages, but that was, in fact, one of the less interesting parts of the book. The details in the sections on other parts of Africa, or their adventures as teachers in China, were so much richer that the Timbuktu section suffered by comparison.
Overall, the interactions
Michal Huniewicz
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
The problem of this book isn't so much its text (too much of it, overwhelming the images; poor style) or the images (below average), but how unbelievably shallow and superficial all the observations are, lacking any kind of depth and curiosity. It's quite remarkable how the authors managed to reduce that amazing journey to an endless stream of "and then we did this, and then we did that". Pain to get through, but I learnt how to pronounce Laos.
Robin
I want to do a more complete review on my blog; so more to come.
Really enjoyable read. I found Casey's voice genuine, fun and appealing and I like her even though she doesn't like Harry Potter! (and I don't really care for the Stupids -- gasp!) Steven's drawings are equally appealing. A great travelogue -- definite teen appeal I think.

Questions:
I'd love a recipe for some of the dishes -- especially the Chinese eggplant.

Do Casey and Steven do Skype visits???
Ramarie
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A travelogue written by the daughter of Jon Scieszka and illustrated by her boyfriend, Steven. They travel together to China to teach English, visit several East Asian countries, study and live in Mali. It's heavily illustrated by Steven, and written as 1-3 page snapshots of their experiences. A leisurely read, but no less enjoyable for it.

allthewaytotimbuktu.com
locallanguageliteracy.org
telephoneandsoup.com
Tasara
Oct 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic
Kind of like reading somebody's study abroad (Goshen College SST) journal they are doing for 3 credits of Gen Ed. Kind of interesting, but kind of tiring reading about first-world problems of not being able to connect or make friends, being asked for money, etc. after visiting (or "living" as they call it) in places where lots of travelers/Peace Corps workers/volunteers pass through. But funny enough, Casey is obviously Jon Scieszka's daughter! There should be more jokes!
Crystal
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
One of the most engaging, honest, and fun travelogues I've ever read. Neat drawings on every page with smart, well-placed text, it was a joy to lose myself in this book. Also, I know a lot more about Timbuktu now.
Krista
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable story of two young people traveling the world, and finding themselves - and each other - as they seek to learn and do good in Asia and Africa. Steven's illustrations complement Casey's text well.
GraceAnne
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is just delightful. Casey is so open, so stream -of-consciousness, so utterly in the moment and yet thoughtful, and Steven's pictures form an evocative and often amusing counterpoint and commentary. They were wonderful companions to share their journey, with each other and with readers.
Cari
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Better at the start and got a little boring towards the end, but still pretty good.
Pyone Lei Lei Mon
It's a fun read with cool illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs, travel
This travelogue/memoir could be a lot more interesting and insightful than it is. The narrative is more engaging once they get to Mali, but that is more than halfway into the book.
Mindy
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Must-read for any young person interested in teaching English in China or traveling in Asia or Africa. Great book!
Dawn Ryan
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An adventurous and relevant true story about recent college grads, in love, who want to travel the world and make art. The graphic novel illustrations are fun and collaborative. What could be better?
camilla
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, travel
More travel lit than YA. Cute.
I was super excited about this book, and I'm sure it's great and all, but the tone is a little too manic and disjointed for me right now.
Sj
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
True story about a couple who meet while they are studying abroad in Morroco. When they graduate from college, they decide to take the plunge and live and work together internationally. Their adventure starts in Beijing, China where they work teaching English. They travel for a little after that and then eventually move to Mali. Casey has accepted a Fullbright Fellowship opportunity and Steven goes to work on his art. They also find opportunities to teach English. I loved this book. As someone w ...more
Chance Dudley
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was pretty good. I loved the combination of Steven's quirky and whimsical illustrations and Casey's account of the ups and downs of their travels and, for the most part, each complemented the other to make an exciting and authentic story. Like their sometimes bizarre travels, this book had its ups and downs, but overall it held my attention (and being about 500 pages, this is an incredible feat tbh and I'm awarding a star for that alone).
Jesse
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
My favorite part of this book was the fact that there were drawings on every page. The story lacked substance. I finished and wondered what the point of it was. I didn't get a sense of a journey. I don't know what they learned from the different places that they visited and people they met. It was just a book that said hey, we went here, we ate this, and we met a few people, and now we're glad to go home.
The Once and Future King
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was almost like reading Diary Entries and now I want to go to Mekong for a River Party!
Aly
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Brought me back to my own time backpacking - the exciting parts, the frustrating parts, and the boring parts that come along with longer term travel
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • The Brave Escape of Edith Wharton
  • The Girl Who Became a Beatle
  • Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing
  • Jane Austen: A Life Revealed
  • Jump
  • Mother of God: An Extraordinary Journey into the Uncharted Tributaries of the Western Amazon
  • Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence, A True Story in Black and White
“Dear Fly,

I love you. If you are a mouse I am cheese. If you are a cat I am a mouse. You are a fly, so I want to be shit.”
4 likes