Start by marking “Holy Bible: New Living Translation” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: New Living Translation

Holy Bible: New Living Translation

This hardcover plain-text Bible offers readers the clear and understandable New Living Translation along with special features such as a 33-page topical verse finder, 8 pages of full-color maps, and a presentation page--all at an affordable price. This edition has a two-column layout with generous margins and font size, providing a comfortable reading experience.
Hardcover, 2057 pages
Published July 1st 2004 (first published July 1st 1902)

Donna
I am always reading this. When the year ends, I just begin again. God is the most important part of my life. Without Him there is nothing.
Alan
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I grew up reading the King James Version ("KJV") of the Bible. A few years ago I laughed at modern Bible translations. "They don't even come close to the historic and poetic language of the KJV," I would argue.

That was until I actually picked up the New Living Translation ("NLT") and read the whole thing. It was refreshing! I could actually understand the Bible! I especially enjoyed the NLT's thought-for-thought translation. This is important because many phrases used in Hebrew hundreds of year
Laurelle
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Okay, this book will never leave my "currently reading" list at all. This book, the Bible, is a book that I need each day ~ without it I cannot live life. It is the breathe of God and bread of my life, without it, I am lost!!
Jenny  Baker
I finished! This is my first time reading the entire Bible!

The idea of reading it intimidated me, because I worried that I wouldn’t understand it. I decided that I was being a coward and that nobody fully understands it the first time. I love the daily readings format in the print book and the Audible narration. It made my year of Bible reading less daunting. If this is your first time reading the Bible, I recommend this version and suggest you do your own read-along as I did.

By the way, my ra
Mari Jaye
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, spiritual
i love the fresh, modern language of this version. The Word comes alive for me :) i'm studying the book of philippians at the moment and although short, it is packed from beginning to end with spiritual food. my favorite passage today, and one i've been meditating on is, "...you are holy and blameless as you stand before God, without a single fault. But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it." How many times do we try to earn God's love and favor by our own works and good ...more
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the chronological sorting of the historical accounts! As someone who has read through the Bible 10 times or more, this approach gave me new insights into the different viewpoints and therefore the writers themselves (and, of course, the Author), when there are two or more accounts of the same subject matter. The Kings of Judah and Israel have often fascinated me and this Bible version will help me immensely on my Excel chart of them (yes, I know that's really nerdy!). The Gospels display ...more
Rachel
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's funny to think one can write a review on the Bible. To me, this is not a normal book. It keeps me grounded, reminds me to treat others well, to live a life pleasing to God, and most importantly, reminds me of how very much God loves me even when I am at my worst. This is a book that gives me peace. No matter what is going on in my life or how chaotic my world seems, I can open this book, spend some time with God, and feel totally refreshed with a calmness that is unexplainable.
If you've eve
Ivie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't completely anonymous. It was God's Word, breathed from Him to the disciples, to the followers. So while the person is unknown, it is God's Word through them.
Elizabeth Dragina
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Book Ever. No one else can beat it. Nothing else can replace it.
Karla Goforth Abreu
I am currently using this in the ESV version. The layout of this is dated for every day of the year, though not by the year, so it can be used year after year. It is broken into Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, Proverbs, for the reading. At the end of the year, one has covered the entire Bible. It is extremely fulfilling to use for a daily routine, especially to begin one's day. My preferred version is the English Standard Version, as it is quite an accurate translation from the Greek. The ...more
JJ
For the past couple of months, I've made my way through the NLT Bible in rather an unorthdox order. I read the Gospels late last year, and Acts early this year. I picked it up again at Joshua and read through to the end of the Old Testament. Then I went back and read Genesis through Deuteronomy, and then I read the Epistles and Revelation.

Despite having attended a somewhat religious school (and studied Religious Studies as an option in high school), I was reading a lot of the books for the firs
Shirley Scurlock
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cwa-review
“The Everyday matters Bible for Women” has a beautifully designed cover. The cheerful, colorful design is sure to be any ladies delight. In comparison to the normal black leather Bible we all love and appreciate, it’s appearance is sure to be an attraction for many young women.

The introduction to each Bible book is informative and well written. I personally enjoyed the devotionals I found throughout the Bible. Each devotional is well written, with many contributors adding their voice to make thi
Andrea
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has really been a one year project, starting January, 2011. I feel like I really was inspired and have a true sense of accomplishment. This book made it possible for me to read the entire Bible in one year, very easy to read an Old Testament, New Testament, Psalm and Proverb selection for that day every night before going to bed. Highly recommend.
Jason Lilly
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An accurate and understandable translation of the New Testament. This is one of the best translations out there, easy to read and very compelling.
Brian Eshleman
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Because there are not six stars.
Angie (Bussen) Siedell
I do have to say, the language in this New Living Translation feels a little trying-to-hard at times. The message is the same, but in the translators attempt to be hip it comes off a bit silly in it's wording. I'd probably have preferred NIV or NAS, but it was a gift and it's still God's word and a great discipline, encouragement and reminder of His truths each day.
Read it in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and again in 2010. Fantastic way to keep daily focus. Might try a different translati
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this in 1998, and haven't stopped. How can I when its mercies are new every morning? Each consecutive reading, I see something that I wasn't mature enough to understand the year before. I recommend this as the start of your day with an empty journal and enough ink to respond. It will change your life!
Glenn Myers
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying the NLT as a fresh, easy-to-read translation; a little bit less interpreted-for-me than The Message. Because it's a dynamic-equivalence rather than word-for-word translation, it isn't so good for detailed study of individual verses.
Vernie
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are bibles and there is bibles that are different from the rest.

If you like devotionals as I do but like the two-in-one kind. Then In His Image devotional bible is the answer.

Tyndale is best known for their bibles and devotionals. I have two of the ONE YEAR devotionals. Each new bible that this book publisher comes out tends to be always unique, there are specialty bibles meant for kids, teenagers, for Moms, for busy dads.

So what is this bible for, what sets it apart from the other bibles
Angela
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Bible is written in the New Living Translation (NLT) which makes it very simple to understand. There are also footnotes at the bottom of the pages to help clarify passages even more. Also within the books and chapters, you will find articles to help us understand how these stories still apply to us today. For me this not only helps in understanding the message but also allows the stories to become more real and help me achieve the connection I am looking for.

Everyday Matters Bible for Women
Michael
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I am continually studying the Bible, I have read through it actually twice, both times it was with this translation. First time was when the first edition came out and the second time was with the current or second edition. This is not paraphrased but an English translation from Hebrew and Greek texts. This translation is contemporary, stylish and acutely accurate. Elements such as weights and measures, money, dates and times etc. are described in modern terms, Some phrases are translated ...more
Dewayne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Officially my 3rd time reading the entire bible in a year. My 2nd time reading the NLT version which I relate to the easiest with minor checking older translations. I technically did the plan using the YouVersion bible plan. Smartphones has made this a lot easier.

On to my review. The bible is one of the best books to read. Its filled with drama, action, and most importantly it is a love book. Its massive in size which is why a one a day in a year plan is a great approach. Its amazing what you c
Alexis
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
4: Finally read the bible cover to cover. It was fascinating and incredibly boring at the same time. Boring because it is incredibly repetitive (God makes an insanely long and complex list of rules for his chosen people, chosen people break the rules and get killed/enslaved, chosen people apologize and start following the rules again, god kills the enemy of the chosen people). It is fascinating because this is a book that has had an immense impact on human history, yet it is disjointed, boring, ...more
Edward
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book in the Kindle version. This worked perfectly for me as I was able to finish reading through the entire Bible, in Chronological order, in a year. The NLT is a good compromise between being easy to read, but still accurate. Reading the Bible in chronological order was very helpful at times, for example when David sinned, the reader then can immediately read his Psalm about his repentance.
Sheri Thomas
Jan 01, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I am attempting to read the Bible through in one year. Hoping that this way will allow me to be more successful than in past years where I just started in Genesis and went straight forward, winding down in Numbers and quitting.
Johnny Mcclean
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading it on my iBooks for my quiet time and family readings. Refreshing for my soul, food for thought fresh every day.
Karen Benne
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Best way to read the bible. Fantastic way to spend time with God on a daily basis.
Adrienna
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started on January 1st (online version) and will end hopefully December 31st.

Two years ago, I read the book format via NIV version. I enjoyed NLT better this year.
Emily
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I made a New Year's Resolution at the start of this year to read the Bible for myself because I was tired of people saying, "Well the Bible says..." as a defense to do something terrible. I'm very glad I did this.
Sue
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s no surprise that this was my favorite book of 2018. Almost every day included a passage that reminded me a favorite hymn and/or portion of the liturgy. It also kept me grounded as I walked beside two loved ones facing life-altering crises this past year. I will definitely be reading the one year chronological Bible in 2019.
Are there problems 1 3 Aug 24, 2018 11:28PM
Christian Readers: Free Bible In Most Languages 3 12 Dec 20, 2017 07:08AM
Christian Readers: Is Jesus sufficient? Is God's Word enough to prove that? 20 37 Aug 09, 2016 05:16AM
Understanding the Holy Bible 1 3 Jul 08, 2015 11:34AM
Christian Readers: Who are you in the Kingdom of God? 44 106 Oct 20, 2013 08:39AM

• Breaking Free: The Journey, The Stories, Member Book
  • Pure: A 90-Day Devotional for the Mind, the Body & the Spirit
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Every Man, God's Man
  • Water from a Deep Well: Christian Spirituality from Early Martyrs to Modern Missionaries
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Ministry in the Image of God: The Trinitarian Shape of Christian Service
  • God's Missionary
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
“Romans 14 The Danger of Criticism 1 Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don’t argue with them about what they think is right or wrong. 2 For instance, one person believes it’s all right to eat anything. But another believer with a sensitive conscience will eat only vegetables. 3 Those who feel free to eat anything must not look down on those who don’t. And those who don’t eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to condemn someone else’s servants? Their own master will judge whether they stand or fall. And with the Lord’s help, they will stand and receive his approval. 5 In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable. 6 Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. 8 If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 Christ died and rose again for this very purpose—to be Lord both of the living and of the dead. 10 So why do you condemn another believer[*]? Why do you look down on another believer? Remember, we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For the Scriptures say,    “‘As surely as I live,’ says the LORD,    ‘every knee will bend to me,        and every tongue will declare allegiance to God.[*]’” 12 Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. 13 So let’s stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall. 14 I know and am convinced on the authority of the Lord Jesus that no food, in and of itself, is wrong to eat. But if someone believes it is wrong, then for that person it is wrong. 15 And if another believer is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don’t let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died. 16 Then you will not be criticized for doing something you believe is good. 17 For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. 19 So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up. 20 Don’t tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else if it might cause another believer to stumble.[*] 22 You may believe there’s nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God. Blessed are those who don’t feel guilty for doing something they have decided is right. 23 But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.[*]” 1 likes
“If God is for us, who can ever be against us? 32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?” 1 likes