Start by marking “Teach Me” as Want to Read:
Teach Me

Teach Me

Teach Me invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone—an affair between a teacher and student—and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?
Published March 22nd 2007 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Teach Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Me

Start your review of Teach Me
Tatiana
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
Wow! What an intense story. Certainly one of the most memorable YA novels I've read lately. And kudos to R.A. Nelson for channeling a high-school girl so well. Have I not checked out the author's website, I would have never guessed the book was written by a man.

"Teach Me" is a story of a love affair between a high school senior Carolina (Nine) and her poetry teacher Mr. Mann. Carolina is an excellent students who plans to study astronomy in college. She adds poetry to her science-heavy schedule
Wendy Darling
What happens when a teacher ends a love affair with his student? She goes batshit crazy. But not in a way that's at all interesting or entertaining or even particularly sympathetic.
Susan
Jul 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people interested in student-teacher relationships
Danielle Harlow
Apr 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Maybe I am just too old-- but I really didn't like this book at all. I force myself to read all the way to the end of any book I start, because I feel like you really never know.. but at the end of this book-- I just wished I had a time machine to go back before I bought it. I think that, yes, obviously when you write a book, it is going to reflect your personally somewhat, but while I was reading this book- I couldn't help but feeling like the author wanted to include ALL her interests- to an e ...more
Melissa
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ida Smith
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for anyone who has experienced an overpowering, out-of-the-universe crush on a High School teacher. Unless you have an abnormally profound passion for Astronomy, the intensity of a teenage girl’s emotional spectrum or simply like the idea of Emily Dickinson on Seville Marmalade, I would probably not recommend you to read this book and rather run screaming to Mongolia. Fortunately, I think most of us can relate to that High School moment when Mr. X came sweeping through t ...more
Rhiannon Hart
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Carolina "Nine" Livingstone, an apt name for the daughter of a physicist, takes a poetry unit for her last semester of high school thinking it will give her a broader scope on life. It does that all right. For while Nine has plenty of smarts, she's not so accomplished when it comes to relationships. Nine falls for the new poetry teacher hard and fast, and it isn't long until Mr Mann begins to respond to Nine's hankering to be taught.

What surprised me when I picked this book up from the library s
Priscilla Thomas
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Novels about teacher/student affairs always both repulse & intrigue me, especially YA novels. The first one I read was Gone by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson, about a post-graduation summer fling between a male senior and his pretty, young, former teacher. The story was crushingly sad & overtly sexual, & it had an overall half-baked feeling to it, unable to compensate for such a disturbing & depressing story with stellar writing.
Teach Me reverses the genders & sets the story during the school year, w
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
See, I enjoyed this and felt it was well written but the resolution at the end was just way to abrupt.
Evan
Every once in awhile I allow myself the luxury of writing a short review. This is one of those times.

R.A. Nelson's Teach Me starts out smarter than the YA-level that it seems hellbent on lowering itself to. Nelson does an excellent job at the outset capturing the mindset of a nerdy, gawky high school girl who has fallen in love with her English teacher. The book seems credible up to and slightly beyond the point where the affair is consummated but then becomes annoying in the second half as Caro
Heather Gray
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow. What can I say. We've all had our crushes on teachers, but it was interesting to see it be reciprocated. Though every part of me was saying, "This is weird," or "this is so wrong," I could not help but want everything to work out ok for Mr. Mann and Nine.
It was hard to get a grasp of what Nine looked like and I was frustrated because I couldn't mentally connect to someone like her, but then I realized that we're in her head. We aren't supposed to know what she looks like. Given, sometimes
Becky
Okay. I’m going to give credit where it’s due: it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Colour me surprised!

Review to come. I have a lot of thoughts.
Stephanie
My Summary: Carolina ("Nine") is the type of girl you love to hate: practically a genius, she doesn't even try when it comes to grades and doing well in school. Always a bit of a loner, Nine finds herself drawn to the mysterious, unconventional English teacher(Mr. Mann), who gets her to challenge her own opinion of poetry and history.

Nine thinks this little crush is one-sided until the day she finds herself in the passenger seat of his car while he confesses his feelings for her. Soon the two a
Sherrybaby
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i picked this book up again! &+ was seriously mad at myself for taking so long to read it. This book has the perfect amount of love, lost, breakdown, survival, and friendship.

Poor nine falls head over heels for a new male teacher.
teacher, starts flirting with nine, until there in a deep passionate
love affair. But when nine turns eighteen things take an awful turn,
mr. man doesnt want to be in a relationship with her anymore!
even worse he thinks they shouldnt even be friends! just steer clear of
Diana
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
many readers have been saying that they didn't like this book because Nine wasn't someone they could be empathetic toward.

As a nerdy anti-social loser, I felt the exact opposite.

That doesn't mean that I think it's ok to date a teacher as a minor, although they kept it secret till she was nineteen so technically, she didn't screw it up anyway. But her obsession was relatable to me. (Although my obsessions so far have been for fictional characters)

But part-way through the book, her insanity got t
Cody Connolly
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh goodness, I'm so glad I can finally put this book down and not pick it up again. The idea of the book is so intriguing, it has all the elements to be great. But like a LifeTime Movie, it just doesn't deliver at all.

(view spoiler)
Kelly
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found here on my blog, PaperFantasies

Usually I get a really good idea of a book by goodreads’ rating system. Usually a book rated in the lower half of three-point-whatever is a book I’m not going to like. Usually I’m the reviewer warning readers away from a much-loved book, not the other way around.

Teach Me is one exception to that rule. With a current rating of 3.41 and many of the top reviews one or two stars, I feel like this book is extremely underappreciated. Now
Megan
The Goodreads synopsis claims that Teach Me "...invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone, an affair between a teacher and student, and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?" However, I didn't find that to be the case. R.A. Nelson showed us a highlight reel of Nine's affair with Mr. Mann. We read of their first meeting in class & outside of class. We see Mr. Mann interact with Nine once at her afterschool job, once during a charity event ...more
Janet
The synopsis? A smart, pretty, very tall loner senior joins a poetry class to kill time. The result is one teacher she can't ignore; he is everything she sees in a man and their love affair is a tension-building, romantic fantasy come true. "Giving every notion of right and wrong" their affair takes a tumble after Mr. Mann leaves her and marries. The result? A compulsive obsession with extreme focus.
The protagonist is Carolina "NINE" Livingston. A young woman who is super focused and practices o
Hweeps
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested to read about Teacher/Student R/s;coming-of-age novels;hurt and recovery
Shelves: ya, reread-someday
I have been wanting to read Teach Me for a very long time now because of the premise. But because there was this whole slew of other similar-premise books, Teach Me didn't exactly stand out in any way to me. But when I saw it at the library today -finally- (I was at a different library than the one I usually go to), I felt a compulsion to borrow it despite the pile of work I have to get down to doing...someday.

Teach Me was unlike anything I'd expected. This was no cheap, trashy romance (not tha
Arminzerella
Kimberly

Uncomfortable topic? Yes. Well written? Yes.

Carolina "Nine" begins a parent's nightmare of having an affair with her
teacher, the complicated, tortured and sensitive Mr. Mann. As the
romance intensifies, and then abruptly ends, Nine must deal with the
consequences and face who they were to each other; great loves or
mr./mrs. right now. As with most teenage breakups, this one is full of
drama, loathing, conflicted feelings and anger. But unlike most, because
of the taboo situation, it adds another laye
Krissy P (Kris)
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lynleigh
Does the teacher also fall in love with the student?
Mr. Mann does indeed fall for Carolina. You can see as their relationship grows he seems more and more intrigued by her.

Does Carolina believe her and Mr. Mann are meant to be? Yes she believes they are meant to be because of her reactions throughout the relationship. She is always beseeching him to just be with her and forget life in general besides them together.

Who truly loves and cares for Carolina as more than a friend? Her best friend Schu
Kaisa
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I rate this 3,5/5... just so you know.

I'm shocked that I'm not giving it a higher rating. I really am!! Especially the part of me that read the first half of the book (well... that sentence doesn't make sense), because that part of me LOVED it to death!!... But yeah, then the second part of the book came along and I started getting frustrated.
Not at the writing.
NEVER at the writing.
Oh, R.A. Nelson, you write like I write in my dreams. Witty, clever, interesting... always interesting.
But your ma
Steph Su
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Love, obsession, and revenge all come together in this dizzying and sensuous tale. In her senior year of high school, Carolina “Nine” Livingston falls hard for her new English teacher, the beautiful, poetry-loving Mr. Mann, who quotes Emily Dickinson all the time. Mr. Mann makes Nine feel things she didn’t even know she could feel, and she believes that the two of them will one day live together, marry, and go on their dream honeymoon.

Then a sudden announcement from Mr. Mann changes everything.
Mee
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mee by: Imogen Isles
Thanks for the rec, Brit <3

description

Nine is such an intense character to get into. Her thoughts are definitely more mature and I think that's why when everything spiralled and when she unravelled, it made for a really addictive read.

The first half of the book was definitely the lighter part. We could see the relationship developing and I really felt like it was real. Nine's head was such a . . . it seemed lonely and Richard just brought colour into it seems. And then everything started breaking apart i
Sara
Jul 14, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
What I told my friend: The narrator is one of those insufferable So Super Smart teenagers that turns every conversation into a dick-measuring contest of obscure referencing. I'm so over this encyclopedic wank-off John Green bullshit.
mindy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Morgan Pruitt
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I reviewed this book on my blog: https://ilovebooks901.wordpress.com/2...

Check it out!

Here's my official review though:

Teach Me by R.A. Nelson is marketed as a Young Adult novel. I picked up this book in Knoxville at a used bookstore called McKay. When I read the description on the back, I felt jitters run up and down my spine – relationships between teachers and students have always fascinated me. I knew I had to have it as soon as I read the summary. However, to say I was disappointed would b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Living Dead Girl
  • The Best Lies
  • 16 Ways to Break A Heart
  • Consent
  • Tampa
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Lies You Never Told Me
  • Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)
  • Death or Glory #2
  • Death or Glory #1
  • Feuchtgebiete
  • Deadly Class, Volume 9: Bone Machine
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • All the Things We Never Knew: Chasing the Chaos of Mental Illness
  • Eine unbeliebte Frau (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #1)
  • The History of Jane Doe
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross
  • Orpheus Girl
R.A. Nelson's work was selected as a finalist for National Public Radio's list of the "Best Young Adult Fiction Ever Written." He was chosen a Horn Book Newcomer and his books have been nominated to the YALSA Best Books for Young Adults list and recognized by the Parents' Choice Awards, the New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list, Booksense Kid Picks, the Miami Herald Best Books of the ...more