Start by marking “The Adventures of Robin Hood” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Adventures of Robin Hood

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,543 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The classic story of the man who robbed from the rich to give to the poor comes alive with vibrant illustrations from celebrated artist Greg Hildebrandt. Escape to Sherwood Forest and join the jolly Fellowship of the Greenwood with these rollicking tales of the celebrated archer and gentleman thief. Lively episodes introduce each of the famous merry men and other colorful ...more
Published January 3rd 2005 by Running Press (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Robin Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Robin Hood

Valerie
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I plan on reading more retellings of Robin Hood so I figured why not read the original? Or at least one of the more original ones. This is why I read it, and also it is a free e-book. I hope the retellings are better. Not that this was bad. It just felt like a lot of short stories about the same person. And short stories are never my favorite. The stories were interesting but too simplistic for me.

Some of the chapters felt kind of repetitive even though they are all different and set up in a seq
Huda Aweys
هاااااااااااا
و مين فينا ماحلمش في يوم يكون روبن هود
:))))
Angela Blount
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A delightful short-story collection recounting the origins and legendary escapades of England's most famous outlaw.

Aside from the anthropomorphic Disney version, and the occasional satire, this reader's Robin Hood experience was pretty limited. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this read turned out to be. Robin Hood himself is a wry, puckish character with a consistent moral code and a boyish sort of enthusiasm for freedom. With unparalleled charisma an a knack for improvisation under
Tori
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, classics
The reason I found this book interesting is because for all the Robin Hood based stories I've seen, I don't think I've actually read the original base stories such as these. Also, it was cool to read something and think, "Hey! I saw something like that in Hood by Lawhead. Or, "Look, that's something used in Ivanho!"
Carina
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did like this retelling of the classic tale of Robin Hood. It was just how I would have pictured it, and I even learned something about the plot that I hadn't known before. I recommend this for anyone who wants a light read, as this is a nice quick to read book.
R. G. Nairam
I need to re-read for a story review, but the illustrations are amazing.
Aaron
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming adventures that alternate between Robin being petulant to just the person he was looking for, Robin trading clothing with some dude in order to trick his enemies, Robin winning an archery contest, or some combination of the three.
P.S. Winn
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story as readers head to Sherwood forest and follow Robin Hood and his gang of thieves, who by the way, rob from the rich to give to the poor. This is an adventure that also shows what great friendships can do when set against extreme adversaries.
Bailey
I really enjoyed this book. It was a very classical episodic-style telling of Robin Hood. Chapters begin with a short poem telling the reader what will happen in the chapter and goes on to illustrate passionate, violent (although not explicitly so) adventures. As a teacher, I feel like I could use snippets of this book in order to tell the story, highlight literary devices, etc. I wouldn't use the whole thing as a read-aloud, etc. I wouldn't have a problem with keeping it in my classroom library ...more
Bethany
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Unlike many Robin Hood books aimed at children, McSpadden's telling does not focus on a single episode from the legends, instead devoting about a full-text page to each tale. Interestingly, because this book is adapted from a novel a great deal more detail about the beginning and end of Robin's life is included in the telling. The reader is actually given a good idea when the stories are set and it is explained why Robin lives as an outlaw, which is a rarity in adaptations aimed at children.

Thou
Jasmine
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is basically a superhero comic book from before Marvel and DC were a thing and I’m super into it.

I remember almost nothing of the Robin Hood mythos other than the whole “stole from the rich, gave to the poor, had the hots for Maid Marian” thing, so it was really fun to hear some of the stories and be reintroduced to the characters. I get how it could seem repetitive, but – well, with every new chapter, I’d have a new favourite character.

This book was a delight – just a romp and a half, an
04mattl
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The version of The Adventures of Robin Hood that I read and am writing this review for was written by Howard Pyle and is a Landoll Classic, that version is not on Goodreads. The adventures of Robin Hood is a good book about a man who takes from the rich and gives to the poor. This story is a good one for people of all ages that want to hear the legend of Robin Hood. The main problem or issue the book addresses is how Robin of Locksley, becomes Robin of the Hood or otherwise known as Robin Hood. ...more
Noah
Do you think its possible for their to be a mean policemen and a good thief. Whether you do or do not believe this I still suggest you take a look at the book Robin Hood and his Merry Outlaws, because it will either strengthen your belief in good outlaws and bad policemen or it will completely change your perspective if you don’t believe there is such a thing. Robin Hood and his Merry Outlaws follows the story of a young man named Robin of Locksley who was the son of the head forester and had as ...more
Jaimie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been a fan of the Robin Hood legends, and I’ve read plenty of the modern adaptations of the stories, but somehow I’ve missed reading anything even close to the traditional myths until now. The legends originated as part of the oral storytelling traditions in England, so obviously there are no “definitive editions” that collect all the legends, but this book seems to tread relatively close to what could be considered authentic. McSpadden draws heavily on Howard Pyle’s compendium for a ...more
Liesl Swardt
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
Was ok. Not great
Melissa
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister absolutely loves Robin Hood, and has since she was young. I grew up playing with staffs and swords in our back yard, pretending to be Robin and Little John. So it's a little embarrassing to admit that I've never read any Robin Hood tellings before. But I have seen the 1991 movie version, and the Disney version! And, perhaps not surprisingly?, they matched quite close. I liked that this had a few chapters of background (I hadn't known that Robin and Marian were childhood friends, and th ...more
Inge (Inge1990)
Everybody knows the story of Robin Hood from Disney. I decided to read one of the more original stories of Robin Hood. This book contains 24 stories (or chapters, but they are all little stories).

Sometimes this book is quite repetitive which is a shame. It should be possible to write 24 short stories about Robin Hood without repeating yourself.

In addition, and I’m sorry to have to admit this.. I always found Robin Hood a great guy, stealing for the poor, loving his Mirjam. Well he still loves
Karina1
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many books that can tell the mythical story of Robin Hood, but not as lively as J. Walker did. The book starts on how he came to be known as the outlaw, to the day that he died. Every chapter contains a new adventure that would lead to another. But I enjoyed reading the stories on how he met the members of his group, and the mischiefs he would to the Sheriff of Nottingham.

I really liked how this book also taught me the way they spoke during the time, which really lets you live in that
Laura Verret
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodwill-finds
I’ve reviewed another picture book-ish version of Robin Hood here – The Adventures of Robin Hood – and now I review this book, Robin Hood. Based on J. Walter McSpadden’s version of Robin Hood’s exploits, this book begins the story of Robin Hood with his earlier and more peaceful existence as the son of Head Forester, Hugh Fitzooth, and works its way through the Sheriff’s treacherous treatment of his father and Robin’s eventual outlawing. Then come the more familiar tales of the golden arrow, Wil ...more
Katie Boisen
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-614
'Robin Hood' is a classic tale of Robert of Lockesley and his heroic adventures in and out of Sherwood Forest. Every chapter includes a new and daring adventure where Robert, who is nicknamed Robin of the Hood, Robin Hood, has found himself in some situation where he is either fooling the Sheriff or Bishop of Nottingham out of riches to give to the poor or meeting someone whom he frolics (fights) with and most of the time, wins! Twists and turns will engage the reader through this humorous yet h ...more
Hosanna
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Robin Hood is a classic that is both an entertaining and exciting read! I enjoyed getting to know the Merry Men and their leader Robin Hood through this book. Every chapter is a new adventure that they embark upon in the wondrous woods of Sherwood Forest. I didn't necessarily agree with how the characters acted in this book, robbing from the rich, but it was a fantastic story.
There were several words that today are considered as inappropriate language, but back then they weren't spoken with the
Kirsten
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love a good Robin Hood narrative, with the deep friendships in the Greenwood bringing hilarity and compassion by turn, the building of a fellowship based on the longing to protect the weak in the face of tyranny, the return of the king who brings true justice at last. Even the hard ending which wraps an uneasy tension over the whole story--I even love that part of the Robin Hood narrative. As McSpadden wrote this at the close of the 19th century it stands in the camp of the older Hood literatu ...more
Andreia Nuno
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
That is there not to love about the original stories of the most famous English outlaw?

The book starts with the story of a young Robert (later Robin of the Hood) and his father Hugh Fitzooth, going through the betrayal against his father and all the adventures against corruption and of course the famous villain, the Sheriff of Nottingham. As the reader advances in the book, familiar tales and beloved characters appear, like Lady Marian and Little John. The descriptions of the surroundings and th
Книжни Криле
Преди време отразихме страхотното издание на „Алиса в Страната на чудесата” от ик „Бард”, с илюстрациите на негово величество Грег Хилдебранд. Приказната поредица обаче съдържа още едно заглавие, в което се е разписал маестрото. Това е легендата за Робин Худ, преразказана от Дж. Уокър Макспадън. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Janelle
Another unfinished book. It's basically a collection of short stories centred on a similar plot - Robin (or one of his merry men) encounter someone, fight, and then invite him to join their band. There's lots of quothing, and thous as though the 19th century author was attempting to evoke the language of the 12th century. It did put me to sleep a number of times, but I just couldn't stand it anymore.
I also found the Librivox reader was very stilted. A lot of other listeners seem to like him, bu
Linda
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is meant for school-age kids, and its simplicity and fun are geared perfectly for that. What I particularly enjoyed about this book was that when they used an archaic word or word that youngsters might not understand, they would call it out and define it. I learned some things!

It's a simple introduction to Robin Hood, and having never read the "true" story of the famous outlaw, I could go to my grave feeling satisfied in my want to know more.
Cleolinda
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I bought it primarily for the Hildebrandt illustrations--glossy and sunlit--but discovered a really lovely, comprehensive retelling of the Robin Hood legend(s). If you've heard it, it's in here--the duel with Little John, holding the Sheriff captive for dinner in the woods, saving friends from the gallows. It's also really fun to read if you're up on your Plantagenet family history (recommended: Alison Weir's Eleanor of Aquitaine).
Alexandra Sinkus
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-40-file
Genre: Traditional Literature
Awards: None
Grade: 5-6

I have always loved the tale of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men. I would include this in my classroom for the older students because it is a bit more to read and understand. I would read a chapter a day to the students. The classic tale is a nice one to come back to and would be great to share with the students whom I'm sure have heard of it or have even read a version. I would have activities with each chapter and end with a cumulative test.
Mike Meathook
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
this is the first time I read the original. very torn. there's not really much of a flowing narrative, just a lot of things that just happen. and I really wish I didn't know that last chapter. on the other hand, Robin is shown in this one not like some kind of invincible hero, but someone who is skilled at a lot of things, but doesn't mind losing (and frequently does), and takes it as a learning experience.
Concetta Phillipps
I found the original story of Robin Hood charming and entertaining. I think a lot of people want Robin Hood to be the Disney-fied version of the story, and its not, not really. Robin Hood isn't especially noble and sometimes does things Disney Robin wouldn't agree with.

But for a fascinating tale of epic adventure, I think this fits the bill.
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Robin Hood
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Robin Hood
  • Legends of Valor (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Dwarfs (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Lady of the Forest
  • The Secret Arts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • The Classic Fairy Tales