Start by marking “Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders” as Want to Read:
Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders

Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  14 reviews
America urgently needs a new direction. But who will provide it?

The time has come to move the country forward with a clear agenda based on common sense for the common good.

THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

Make no mistake: Congressmen Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, and Kevin McCarthy are proud Republicans. But they believe the party had lost sight of the ideals
Published September 14th 2010 by Threshold Editions

To ask other readers questions about Young Guns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Guns

Gunnar
Oct 28, 2011 Gunnar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I'm an independent voter seeking alternatives to the two political party machines. What Cantor, Ryan, and McCarthy have to say isn't complicated: they know the GOP lost their way since the mid-1990s, they explain how it happened, and they outline their plan to get the party, and the nation, back on track. I was already familiar with Cantor and Ryan; I follow them on Facebook, have read interviews from both, and generally approve their Young Guns splinter within the GOP. Cantor is the Young Guns' ...more
Jeff Stockett
With the nomination of Paul Ryan as the VP candidate for the Republican Party, I decided I should set out to find out more about him. This book has 3 authors and, of the three, Paul Ryan's section was the shortest. However, it did give me a glimpse into his thought processes and the way that he sees the world.

I was hoping this book would be a little bit heavier on policies, and while it did discuss some of the policies and proposed solutions of these 3 individuals, it was primarily the story of
Malin Friess

This book was clearly read about two weeks late. When the GOP gets fewer presidential votes than 2008 (McCain)they are working off of an old playbook. The demographics have shifted with an increasing portion of female and Hispanic Votes. Arizona, Georgia and maybe even Texas will be swing states in 2016. Colorado & NM may not be considered swing states at all. Karl Rove, Romney, Fox News misread the electorate and likely voter turnout.

Congressman Paul Ryan (VP candidate Wisconsin, catholic)
William Parsons
Young Guns does a number of things well. It lays out today's Republican values, which I would label as the new Conservative values. It articulates the strategy for the 2010 election, which in retrospect proved effective. Finally, and as difficult as it is to admit, the authors examine the failures of the Republican Party under the leadership of Bush.

The philosophy that Cantor, Ryan and McCarthy espouse i.e. small and limited government maximizing individual freedom is an ideology I embrace so I
Bozena
Good book. I read this book as I am very concerned about the economic woes facing this country today. I think we need to stick to our capitalist roots and I am a strong critic of the socialist agenda that President Obama is proposing. What drew me to this book is that I like Paul Ryan and his views on strengthening the economy and reducing the budget. Ryan quoted economist Milton Friedman, 'there 's no such thing as a free lunch." I think Obama 's supporters really need to take that into account ...more
Darren
It's not the policies that I found hard to stomach in this book but rather the hypocritical approach, the lack of specific policies and the glossing over of some very important events that shocked me.

Firstly, the opening chapter starts out rather bizarre. It claims to be a "conversation" between the three men over Diet Cokes and bottles of water. The conversation between Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy comes across as more of a talking point meeting where the three sit around and come
Adam
It's not that I don't agree or dislike the opinions. This book seems to be more for people who suddenly find themselves interested in politics and laws that are shoved down their throats. These guys go through the policy of the last few years as if the reader has been under a rock. Perhaps this is intentional and someone besides me is the intended audience.

These guys make a good point, it is made strongly and in an easy to read manner. No real specifics. The intent is more like "look where the
Joshua Norman
I was disappointed that the authors campaigned as principled conservatives when they were in the minority, but succumbed to Potomac Political Fever once they became part of the majority.
Naomi
This book really ticked me off. I am a fan of Paul Ryan and expected a whole lot more out of him rather than the same Republican talking points and finger pointing that are standard behavior out of both parties which has gotten this country into the mess it is in. I had real hopes that this book would be a game plan for what a new generation of conservative politicians were going to do. What was in the book, instead, was the same old finger pointing and same old Republican talking points! I real ...more
Elaine
This book is an honest look at where our country is and where we're heading if we don't find a way to stop Big Government. It uses FACTS not opinions to point out why the economy is in the shape it's in and it offers practical solutions on how to fix it. I wish every person in America would read it!!!
Gina
Oct 24, 2010 Gina added it
Loved it! I am so rooting for the Young Gun Conservatives. I appreciated the common sense solutions outlined here. Who says the Conservatives don't have a plan? This book is down to earth, insightful, enlightening, and encouraging.
Amy Fangboner
I read this for my boss and summarized it for him. Made me angry while I was reading it but I "took one for the team." Lots of lies. Lots of rhetoric. Blah Blah Blah...
Joey Tayler
A little light on specific policy (except for Ryan's chapters, as expected), but still a good primer and three very promising, principled conservatives.
Suzanne
A must-read for anyone looking for common sense solutions to our economy and our growing government.
Eric Poggemiller
Eric Poggemiller marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Mandar
Mandar marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Greta Hallberg
Greta Hallberg marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Brianne Friend
Brianne Friend marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Tallia
Tallia marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Michael Critelli
Michael Critelli marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
John DuMars
John DuMars is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders Young Guns Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders