Start by marking “Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)

Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,037 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Five hundred years into the future, the world is a different place. The Melt has sunk most of the coastal cities and Newperth is divided into the haves, the “Centrals”; the have-nots, the “Bankers”; and the fringe dwellers, the “Ferals”.

Published October 1st 2010 by Walker Books Australia

Nomes
I loved this.

There's a great vibe to this book - which doesn't sag in momentum - the plot kept moving forward making it an energetic and captivating read. The prose is just lovely, clean and fresh, I'm a fan.

I adore Rosie. Mostly, I love that she stuffs things up a fair bit. She does things she's not supposed to - she's not always thinking straight. I love teens (and people) who have the best of intentions but somehow still manage to screw up and fudge their way along. Ultimately, she's one toug
Zeynep
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3,5 stars*
Kitaba başlarken ne bekliyordum bilmiyorum ama pişman etmedi beni. Ne çok mükemmel ne çok sıradandi bana göre. Orta kısımlarda azıcık sıkılmam dışında puan kırmam için sebebim yok. Olayların durgunlastigi, azıcık baygınlık geçireceğiniz yerler olabilir ama kurgusu güzeldi ya. Ne bileyim sevdim yani.
Reynje
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve walked by this book without giving it so much as a second glance, so I’m a little late in making the discovery that this book is completely rad and excellent. (Yes, rad. I don’t give out that kind of praise easily! And shame on me for ignoring this book.)

Genesis was an ideal book to break out of my genre comfort zone, a smooth step into speculative / science fiction after a glut of contemporary and dystopian reads.

Lara Morgan’s depiction of “
Shirley Marr
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-ya
I'm not familiar with the speculative fiction genre, but if the aim is to provide a vision of what the world might look like in the future (500 years in this instance) then Lara Morgan has done a stunning job with the first 1/3 of this novel. She's taken into account environmental, social and political changes and I loved how it's set in "Newperth" as I live in Perth myself, and I really believed it. After the 1/3 mark the novel ups the pacing to become more of a fast-paced thriller. For lovers ...more
Amanda
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
★★★★☆ I loved it

Rosie Black is a Banker. When Rosie finds an unusual box, she has no idea of the grave consequences of her discovery. A mysterious organisation wants it – and will kill to get it.

Forced to rely on two strangers, Rosie is on the run. But who can sh
YA Reads Book Reviews
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christina
Life’s not easy in Rosie Black’s world.

The Melt has devastated the earth and sunken all the coastal cities and forced society into a crippling caste system of the haves, “The Centrals” and the have-nots, “The Bankers”. As a Banker, Rosie and her dad struggle to survive after the shattering loss of Rosie’s mother to the MalX disease.
The world as Rosie Black knows it is very different from the one we know today, and the contents of a seemingly harmless little box are about to turn that world upsid
Bec
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
I will be reviewing this book in full in the first 2011 edition of Viewpoint journal, however in the meantime, here is a teaser!

I met Lara when I moderated one of her panels at this years AussieCon4 and she spoke about creating the world the The Rosie Black Chronicles are set in. Knowing nothing really about the book at the time (it wasn't out yet) I was intrigued by the concept of the world that Lara had created. This is a futuristic land, clearly set post global warming. Water is a precious co
Kate Forsyth
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, sf
A gripping, suspenseful science fiction tale for young adults with a strong Australian feel, I’m betting this one will be a winner. Set in what feels like a future-day Perth (Lara grew up in Western Australia and now lives in Geraldton), with a sidetrip to Mars, Genesis is filled with lots of lovely neologisms like pyroflex and digibook which I can see entering the popular lexicon. I’m putting this on my son’s pile to read – I think he’d enjoy it too.
Gülay Cansever
Serinin ilk kitabı olarak çok hoşuma gitti. Acaba daha neler olacak merakla bekliyorum.
 Alli
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rosie Black starts her adventure almost by accident.
Its based 500yrs into the future after the 'Melt' where humans are apt at space travel and have even managed to form colonies on Mars and hotels in space.
Its not really explained what the Melt was but you can figure it has to do with global warming. Society on Earth is still classed according to wealth and Rosie who is from the poor part of town who has a friend, Juli, in the richer part of town like to go poking around the ruins in the outskir
Kauri Tree
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why I decided to read this book:
I decided to read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend and I thought it would be interesting to read as it ties into the topic we have been studying this term; social injustice. The cover also attracted my attention as it was black and white, contrasting the differences in society.

Category:
Despite the fact that I said that this book ties into the social injustice, I decided that his category fits in with 'a science fiction or fantasy book', becau
Scarlett
Being a huge fan of all things dystopian I absolutely adored Genesis. It is such a great read.
I loved Rosie and she is such a kick-butt chick. I could definitely read more books about her, which I look forward to doing so.
I loved Pip, he was a very cool guy and I just loved him too.
I think the idea that global warming has already happened in Genesis was a really interesting twist and just the entire idea about water being scarce seems kinda scary and completely new.
I think it was also nice to re
Patrick
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was a great book if there weren't so many try-hard YA comments that made the book awkward and laughably funny. Indirect Quote (I can't be bothered finding it) "I bet he (Pip) was putting on all that hand-holding stuff anyway" Now, who would say that at the age of 16? Also, if you're reading this book to read about a futuristic society, don't bother because you won't find anything past the blurb.
Ayşenur Nazlı
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerçekten çok sıkıcı başladı ve 10 yıldır kayıp olan kutuyu iki ergenin elleriyle koymuşlar gibi kolayca bulmaları sinirimi bozdu. Ama devamı oldukça güzeldi ve devamını merak ettirdi. Başlarda sıkılıp da yarım bırakmamanızı tavsiye ediyorum. Bu arada çevirisi de oldukça güzeldi, Sevinç abla özellikle ileri teknoloji için kullanılmış kelimeleri güzel uyarlamış.
Kirsty
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BEST..........BOOK..........EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need the next book so badly.
I thought it was the best written book about the future ever and that if I could possibly pick one of my favourite books to be given an award, it would be this one!
Edacheeky (Eda D)
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this book a few years ago and enjoyed it
L.E. Truscott
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Welcome to the city of Newperth, a futuristic version of present-day Perth in Australia. The oceans have risen, the gap between the haves (the Centrals) and the have-nots (the Bankers) has widened dramatically and the homeless (the Ferals) are pretty much as they are today, misunderstood and shunned. Rosie Black is a Banker but she goes to a Central school thanks to her aunt Essie’s charity and dreams of being a space pilot just like her aunt.

One day when she’s exploring the ruins of the Old Cit
Sangeetha T
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Barely a few pages in, and already a fat phobic joke. Also the main character is stupid and annoying. The boy with dreadlocks and flat nose, which seems to me a thinly veiled reference to indigenous people in Australia, was also annoying. The thin veiled reference makes this book slightly racist and like seriously, Aussie writers are just so bad. They’re just so many notches below what passes as okay writing in the rest of the world. Why does Australia have such low standards for everything?

Any
Amanda
3... Maybe 4. Lots of action, but I don't feel as though I got to know Rosie, needed a bit more character development. Also, totally surprised about the space element, I think that needed to be more of a selling point.
Sharon chan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very intriguing, i couldn't put it down
Prodigious...?
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Before reading this review please take into account that I finished reading this book a while ago (come on, it was ages ago) so this review probably isn't as fresh as it should be.

3 stars on Goodreads means 'I liked it'. I did like this book. I did. But for some reason I seem to be having this inability to write a review on it. I'm one of those people who can read your average 400ish page YA fiction book in under a day and still remember almost every single detail that I read about. Though for
Kimberley
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Admittedly, I'm a little bit of a masochist.

Genesis is, I believe, a science-fiction novel. And although I am the fussiest science-fiction audience on the planet, after having this book recommended to me by a friend, I decided to read it. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

It's set five hundred years in the future and from what I understand, the world has fallen back into a class society. You have (in 'value' order) the Centrals, the Bankers, and the Ferals. Rosie, the main character, i
Roisin
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I'm not sure I've ever read a book where I dislike the characters so much. I know this is awful but I have an automatic repulsion whenever it comes to dreadlocks. The look of them, the smell of them, the way they feel. Pair that with a dude with dreadlocks down to his waist (which is how I imagined Pip, I'm not 100 percent if that's accurate or not) and I just felt disgusted. And then he was flirting with everything and I just felt like vomiting.

But Pip's dreadlocks are
Larissa
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
'Five Hundred Years Into The Future' and the world has changed. Society is segmented into the 'Centrals', those living with all the conveniences money can buy, the 'Bankers', those living on the banks of the river and barely getting by, and the 'Ferals', those who live wild with nothing but there wits to sustain them. Though different in many ways they all have one thing in common, anyone of them is susceptible to the deadly MalX, get bitten from the wrong mosquito and there is no cure only deat ...more
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Space and Mars aren't usually my thing but when it comes to Genesis, it turns out that doesn't really matter. In fact, that setting, along with Earth is what made this book all the more thrilling. Set 500 years into the future, enough humans have settled down on Mars that children are already born on that planet. Pip is one of them, which makes him stand out among the Ferals on Earth, although not any less menacing to Rosie, a Banker.

Since I don't generally read books set in outer space, Genesis
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Genesis is quite an interesting book. It definitely wasn’t what I had expected in reading it but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.
I thought that Genesis would be a mystery with a dystopian/post-apocalyptic twist. I had thought that there would be a lot of world building and explanations for what had happened over the 500 years between now and then. You’re actually not given that much information on it. In reading the description I thought that quite a main part of the plot would be that water is s
Gigi S.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA Sci-fi/Action fans who want less romance
A refreshingly realistic book in a genre that is anything but realistic

I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into when I decided to read this book. I was expecting some sort of Hunger Games rip off or something similar to 1984. Instead I was surprised to find that this book, Genesis by Lara Morgan, is a hardcore sci-fi. And by hardcore I mean, jetting to mars, wearing space suits and using awesome technologies with strange names. I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a book as refre
Steph Bowe
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this one, but I did - there was space travel and conspiracy theory, which I'm always a fan of, and though it took a little while to warm up and for the real story to get going, once it did, the plot was well-paced and interesting. The plot is great - which I won't say much of, because it's good to read not knowing what will happen next - and despite serious subject matter it's a lot of fun. I think the novel's weaknesses mainly lie in character development - on occasion, ...more
Ngaire
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, aus, ya, scifi
I just re-read this for the first time since it came out to decide if I want to continue the series. I am from Perth and I love supporting local authors so I was pretty excited when I found this book in 2010. Unfortunately re-reading has not changed my original opinion of the book and I won't be continuing with the series. I loved the setting of Newperth, but the second half of the book loses some appeal for me. I thought the 'sci-fi elements weren't as strong, and many aspects of the world buil ...more
Ellen
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, young-adult
Genesis is a very nice opening novel for a series by Aussie Author Lara Morgan.

The first thing that struck me: the writing. I loved Morgan's descriptions! They painted an image right in my head and I never lost the image, either. It flowed well and the plot itself was not only original, terrifying (based off Global Warming slightly), but also rather brilliant. I felt Rosie's pain and her happiness. Though sometimes I didn't feel or understand her emotions; but hey, what can you do when ya disagr