Start by marking “Blood Hunt” as Want to Read:
Blood Hunt

Blood Hunt

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
It begins with a phone call. Gordon Reeve's brother has been found dead in his car in San Diego. The car was locked from the inside, a gun was in his hand. In the US to identify the body Gordon realises that his brother has been murdered. What's more, it's soon obvious that his own life is in danger.Once back in Scotland he finds out his home has been bugged by professiona ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Orion (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Hunt

Rob
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scottish-authors
Blood Hunt is an early work by Ian Rankin using the pen name Jack Harvey.
This book has some real potential but what let it down was the amount of extraneous information.
I have no idea what hoops Ian Rankin had to jump through to get this work published. For me what this book is screaming out for is a good editor. This from someone who's knowledge of writing and publishing could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
The book has an almost Jack Reacher feel about it.
Gordon Reeve ex SAS, six
LJ
BLOOD HUNT (Suspense-California-Cont) – Okay
Rankin, Ian - Standalone
LittleBrown, reprint 2006- Paperback
*** Former soldier Gordon Reeve flies to California to claim the body of his brother Jim, an apparent suicide. But it soon becomes obvious that the facts aren't fitting together and that Jim's death was murder.
*** In spite of three attempts, I just could not get into this book. I will admit I'm not a big fan of conspiracy themes but, that aside, I didn't find the character interesting or the
Judie
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a page turner but way too violent and amoral for my taste. I skimmed a lot of it just to get to the end of the plot. Also, world wide conspiracies involving chemicals and agriculture remind me of The Constant Gardener (but that was better done as conspiracies go). I found it hard to care about the amoral Nietzschean main character, Gordon Reeve. Back to Inspector Rebus and the Knox haunted landscape of Edinburgh for me.
Michael Martz
I thought I'd won the lottery when I discovered a previously unheard-of novel by one of my favorites, Ian Rankin, on the shelf at the local library. Alas, Blood Hunt wasn't recent output by Rankin, but was actually written under a pen-name back in 1995. That would normally not be a problem, but the writing and plot were both well below the level of quality I've seen in his more recent work.

The story line itself was OK at a high level. A Brit journalist with personal problems was working on an in
Benjamin
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Nietzsche's gentlemen. That's Gordon Reeve. Former SAS. Now running a "weekend warrior" school on one of the islands of Scotland. He gets a call that his brother, a journalist living in California, has committed suicide. He goes to California, and finds that things are not what they might seem. What follows is an excellent hunt for revenge and redemption. Not one of Rankin's John Rebus novels, but very good. It reminded me of David Morrell's First Blood, the basis for Rambo.
Mary Tonks
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of Rankin's earlier works, originally penned as Jack Harvey, this novel is full of suspense, violence, and revenge. Gordon Reeve does not believe his journalist brother has committed suicide, and sets out to prove this was murder. He also sets out to find and punish whoever is involved. As a former SAS operant, he's well-suited to the task.
Mike Blyth
I read this because I've enjoyed the Rebus books so much. This book is nothing like those and more like a pulp action/conspiracy/mystery novel. No character development, implausible plot, and a premise that "chemicals" are poisoning the world.
Michel Sizaire
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read
Amanda T
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. After 100 pages, I put it down. I just couldn't get into it.
Helen
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wonder did Lee Child read this before embarking on his Jack Reacher novels? Eminently readable but not of the fabulous standard of the Rebus novels.
Tom
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, novel
Ian Rankin, writing as Jack Harvey, has produced a great twisted plot mystery. Read it if you can!
Mickie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining read, but I felt let down toward the end. My first try with this author, so I'll read another (for my own second opinion).
Anirudh Parthasarathy
Blood Hunt – the last novel written by Ian Rankin under the pen name Jack Harvey. Any person who has already read Ian Rankin's first Inspector Rebus novel Knots & Crosses, would naturally be attracted to this piece of work, as it features Gordon Reeve – showing the other side of his life. But, it is not necessary for you to have read Knots & Crosses to understand this novel – this makes absolutely no reference to any Rebus novel and is very much a stand alone.

Ex-SAS personnel, Gordon Ree
Pris robichaud
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Anarchy versus Nietsche, 5 Jul 2006

"Reeve had been one of Nietzsche's gentlemen. Nietzsche had carried on the work of Descartes and others- men who needed to dominate, to control, to eliminate chance. But while Nietzsche wanted superman, controllers, he also wanted people to live dangerously. Reeve felt he was fulfilling these criteria if no other. H was living dangerously. He just wondered if he needed mutual aide along the way."

Gordon Reeve was a soldier in the Counter-Revolutionary War fa
Sundarraj Kaushik
Another one from Ian Rankin under a pseudonym. This time the theme is a personal enmity between two ex SAS personal.

The one Jay has disappeared after a reconnaissance mission in the Malvinas/Falklands islands. Gordon and Jay had been the only ones on this mission and there was lot of bad blood between the two.

Second Gordon Reeve has retired and is not training people the ropes of clandestine operations in the highlands of Scotland. His brother, a journalist, has shifted to America and keeps in t
J
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Nowhere does my library book copy show the name Jack Harvey, so I have no idea why Goodreads generates 2 author names when one searches for the "Blood Hunt" title.

That aside, this was an engrossing stand-alone title that has nothing to do w. grizzled Glasgow police detective John Rebus.

This novel revolves around a former SAS soldier Gordon Reeve, who was running his own for-profit survivalist-type training camp on South Uist, off Scotland, until the suspicious death of his jour
Mike
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly run-of-the-mill, ex-SAS, righter-of-wrongs story. It looked as if there might be an interesting anger management problem for our protagonist but nothing much was made of this angle – it was stated but barely developed.
Two aspects stood out for me: I didn't really believe in Gordon's SAS background; research had been done but his words and actions didn't ring true for some of the time. For example, referring to an LUP (lying up point) as 'a hiding place' didn't fit the Regiment'
Derek Reid
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it never rains in southern California. It never rains, but it pours.
Abhijeet Dutta
GOOD BUT NOT The BEST.
I enjoyed this novel. Grabbing story with a lot of twists and turns with random action acenes.

Gordon Reeve, an ex-SAS Officer knows something about killing. The death of his Journalist brother Jim in California has been ruled a suicide. Gordon can't shake the feeling that his brother was murdered and someone is responsible. Reasons : Why was the car Jim's body was found in locked from the outside? Who would want Jim dead? And now why do the local cops feel reluctant to co-o
Catsalive
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

I enjoyed this. While Gordon Reeve is ex-SAS, he's not quite so all-powerful & knowing as a lot of the protagonists in thrillers these days. He uses his skills & gets the job done, but he also has a wife & child to look after. He's on his own when it comes to finding out what happened to his brother, against the money & power of a global chemical company willing to protect itself at all costs. Eventually it becomes a fight for survival with
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First things first: BLOOD HUNT isn’t one of Ian Rankin’s award-winning Rebus series of novels, nor is it actually a new work, having been originally published under a pen name years ago. Unlike some authors’ cheap rehashes and repubs, however, BLOOD HUNT manages to hold its own, as long as you understand and appreciate its milieu: the globe-hopping thriller.

The BLOOD of the title refers not only to, well, actual blood, but also to family ties. Former SAS commando Gordon Reeve (who, as the book’s
Helen
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian Rankin, in Blood Hunt, introduces Gordon Reeve, a former SAS soldier. When Reeve’s journalist brother is found dead, Reeve doesn’t accept the ruling of suicide. Believing he was murdered, Reeve sets out on a quest to find out why his brother was killed and by whom.

Although Reeve is no longer a professional killer, he remembers his training and he’ll have to put his body to its limits to exact revenge while keeping his family safe. He sets out on his hunt for the killer, only to find himself
Barry Martin Vass
This is a great read. Ian Rankin has a talent for taking what is important in life, mixing it up to a certain degree, and then spewing it out in grand format. An English reporter supposedly kills himself in San Diego while freelancing a story involving giant agrichemical corporations and enabling governments. The only problem is that the reporter's brother is former SAS and paramilitary, and when he flies from Scotland to San Diego and comes across unusual circumstances, well, what's the express ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2000701.html[return][return][return]This standalone tale by Rankin is about a Scottish SAS veteran seeking revenge for his murdered brother (NB that brothers crop up a lot in Rankin's plots). The story is supposedly about the global chemicals industry's conspiracy to poison our food, which was even more topical back in 1995, but actually the real point is the central character's quest for vengeance across America, England, France and Scotland, and how it unexpectedl ...more
Ken
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not part of the John Rebus series.

Gordon Reeve Ex-SAS (Special Air Service- The world's first counter-terrorism unit) Runs school for security forces and body guards Rural Scotland

Jim Reeve Alcoholic brother Free Lance Journalist Killed on a story about the poisoning of the world's food resources by the use of pesticides.

Fake suicide in San Diego, CA

Jay Ex-comrade of Gordon when he was in Falkland War. Is an insane killer who is working for the cover-up

A great story about people who have been tr
Gary Van Cott
This is the third of three books Rankin published in 1993-95 originally under the name Jack Harvey. The first book (Witch Hunt) was the one I liked the best. Much of the second and third books are set in the US and Rankin did a good job for most part, despite having a Senator from California say in this book that he represents San Diego. Not something that would ever be said in that way.

One confusing thing at the end of the book is that the main character is on a small island then goes back out
Mary Crawford
I came across this audio book with Ian Rankin writing under the pseudo name Jack Harvey and quite liked it. A former soldier, now working as an outdoor pursuits instructor for management team training, Gordon is not convinced that his journalist brother has committed suicide in the USA while following his big break through story. The book travels back and forward between the States and Scotland and is credible enough. He joins up with some interesting characters, who while are criminal in their ...more
Cyn
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Katz
My high rating probably says more about me than the book. My first Rankin book outside the Rebus series and I have to confess: it was somewhat pedestrian and predictable and, no, I could not put it down. Rankin is such a master of his genre and has such a command of character, setting and pace, that even though you pretty much know exactly how the darned thing is going to flow, you still devour it, and it still satisfies. OK, so maybe I don't demand enough from my reading. Sue me!
Denise Flynn
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not read this type of book for a while so I enjoyed a change. OK, of you're after believable then this is unlikely to be your thing. Ex-special forces type sets about avenging the murder of his journalist brother by firstly tearing across the UK, US and Europe leaving a trail of destruction(and ultimately bodies) behind him....but sometimes it's just good to escape into a 'Die Hard'type of adventure.
  • Holding the Zero
  • The Pursued
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • Cabal (Aurelio Zen, #3)
  • Sleeping Cruelty
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan, #5)

A pseudonym used by Ian Rankin.
More about Jack Harvey

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
“You wouldn't think you could kill an ocean, would you? But we'll do it one day. That's how negligent we are.” 46 likes
“This man had something to hide, some shame in his past, and those with a past can always be bought.” 9 likes