Start by marking “Breaking News: An Autozombiography” as Want to Read:
Breaking News: An Autozombiography

Breaking News: An Autozombiography

"The end of the world is nigh. Someone stick the kettle on, I'm gasping."

When civilisation finally collapsed and the undead grew weak enough for the survivors to catch their breath, they were left with one question... what to do with dear old England?

On the south coast two zombie film fans are caught up in the summer madness of a real plague of the undead. They know how to
Published August 26th 2010 by Cissbury Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking News

Start your review of Breaking News: An Autozombiography
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
This was an unexpectedly good little zombie novel. No pretensions, no ridiculous action sequences that defy the laws of physics, and no superhuman leaders - just a group of ordinary English people trying to survive the apocalypse. There are truly gory zombie scenes, heart-breaking circumstances, detailed survival efforts and, through it all, the low-key, sarcastic, slightly whimsical sense of humour of a typical bunch of 30-something fanboys.

I have heard other reviewers say that they found the
Zoe Mitchell
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a warm and witty page turner – an adventure not for the faint of heart which transcends the zombie genre. Although the book does contain expected scenes of violence and gore – written with genuine relish and vivid imagery – the story and the characters are so well drawn that they remain with you long after the last page and leave you wanting more. If you enjoy the zombie genre, you’ll enjoy the knowing references to popular culture and the spectacular battle scenes. If you’re not normall ...more
Fiona
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic find! I LOVE a good zombie novel, and this was exactly my cup of (brick orange, two sugars) tea.

British zombies always win (in my head) over their American cousins, even simply due to the massive advantage that living in a country which still has castles would provide. The novel tends more towards the "how we carry on later" than the "oh god blood everywhere" apocalypse, which is greatly lacking in the genre.

Particularly our early characters are well-developed, though some do fade into
Emma Newman
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, solid writing, great voice, and I felt like I was very much the ideal audience of being a slightly geeky thirty-something; so many great pop culture references that made me laugh out loud. Very British, very funny and poignant in places, most heartily recommended.
Horror DNA
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: james-ferguson
Not a week goes by where I don't mention the zombie apocalypse.  I don't know if that makes me weird or prepared, but I'm sure that if I were to bring it up in the presence of N.J. Hallard, it would make for great conversation.  Hallard's first novel, Breaking News: An Autozombiography explores the specifics about how a group of friends survive when the dead begin rising.  When I say specifics, I mean it.  The author goes into tremendous detail regarding the whys and wherefores on how the charac ...more
Angel Hall
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True zombie struggles

I love this story! I feel as if this is more like what it might be like, if people fought back right away, instead of the normal story line and it's a terrific read!
Dlight
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main character is insufferable. He is a loser from the start and a terrible husband but thinks he is the best. He does not improve or change throughout. Lots of lists and explanations of setting up camp that did not further the story.
Tyler
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
There are seemingly billions of Zombie apocalypse novels out there, each with their own gimmick. This one's gimmick is that it's from the British perspective. Alright, nothing wrong with that. Let's give it a look.

First, this is a book that is trying to be a mash up of Shaun of the Dead and something like World War Z. Serious with humor. So hopefully you'll have witty British humor with some conflict and heart-felt moments. Still sound alright. Secondly, this is novel where the narrator claims i
Gertie
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: zombie-luvrs, post-apoc fans, indie fiction supporters
3.5 stars. Here's the thing. I think you might like this book if you are into zombie stories. I used to be into zombie fiction, but have grown tired of it - which I think is one significant reason I had trouble getting into this book. I had no major issues with the way it was written, or the story, but I just couldn't get into it. I would maybe go so far as to give it 3 stars, for my personal preference.

The zombie market is so oversaturated now that you practically need a gimmick to make it work
Jaime Horio
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
“Breaking News: An Autozombiography” by N.J. Hallard is the first book I bought for my Kindle, and I think I made a good choice.

The story follows a group of survivors during the zombie apocalypse as they try to rebuild. Things are different, lots of technology is lost, so their lives are lived in a simpler way. Well, except for the zombies coming for them!

One of my favorite aspects of this book is that the author has clearly thought out his survival techniques. He describes in detail how shelter
Drew
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies, nookbook
This book is very....english. Not sure if thats why I couldn't fully get engrosse but just didn't pull me in. It was pretty witty (and enjoyable in that sense) but was a bit lacking in the action department.

Also the nook version has a lot of "s" missing so for abut the first and last 50 pages his wife is a he and there are alot of times when "omebody" did something.
dave
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Well it was a pretty good book i suppose. Not the best written piece of literature out there but certainly entertaining. Lots of good references for us nerds, lol. I particularly enjoyed the alan partridge references. If youre lookin for a quick easy all most junk food type book then this is a good choice. Tasty and quick but no real substance or nutrition.
Nicholas
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great story, though most of the action was over at the halfway point. The story did bring up several interesting points about current culture by showing how the lack of individual social constructs would effect change in our culture. It is initially a thrilling zombie apocalypse horror story, then a story of how humankind will survive and collaborate to really live.
Kevin
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Decent page turner - liked the detail in it all, and funny throughout - lost interest a little towards the end though, if it had kept up the pace and the detail throughout, it would have gotten 4 stars from me.
Kelly
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apocalypse, zombie
This is one of the better zombie novel I've read in a while. It's smart with plenty of gore and zombie destroying action. It finds a good balance between zombie horror story and survival story. I'm really looking forward to then one.
Dwayne Shugert
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story! Full of the good, the bad and the ugly of humanity. But as all good zombie books hold out for us to remember...there is always hope. Hope for redemption, hope for love, hope for life. Well done...
Stephen
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: futures, sci-fi
An interesting and convincing exploration into the world of wild card scenarios from the perspective of a zombie crisis. See our review at:

Outi
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, koneella
Very british. The characters are drinking tea in the time of crisis and the curse words are delightfully british. It's fun to read a british version of zombie apocalypse and the ending was funny. Still, the story wasn't good enough to keep my interest for long and that's why only three stars.
Stuart
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to the sequel now. :)

I found it a bit unlikely that Mike made it back form Thailand when so many other people had so much trouble making it half a mile up a hill...
Sonia
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pa-dystopian
Ugh, was it a constant typo that everytime the protagonist referred to his wife Lou he referred to her as "he" and not "she"? Am I missing something...Very annoying.
Juanita Tejeda
Apr 22, 2017
Jeffrey R. Hammond
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Scorched Earth, Part 4 (Is This It? 4/4 of #2)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Sub Zero
  • The Peripheral
  • WWIV: In the Beginning
  • Icequake
  • Give a F**k: A Brief Inventory of Ways in Which You Can
  • End Zone (Deep State #3)
  • Children of the Dust
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • Summer Frost
  • Ark
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)

News & Interviews