Start by marking “Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2)

Dance for the Dead

(Jane Whitefield #2)

When eight-year-old Timothy Decker finds his parents brutally murdered, it's clear the Deckers weren't the intended victims: Timothy's own room--ransacked, all traces of his existence expertly obliterated *is the shocking evidence. Timothy's nanny, Mona, is certain about only one thing. Timmy needs to disappear, fast.

Only Jane Whitefield, a Native American "guide" who spe
Published March 2nd 1997 by Ivy Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dance for the Dead, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jim
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an unexpected surprise! I've listened to most of Perry's books & have put off the Jane Whitefield books. Every quibble I had with the first disappeared.

She's still a bit of a flat character for me, but that was OK. She's just a bit of a flat character. That's her thing. Her actions spoke plenty for her, especially at the end.

The plot was quite twisty, believable, & not one I've run across too often, especially not in this detail. Excellent cha
Lynn
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane is an intriguing character with a serious demeanor and different problems to solve than most protagonists. She's fresh and interesting, and of course kicks bad guy butt. Hooked on these.
Helen
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I am delighted to have discovered Jane Whitefield, a one-woman witness protection program. She helps people disappear, mainly women and children fleeing abusive men or criminals fleeing other criminals. Naturally, the books are very suspenseful since the bad guys are chasing Jane a lot of the time (sometimes she's tracking them). This is the second book in the so-far seven-book series, and I thought it was great---definitely better than the first. The ending was especially satisfying.

Even thoug
jo
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who believe in beating the system
Recommended to jo by: Mike
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i would like to thank mike for leading me to this series, which i like to distraction. i'd give this book five stars if i hadn't given five stars to Portrait of a Lady and such other masterpieces. if goodreads allowed six stars, this novel would get five stars, for sure.

there is a brief and, as such things go, mild torture scene towards the end that blew me away. perry describes the tortured person's psychological evolution and eventual descent into psychosis in such a sensitive, intelligent, a
Jeanne
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each Jane Whitefield story read makes me line this heroine even more! What a great story Thomas Perry put together with an ending that will bring a tear to your eye! Action, suspense and anticipation from beginning to end. 7 out of 10.
Eric_W
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the second in the Jane Whitfield series. Following a successful child protection, Jane is enlisted by someone she met briefly in jail who is being pursued by several men. It turns out that “Mary Perkins” was involved in several schemes to make money off the deregulation of the S&L’s (I happen to like the details of historical financial corruption, but it may bore the crap out of most people.)

Mary is reluctant to follow Jane’s directions. Hiding involves changing one’s personality as
James Adams
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a significant improvement over the first in this series, Vanishing Act. The action starts on the first page, and the whole thing is smart, fast, and tasty. Jane gets to be a badass from the get-go, and the villains here are better as well.
Like the first, there is a romantic subplot here, but here it humanizes Jane as opposed to weakening her. This is also where most of the humor comes in, and it works. It's a small part of the book, but works well as contrast.
The main villain this time
Randee Baty
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My library is doing a discussion series on "Native American Mysteries" so that's how I was introduced to this book and this author. Thank you, Parsons Public Library! It was a very interesting read that will have me looking for the rest of the series.

Jane Whitefield, a member of the Seneca tribe, helps people disappear. Or in the case of the boy she was helping, she needed to make someone reappear at just the right time. Unfortunately, while getting him into the courtroom to prove he wasn't dead
Jerry B
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
When we read our first Thomas Perry, and first Jane Whitefield novel “Vanishing Act”, we were impressed by both the author’s story telling craft as well as the unique character and “occupation” of the leading lady. So we had high expectations for “Dance”, the second book in the Whitefield series.

As before, most of the tale involves Jane’s work as a private, one-Seneca-woman witness protection agency. When a young lad she’s been protecting is delivered to a courthouse to testify, and two people a
Tony
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Perry, Thomas. DANCE FOR THE DEAD. (1996). **. The title obviously refers to what needs to happen for those readers who finally made it through the book. To call the book trivial would be to give it more credit than it deserves. This is apparently the second novel in a series featuring Jane Whitefield, a native American heroine, whose role in life is saving people threatened by bad guys (or gals) by hiding them out somewhere. She has no visible means of support, but, then, with her amazing power ...more
Lee
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-whitefield
I read Vanishing Act a few years back, and really enjoyed the first in this series. Jane Whitefield is a unique character, in that if you need to not be found, she will make you disappear. In her second adventure, the suspense & chase scenes are in full throttle. With her "extra" ID's, and some very clever ingenuity for setting a trap or to not get trapped. Jane might change more planes in one day, than a commercial pilot in a month. I really like her.
Elly Wendy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3* Enjoyed this one too, just not quite as much as “Vanishing Act” and “The Butcher’s Boy.” Next time I listen, I may raise the rating but for this time, there was so much action, so many twists, that I found myself getting a bit disoriented. And it didn’t seem quite as solid. Still, an excellent audiobook and I continued to enjoy the Native American material.
Good one.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This one got a little old and formulaic.
John Culuris
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
LJ
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DANCE FOR THE DEAD (Suspense-U.S.-Cont) - VG
Thomas Perry (2nd in series)
Ivy Books, 1996-Paperback
Jane Whitefield, an expert at helping people disappear, is actually helping a small boy reappear in time to save him from being declared legally dead and his inheritance being taken over by the trustees. However, it seems someone would rather he disappear forever. A woman asks Jane to help her disappear from those pursuing her. Although the cases are unrelated, the bad guys are the same.
*** I love bo
Ellen
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jane Whitefield is better than a super hero. She rescues the victims from the bad guys by using her brains, body, and her senses. Well, maybe she has a bit of a sixth sense thing going--she's half Seneca and has prophetic dreams--but she also works, works, works at her job as a guide. Only her job doesn't involve hunting, but helping the hunted.
In Dance for the Dead she is trying to protect two people, an embezzler who's stalked by an opportunistic head of a security firm and a little boy whose
Joyce
Feb 28, 2009 added it
Shelves: librarybook
It's always a little shock to read a pre-9/11 book with lots of procedural details, and discover how easily people used to be able to take airplane rides without identification. Also people used pay phones and read newspapers -- even the morning and evening editions of newspapers! -- in 1996. And banks made bad loans on overvalued real estate, in transactions that might be fraud or might just be stupidity... oh, hmmmm, maybe that one does still happen. In any case, I hope Thomas Perry can find a ...more
Peter
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Similar to its predecessor Vanishing Act and with an ordinary romance, this is a very standard read. The tension is there and some of the details about assisting people disappear “off the grid” are interesting with eventually intersecting stories of a young boy’s estate being swindled and a woman with some monies hidden from a real-estate scam, both helped by Native American Jane Whitefield. The same bad guys are after both and it ended up formulaic with what was fresh in the earlier novel stale ...more
Julie Kellner
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I've forgotten how much I enjoy reading the Jane Whitefield. Thoroughly recommended
Wesley
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one gets into Jane's background, and Seneca history more. Now I'm hooked, and will go on to the next one.
Deborah Bausmith
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgotten how much I enjoy these Jane Whitefield books. I had stumbled on this in my eBook list, & glad I did. I love this smart, dedicated woman, & I appreciated the Native Am spiritual overtones, too. She’s so adept at reading people, places & situations. I’m especially intrigued w/ her b/c I’m so unlike her. I learned all kinds of details about escaping a life & leaving no trail—all a what-if, knowing I would never need that, but enjoyed the puzzle. I’d forgotten Jake, the nex ...more
Karen
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another zinger - loved it!

When I started this my second Thomas Perry novel, I thought it couldn't possibly match the intensity of his first novel, Vanishing Act. Fortunately for me, Dance for the Dead, was equally riveting. Although I didn't like the character Mary Perkins at all when she was first introduced, she really grew on me. I felt like watching her character grow and to someone who is more than she dreams she could be stronger, more courageous, more caring, it was like watching a missed
Dr T
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Well plotted, although all the twists and turns involved with Jane Whitefield's work in helping people disappear makes for an overlong book. Fortunately the pace picks up in the last half of the book. This book involves the corruption of the Savings & Loan debacle and the kidnapping of a young boy who is heir to a considerable amount of money. Both plots come together, as should be expected, but it takes a long time to get there. I'm not sure how soon I'll be getting to the 3rd book in this ...more
Sheila
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm thrilled to have discovered this Jane Whitefield series. Reading them, 8 total now, out of order was awkward at first, but is not a problem as I've proceeded. This one started and did not let up all they way through. The characters, good and bad, were alive on the pages. Of course I knew in my head that our Jane was not going to fall behind the bad guys, but for several rushed pages, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The new characters are well done making the support team super.
Anothe
Pammy
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Number 2 in the Jane Whitefield series. Her powers as the "patron saint of the pursued" are put to the test again!
Quite honestly, author Thomas Perry is so creative and sneaky and calculating that he makes me feel nothing is safe and no one should be trusted. His mind works in really mind-boggling ways!!
At least, if I think there's ever a need to disappear, I know I can pull out these books and re-read for tips and how-to's!!
This story deals a great deal with high finance and bank manipulations
Shawn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second novel in the Jane Whitefield series refreshingly doesn’t follow the same plot structure as the first novel. Jane still guides "people out of the world” but the reasons for the hiding are quite different, and the manner in which Jane goes about it is also different. The story has some rather dark and brutal parts. Jane continues to be an intriguing protagonist. She shows more vulnerabilities in this novel, but is still just as tough, intelligent, and component. Highly recommend this se ...more
Cindy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This book covers two people who Jane Whitefield helps to 'disappear'. Their stories and reason for dropping out of view are very, very different -- an 8 year old boy and a woman in her 40's. But as the tales twist and turn, both find themselves with a tie to the same organization after their money. Jane has to take a chance not once, but twice to pull them to safety. The organization behind the evil is one that has some plausible likelihood of existing....very scary dudes.
Douglas Smith
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Jane Whitefield series, and I enjoyed this one much more than the first. The author seems to know Jane better, and she came across as much more consistent. An excellent thriller with a very unusual protagonist.
Renato Morbach
After the first book of this series I was very interesting in this series. What a disapointment the second book is. Too slow, much less plausible than the first, just a ordinary book. Not sure I will continue reading.
Norm Elpers
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dance for the Dead

This is a different kind of story, but nevertheless, interesting and enjoyable. The main character, Jane Whitefield, is an American Indian who manages to outsmart the bad guys.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dance for the Dead 1 2 Sep 07, 2013 06:04AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dance for the Dead 1 4 Mar 09, 2012 05:25AM
  • Doing the Devil's Work (Maureen Coughlin, #3)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Secretive (On The Run #2)
  • Gone 'til November
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • Little Saigon
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
  • Hard Aground
  • Deadline
  • Proof Positive (Joe Gunther, #25)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Gracier
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Nest of Vipers
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
Thomas Perry is the author of 25 novels. He was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and as a writer and producer of prime time network television shows.
He lives in

Jane Whitefield (8 books)
  • Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)
  • Blood Money (Jane Whitefield, #5)
  • Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • A String of Beads (Jane Whitefield, #8)
“The women sang the Ohgiwe and danced together as the grandmothers had, for the brave, and the unselfish, for the protectors.” 1 likes