Start by marking “Lectures to My Students” as Want to Read:
Lectures to My Students

Lectures to My Students

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  2,618 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
One contemporary scholar and authority on Spurgeon says of this work: "Next to Mr. Spurgeon's great literary work, The Treasury of David, we consider (these) Lectures to My Students his greatest single contribution to the Christian world. There is more practical wisdom, common sense and sage advice packed within these pages than with any other book of similar size, or cont ...more
Published December 3rd 1979 by Zondervan (first published September 19th 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Lectures to My Students, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lectures to My Students

Monika
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults, and serious students of the Bible
This is the first book I ever read of Mr. Charles H. Spurgeon, and I was so taken with his writings that I can honsetly say he is my favorite author, besides God Himself of course. Charles Spurgeon has such a dry sense of humor that shines through this book and much of his writings. I almost missed it at first since the material deals with matters of depth regarding any Christians serious walk with Jesus. A must read for all Pastors but I learned a great deal that I can apply to my own life.
Som
Andrew Valle
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Anything by Spurg is ridiculously awesome. When reading his stuff I feel like i'm in the room where he gave the lecture. peace!
Joe
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lectures to My Students is a classic on the calling of a pastor. This is a subject not to be taken lightly anymore than the future of eternal souls. This is not a how to book as much as how God wants it done. If you have any idea that you may be called into the ministry this should be on your to read list.
Daniel
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure gold.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Ben Zornes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've found that anything from the pen of Charles Spurgeon is like my favorite armchair; it is homely, comforting, familiar, reliable, not overly cozy, but after a spell in it...always refreshed & rested. He has the ability to be poignant, humorous, sensible, reverent, simple, practical, devotional, profound, lucid, jovial, biblical, and faithful with an almost unrivaled balance in all these areas.

Lectures to My Students is a book I've visited numerous times, and pogo-sticked around in for th
Carol Arnold
Excellent book! It's target audience is preachers. I am not a preacher! I am, however, a Sunday School teacher. I found that the same principles apply. Therefore, it is a very useful book for me. I am continually amazed by how readable Spurgeon is, even though he wrote up to 150 years ago!

I confess, that I skipped/skimmed a few chapters in the back of the book. These were on commentaries and using gestures in preaching. In spite of this, the bulk of the book was very useful and highly recommend
Felipe
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Livro espetacular! Sempre volto ao volume 1 e 2, ao menos uma vez por ano. É sempre possível aprender mais de Spurgeon sobre como desempenhar o mistério do Evangelho de maneira fiel.
Josh
Excellent. A few chapters, such as Spurgeon's book reviews, are dated. But the rest are pure gold.
James B
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book... Prince of Preacher's personal lecture to his students on becoming a pastor, I mean, that should be enough said right? I skipped chapters on how to preach specifically since it's still a bit far for me. There are plenty chapters devoted in the spiritual preparedness for anyone who desires to become a pastor, and they are tremendously helpful for me. They are both motivating, encouraging, deepening my conviction of what kind of man, or pastor if God willing, I nee ...more
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"My college lectures are colloquial, familiar, full of anecdote, and often humorous; they are purposely made so, to suit the occasion. At the end of the week I meet the students, and find them weary . . . and only in a condition to receive something which will attract and secure their attention, and fire their hearts."

So starts this timeless collection of lectures that the “Prince of Preachers” presented with insight, humor and passion to aspiring ministers.

Fascinating titles include "The Minis
Caleb
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Charles Spurgeon is a scientist when it comes to oratory technique and preaching. He packs chapter after chapter of his personal wisdom and experience. Spurgeon has technique and opinion on everything from sermon content, acoustics, preaching outdoors, pronunciation, tone, posture, stance, dress, and even how to keep facial hair! Most of this book is based on wisdom, not necessarily scripture, but this is definitely a useful read if you are a preacher. I am not, so I wished I had picked a differ ...more
Doug Dale
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, leadership
This had it's ups and downs, some chapters were better than others, but it was a very useful tool to spark discussion in our church's leadership class.

A note about the Kindle edition: The publisher did a terrible job transferring this to e-book format. It would appear that they did this by scanning and using OCR, but did no proofreading. There are a number of errors that range from frustrating to amusing. In most places you can glean what was being communicated, but there are others where you c
Larry Killion
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
“This is a good book for preachers to have. It has three series of lectures given by the Prince of Preachers at the Pastor's College in the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London (a preacher school). Spurgeon (1834-1892) is a master at the craft of preaching. He fills these lectures with down to earth practical points and advise for young ministers and seasons his lectures with a sanctified sense of humor that is refreshing. References to other writers and their books on illustrations and antidotes i ...more
Michael Kidd
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing keeping me from giving this work 5 stars is my lack of ability to.put myself in the shoes of a beginning preacher fresh into his biblical education, for whom the last book would have been most helpful. Though I am ashamed it took me so long to read this classic, I am glad I finally did. I commend to any student of the pulpit who has not read it, any congregation member who needs a good yardstick for the sermons they hear and pastors they observe, or any young man considering the p ...more
Patrick S.
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an interesting collection of lectures that should be read by anyone thinking of going into ministry or those early in seminary. There are some dated ideas but the spirit of the advice is sound. Spurgeon makes some amazing points and offers some learned points of view. Some readers might have issue with reading about his speaking on how to speak with proper enunciation or the eating habits around church services. A tad bit on the dated side but an interesting and inspiring read for those ...more
Isaiah Jesch
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, e-book
Brilliant. This book is simply one of the best works on Pastoral Ministry that is available. I am amazed that my studies in Pastoral Ministry never required or even referenced this work. That is to the shame of my alma mater.

Spurgeon is simply one of the best communicators there has been. His sermons are filled with truth and application and these lectures are much the same. I would give this work to any aspiring young pastor and it would be a great gift. I highly recommend this book and it is
Graham Heslop
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
As it is with many prescribed or required readings I didn't fully appreciate Spurgeon when we interacted with him for our college preaching courses. But upon revisiting and giving some serious time to his lectures I have become convinced not only of this work's importance for theological students but also that those in full time ministry should pore over Spurgeon's convicting, refreshing, and deep theology of the pulpit and the life of the pastor
Philip
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant and helpful guide for those pursuing Gospel ministry. The contemporary significance of the work cannot be overstated. Spurgeon consistently hits the nail on the head when it comes to proper pulpit practices as well as the ethics of the minister. There are so many correctives to modern sloppiness in preaching and living. There were times when I lost the feeling that I was reading such an old work and felt like I was reading something by Piper or Keller.
Dan Glover
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have seldom read anything more convicting than Spurgeon's chapter on the preacher's private prayer life, or more instructive than the preacher's public prayer - what it is and what it is not. But really the entire thing is a gem and an invaluable tool for the preacher/pastor. What a shame more preachers don't read this book today. The pulpit and indeed the church toady are poorer places for that lack.
Drew
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I will re-read regularly.

The last third of the book is a bit tedious as he talks about and presents excerpts from resources and helpful books that preachers can use to provide inspiration for illustrations. Given that this book was written a long time ago, those recommendations are mostly outdated.

Otherwise, this book is a treasure and has taught me a ton!
Donnis Short
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The art of effective preaching will always be a learning curve for me. This book is one that I have read for many years and continue to read because it gives me caution about pretentiousness in preaching and inspiration concerning the power of the Gospel unto salvation. Spurgeon was and continues to be a master-teacher!
Tina Lau
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This old classic sat on my bookshelves for years. I finally read it, and it turns out that it is really three volumes in one. Skip the last volume, which is about books of sermon illustrations and is obsolete now. Spurgeon is actually quite funny in spots, and quite readable. There are some gems in here, but you have to be patient to find them. I should have written down the quotable quotes.
Theodros
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What amazing lectures these are , it really shows you that Ministry is a serious matter once your done with this i recommend you read Christian ministry by Charles Bridges. Best thing you can do if your training for the ministry like i am is to go to the Men of God in the past and read what they have said about the Ministry
Craig
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spurgeon is hilarious and this book is no exception. Excellent wit and candid exhortation lead to sheer comedy as he matter-of-factly lays out guidelines for the Christian minister.

That being said, if you're not a Christian minister, and don't intend to become one, this book holds less value than most of Spurgeon's other works. By all means though, still an excellent read!
CJ Bowen
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Spurgeon is experienced, confident, and interesting. I disagree with a number of points, especially liturgical ones, but he is exceptionally worthwhile and stimulating even when he's wrong. He is also hilarious and wise, a rare combination that adds weight to his thoughts. I will be re-reading this regularly.
Jeff
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for any pastor. Although a few things are dated, the book is filled with one golden nugget after another of humor, encouragement, and advice from one of the faithful preachers of the Word.
Michael Newton
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pastoral
Great book is one that you to want read with another guy just because it can seem never ending. Good stuff in it though totally loved the Pastors Private Prayer and some of the other stuff Spurgeon exhorted his students.
Tim
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Spurgeon, of course, is great. He was great as a preacher/teacher, and he is good as a writer. I was especially helped by Spurgeon in his emphasis on soul winning, making appeals, and his careful balance between the use of humor and earnestness.

This is a classic, and deserves to be so.
Nathan Douthit
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really great collection of lessons that allow a window into the teaching and training of Spurgeon. The sections on open air preaching, the life of a minister and allegories and sermons are really worthwhile.
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • Pastoral Ministry: How to Shepherd Biblically
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92) was England's best-known preacher for most of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1854, just four years after his conversion, Spurgeon, then only 20, became pastor of London's famed New Park Street Church (formerly pastored by the famous Baptist theologian John Gill). The congregation quickly outgrew their building, moved to Exeter Hall, then to Surrey M ...more
More about Charles Haddon Spurgeon...

“Master those books you have. Read them thoroughly. Bathe in them until they saturate you. Read and reread them…digest them. Let them go into your very self. Peruse a good book several times and make notes and analyses of it. A student will find that his mental constitution is more affected by one book thoroughly mastered than by twenty books he has merely skimmed. Little learning and much pride comes from hasty reading. Some men are disabled from thinking by their putting meditation away for the sake of much reading. In reading let your motto be ‘much not many.” 59 likes
“Far better for a man that he had never been born than that he should degrade a pulpit into a show box to exhibit himself in.” 7 likes