Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)

Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin #5)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  6,388 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
In her fifth outing, pushy and endearing Agatha Raisin has wedding to Cotswold neighbor James Lacey interrupted by her first husband, not divorced, thought-dead, Jimmy Raisin. Matters go quickly from bad to worse. Jimmy is found murdered; Agatha and James are the prime suspects.
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage

Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
The Flooze
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Agatha...tut tut tut.

Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage is probably the best installment yet. Emotions are high, bodies are piling up, and Agatha herself has some near misses with the grim reaper. Though it was the pleasant, easy read I've come to expect from Beaton, the pace was faster and the characters better represented.

This book accomplishes something the previous four did not: it gives James Lacey a more distinct personality. Previously, he came across as a cardboard cutout of t
Blaine DeSantis
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in the Agatha Raisin series and this book differs considerably with the TV Episode. We have Agatha getting ready to marry James, and at the last minute her first husband shows up! Oops!!! She never got a divorce and thought he had died of drink many a long year ago. But he is back for a brief appearance and then turns up dead!!!! Agatha is a prime suspect, and then she goes into full sleuth mode. Lots of different possibilities exist as to who could have killed Jimmy Raisin, a ...more
Una Tiers
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darker than the earlier books, this installment of Agatha Raisin includes treachery and near marriage.
Gerry
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I'm glad you've given up investigating murders, Agatha. Not that you weren't a help in the past, but mostly because of your blundering about and making things happen," says Detective Sergeant Bill Wong in the middle of this current mystery. And 'plus ca change plus la meme chose'!

How many more murders that Agatha and her amateur colleagues can unravel beggars belief ... but as long as they keep happening in sleepy little Carsely, she will continue, I am sure.

RebeccaS
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this Agatha Raisin book, even with the ridiculous relationship between James and Agatha. I do not understand her every changing love/obsession with him, he seems so boring and stuck up. I was interested in the mystery and I did (view spoiler) ...more
Andrea
He's dead, he's not dead, he's dead. That's the tale of Aggie Raisin's first husband Jimmy who she thought was dead and then he turns up to spoil her wedding plans with James her handsome neighbor, current sleuthing and romantic partner. Then Jimmy is found dead, then begins the real trouble for Agatha and for James Lacey too! As usual Aggie has help from a veritable cast of characters and there are plenty of mishaps along the way to hopefully solving the crime. Will James and Agatha ever end u ...more
Weebly
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice story - I like reading these long series where you get to know the characters more and more as time goes on. It is like slipping on a comfy pair of slippers.
Tamsinwilloughby
Agatha is way too naive and bad at reading people to have sucessfully run a pr agency, but the Raisin books are entertaining fluff so I'm willing to overlook that.
Jonathan
Agatha Raisin's forwardness is legendary. She is hilarious, and I love her! However, this mystery fell slightly from the quality of the previous book. To begin with, the mystery was extremely transparent. The killer was projected from the first hundred pages, and didn't stop being projected until the end. However, this book was still above-normal in it's quality. As I said above, Agatha is a wonderfully written character, and I'm genuinely excited to read the next one. Recommend!
Ellie
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage by M.C. Beaton is another installment in Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. Having finally gotten her next door neighbor to marry her, Agatha gives up her home only to have her husband, Jimmy, who she thought/hoped was dead turn up the wedding. She now finds herself sans both husband and home.

This is the story of how she attempts to get them back, as well as solve a few murders along the way.

If you like Agatha & her adventures (and I do), you'll like this
Andrew
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Another light hearted episode in this very different series. Usually you are left not really liking Agatha, although in this one I did end up feeling rather sorry for her! Even if she did bring on herself by the most stupid of actions in agreeing to a marriage whilst the possibility that her husband may still be alive. Whilst not always liking the main character I do like the feel of this series, but do appreciate the series is not for everybody but I do intend continuing with the serie
Andrea
This one felt short or perhaps just read fairly quickly. Some fun mystery and hijinks here, but I’m coming to really dislike a number of characters in this series. James is an idiot and far too old to be so wishy-washy. And I can’t stand Roy and want to smack him. Fun read, but not my favorite of this series.
Karen
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this book and must say that it was good, but not as fast-paced as the other Agatha books. I did guess who the murderer was before getting to the last chapter. The last chapter did leave me wanting to read the 6th --- The Terrible Tourist --- which I started last night.
Amber
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-c-beaton
I enjoy the series of british mysteries written by M.C. Beaton. Her stories center around a cantancerous 50+ year old british woman who has moved to the Cotswalds of England, and takes to solving crimes...she is abrasive, but yet you can't help but root for her...
Cyndi
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose if you're going to stop a wedding, it must be done just before the 'I do's"? That's what happens when Mr. Raisin comes to the village. These books are very entertaining. Nice 'cozy mystery' that makes it look like small towns are deadly.
Robin
This is a good book too. Wondered what happened to Mr Jimmy Raisin.
Andree Sanborn
A darker and more sinister Raisin mystery but once I got used to that, I enjoyed the extra depth of the plot. I hope (but know it doesn't happen) that she and Lacey get back together.
Alia
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is fun and easy to read. Nothing that will change your life, but entertaining nonetheless.
Clarabel
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-lover
Il y a de l'action dans cet épisode, particulièrement cocasse et mouvementé. Agatha est dans le creux de la vague, James n'a pas non plus un beau rôle, on loue la patience d'ange de Mrs Bloxby, on peste contre Roy Silver et on affiche notre penchant pour Bill. Les tomes se suivent, se ressemblent sans doute, mais ne cessent de m'enchanter. Retrouver Agatha Raisin, c'est pour moi l'assurance de bonnes heures de lecture, en compagnie d'une héroïne enquiquinante et indélicate au possible.

Chocolaa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policiers
Ça m'a fait plaisir de retrouver cette chère Agatha Raisin ! Je ne sais toujours pas si j'aime bien cette dernière ou pas, mais on je ne m'ennuie pas en lisant ses aventures. J'aime ce petit côté rétro... (les livres ont parus dans les années 90')
Aylavella
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Típica novela cozy mistery o misterios agradables. Mezcla de Misterio y comedia que hacen que la novela sea Entretenida y rápida de leer. Recomendable para pasar un buen rato con su lectura.
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Agatha Raisin stories. Agatha has to come to terms with her relationship with James, her neighbor and comes to know herself better in the process.
Amanda
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can always count on MC Beaton for a great palate cleanser! In this installment, Agatha and James finally find their romantic footing... or do they?
Tracy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.75/5
So addicting!!
Plum-crazy
Amusing read seeing our Aggie getting herself into the usual scrapes....but why, oh why does she persist on chasing James - get a grip woman!
Yasmin
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing- this series is becoming very formulaic. I skim read a good third just to finish it.
Darlene
Reading an Agatha Raisin novel is like eating “comfort” food. When I am looking for a fun, light read, I can count on this series to fit the bill.

At the conclusion of the last book in the series, Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley, we found out that conniving Roy Silver had hired a private investigator to find Agatha’s louse of a husband, Jimmy Raisin, upon hearing of Agatha’s upcoming nuptial to James Lacey. I was so eager to get my hands on the next book in the series, and it did not dis
Yvonne
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin’s big day has finally arrived. She finally snared her man…she is about to marry her neighbor, James Lacey. All of her dreams are about to come true…until her legal husband, Jimmy Raisin shows up at the wedding ceremony. Agatha assumed he had drunk himself to death years ago, but instead he shows up to cause trouble. If nothing else, he stops her from committing bigamy.

However, James Lacey is more than a little disgusted and walks out on Agatha. He breaks off their engagement and wa
CatarinaG
Mesmo no fimzinho do livro anterior, James pede a Agatha em casamento por isso, este livro começa com os preparativos para o casamento mas ainda não é desta que as coisas vão começar a correr bem para Agatha pois o seu amigo (da onça) Roy contrata uma investigadora para confirmar que o 1º marido de Agatha está mesmo morto e ele acaba por aparecer no registo, no dia do casamento.
James acaba tudo com Agatha, não quer mais nada com ela e muito menos ficar à espera que a situação se resolva. Ainda p
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)