Start by marking “Last Chance Saloon” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Saloon

Last Chance Saloon

Ever since legwarmers were cool, best friends Tara, Katherine, and Fintan have survived small-town ennui, big-city heartbreak, and endless giddy nights out on the town. But now that they've graduated to their slightly more serious thirties, only Fintan has what can honestly be called a "love life." With Tara struggling daily with her eternal diet—and her dreadful, ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Saloon, please sign up.
Cyssah Olyver At first I thought it was boring, and it seems to happen everytime I read one of Marian Keyes' books, but her stories always surprise me. They are…moreAt first I thought it was boring, and it seems to happen everytime I read one of Marian Keyes' books, but her stories always surprise me. They are always hilarious! (less)

Start your review of Last Chance Saloon
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2015
I cannot understand how this book is getting such rave reviews. I could barely finish it, I wanted to pull my hair out with boredom!

The characters were so silly and stupid that you just want to smack them in the head, especially Tara. Give me a break woman, how is it that you accept living with a man who dotes on his cat while spewing verbal abuses at you in the same second? Ridiculous.

And really, Marian Keyes, all the unnecessary detail...you're killing me. I was skimming through passage
Karo
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, chicklit
I've read all of Marian Keyes' novels now, and I have to say that this might be her best yet. Watermelon was great, Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married a bit disappointing, Rachel's Holiday mildly depressing and frustrating, but Last Chance Saloon had me hooked. I very much enjoyed the cast of characters, each very well sketched out. The book really is a clever look at how easily one can become complacent, how easy it is to settle or simply float through life. The novel was a perfect mix of having ...more
Christine Tsui
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite Marian Keyes book. The characters are funny and flawed but in an all too familiar way. I can see myself and people I know in each of the main characters.

I've read this book many times over the years and I can happily pick this book up and start from a page chosen at random. The storyline is really engaging and I've laughed and cried reading this book.

I think this was one of the first chick-lit books I read but I feel it's more than that. It's about the sometimes complicated
Holly
Jul 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
I am so happy that I'm finished with this book!! I love Marian Keyes but this book left me with an agonizing desire to throw it across the room! But I was determined to finish it no matter what. I just couldn't get into this story. Perhaps, it was just too long and therefore, became quite boring. Or perhaps, it was because I couldn't seem to like the characters, with the possible exception of Tara. It had a good premise...live life to the fullest. I liked that, so that's something positive. ...more
Obsidian
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Last Chance Saloon continues to speak to me and it has been almost six years since I have read it for the first time. I don't know why I re-read this constantly. Maybe it's because I keep thinking that the ending of the book will unexpectedly change. I fell in love with the main characters in this book and really just wanted them to have nothing but good things.

Even though this book is supposed to be about three best friends since child/teenage years Tara, Fintan, and Katherine. Most of the book
Arielle Walker
No, this is not great literature. It isn't perfect, it may not even the one of the best Marian Keyes books. What it is is funny, gentle, sweet and relatively calm - exactly what I've been needing to read.

In typical Keyes fashion, the characters are all terrible flawed and all the more likeable for it. I really think Katherine is not up there with my favourite Keyes characters, as is the lovely Fintan (which makes the usual heartbreaking plot-line of the book even more heartbreaking). (view
Faith
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005
Kate’s Book Spot
This was another Marian Keyes book that I liked the sound of and was looking forward to reading.

Straight away I got a sense of fun from the main characters, they had a great friendship and were comfortable and relaxed in each others company. Tara had a bit of a problem with food and I could totally relate to that! Any parts that mentioned her hunger either had me nodding my head because it’s something I do, or laughing out loud at how hilariously she behaves when she’s hungry. Seeing everyday
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Another story for me where I couldn't connect with the characters. Keyes is very skilful at drawing pictures of relationships and I did feel the friendship of these people but I didn't care enough about them. Even the guy I should really have felt sorry for was so obnoxious at times that I wanted to slap him. Tara - also needed a slap. But maybe that's showing what a good job the novelist did. If she makes you see you don't have to put up with that sort of behaviour from a guy, then she's done ...more
Poise
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So I got this book and many others as a gift from my supervisor at work, for performing greatly, 'call me lucky!' lol. Of all the seven novels she gave me, this was my first read and I was blown away by it intense humor, yet very deep and emotional. I love all the characters and I remember thinking about the book while driving to work and burst out laughing. I enjoyed every bit of it, my very first Marian Keyes book, and now I can't wait to read her other novels. Such a fun read! :)
CynthiaA
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, rubbish
Took this to the lake with me looking for some light beach-reading. I got through the first chapter and wanted to toss it in the lake.

Borrowed my husbands book of essays on sports and music because even reading about junior college basketball games from the 1980's was better than this.
Dark-Draco
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I have to say that I found this hard going to start with - in fact, a couple of false starts and almost a week had elapsed before I really started reading it. And the main reason for this is that I really didn't like Fenton, Tara, Liv and Katherine. We first meet them in a restaurant, where they come across as being fashion-obsessed, neurotic, unhappy people in a London setting that has no real appeal to me at all!

However, knowing how much I've enjoyed this author before, I decided to give it
Sara Brady
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had a bit different feel to it than other books by Marian. Some prominent issues are dealt with that I hadn't otherwise noticed in other books she's written so I found her voice in new situations interesting and multi-faceted. Not my favorite Marian novel, but I'd still recommend or gift this book to any of my friends!
Christine
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book as I heard Marion on the radio. She was very entertaining so I thought I’d give one of her books a go. It was lightweight and somewhat frothy although it reminded me very much of the nurses I worked with in the 80s all from Ireland who lived life to the full and we great fun to be with. Those I knew didn’t have posh clothes or big salaries but they were great people. So this was a nostalgic read although I’m not sure I’d read another or perhaps just if I were on a beach!
Joan
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. Classic chick-lit with something every reader can relate to. I must say though that I would’ve enjoyed it more without the cameo’s of peripheral characters and a bit more of a rounded-off finish! But as they say...one can’t get everything one wants all the time!
♥ Marlene♥
And another Marian Keyes book I read but not registered.

On Thursday, July 28, 2005 I wrote on bookcrossing.com

8 out of 10
Hi Lauraloo
This book was so hard for me to get into.
Didn't know why. maybe because it is huge and I have set a goal, to read 100 books in 1 year?
anyway I had tried to read it twice. Both times I'd read 10 pages and then I received another book and stopped reading this one.

Well third time lucky. Again it was hard.I think because the main persons annoyed me, and did not have
Antof9
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Book review from BookCrossing: I'm a disaster at remembering to write journal entries while I can still remember the book! Sheesh! And the only reason I'm going to write a journal entry on this one is because it's getting in a box with some magazines to go to an American in Japan.

Back to the journal entry on this book -- I have several spots marked, so let's see if I can remember what I marked!

I don't know why I marked page 70, but I hated Thomas from the beginning. The conversation on this page
Michele Minor
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tara, Fintan and Katherine have been good friends for a long time ever since they were teenagers in Ireland. The three of them now live in London with only Fintan who has what could be called a love life. Tara is staying with her verbally abusive, penny-pinching boyfriend because she feels that he is the last chance that he has for marriage and children. Katherine who was heart broken from a past relationship keeps her single life organized and is happy being single. Fintan is in a long term ...more
Bianca
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
All I can say is....wow. I'm glad I'm done with this book. Normally when I speed read books, it's because I'm desperate to know what happens next. I start gripping the book so hard, willing myself to read faster. This book was like that for me, but because I just wanted to get it over with.

The bar was set pretty high because I've heard such great things about Marian Keyes. The characters were all pretty "meh," and I couldn't relate to any of them. Sometimes they were so stupid that it was
Barbara
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
20+ years ago I was hooked on Marion Keyes and for many years I would buy all her books. Then about 10 years ago she went weird on me and started writing ridiculous plot lines about as-yet-unborn babies watching over their parents to be and I just thought "OK Marian, you've gone too far this time" and I stopped completely.

I bought Last Chance Saloon as it was a heavily discounted Kindle offer and it has rather reinstated some of my faith in her again. Yes, everything is quite predictable, yes, a
Amanda
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is all about making the most of your time and not wasting your life. Tara is so afraid of being alone and Katherine can't get over her past, and both have to be forced into making a change in their life so they can find happiness. I liked the contrast of the stability of Fintan and Sandro's relationship, though I thought it was heartbreaking that Sandro had to go through all he did for a second time. No one should have to do that more than once. I found it interesting the way Lorcan's ...more
Kat A
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The more I read, the more I love. Excellent! As engaging as Sushi for Beginners this is another ensemble story about three best friends and their lives and loves. I literally could not put it down. I just wanted to know what happened! I really liked the characters of Tara and Katherine, and their back stories and that although everyone didn't end up happily ever after, the potential to be happy was there. I'm on to another Walsh book, the last because she hasn't written one about Helen yet. ...more
Kemn2412
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my personal favourite from Keyes. One that I return to often when I'm lacking any new material to wet my appetite. Its got a few little twists and turns as all Keyes books do. I found the characters so likeable, though I do wish that Fintan was developed a little more, his story line was probably the weakest for me of the three. Still its a good laugh, a little teary if you are having a particularly weak day and a little saucy. All in all a pleasant read over and over again.
Lainy
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! I Read it in almost one sitting and stayed up to finish it. The characters you could relate to or connect to even if and when you didn't particularly like them.

The book follows the life of 3 friends and jumps back and forward every now and again from the present to events that shaped who they are today.

Funny, sad and even cringe worthy at some points but a total fantastic light read, I loved it 5/5 for me.
Samantha
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was terrific! it was funny and full of humanity. The main character is supper cool, and she has a great circle of friends, except it is also a bit sad as one of her friends is terminally ill. Anyway, its a beautifully written book that will keep you glued to each page. It's one of the best books I've read.
Debbie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It was frustrating at times - wanted to shake Lucy and say "he's no good for you - he's just like your father!" But then obviously the book would have ended 200 pages earlier - and I suppose we all have to make our own mistakes. Funny as only Marian Keyes can be though - not the obvious funny - but the sarcastic-to-the-hilt funny.
Ruth Soz
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, novels
It look me a while to warm up to the main characters and I thought the bad apples were a little one dimensional. But this was still an enjoyable read with the Marian Keyes trademarks. I really wasn't ready for it to end!
Becky
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Becky by: Katy
This book was definitely a page-turner. It's chick-lit, but it's about Irish people living in London, so I wasn't embarrassed to read it in public. I loved the character of Tara, who is a bit like an Irish Bridget Jones. I think we can all relate to her. Thanks, Katy!
Iva Pejkovic
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the rare chic lit books that has some kind of smart message
Jane Porter
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Massive Marian Keyes fan! Watermelon might just always be my favorite since it was my first Keyes novel I ever read (and her debut) but I love everything she writes, and this was terrific, too.

• Jemima J
  • Bookends
  • Someone Like You
  • Thirtynothing
  • Getting Over It
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • Milkrun
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
  • Dog Handling
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • Restoring Grace
  • The Matchbreaker
  • A Kept Woman
  • With or Without You
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes ...more
“Love is blind, there was no doubt about it. In Tara's case it was also deaf, dumb, dyslexic, had a bad hip and the beginnings of Alzheimer's” 59 likes
“Show me a person who doesn't have a past and I'll show you a boring bastard” 42 likes