Start by marking “Memorial Mania: Public Feeling in America” as Want to Read:
Memorial Mania: Public Feeling in America

Memorial Mania: Public Feeling in America

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

In the past few decades, thousands of new memorials to executed witches, victims of terrorism, and dead astronauts, along with those that pay tribute to civil rights, organ donors, and the end of Communism have dotted the American landscape. Equally ubiquitous, though until now less the subject of serious inquiry, are temporary memorials: spontaneous offerings of flowers

Published July 30th 2010 by University of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Memorial Mania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memorial Mania

Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: artlandia
I was not a fan of this book on the first pass. Luckily, for me, there was something there that kept pulling me back to the text. Arguments made by the author would crowd my thoughts throughout the day, and I found myself going back to this book for several months to support other research I was conducting.

The book is well researched and solidly argued. Plus, I rather enjoy the author's semi-snarky tone. Speaking to and from the points of view of artists, philosophers, sociologists, architects,
William  Shep
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Well grounded examination, thoughtful, provocative, but also suffused with the liberal, academic world view.
Kim Lacey
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Very thorough account of American memorials. I can see myself using chapters of this book for future courses, especially the Intro and chapter 1. The way Doss lays out the book makes it accessible to begin with any of the later chapters after reading the intro/ch. 1. (These later chapters are themed by emotions: "grief" "fear" "gratitude" "shame" and "anger".) Tons of illustrations and well written.
Warren Perry
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Doss has an agenda in her writing-- I guess most of us do-- and she has a severe problem with tradition. Her analysis of the American monument explosion is thorough, but her writing is choppy at times. Also, she does not acknowledge simple motives like patriotism; at times, she over-analyzes the obvious. Her assessment of new motives-- guilt, anger-- behind our recent monuments bears reading, but I don't think she has done her best writing yet.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I needed to read two chapters from this for work, but it was so absorbing that I just read the whole thing. So good.
Nancy Midgette
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting premise about how people regard memorials. Parts of the book are very interesting, but some parts become rather ponderous. Fortunately, it is easy to skim those parts.
Billy Marino
Nov 29, 2016
Nov 18, 2014
Melissa Ski
Feb 27, 2011
rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2013