Start by marking “A Planet Called Treason” as Want to Read:

A Planet Called Treason

The families on the planet Treason have for a long time been separated into warring clans. Yet each family is using its own special products to help barter for much-needed iron. Lanik Mueller, whose family is able to reproduce body parts, finds himself unable to stop growing parts. As this disaster takes him on a journey across the planet, he develops a plan that will help ...more
Published July 1st 1980 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1979)

Helen
Jun 23, 2012 added it
I read this book when I was nineteen ( 30 years ago).. I loved it .. it has stuck in my mind.. *I read so so many books that unless a book really touches me in some manner I forget about it ,, not remembering having read it I will at sometime down the road pick it up again and start reading then realizing that I had already consumed it.. this book touched me .. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.. especially if you like science fiction..
Jason
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I remember this book in dreams and sometimes scenes from it seem to replace memories from my childhood. I read it when I was young and the ideas and themes presented within are so raw and vivid. This is not just a sci-fi novel, this is a journey through the readers life. It fills in any gaps you had from being sheltered, or simply missing out on certain lifestyles. This book made me think, dream, and believe, so many new things.
Todd
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, this book is mostly Fantasy. There are some Sci/Fi elements, but the majority of skills mastered are pure Fantasy! Lanik Mueller is a Radical Regenerative. (He, and his bloodline, grow extra limbs, hearts, heads, breasts, etc.) He is targeted for assassination. He escapes, and the journey across Treason begins. He learns all kinds of cool stuff, like talking to rocks, and how to manipulate time . . . I don't do spoilers so that's as far as I will go! I gave it 4.0 stars! Enjoy! Or not!
Stephanne Stacey
Must read. So many unique ideas I don't know where to start. This is like Gulliver's Travels but the stories are different. Unlike the places that Gulliver went to where no one knew about any of the others, this is a planet aware of everyone else, but not aware. I won't elaborate on that at all, you have to read the book to understand.

As a FYI, this version is the first original edition. Orson rewrote this book and republished it later. It is also a version hard to get your hands on. (I may be p
Christian
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
THis is my favorite action book. Lanik Meuller embarks on an epic quest to free himself of the disease of being a R.A.D. to discover that he is in the middle of a war-of-families that has been raging between the people of the planet Treason since the time they were exiled to the planet from Earth. I can't tell you enough how much the book sings to me.

I do not like the parts where Lanik's girlfriend sleeps with the people who live in the trees who change time . . . but I guess if there weren't s
Hutch Morzaria
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-scifi
This is one of those books that you'll keep on coming back to - it's one that I've read many times over the years, enough that I've broken the spine on the book! - and one that's absolutely begging for a sequel. Lannik Mueller is the heir to a great house on the planet, but this planet is different to any other in the universe and for the prisoners stranded there ... the changes to their bodies are just the tip of the iceberg. Read my full review here.
Valerie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a magnificent fantastical story, any one of the many ideas within worthy of its own book. I love the combination of outrageous impossible things being real plus certain real-world truths remaining. Crazy & odd cultures, magic, ideas, all still part of a simple good vs. evil discussion. For me, that is a truly good read, not just "these guys are bad, goodness conquers, the end", but wondering what is really good anyway, what means are just, what is a life worth living.
Kimberley
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I can't get this book out of my head. And I read it years ago. Go figure.
Keith Jones
Feb 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't know how to describe this book. It started out good enough. Very interesting. And, then... Well, I just don't know what to say... it got weird... creepy...
Cara Wittekind
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Super sad that after years of trying to figure out what book this was, I found it, and discovered what my middle school self didn't see...it's incredibly racist and reveals a lot about OSC that I didn't pick up on then, but see really clearly now.
The world-building also wasn't as amazing as I remembered. Oh, well.
Bill Purdy
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenage boys, traditional sci-fi fans
A Planet Called Treason (later reworked and republished as Treason) was the first Card book I read. It was a selection of the Science Fiction Book Club, to which I belonged for several years.

The story is, perhaps, not as well developed as Card's later work, but to my 8th grade imagination, it was immaculate. Every night for the week in which I first read it (and for the two subsequent teenage re-readings as well), I'd set the book on the nightstand and drift to sleep imagining I was an inhabitan
Cmadler
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though the prose is not Card's best -- a problem largely fixed in Card's 1988 re-write titled simply Treason -- the underlying story is easily one of Card's best.

Without going into too many details, I will simply note that there are a lot of themes common to much of Card's work. On a planet populated by the descendants of intellectuals who had attempted to rebel against an interstellar society, iron is only mineable in a forbidding desert (c.f. Hot Sleep/The Worthing Chronicle). A young pro
Randy
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall,

I did enjoy this book. After having read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game,Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide--just a few in the Ender's Game Series, I knew I liked this author.

He definitely has an imagination and a mind for science fiction.

Because I do not want to give much away I will be short.

A Planet Called Treason

Pros - creative story with some depth, intelligent author with grasp of scientific concepts

Cons - A tad too vulgar/crude at times, not the best writing in parts, at times it
Michael Bafford
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Christian Buckley
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Of all of Card's earlier works, I always thought this story would make the best feature film. It has all the important components for a movie, but without the complexity of the Ender series or Worthing Saga. It would be very fast-paced, filled with special effects, love, action, and diverse scenery. Put Orlando Bloom in the lead, and you've got yourself a major hit.

In later works (Lost Boys, Homebody, Magic Street), Card was intentionally writing in a way that could be moved to film at a later d
Ghislaine
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read this a long time ago having found a copy in a used bookshop and I was shocked at how bad it was. Not the writing but the theme and I really wondered about the writer if that could come out of ones head. It was really racist to say the least. But over the course of years, I heard that it was reworked but I never read it again. Garbage. It put me off the author who I really enjoyed from Ender's Game, Wyrm, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Never picked up another book written by him after ...more
Brian
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved this book and have reread it multiple times. Yes, this was one of OSC's earlier works and the writing isn't as polished as his later stuff but that doesn't detract from the story.

I love how fast the story moved and how he didn't linger on details, it really made it more fable like. The book can be described as spiritual as Lanik travels the world and learns powers from the people he meets. There are some interesting plot twists that you never see coming and make the book very unique.

I r
Steve
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Of course it's an early novel of Card's, but the concept is immaculately presented, and it's so much better than Card's revision ('Treason' - 1988), written in the third person, which loses a great deal of the impact of the original.

Card has a tendency to revise or expand his older works; I wish he'd just concentrate on writing new novels!
Hallie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I only got one chapter in - that's all it took to know it wasn't worth it. This must be very early Card, because it reads like a horrible Ursula K. LeGuin impersonation. The prose is childish, the characters flat, and the story was not gripping enough to persuade me to continue reading. Skip it.
David Monroe
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scott Card fans, Fans of fast-paced-plot-driven fiction
Recommended to David by: SF Book Club
I read this when it came out in '80 or '81. I remember really enjoying it. I re-read it around '95 and couldn't get past how badly written his characters were. It's completely plot-driven and a fast read. I've not read the book "Treason" that is an expanded version of APCT, it seems to be a love it or loathe it.
Rob
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A good pulp sci-fi adventure/philosophy book, kind of in the same vein as Gulliver's Travels. Certainly more about ideas than anything else, it still succeeds as a fast-paced action story, never really settling down to create a scene, but whisking through one event to the next. I did get kind of a kick out of one resolution--the world would probably be better off without the politicians.
Peter
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any SF fan
An imaginative and well-written book about various branches of science developed to an unheard-of degree by the descendants of rebels on a prison planet. Quite a memorable work. Unfortunately Card rather ruined it in a later re-write under the name Treason.
Lance
Aug 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The very first Card book I read and I did not like it. While the science was good, the fiction wasn't. I thought the characters were vapid and shallow. This is a shorter and earlier version of his later book Treason.
Trish Loter
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is clear that this is one of Cards early books, as the writing is not as cohesive and polished as most of his other stuff, that being said, I really love the idea, very original.
Gail Morris
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
wow, great story weave... enjoyed every page.
Marie
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: card-orson_scott
One of my all-time favorite books.
Dave
Nov 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Juvenile. Horses called Hitler and Himmler? Are you kidding me? He becomes a much better writer. Try Ender’s Game instead.
Bee
My husband read this to me on our honeymoon last week (it's his favorite book). I really enjoyed it -- more so, admittedly, than the only other Orson Scott Card novel I've read, ENDER'S GAME.
JonRaven
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uncertain when read. Before 2003.
You gotta love anthropology and sociology to love this book, I guess 1 1 Jul 30, 2019 02:07PM

• Arc of the Dream (Radix, #3)
  • Big Planet
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • The Hemingway Hoax
  • Project Pope
  • Battle Circle (Battle Circle, #1-3)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • Mainline
  • Transit
  • The Priests Of Psi
  • Players of Gor (Gor, #20)
  • Les Portes d'Occident (Wang, #1)
  • The Practice Effect
  • The Ruins of Isis
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.

Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
“Lanik :
- Je suis en train de perdre Saranna.
L'Homee-qui-sais-tout :
- C'est très bien. Peresonne ne doit posséder quelqu'un d'autre. >>”
0 likes
“Je n’en mourus pas. Mais quand ma voix se tut et de vis la terre refermée, je voulus la refaire surgir du néant, rappeler à la vie le hideux vieillard, permettre à son existence de se poursuivre même si son être ne pouvais pas vivre. Il méritait de mourir, sauf que rien ne mérite la mort, et j’aurais pu devenir fou en cet instant, partagé entre le besoin de ramener à la vie l’homme et la maison, et la certitude que leur destruction était nécessaire.” 0 likes