Start by marking “The Dream Years” as Want to Read:
The Dream Years

The Dream Years

If you live your dreams, you can remake the world...

One strange and magical winter day in 1924, a young surrealist follows a dark-haired woman down the avenues of time to the paris riots of 1968. Together they learn the awesome power of the imagination to turn lies into truth, death into love, darkness into light...
Published 1985 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Years

Start your review of The Dream Years
Anna
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I can’t remember how I found out about this novel, presumably a list of recommendations somewhere? The combination of surrealists, dreams, time travel, and revolution had obvious appeal and the library didn't have it, so I bought a cheap copy off eBay. Unfortunately I think it had been stored in a damp shed for the past twenty years, if the smell was anything to go by. That aside, ‘The Dream Years’ had flashes of brilliance yet didn’t quite live up to its potential. The narrator, Robert St Onge, ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
review of
Lisa Goldstein's The Dream Years
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - April 15, 2017

Maybe some day I'll start writing flash fiction reviews & I won't need to redirect you anymore. In the meantime, my full review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

Another new writer to me. While I was reading this I coincidentally ran across an excerpt from a Damien Broderick book where he discussed the difficulty of pigeon-holing this as SF (or some such). That interested me. &, yeah, I wdn't call it SF, it's more of a romantic
deLille
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
A little amateurish in style -- sounds like a creative writing project -- but still a noble attempt to be whimsical. Visual imagery needed to be fleshed out better; the descriptions were too vague and sometimes clichéd. All of the characters were flat and stereotyped into representations of an idea, versus a person. This is the kind of book I would have liked in high school, but now it seems silly.
Robbie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much of the book is 4/7 stars -- the story isn't dry but the writing sometimes feels a bit so -- but the ending made me so happy that it pushed my opinion of it up to 7/7. I think that I may end up reading the last few chapters of it again later in my life. It's at the same time a critique and an affirmation of the Surrealist movement: finding its grounding most of all in love and wonder. (view spoiler) ...more
Jim
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surrealism and time travel and revolution in a lushly written view of Paris as it was, and perhaps one day will be.
Karla Huebner
I rather enjoyed rereading this, although at this point I find the sections set in the future (1968 and the 21st century) somewhat unsatisfactory. The portions set in 1924 convey certain aspects of early surrealism, yet--perhaps in an attempt to keep the cast of characters manageable--makes the surrealist group of 1924 seem very small and a pale shadow of what comes across from actual surrealist documents and photos. Also, having the central character be a completely fictional surrealist ended u ...more
Steev
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Revolutionaries, Dreamers and fellow travellers and those about to visit Paris for the first time.
It's a long time since I read this book and though I'd read better written books, I loved it's subject matter.

Not what has become known as science fiction (as there are no gadgets or aliens) time travel is used as device for those caught up in the uprisings of May 1968 in Paris to contact the Surrealists who helped pave the way for Situationist thinking that came to the fore in that period.

Not full of heavy Marxist or Bakunite economic theory, it is a love story and somet
Deedee
André Breton, a major character in this novel, was a real person. (19 February 1896 – 28 September 1966) He was "a French writer, poet, anarchist and anti-fascist. He is known best as the founder of Surrealism. His writings include the first Surrealist Manifesto (Manifeste du surréalisme) of 1924, in which he defined surrealism as "pure psychic automatism"."
Roy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very interesting storyline blending fantasy with the surrealist movement. Characters move in time between the surrealist movement of the 1920s with the real characters of that time to the French worker/student near revolution of 1968 and beyond mixing history, character, and philosophy. Very enjoyable.
Cynthia
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, 2015
A slender sweet fantasy set in Paris. Paris in winter 1924 and in the famous spring of 1968. Surrealists and Paris. Blues musicians and Paris. A time-travel love story and Paris. As is said in that city, Tous au bistro!
DoctorM
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
A lovely and haunting little sci-fi novel that's set amongst the Surrealists of Paris in the 1920s, a novel where the Paris of the early postwar, the Paris of May 1968, and the Paris of a doomed future all intersect. Excellent read.
Rodney Welch
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting 1985 novel about Surrealism. Andre Breton & Company become unstuck in time, bouncing back and forth between 1928 and May of 1968, where student revolutionaries have brought them for inspiration. The 1928 period is well-imagined and well-rendered.
Paul
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic. Urban fantasy before there was urban fantasy.

See my blog for a more detailed review.
Mary
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've always been interested in surrealism. But Surrealism and time travel. AWESome.
Jacob
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
A surprisingly strange, and good, book for something I picked up completely randomly.
KC
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sensation
  • Signal to Noise
Aka Isabel Glass.

Lisa Goldstein (b. November 21, 1953 in Los Angeles) is a Nebula, Hugo, and World Fantasy Award nominated fantasy and science fiction writer. Her 1982 novel The Red Magician won the American Book Award for best paperback novel, and was praised by Philip K. Dick shortly before his death. Goldstein writes science fiction and fantasy; her two novels Daughter of Exile and The Divid