Start by marking “Pirate Pat” as Want to Read:

Pirate Pat

(Usborne Very First Reading #1)

Pirate Pat
Published March 30th 2010 by Usborne Books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Pat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Pat

C.G.
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I started using the books in this Usborne series to help my 7 year old (English is her second language) learn how to read this summer before she starts 1st grade this fall. Since I'm not a teacher by training, I was a little unsure about how to start out with her, but Pirate Pat was a great starting point, and the parental aids in the front, and bonus work in the back we're really great. She's on book #3 now, and sounding out words everywhere we go. :-) As others have mentioned, one of the best ...more
Stephanie P
I love the format for this series of books for kids learning to read! And it was an added bonus that the first book was about a pirate (my almost 4 year old sons current obsession). I love how the adult has one side of the page to read first and then the child reads the other side. My son loves having a role, but it's just the right length/difficulty that he doesn't get frustrated with it. The book is short enough that we can reread it many times and he has already learned to recognize more word ...more
Chiara
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engaging book about a pirate who visits a family of three, a grandmother and two children.
The pirate is on a treasure hunt and explains he needs to dig right under their house. The grandmother sends him away, but he starts digging anyway, and... He finds the treasure! He shares his precious loot with the family.

Great series for beginners. The adult reads the left hand page, while the child reads the right hand page (easier). This is the first book of the Usborne series.
Nice illustrations, too.
Melissa Maynard
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pirate Pat is the first of a set of 15 beginner books. It is set up to allow parents to help their kids learn to read by giving the parents a section to read to their kids and then a section for the kids to read to their parents. At the end is a set of puzzles for the students to demonstrate comprehension, rhyming ability, and knowledge of sight words.
Becca
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, read-in-2018
My 2 year old loves this book. He loves the feeling that he can read.
CJ
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book taught me how to read. Simple as that. I loved this book as a four year and read it almost every day, and I like to read today because of this book. Thank you Pirate Pat!!
Christie Crook
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book. Great for beginning readers.
Carrie
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, children-s
This is a wonderful book for children just learning to read. Each double-page spread has two parts, the story that the grown-up can read on the left, and then a rhyming sentence that the beginning reader can read on the right. What the child reads is a perfect level for my 5 year old (such as "Sit Sam, Sit!") but the fact that most of the story is written for an adult to read allows the story to have a bit more depth.

The book then ends with puzzles for the kids, to make sure they understand the
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pirate Pat is the first book in series designed to help young children develop reading skills.

I really like the shared reading aspect. Parents read a part, and the child reads a part. It's extremely motivating for the child :).

I actually made a video of my son and I reading this book, it'll be up on my facebook page soon.
Kate Hastings
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
Grades K-1. Part of the Usborne Very First Reading series. I LOVE this series. I've been wishing for something similar to the We Both Read series-- and it's finally arrived. This is a great way to encourage reluctant readers to read to (with) an adult.
SLoMoe
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great beginning reader for my son. I appreciated the activities in the back to further his engagement with the book. I look forward to reading the others in the Usborne series. My beginning reader loves the assigned parts so he isn't reading an entire book by himself.
Christina
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love these books as they are a part of the Usborne Very First Reading series. They are great stories and include activities for comprehension, rhyming, word choice, etc at the end of each. Our son loved the whole series!
Amber Melody
Oct 27, 2011
Rocinante
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Usborne Very First Reading (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Double Trouble