Start by marking “Byggmester Solness (Audio CD)” as Want to Read:
Byggmester Solness (Audio CD)

Byggmester Solness (Audio CD)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  2,642 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Byggmester Solness har klatret til topps på karrierestigen på bekostning av andre.

Hans vilje til makt og suksess har forvitret ekteskapet hans. Det har lagt forholdet mellom de to unge ansatte, Ragnar og Kaja, øde fordi han har gitt Kaja forhåpninger om kjærlighet og Ragnar forhåpninger om å få slippe til som arkitekt.

Kaja får ikke kjærlighet, og Solness’ frykt for de unge
Audio CD
Published 2003 by NRK Lydbokforlaget (first published December 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Byggmester Solness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Byggmester Solness

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
So this was third up on my "Read more classic plays" adventure I assigned myself at the beginning of the year. And by a mile, this was my favorite of the three. I love Ibsen's voice and his dynamic characters. I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to read Ibsen, since anytime one studies theatre, his works are always listed among the classics. This play centers around Halvard Solness, a master builder who is just starting to come down from his career peak. Solness is a modern romantic ...more
Haaze
Ibsen comes as a surprise to me as he eloquently weaves conversations between people in his plays. Somehow he manages to unfold intricate psychological relationships between people with an incredible force and at a rapid pace. He also has an ability to add dramatic elements in his acts that rapidly changes the direction of the play as it progresses. I did not have any great expectations approaching a play focused on an architect and his married life, but Ibsen surprised me. I can see how one can ...more
Bettie☯
Connie
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, norway, fall-2014
Halvard Solness is an important architect in Norway. Part of his success is due to the misfortunes of others, and his former rival, Knut Brovik, now works for Solness. Knut's son, Ragnar, is working as Solness' draftsman, and has not been given the opportunity to use his talents as an architect. Solness is also having an affair with Ragnar's fiance, giving Solness a controlling position. It seems like a fable when Solness is convinced that if he wants something badly, he only has to wish for it ...more
Maryam Shahriari
خوشحالم که در سرچ کتابهای معماری به این نمایشنامه برخوردم و بعد هم توانستم در کتابخانهای که عضوش هستم پیدا کنم و بخوانمش.

معماری از آن دسته شغلهاست که چون با آدمی و خواستههایش سر و کار دارد، میتواند توسط همه قشر از افراد جامعه با تخصصهای مختلف مورد بحث قرار بگیرد. این که به دنیای تفکرات معمارانه و آن چه که باعث خالق و ساختشان میشود از دید یک نمایشنامهنویس نگاه شده باشد، برای من جذاب و لذتبخش بود.

هالوارد سولنس شخصیت اول این نمایشنامه استاد معماری است که در سنین میانسالی به سر میبرد و ترس بزرگش نسل
Hadi
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater-books
نگاهی سمبولیستی از ایبسن و جایگاه زن در نمایش نامه های او. زنی که نماد جوانیِ از دست رفته است، زنی که نمادی از زندگی روزمره و احباری یک انسان هنرمند و خلاق می باشد و همچنین زوالی که مستتر در یک زندگیِ ایده آل می تواند وجود داشته باشد. این نمایشنامه مرا به یاد فیلم (great beauty( اثر پائلو سورنتینوی ایتالیایی انداخت.
Daria
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
I think this play and Hedda Gabler are my two Ibsen faves so far. I'm getting the impression that his two beloved drama topics are a) spouses lying to each other and b) crazy people. Give him one, two, three insane characters - heck, let's make the whole cast slightly deranged, why not? - and he can give you a strange and disturbing play which is nevertheless very realistic.

I get it, Ibsen. You're trying to prove we're all mad people at heart. *Hides face in hands*
Mike
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
The Master Builder is a drama about a man trapped between duty and desire, as symbolized by his wife and Hilda, respectively. But he is also trapped between the dreams of his past as a young man and his reality in the present. He stifles the success of his apprentice due to his ego's inability to grapple with his own failings. When Hilda arrives, promising to deliver the "castles in the air" he desires--success, youthful vitality, strength to climb the tower (metaphorically, but also literally), ...more
Chiek Er
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
A Vikings spirit and a robust conscience

Another brilliant play by Ibsen. Next to The Wild Duck, this is my favourite Ibsens play so far. I liked it more than Ghosts and Peer Gynt because of the intense theme behind it. A man with a Vikings spirit and a robust conscience will do things as he pleases and without remorse even if others suffer for his actions. He is an amoral hedonistic man and a menace to his family and to society at large. In some ways, this play reminds me of Dostoyevskys Crime a
Thing Two
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Henrik Ibsen, and this is one of his best. I like the interplay between men/women; between expectation/reality; between husbands/wives/lovers. He captures it all—in a short play I look forward to watching on stage someday soon.
Dominick
The architect protagonist of this rather laboured play is pretty clearly a stand-in for Ibsen himself, which would probably have been evident anyway but which is clearly demonstrated by Meyer's insightful introduction. Architecture functions clearly as a metaphor for literary art, most notably perhaps through the "Castles in the air" conceit that is repeated. The eponymous character is, unsurprisingly, perhaps, rather a prick, a user of others to advance himself. Somewhat daring to paint such an ...more
Matthew
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With The Master Builder, we have a play that hardly justifies its place in the canon of Ibsen's 'realist' plays. True, the characters have motivations based in psychology, and there are no magical elements to the play. Indeed, even the hero's suggestion that he achieves things by willing them could be his imagination, or a symptom of madness, as his wife fears.

However, the behaviour of the characters and the meaning of their action seem to have little basis in reality. Also the play seems to str
Andrés
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the center of The Master Builder is a man who wishes to become a god, something that Ibsen doesn't make difficult to notice through his heavy use of Christian imagery and Norse mythology. Soleness, titled Master Builder, is the aforementioned man who is terribly afraid of the generation to come. His hatred of the material is seen early on in his feeling of helplessness stemming from his belief that he can't change his nature, and it is this hatred of the material that leads to his fixation on ...more
بسام عبد العزيز
مسرحية اجتماعية أخرى لهنريك إبسن يناقش فيها الصراع بين القديم و الحديث..

لدينا المعماري الكبير المشهور.. عبقرية معمارية فذة. و لدينا المعماري الشاب الذي يعمل تحت إمرته...

يحاول المعماري الكبير أن يقتل الطموح داخل المعماري الشاب خوفا من أن ينجح الشاب و يتفوق على أستاذه.. و في سبيل هذا يقوم المعماري الكبير بعمل كل شيء و أي شيء حتى لو كان منافيا للاخلاق..

لم أشعر بأي تعاطف او ارتباط بأية شخصية في المسرحية.. شعرت بها مباشرة بشدة.. مثلها في هذا مثل بيت الدمية ..

في أحيان كثيرة شعرت أن الفكرة الأساسية
Dave
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: assigned
I suppose I could say this largely concerns generational conflict - the old and powerful v. the idealistic youth. But I think it is more about the insecurities of the old and powerful. Insecure about how power was achieved (luck? divine providence?). Insecure about deserving of power. Insecure about the youthful idealism they are surrounded by. After all, we see in the end what happens to the Solness when he tries to live up to the ideals of the young.

Book 1 of P.G./Andrea 2015 assignments.
Christy
This is an easy, light read. Enjoyable and maintained my attention to the very last sentence. As for the story line, its kind of sad to think that a talented man and his sweet wife are unable to move on from the past. God has so much more for us and "greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world". The Master Builder did not need to be tormented by the "devils" in life. The belief that for one to be blessed, someone else must have misfortune is what made him weak. Sad.
Andrea Lakly
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From "A Doll's House" and "Enemy of the People" I thought Ibsen was a trail blazer for creating straightforward (maybe simplistic) works about topics people didn't talk about honestly. This fascinating play complicates and deepens my vision of him. It's about art, yes, but also about youth, age, desire, and knowing yourself. Hilda is fascinating -- an expression of Solness' ego made seductive feminine flesh.
Leslie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, scandinavian
This play is from the end of Ibsen's career and there is a clear difference in style and content from the earlier plays. I have appreciated his wit and social commentary but that was lacking in this play. Instead, there is a possibly mad builder and his relationship with God... If that sounds interesting, you will probably like this.
Rolls
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brutally frank portrait of a self obsessed man in his later years. Soleness is on par with Lear with a mind teetering towards the brink of madness. Teetering is an apt word given Soleness' sad end. Beautiful.
Mike Jensen
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ibsen’s masterpiece is about an old man clinging to youth with disastrous results for himself and others. Do not use this Dover Thrift Edition with its dated translation and inadequate introduction and apparatus. Look for the Penguin or Michael Myers translations instead.
S.Ach
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, scandinavian
This has got to be the best of Ibsen's plays that I have read.
Love. Treachery. Betrayal. Ambition. Fear. Fantasy. Insanity. Remorse. Hedonism. Redemption. Retribution. - All there.

If you are not a feminist, probably, this is the first play you should attempt of Ibsen.
أحمد صــــلاح
لم أكن أعرف أن المسرح يمكن أن"
يصل إلى هذه الدرجة من الجمال والحبكة الرائعة
نحن نظلم المسرح كثيرا
"حين نفضل عليه الروايات
هذا ما دار برأسي الصغير
بعد ان قرأت هذه التحفة من المسرح
Steven
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A meditation on obsession and perfection.
Karna
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75
Edward Cheer
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Master Builder (or "A Master Builder" as my translation is titled) is a play by Henrik Ibsen. This particular edition of the play I'm reading was translated and adapted by Wallace Shawn for the film directed by Jonathan Demme. Strange that Shawn not only adapted the film, but played the main character too. I haven't seen it yet, but from that knowledge alone I am skeptical to see the film.

The Master Builder is an intense character study on the acclaimed master builder Halvard Solness who is
Mark Valentine
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love hating Solness. His pompous arrogance and his philandering and his insecurity make him a cretin and, then, there's that romantic, inspirational charm about him, and a kind of loyalty to his wife that redeems him enough that I hate loving him.

Ibsen's plays earn their fame because each character has complexity, ambiguity, and a backstory that comes out in the playing. The Master Builder demonstrates this. The supporting characters develop as much as the lead.

I once saw it performed at Bre
John Pistelli
In my understanding of Ibsen's career, The Master Builder (1892) belongs to the end of his realist period, where the biological and economic naturalism of such plays as Ghosts and A Doll's House gives way to that infusion of naturalism with symbolism that will go on to characterize so much of modernism. In this, Ibsen returns to his pre-realist roots in such works as Brand and Peer Gynt, which juxtapose the metaphysical and the supernatural with the everyday. Ibsen's great theme, early and late, ...more
Austria Kovalenko
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A play, about a man who is struggling to find joy in his life, especially with all that he has.
A J
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a dark piece of work ...
Ken Moten
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ken by: Hend
Shelves: plays, realism-stuff
"SOLNESS: [Looks despondently at her.]" Building homes for human beings—is not worth a rap, Hilda.

HILDA: Do you say that now?

SOLNESS: Yes, for now I see it. Men have no use for these homes of theirs—to be happy in. And I should not have had any use for such a home, if I had had one. [With a quiet, bitter laugh.] See, that is the upshot of the whole affair, however far back I look. Nothing really built; nor anything sacrificed for the chance of building. Nothing, nothing! the whole is nothing!" -
  • The Father
  • The Hot l Baltimore
  • Other Desert Cities
  • Timon of Athens
  • The Caucasian Chalk Circle
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • The Caretaker
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...
“A talent for building children's souls, Hilde. So building their souls that they might grow straight and fine, nobly and beautifully formed, to their full human stature. That was where Aline's talent lay.” 10 likes
“But he got right to the top. And I heard harps in the air. My - my master builder!” 3 likes