Start by marking “Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)

Kendermore

(Dragonlance: Preludes #2)

Before the War of the Lance, carefree kender Tasslehoff Burrfoot is enjoying the company of his friends at the Inn of the Last Home when a bounty hunter arrives and charges him with desertion for violating the kender laws of prearranged marriage. But Tasslehoff's intended has pulled a disappearing act of her own. The race is on to see who gets dragged to the altar first in ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Kendermore, please sign up.

Start your review of Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
Jasher Drake
This book was FANTASTIC! If you want to see Tasslehoff...
Be late for his wedding, ride a dragon, become friends with a woolly mammoth, be hunted down by a bounty hunter, sing sea shanties, hire a crew of gully dwarves, do a pulley job, be kidnapped by gnomes, get stuck in a huge glass jar, get transported to candy land, stop the dark queen, have dinner at an ogre's house, put out fires with water spouts or steal the dwarf queen's ring, then this book is for you!
Graham
Aug 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
A very disappointing story. On the face of it, this is a fantasy novel set in the Dragonlance world, one of the many preludes to the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy that kickstarted the whole thing. This one features Tasslehoff Burrfoot, a hobbit-style character who was merely comic relief in the original stories, so it had its work cut out from the start.

Unfortunately, Kirchoff decided to make this an out-and-out comedy, and even worse, one aimed at 5-year-olds. Thus we have talking mammoths,
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Meh. I seem to be one of the few people who really liked the character Tasselhoff, but since I started with the "Legends" series I was introduced to him after he'd started to mature as a character. His portrayal in this book is merely two-dimensional. Don't get me wrong, I love reading ABOUT kenders in the Krynn sourcebooks (especially the list of innocent explanations they use when caught stealing. Ex: "Maybe it fell in my pocket."), but having an entire city of half-sized lunatics as main ...more
Jdetrick
These early Dragonlance novels are somewhat disappointing. They aren't bad, but the writing seems a little unpolished, or perhaps written for a slightly younger audience. They also aren't structured the best....this often feels more like a series of unrelated events than it does a novel. Still, there are some enjoyable characters here.
Samantha
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
An okay story for fans of Tasselhoff; though I think there were too many side stories.
Alex
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragonlance
Kender are unique to the Dragonlance setting and there’s one thing that Dragonlance novels have liked to do, thus far, and that’s milk them for all they are worth. Whilst it would have been nice to have seen the preludes tackle a solo adventure with Tasslehoff a bit more akin to the magic ring short story that came earlier, there’s logic –and a lot of mileage - in broadening the scope, introducing us to the kender homelands, more Kender characters and upping the comedy. From time to it’s also ...more
Austin E
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tasslehoff Burrfoot is at Solace with his friends, a dwarf bounty hunter comes while they are talking and tells him he is under arrest. Tasslehoff was suppose to get married to the mayor of Kendermor's daughter. Because he hasn't they are holding his favorite uncle, Trapspringer Furrfoot, in prison. Tasslehoff wants to save his uncle. So he sets off for Kendermore.
The theme for this book is, people should do things before they get in trouble for not doing them. One piece of evidence is that
Mysty Vander
An adventure.

Or two.

Maybe three.

There was a lot of characters who came and went and I found Kirchoff didn't scratch beneath any of their surfaces - including Tasslehoff's. We get a peak that he is more than a "just a kender" only twice, briefly. The whole tale felt dry for a Dragonlance wanderlust and there were several issues of continuity with the main series. The writing is acceptable but doesn't leave much to be intrigued. The ogre, Vinsent, I do wish we saw or spent more time with him
Neil
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It's refreshing to be able to read something without being inspired enough to make notes or pick it apart. This was light reading for the nice weather days that I could sit outside. Those days are as over as this book.
Gisella was my favourite character, so full of life.
This was one of those books where a mixture of stubbornness and inertia got me to the end.
Marianne
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gone
I feel like Preludes 1, with Sturm and Kitiara, would have been a better book about Tasslehoff. Kendermore is about sad serious things, following responsibility, and feels like it's missing the light-hearted banter that would have caught me for a kender book.

If you read both, perhaps imagine Sturm or Kitiara in Tasslehoff's role, and Tasslehoff in Sturm's. It will make more sense.
Daniel
Jun 30, 2019 added it
A collection of small vignettes, could have been more focused.
Samuel Monsees
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish it. I forced myself to read about half the way but even the writing seemed to be written by a Kender; all over the place.
Sunknight
Didn't finish. Way too cutesy with too little structure.
Theshrewedshrew
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragonlance
"What I really need is another minotaur finger bone." Phineas rubbed his face wearily and plopped down on his padded stool. He'd lived around kender long enough to know there was going to be no easy way out of this conversation. "You want me to give you a minotaur bone," he repeated dully.

"From a finger. I would be most grateful," Trapspringer said,holding out his hand expectantly. "You see, my old one was my good luck charm, and I'm certain something dreadful will happen to me unless I replace
David
I would've probably added another star if this book was not set in the Dragonlance setting. Tasslehoff is an interesting character (not that I like kender much) to write about and the book was ok enough to be good light reading. There are places where the dialogue is pretty good and the villains are well-crafted. Purely on the story, there are a few sloppy unresolved plot lines such as what happens to the assassin or the mammoth. The gnomes and gully dwarves, as usual in most Dragonlance books ...more
Avel Rudenko
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kendermore is one of the better book's I've read. I really like Mary Kirchoff's writing and this story is quite amusing (that can be expected with Kender) and it also gives info about Tasslehoff Burrfoot's origins and Kendermore itself, which have been pretty much neglected in previous titles. Tasselhoff is one of my favorite characters and this book does him justice. Was worth the time and the money. The only negative thing I noticed about this book was the lack of preparation for the ending, ...more
Jasmyn
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tasslehoff Burrfoot is a kender, a race known for their light-fighers, fearlessness, and love of a good story. Tasslehoff has been summoned back home to marry, but he's really not too interested in settling down just yet. The mayor sends a bounty hunter off after him and on their way back, they encounter quite an adventure. They travel across the world of Krynn to encountering freak storms on the sea, mad wizards that want to pickle him for their museum, treasure hunters, and a sinister force ...more
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Lana
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
haha the bounty hunter did not know what she was letting herself in for when she vouched to bring tas the kender back to kendermore, she got much more than she bargained for!! Tas as usual is his lovable self, resilient and not ever scared even when facing the most dire of situations!! the kender's love of life and their outlook on life seeing everything as an adventure and being fearless is a good outlook in life I think and I want to become a kender!! The gully dwarfs where a great laugh but ...more
Selena
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a very cutesy read--don't expect anything epic, because it's not. It's the telling of Tasslehoff the Kender and his unceremonious return home for marriage. If you aren't familiar with Kenders, imagine a race of 5-year olds with ADD and have had waaaaaay too much sugar. If you are looking for an easy, funny read to pass the time, this is it. If you are looking for epic battles or a sterling example of fantasy, then skip this one.

Overall, I liked it. It was nice. Not thrilling, but nice.
Katrin
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. I love the character of Kender more than of Hobbits and it was a joy to read this tale, accompanied with many laughs. Kirchoff's imagination is stunning and it's remarkable what a complex story is told in this rather small book, without rushing! The wide range of characters, the concept of Kendermore city, the adventures.. I loved it all! I still have two unread books from the Dragonlance saga and this here makes me excited for them!
Jim C
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
A novel based in the world of Dragonlance. This novel is about Tasselhoff who is a kender and one of the original characters in the first trilogy. This book takes place 5 years before that trilogy. This was just an average read. The author didn't completely nail the character and I thought different plotlines were out of place to the story. I would only recommend this book if you are a serious fan of dragonlance.
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Back when I was in Grade 11, I devoured everything Dragonlance I could find. Friends and I traded them, and we created characters and adventures that tied into them in our D&D campaigns. I didn't love this one (I was not the kender lover of my group), and found the "random chaos of kender foiling great evil" a bit frustrating. That said, I was such a Dragonlance addict I devoured it in one sitting anyway.
Tiffany
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
It kind of lost me along the way. It was just too random, and I didn't care enough about the characters. I quit halfway through, right about when the plotline quit making sense. Besides that, I felt like the regular Dragonlance characters got out of character a lot. Tasslehoff was way too solemn, and the author emphazised Tanis' good looks way too much. I mean, sure, he's adorable, but she just went on and on... I think it's pretty clear who her favorite is. =)
Meels
This only got three stars, because Tas happens to be my favorite of the DL characters and the whole book was about him. (Even have a cat named Tasslehoff Burrfoot...Tas)

HOWEVER, once the DL books begin to be written by other authors than the original pair...they're relatively crap. This is MUCH better than the Jean Rabe books though.
Lucas Rodriguez
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kendermore, is, overall a good book for those who prefer action and adventure. Tasslehoff Burrfoot (a kender) is caught by a dwarf being told to bring Tasslehoff back to get married. Along the way they meet dwarves of every kind, an Ogre, a half human, a semi- insane human doctor, a Woolly mammoth, and a bunch of fat Kender in candyland.
nimrodiel
from the very first time I read a Dragonlance book, Kenders have been among my favorite of the races found on Krynn. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure of Tasslehoff Burrfoot's. It took us over the world of Krynn, foreshadowed events that would eventually happen to Raistlin in later stories (with the gully dwarves), and let us see what Kenderhome was like.
Bert Janssens
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Entertaining but not as funny as Tasslehof in the other Dragonlance books.

This book seems to be intended for a younger audience. The horny female dwarf that is killed off in the middle of the book seems entirely out of place in this story though...
Elar
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Same as first book. It should be prelude, but reveals too much of the main series details and then in real series characters act like they do not have related information. So read only after main series.
Joe H.
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed most of the dragon lance series but there are a few that are especially entertaining and this is one of them. I highly recomend this book. I can't stress enough how much I would recomend this book for a younger reader. It is one of the funniest adventures a young person can read.

• Kindred Spirits (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #1)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
  • Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
  • Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes (Dragonlance: Tales I, #2)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Love and War (Dragonlance: Tales I, #3)
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • The Soulforge (Dragonlance: Raistlin Chronicles, #1)
  • Steel and Stone (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #5)
  • Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #1)
  • Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #1)
  • Brothers in Arms (Dragonlance: Raistlin Chronicles, #2)
  • The Second Generation (Dragonlance: The Second Generation, #1)
  • Dragons of a Lost Star (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #2)
  • The War of the Lance (DragonLance: Tales II, #3)
Mary L. Kirchoff (b. 1959) is an American author of fantasy and young adult novels.

Dragonlance: Preludes (6 books)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes, #4; Preludes II, #1)
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)
“Come all you young fellows who live by the sea, Kiss a fair maiden and then follow me. Hoist up the sail and the anchor aweigh, And run with the wind out through Balifor Bay.” 0 likes