Start by marking “Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family” as Want to Read:
Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Ninety-nine percent of the time the world spins like a top, the skies are clear, and your refrigerator is full of milk and cheese. But know with certainty that the world is a dangerous place. Storms rage, fires burn, and diseases spread. No one is ever completely safe. Not you. Not your children. We all live as part of a very complex ecosystem that is unpredictable and wil ...more
Published July 9th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family

Rebekah
This book has a ton of useful information, but it falls flat because it assumes certain things about the reader that aren’t necessarily accurate:

1. You live in a house.
2. You own the house you live in.
3. You’re a dude. (The author doesn’t explicitly say “Hey, gents,” but there are several times when he seems to forget that women could also be reading this book and appears to be addressing men directly. This doesn’t take away from the information he’s providing, I just find it annoying.)

I live i
Lana
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of useful information but I didn't really like the way it was organized.
Sheryl Stinchcum
"Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family" offers an encompassing overview of how to survive and cope with disasters--natural and man-made.

Arthur Bradley takes a logical approach without bordering on hysteria. He reasons that the type of disaster you might face could depend upon where you live. For example, if you live on the coast, you would be more concerned with hurricanes than other types of disasters.

In the event of a disaster, Bradley makes you think about how you would
Nathanael Coyne
An excellent, balanced, practical guide to preparing for and surviving disasters. The first half of the book is the most useful - I skimmed the latter half as some of it wasn't particularly relevant or useful to me such as radiological hazards, firearms and I have better resources for first aid. It is US-biased so some of the resources listed, mentions of NOAA weather radio etc aren't applicable outside the US but overall it's applicable in all countries and well worth a read. The author doesn't ...more
Zander Brown
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really a useful book for those of us who don't live a preppers life but want to understand how to survive. its all about planning for the most likely thing to happen to you. not the wildly unrealistic. if that happens only the compounds will survive but its not likely. I enjoyed and very much value the simplicity and ingenuity of this book.
Trace
Dec 21, 2011 marked it as to-read
2012 Booklist
Lisa
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
one of the best books of this type I have read.
Rick Willard
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Essential Bushcraft
  • Doomsday Diaries
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets &Parents
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing  Smoking Meat, Fish  Game
  • Molon Labe! -- Come and Take Them!
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
Events have made me who I am, neither a hardcore survivalist nor an all-trusting soul. I am a Boy Scout in the truest sense of the word—dedicated to family, country, and good citizenship. As you may already know, an enabling element of those ideals is being prepared.

It took the horrific events of 9/11 to wake me from my routine complacency. In one single moment, I came to realize that our world is
More about Arthur T. Bradley...