Start by marking “Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing” as Want to Read:
Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing

Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing

For the first time a book is available which clearly explains the principles and practical applications of Ayurveda, the oldest healing system in the world. This beautifully illustrated text thoroughly explains history & philosophy, basic principles, diagnostic techniques, treatment, diet, medicinal usage of kitchen herbs & spices, first aid, food aid, food antidot ...more
Published January 1st 1984 by Lotus Press (WI)

To ask other readers questions about Ayurveda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ayurveda

Start your review of Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing
Laura Zurowski
I would recommend this text only after gaining some introductory knowledge or experience with Ayurveda.

A few months back, after consulting with an Ayurvedic doctor in my city for dietary advice to combat seasonal affective disorder, I read Eat-Taste-Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living by Thomas Yarema, Daniel Rhoda, and Johnny Brannigan. That book, combined with information provided by the doctor, helped set the stage for getting the most out of this text and moving my understanding o
Sara Alaee
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ayurveda illuminates the basic laws governing life on earth. To understand it is to understand the forces that engender our well-being. It is an ancient system of wisdom that encompasses the vast horizon where human consciousness merges into Cosmic Consciousness. This brief introductory book attempts to introduce readers to the life science in an understandable manner. However, with many raised questions still unanswered I hope for a more comprehensive book. (Any recommendations would be appreci ...more
David
This was such a quick and enaging book that gives an overview of ayurveda and practical tips for improving health and consciousness. It has wonderful charts and clear explanations of ayurvedic health techniques, like nasal massage, diet recommendations, finding your own constitution, and simple yoga postures. All of this with a basic explanation of the philosophy behind ayurveda ("The Science of Daily Life").

If you are at all curious to BEGIN learning about ayurveda I found this to b
Vaishali
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The primer for basic principles of ayurveda.
Gina
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's tempting to just write "hogwash" and be done with it, but I don't want to be that disrespectful either to another culture or to someone who based on his acknowledgments seems like a really nice guy.

That being said, I started having concerns early on with the different body types when there seemed to be so much preference given to one type. Usually they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but this felt lop-sided and maybe a little racist. Other things didn't sit right, but t
JD
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Am I a doctor now? That’s how this book made me feel. Enjoyed learning about my pulse being like a swan.
Jason Prasad
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been practicing yoga's sister ayurveda for a few months now and am absolutely loving it! Finding out that I'm kapha dominant has made a massive difference to my energy levels, digestion, yoga. It's been great to know that many of the things I've learned to do intuitively has already been laid out in ayurveda, and it's as if someone's already understood and done the rest of my homework for me! I've been learning through sharing articles and guidance by friends. Read this book this week, it w ...more
Jule
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leben
This is a great introduction in case you want to learn about ayurveda without prior experience. It is a concise read that outlines the major concepts and principles of vedic science. When i get sick, have some kind of health issue or am looking for advice on lifestyle more generally i like to search the index and table of contents and start from there. I always find this book very insightful and have it at hand.
Debra Brunk
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first I've read on Ayurveda and the topic/field is very interesting. However, I felt like this book 'dumped' a bunch of terms and I was left floundering trying to put all the information together in a logical way. If you're just getting started in this area, I would try to find another book that takes the time to go into some of the history and details.
Andrew
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Andrew by: Elisa
Excellent, goes well beyond the simple lists of balancing foods for each dosha, but explains the theory behind them. Branches out into appropriate asanas, waking practices, eating patterns and delves somewhat into more advanced learning. (gunas, etc.)
Shala
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
For me it was a quick read. i gobbled up all the information and I'm looking forward to knowing more. i think the author did a great job outlining the major parts of Ayurveda medicine. His methods of delivery was very clear. i think this is a great beginner book.
Natalia
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I definitely recommend it to someone that's looking for an introduction of Ayurveda. It was really interesting to me. Very complete.
Scott
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Informative intro to the subject. Esp liked the section that addresses understanding from a western perspective. Gave me lots of ideas of practical stuff to incorporate into my daily life.
Chanti
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Good text, but I like Lad's other book (Complete Home Remedies) more. Still, one can never have too many Ayruvedic texts :)
Aurore Henze
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: natural-health
A very simple Ayurvedic book- too simple in my opinion, but it gives a very good understanding about the meridians and diagnostics such as urine, tongue and pulse diagnosis.
Alex
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga-books
A good introduction for anyone interested in learning about Ayurveda for the first time.
Robin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book conveys what I see as a very classical version of the Ayurvedic science. While I am sure that the practices outlined in the book have been helpful to people over the centuries, I think some of them would be hard to transfer to the lives of most Americans. There is definitely some wisdom to the Ayurvedic system, but our fast paced American life and the practices of our culture would make it hard to faithfully adhere to the Ayurvedic practices. It would mean a complete shift in lifestyle ...more
Unisauros
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow. This was like a fantasy info-dump. I love how people keep calling Ayurveda and Yoga sciences without knowing (or attempting to define!) what science actually means. I also love how toxins keep coming up and that I now know dozens of ways to get rid of them without ever learning what they are. I love the physiognomy etc. that is continuously proven wrong with easy black-swan examples and which is only slightly racist.
Don't get me wrong, Ayuveda was a world view that at some point might have
Minna
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hippie, best-of-2019
I must own a physical copy of this book immediately. Others are correct in stating that the reader needs a fundamental introduction to Ayurveda prior to picking this up, but for those who do, I can not recommend this quick guide enough.
Christina Wiseman
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
While no one can hope to fully understand an ancient belief system from one book, I hoped to gain a basic layman’s knowledge. The author tried, but too often went down tangent paths difficult for me to follow (and remember).
Hannah Henson
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very informative. Touched on a little bit of everything that Ayurveda has to offer, much like a beginner's course. Definitely opened the door for me to delve deeper into this ancient science. I'm intrigued.
Anagha Lokhande
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is like an overview on the comprehensive knowledge of Ayurveda and will open your eyes to the basic laws of living. Also contains some home remedies and diagnostic guidance!
Rachel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting more and more drawn to the ideas of ayurveda with books like this. I truly believe in this way of healing, both physically and emotionally.
Delia
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book explains very well Ayurveda and the ways our bodies can heal themselves if we become aware of our individual constitution (vata-pitta-kapha).
I truly recommend this book!
Kristin Gubler
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to Ayurvedic principals; quick read.
Keerthi Vikas
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Noah Skocilich
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good matter of fact intro survey of Ayurvedic medicine.
Abhishek
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It is remarkable how the author has managed to capture Ayurvedas essence in such a simple reading. Chalk full of medicinal home made recipes for daily common ailments. Very insightful and useful.
Erin
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good introduction to Ayurveda and was recommended to me by an Ayurveda practictioner that game to the yoga studio I practice at. I've got a few more books to read on the subject and I'm hoping to answer some of the questions I still have about Ayurveda. This is a very fascinating subject though.
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Reading it was interesting, since it was a subject completely unfamiliar to me. I found myself taking detailed notes, actually - which is something I never do. I think the descriptions of the three individual constitution types were most interesting, as I identified very closely with one of them. Overall, I formed a favorable opinion of the practice.

Essential Ayurvedic Tips For A Glowing Pores and skin 1 2 Apr 02, 2018 05:51AM

• The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • Ayurveda 101: Ayurveda Basics for The Absolute Beginner [Achieve Natural Health and Well Being through Ayurveda]
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • The Yamas  Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
An Indo-American Ayurvedic Physician, Vasant Lad brought a wealth of classroom and practical experience in Ayurveda to the United States. A native of India, he served for three years as Medical Director of the Ayurveda Hospital in Pune, India. He was Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Pune University College of Ayurvedic Medicine for 15 years. He holds a Bachelor’s of Ayurvedic Medicine and Sur ...more