Start by marking “Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization” as Want to Read:
Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization

Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization

Yoga and Ayurveda together form a complete approach for optimal health, vitality and higher awareness. YOGA AND AYURVEDA reveals to us the secret powers of the body, breath, senses, mind and chakras. More importantly, it unfolds transformational methods to work on them through diet, herbs, asana, pranayama and meditation. This is the first book published in the West on the ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Lotus Press (WI)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga and Ayurveda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga and Ayurveda

Dedrick
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
This book probably accurately conveys the intricacies of the philosophies. However, I had a hard time with the content. It was a lot of description of systems that felt like it was meaningless to me. Lots of details but very little identification with any of the information. Maybe this view just isn't for me, but I feel like something that has applications should be able to describe the experiences of a practice in more detail and reveal the system details in that context of application.
Victoria Klein
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The topic of Ayurveda has been mentioned on my blog a few times, but this is the first book I’ve read + reviewed with a major focus on the topic - exciting! I’m glad to say that David Frawley’s book doesn’t disappoint.

As you can gleam from the title, this book isn’t purely about the medical science of Ayurveda, but specifically Ayurveda’s relation + inherent connection to yoga.

Ayurveda is the Vedic science of healing for both body and mind. Yoga is the Vedic science of Self-realization that depe
Sarah Belle
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
An awesome overview with a wealth of information about the holistic sister sciences, Yoga and Ayurveda. I love the many topics covered, especially the yoga practices recommended for the three doshas (mind/body types)! Being "vata", I could definitely use a focused practice and found the advice offered very helpful.
Lisa
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Way too esoteric for me. The concepts aren't that difficult, but Frawley made them more confusing and elaborate than they need to be.

I'll use this for reference, but if you're looking for a basic overview of ayurveda, this is not a great choice.
Tom
Sep 20, 2009 added it
Lots of good information (if you're into this sort of thing), and I'd be inclined to rate it highly, except for a nagging doubt about underlying "scholarship".

Namely, the chapter on yoga asanas contains a numbers of asana descriptions, many with accompanying drawings. Unfortunately, the drawings are clearly cribbed from the corresponding photographs in the book Yoga the Iyengar Way by Mehta, Mehta and Mehta. Moreover, the illustrations' source book is not included in the bibliography. This is ex
Sarah Thomas Gulden
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book for people unfamiliar with or new to the subject matter, but for people with a little background already, David Frawley provides an extraordinary treasure-trove of information. And beyond just acquiring knowledge through his books, if you read this carefully, it can help open up your own deep intuitive knowledge.
Francine
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my 3rd or 4th book on Ayurveda. It is thorough; discussions of mind, body are indepth. Also, discussions of diet, exercise, yoga poses, meditation as appropriate to each body type.
Adithi Mathews
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book by my teacher a very wise Yogi. And this will be one book I can surely recommend to every yoga practitioner or anyone interested in Ayurveda and holistic living. I've had the good blessing to meet Frawley in person last year and having listened to him speak and share his deep passion for ancient healing science - Ayurveda, one can only be motivated to rush straight and buy all his books. This book I would say is compact and precise touching upon the most essential the ...more
Carol
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
This book leaves the reader with a clear understanding of the relationship between yoga and ayurveda. The more I read about gunas, doshas, tejas, ojas, nadis, etc, the more I begin to understand. Yoga and ayurveda are very complex which is what one would expect of sciences that are thousands of years old. My favorite chapter was that on asanas because that is what I understand the most. It all makes so much sense!
Kerry
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Borrowed from a friend, read while recovering from 'flu, so not one of my deeper investigations of philosophy.

Interesting, but very prescriptive, and as I don't adhere to faith in 'invisible friends', a lot of the insistence that physical health must be aided in Ayurveda by worshipful practice just annoyed me.

Some very useful ideas about diet and yoga practice, which I may follow up in further reading.
Amanda
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the compliments of the health science of ayurveda and the consciousness science of yoga. I was re-aligned towards higher consciousness at Bhakti Fest OMmersion especially from the classes of Mas Vidal. This book is packed with information I'm using in my yoga classes, pranayama, mantra, meditation and asana suited for the different doshas.
carrie
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This was helpful, but a bit abstract in some ways. I think a better editor would have made this book's language more approachable for the average person. I'm looking for more by this author because he's an expert but I'm not sure if I should.
Bryon Medina
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All yogis
Recommended to Bryon by: Daren Freisen
The ayurvedic principles I learned from this book improved my yoga practice and overall well being emmediatey.
This book is packed with information that leaves you wanting to learn more about this deep and useful practice rooted in the Vedic tradition of India.
Saya
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
I read this book for my book report for YTT 200. This book introduced me to the world of Ayurveda, which I did not have much knowledge before. It also helped me to understand how the knowledge of Ayurveda can help in practice of yoga as well as teaching yoga.
Jenny
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
First few chapters were hard to read. I'm glad I stuck with it. There is a lot if useful information here that I'm sure I will refer back to sometimes.
Sarah P
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really good introduction to Ayurveda and how it can support a daily yoga practice. I don't often read books like this, but was very impressed.
Candace Jensen
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At first it seemed completely inaccessible, however this is officially now one of my "go-to" books on my yoga shelf. The sections on the doshas, the gunas and mantra were particularly enlightening.
Terra Wolski
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of info in this one! excellent reference! It WILL be part of my "OWN" collection in the future! :)
Shawn
really enjoyed
Karen Fournier-foley
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love the book, easy to digest and covers an incredible amount of information in a tight package.
Fizzahrah
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
a deeper knowledge on integrated yoga and ayurveda
Tiffaney
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yoga
This book has a lot of great information, but it reads like stereo instructions. And it's not even that useful, since the book isn't actually telling you how to do anything. It's simply giving information. "This does this, that does that," over and over again. There's barely even any diversity in the language.

A really poor showing.
Isabel
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is an excellent book, with lots of good information about yoga and Ayurveda, it took me some time to finish it. This is not a book for people unfamiliar with or new to the subject matter, but for people with a little background already.
Sonja Nakhai
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth reading even for people like me, who are as spiritual as a doornail :)
Shruti Bakshi
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and clear guide to yoga and ayurveda. The book is logically structured which makes these otherwise technical areas easy to understand and apply in one's life.
Kara Troglin
I am keeping this one!

I love how informative this book is. Its my second time reading it And it won't be my last. I'm keeping this one for references
Isabelle
Yoga & Ayurveda now in Spanish 1 2 May 01, 2012 08:10AM
  • Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Textbook of Ayurveda Vol. 1. Fundamental Principles of Ayurveda
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
David Frawley (or Vāmadeva Śāstrī वामदेव शासतरी), b. 1950, is an American Hindu teacher (acharya) and author, who has written more than thirty books on topics such as the Vedas, Hinduism, Yoga, Ayurveda and Vedic astrology, published both in India and in the United States. He is the founder and director of the American Institute of Vedic Studies in Santa Fe, New Mexico, which offers educational in ...more