Start by marking “Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)

Dream Lake

(Friday Harbor #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  11,928 ratings  ·  1,264 reviews
They say that opposites attract. But what happens when one has been devastated by betrayal and the other is so jaded that his heart is made of stone? Enter the world of Friday Harbor, an enchanting town in the Pacific Northwest where things are not quite as they seem and where true love might just have a ghost of a chance….

Alex Nolan is as bitter and cynical as they come.
Published August 7th 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Lake, please sign up.
Kristy You can read the series out of order and you should be just fine! I did that with Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor #2) and I was fine. The author does a…moreYou can read the series out of order and you should be just fine! I did that with Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor #2) and I was fine. The author does a good job of tying everything together while still explaining the characters' connections to each other with limited confusion! I hope you enjoy your first Friday Harbor book!(less)

·  11,928 ratings  ·  1,264 reviews

Start your review of Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
A.
2.5 Meh Stars

This was my first LK book and I can't really say that I'm impressed.

The whole ghost thing was kind of ridiculous, not really adding to the excitement of the story or the depth of the book.

The writing was dull and I didn't really care for the characters.

Maybe I chose the wrong book to start with.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Lisa Kleypas has made me fall in love with many of her heroes – Kev Merripen, Derek Craven, Sebastian St. Vincent, Jack Travis – now I can add Alex Nolan to this list.

I felt that Zoe and Alex were a great match for one another. Though they bicker with one another often, it showed people how willing they were to deal with one another even though they are difficult. I find it more interesting to have a couple work at being in a relationship than reading about one that falls so easily into place.

Zo
Jill
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

The best so far in the Friday Harbor series, but....

Zoe Hoffman is a great cook, her creations are almost magical. With her grandmother needing full-time care, Zoe takes on the responsibility, renovating her cottage. Alex, the youngest Nolan brother is in a bad place. With his marriage break-up and now financially broke, Alex is spiraling down into alcoholism. Zoe hires Alex to renovate the cottage.

As with the previous books in this series there are some paranormal elements to the contemporary s
Mo
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been looking forward to reading about Alex Nolan. He seemed to be the most tortured of the Nolan brothers. I love a tortured hero, one who is not looking for love and goes out of his way to avoid it ... but, eventually, is brought to his knees by a strong woman.

“A woman could do that to you - reach that place in your soul where the best and worst of you was kept. And once she was there, she owned that place and never left.”

Alex was great with his hands (nod, nod, wink, wink)! Seriousl
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 Stars*

This story was sweet, touching, and magical...and the writing—impeccable. The characters were so well-rounded and complete; I just adored them all!

"You and I both got it wrong, Alex: Love does last. In fact...it's the only thing that does."

Alex: Brooding, sexy, gorgeous, tortured but not beyond redemption, complete with a hidden softer side ... What more could a girl want?

Zoe: Beautiful, sweet, caring, shy but not to a fault, not to mention her cooking which is literally m
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Lisa Kleypas has certainly put some magic in her work, on the page and out of it <3 Dream Lake is the best book from this series! (yet anyway lol)

The first two were very good, but they just didn't have that something for me. Dream Lake certainly did Photobucket

The story - Well, it was pretty slow in developing, it kinda got me frustrated because I wanted to see some action lol, but was I ever wrong! Almost the entire first half of the book is building the characters, and it was so superbly done, I had
Lisa Kay
Dream Lake, Washington

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Dream Lake is narrated by Jeff Cummings who does NOT seem to be the right fit for this one. Not a great job, but not a disaster, either. An “okay” performance. I’d probably like him better reading something else, as he has a nice voice. Here he falls a little short due to making Zoe sound a bit too “wispy” – a common trait among male narrators trying to do female voices; though, he does a fair job on Zoe’s grandmother, “Upsie.” Whi
Karen
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Someday she would tell him how she felt about him, and he would leave her. He would break her heart the way people did when their own hearts had been broken long ago. But that didn’t change anything.
Love would have its way.

So I think I have to say that Alex *sigh*, is my favorite of the Nolan brothers so far. The perfect bad boy, black sheep, tortured hero you could wish up. Completely jaded, gorgeous, and battling some pretty horrific demons. And let's not forget his raging alcohol
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Magical realism romance readers, Contemporary romance with paranormal elements readers
Dream Lake Review (finally)

I was excited to read Alex’s story and I was not disappointed. Alex out of all the Nolans grabbed my heart and squeezed it, wouldn’t let it go. Alex has traits that make him my kryptonite. I adored him. He’s tortured and grumpy. He’s described as having a ruined beauty that women can’t resist, but he’s not a womanizer. While having a broken beau is nothing a woman should aspire to in life, broken heroes seem to appeal to me like no other. I loved seeing Alex’s damaged
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
I really loved this book and it is my favourite in the Friday Harbor series so far. It's an original and charming story of two unlikely people who find love with a little help from a very outspoken ghost, with a bittersweet love story of his own to tell. If, like me, you love fantasy movies like Ghost and Just Like Heaven, you’re sure to love this book.

I do have an insatiable craving for brooding, emotionally tortured heroes and Alex more than satisfied that craving. He acts a complete ass, at
Mary
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy LK's contemporary books and this one is no exception. It is the third book in the Friday Harbor book series. This one is Alex Nolan and Zoe Hoffman's story. No two people could be more unlike one another but be meant for each other. This is a sweet love story between two people who have been hurt in the past by the ones they love. Zoe still believes in love but Alex does his best to avoid it. They do get some help along the way from a ghost who has his own story to finish. I laugh ...more
Crista
5 HUGE*****Stars

Dream Lake, Lisa Kleypas's newest installment in the awesome Friday Harbor series, simply blew me away. Lisa Kleypas has a way of spinning a tale so tight, that you become completely immersed in the story. I had plans for today, but after reading the first chapter of this book, I canceled those plans and spent the day reading. It was time well spent.

The first three chapters serve as background for the entire series, so this book could be read as a stand alone. However, this serie
[Aengell]
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars – mild spoilers ahead

Dream Lake is one of my favorites Lisa Kleypas books. I can only try to explain the magic this story creates every time I read it. And although this series isn’t very popular among LK-fans, I can definitely recommend this installment to anyone out there.

There are so, so many aspects about this book that I love, and I will try to put my chaotic thoughts into something that resembles order.

Alex and Zoë are one of Lisa Kleypas’ best couples. Why? Because they are so,
Liz* Fashionably Late
2.5 Stars

Guess who can't stop reading this evil series?

So… it's not magical realism anymore. There's a ghost POV. A ghost POV. This is paranormal now? Who cares! The truth is, I like the people in this story and I wanted to make sure they were okay o_O

So, I'll be brief.

The formula was okay... two books ago. Now it's just boring.

Take one of the brothers with trust issues and non commitment habits PLUS a beautiful yet single girl, brokenhearted, betrayed or just unselfish enough = Voilà! Any F
Dale Harcombe
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
I’m not one who is really into books about ghosts but this book starts with a ghost who is unable to leave the house. For some reason I was curious enough to keep reading. In fact the ghost didn’t even know who he was, until long after Sam Nolan buys the house and his brother Alex comes to inspect it. To the ghost’s surprise it appears Alex can hear and see him. That is not the only trouble the hard drinking, bitter and cynical Alex gets into when he meets the sweet and ge
Regina
Now this book approaches the greatness of Lisa Kleypas of the Hathaways, Wallflowers and Travis series -- not quite as good as those, but definitely much better than the first two in the Rainshadow Road series.

This book was fun, good, and sexy. I loved it. I listened to the audio and it was read by a very sexy sounding male narrator. My one complaint is how the narrator read the female voices, but in the end ... the story was written so well and performed so well it was forgivable.

The first tw
Keri
This was a really sweet read. Alex, due to childhood trauma is completely shut down emotionally. In fact emotions of any kind tend to make him panic, because he doesn't know how to handle them. Zoe is full of emotions and is the complete opposite of him. She is sunshine to his dark and he knows he is no good for her. But when they get together they spark like crazy. Alex thinks his is going crazy when he realizes he has a ghost haunting him. What does he want and why won't he quit nagging him ab ...more
Mary
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this series too quickly. The first book in the series is my favorite but I gave this one 5 stars because it hit me quite hard emotionally. I'm on to book 4, this one I will try and take a little slower. Or maybe not.
Jess
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

“At first I wasn’t all that tempted by him, but then he killed the spider. Which was a huge point in his favor.”

“Absolutely. I love men who kill bugs.”

“And then when I was freaking out and couldn’t breathe, he was so…gentle.” Zoe sighed and colored, remembering. “He was holding me, and talking to me in that voice…you know, sort of low and rough around the edges…”

“All the Nolans sound like that,” Justine said reflectively. “Like they’ve got a mild case
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Dream lake was an emotional book from beginning to end and I loved every minute of it, every tear and every smile. Alex has been through the ringer. Everything that could go wrong for him has. His wife divorced him, she's selling the house that he lives in, business is slow, and he's becoming an alcoholic like his parents. He is not in a good place and definitely not where he should be to meet a good girl.

But he does. And Zoe is sweet and understanding,
Kelly22
4.00 Stars – Contemporary Small Town Romance.

We head back to Friday Harbor to visit the third Nolan brother Alex Nolan’s story. Once again Kleypas fluently pens down exquisite story-telling at its best with subtle yet larger-than-life characters who accomplish to hold a permanent place in your memories like a DREAM.

Alex is a cynical, broken and wrecked younger brother in the Nolan’s family, haunted by a tremulous childhood and disruptive divorce. Zoe Hoffman, a lovable baker of the town, hires
Helena
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had no right to attack my feels like this.
Irene Sim
I loved most this book in the series, I can't resist a bitter hero, who finaly opens up his heart in the end. I loved the paranormal side in this series (not something that LK has done before) it's a little on the heavy side in this book, but it worked in the end.
Mimi Smith
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This may not be a standard romance, may be more women's fiction than romance, but I liked it a lot. Lisa Kleypas can write all right. But this series is definitely not my favorite by her.

"A wedding is a ceremony where a symbolic virgin surrounded by women in ugly dresses marries a hungover groom accompanied by friends he hasn’t seen in years but made them show up anyway. After that, there’s a reception where the guests are held hostage for two hours with coated almonds, and the DJ tries t
valee
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cont-romance
Let's make it quick and entertaining, here are the reasons for why this book is a must read:

1)Very funny characters:

-The hero
It’s a relief now that it’s over. She’s great, but I couldn’t handle all the emotion salad.” “What’s emotion salad?” Mark asked, amused. “You know that thing women do. The happy-crying thing. Or the sad-mad thing. I don’t get how anyone can have more than one feeling at a time. It’s like trying to simultaneously watch TVs on different channels.”

“Pie for breakfast?” “Why
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
This is one of the best ghost stories I've ever read. The characters are fantastic.

Zoe is one of those people who is Nice with a capital 'N'. Warm and kind and loving and giving, yet life has never done anything to reward that. She cooks like a goddess, and is trapped in a Betty Boop body so nice fellas don't take a chance on her. The rest of the guys expect that she has no brain. The worst part is that she is drawn to the kind of bad boy who is guaranteed to be terrible for her. Her ex-husband
LaFleurBleue
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
My rating for this book would range between 2 and 4 stars according to the chapters / paragraphs, as there were things I really liked, some others I did not care for and lastly some that simply irked me. And my feelings all along the reading kept changing between those.
First, let me start with the magic, paranormal, ghost part; I usually never care for that, it was quite nicely done, though it took too large a part of the book. The moments I preferred were the ones when the dialogue with the gho
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
While the third in a series, the others feature relatively lightly. You'll probably wonder at their stories and there's some definite cross-over so if you're the type to wonder, you might want to start at the beginning.

I was really worried about Alex' story. He's such a bitter loser on a downward spiral in the other stories and that's certainly where he starts out here. Mostly, I was concerned I'd be in for a book of overwrought pain and stupidity and excuses for bad behavior. And while Kleypas
Thenia
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story of Alex, a deeply unhappy man who finds solace in a bottle, and Zoe, a romantic cook who hires him to renovate her grandmother's cottage.

The two couldn't be more different and rub each other the wrong way, and the mysterious ghost that haunts Alex that nobody else can see is doing nothing to help his surly disposition, either.

Zoe is a gentle and caring woman with self-esteem issues, while Alex is traumatized both by his childhood with two drunks, and his ex-wife, so he considers himsel
Seena Seena
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fav-s
"You are everything that's ever been my favorite thing, you are my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby's laugh. You're a snow angel, creme brule, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you'll never catch up, because I've gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed"

What an amazingly beautiful story. Everything flowed so gracefully and effortlessly that before I knew it I finished the book.

Kleypas is truly a magician with her
We Love Lisa Kleypas: Dream Lake (Release Date: August 7, 2012) 75 121 Aug 19, 2015 11:47AM
Dream Lake VS Inn Boonsboro 1 9 Apr 07, 2015 08:29PM
Romance Lovers fo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas, starts 15th September 87 54 Sep 21, 2012 01:27PM

• First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • Hazard (Company of Rogues, #8)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Belong To The Night (The Long Island Coven #2)
  • Some Like It Wicked (Kincaid Highland, #1)
  • Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Too Hot to Handle (Jackson Hole, #2)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • Dance Away with Me
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)

Friday Harbor (5 books)
  • Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1)
  • Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)
  • Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)
  • Lightning Bay (Friday Harbor)