Start by marking “Please, Daddy, No” as Want to Read:
Please, Daddy, No

Please, Daddy, No

Stuart just wanted his father to love him, but he was made to believe he was too naughty to be loved. Finally, David Howarth was sent to prison for abusing Stuart's young sisters. Nobody knew the truth about Stuart's abuse until one fateful day when his father tried it again and Stuart fought back in the only way he knew how.
Stuart Howarth spent the first 30 years of his l
Published May 1st 2007 by Harper Element (first published October 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Please, Daddy, No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Daddy, No

Start your review of Please, Daddy, No
Julie
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julie by: Myself
Once I picked this book up I couldn't put it down. This is a true story.
When I read this book I just wanted to give Stuart a cuddle and tell him he was a good boy, and I just wanted to hurt his father for the abuse that he was giving to those children. He didn't deserve to be a father in anyway, shape or form.
This book is about the child abuse that Stuart and his sisters went through at the hand of their stepdad and the life that Stuart lead in prison after killing his stepdad. All he wanted w
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This shocking book tells a story that could have been prevented, and Stuart's writing is filled with brutal honesty and a surprising amount of deep understanding.
Kathy
Pleas Daddy No

This was a wonderful book but very disturbing. It breaks my heart that young children have to be victims of anybodies abuse let alone somebody they look to as a father figure. How terribly sad for all of these children. I am so happy this young man who suffered greatly was able to straighten out his life and learn some happiness. God bless the people who stood by his side and help him think better of himself. Such a sad story..
Jun 02, 2014 added it
My dad knew Stuart Howarth when he was a teenager and so that fact made this more even more shocking and real for me.
H
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Stuart is a very brave man to write about his experiences at the hand of a child abuser and at the hands of the British prison system. Very admirable that despite his start in life and all the problems he has faced with depression and PTSD that he has still managed to maintain a job and eventually a healthy relationship with someone who loves him.
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
One of the more superior true life memoirs documenting a truly horrific childhood. I cannot rate this book highly enough. I felt the authors pain and torment at the hands of his abusive stepfather, and unlike many other childhood memoirs, this struggle did not end when the abuse ceased.

Howarth describes his transition into adulthood, and the associated struggles in maintaining safe, secure relationships with others around him. This book is evidence of how years of abuse as a child can create de
Grazielle
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eva Leger
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mis-lit readers
Recommended to Eva by: found this on-line
Katie
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing book. Flawless, easy-flowing writing made it a quick book to read. It was heartbreaking from the first page to the last. His childhood years horrified me, and his time in prison angered me. I recommend this book to anyone who is capable of keeping their emotions in check, for this book will really take you on a roller-coaster ride.
Frances
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Harrowing reading and pretty disturbing. An easy read though, done in a few hours.
Lisa
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A moving story of how a child's abuse can turn nasty when they grow up.
Donna Chadwick
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author: Stuart Howarth
Title: Please, Daddy, No: A Boy Betrayed
Genre: Biography, Child Abuse, Tragic Life Stories, Sexual Abuse, Families and Parents, Health & Family and Lifestyle, Social and Health Issues, Nonfiction, True Crime, Autobiography, Memoir,

I was given this book.

To my sister, Shirley Anne Howarth, 1st February 1965 - 8th February 1991 aged 26 years, I miss you, 'Shirl the whirl', and today I know that you escaped away to peace and freedom. I watch you dance in the summer meadows, run
Linda Tilling
My review of Please, Daddy, No by Stuart Howarth.

It would be wrong of me to say I enjoyed this book, however, once I started reading it there was no way I was giving up on Stuart Howarth (just as everybody else had) and could not put it down. The abuse that he went through in his early home life and the continued emotional and psychological torture in prison was very graphic, but nevertheless essential to the story. I applauded him for having actually survived it all (with the help of the lovely
Chloe Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartbreaking story of the Author. This wasn't a book I would normally pick up, but when I say it..it literally called to me. I couldn't put it down, I my self was abused as a child, but not to the extant that poor Stuart and his sisters had face. Reading this book brought all kind of emotions back that I thought I bburied long again, but it proves that you will always be affected and the trauma "never goes away". This book is a huge eye opener of who bad child abuse can be and the aff ...more
Emmy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in psychology, not for the faint hearted
Shelves: owned
I'm not even sure what the correct way to go about reviewing a book like this is. I'm always hopeful and fascinated about justice being served and the way the author (they are the main character of their story) reflects on their character at a certain point in time. I personally generally find the psychological aspect to be the most interesting part of the story and how they feel about something tends to determine the speed at which the story is driven forward.

These books always tend to have an
Jennifer Reynolds
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Kholoud
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book hurts in the best way.
When I began to read it, I thought I won't be able to finish it. I think anyone who have ever suffered from abuse, will easily relate. However, as a one who never suffered, who always was ignorant, who always thought that a good chat will solve the problem, this book has changed me in the hard way.
Please, if you thought this book is too much for you, just carry on.
Patricia Kowalczyk
Difficult subject to read

Although all childhood abuse is hard to read as a subject but sexually abuse is even more disturbing. And the abuse he received in prison, totally unacceptable. People continue to need understanding and protection so children know what is right and wrong.
Janet May
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable Story of the Human Spirit to Survive!

This Man's story is unimaginably horrific , but shows just how strong the Human spirit truly is when given the opportunity of Love, kindness, patience, understanding and peace! God Bless him and everyone who is there to help people who have survived similar situations.
mckailer
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story truly shows how broken the system is, to not only ignore and refuse to rehabilitate the abused but to abuse them further.

I can now see why it is important, to teach children awareness when it comes to abuse both sexually, physically and mentally, because how do we, as a society, expect them to speak up about something they themselves do not know as wrong.
blondie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a Story!

Wow, you talk about a sick perverted freak, that's what Stuart's Stepfather was. A lot of the stuff in this book is unfathomable to comprehend. How could anyone do the things to their family? Unbelievably evil beyond words. I certainly know where is 'dad is now'. Satan has a special place for him.
Noelle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

You have to really be ready to read Stuart's story; it's not for the faint of heart. His story is powerful. It's important that people like him continue to share their story to continue to raise awareness of child abuse.
Jeanine
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Horrifying story of the torture of a child.. My heart breaks got he author and his family.. No child should have to live that way..
Diane
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book but so depressing.
Patricia Oliver
Can't remember

Can't remember the details of this book, I read it early 2016. Unable to provide a personal opinion or assessment...
Dawn Gerber
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sad story! You wonder how a parent or parents can do to a child that they brought into this world. Very good read.
Rebecca Brewer
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book, loved hearing Stuart's story and hoe he coped in prison.
Would definitley read again and
Nicky
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, what a story to tell! How can parents be so cruel ???
Elaine Doe
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very bad and very upsetting and disgusting what that poor kids went through. Just glad theirs a happy ending.
Nirbhay Bhuyar
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A moving story about child abuse until the writer was left with no option but fighting. Do read the survival battle of the writer.
« previous 1 3 next »
Heartbreaking! 1 8 Nov 19, 2013 10:38AM

• Damaged: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child
  • The Little Prisoner
  • Ugly
  • Twilight Children: Three Voices No One Heard Until a Therapist Listened
  • My Story: "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", "A Man Named Dave"
  • Broken
  • Daddy's Little Earner
  • Mummy Knew
  • Nobody believed me: A harrowing true story of abuse survival
  • Cry Silent Tears: The Horrific True Story of the Mute Little Boy in the Cellar
  • Ghost Girl
  • Tortured
  • Punished
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Scarred: She was a slave to her father. Pain was her only escape.
  • Not Without My Sister: The True Story of Three Girls Violated and Betrayed by Those They Trusted
  • Street Kid