Start by marking “Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles, #1)

Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  2,548 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Action, suspense, romance, and the growth of Christian faith weave together in this first in a series of four novels by popular author Terri Blackstock.
Published February 23rd 2010 by Zondervan (first published November 6th 1995)

Carolyn E
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I would give this book 7 or 8 stars. It is a wonderful story as are all of Terri Blackstock's books. I am in the process of reading all of them. I have just finished the Cape Refuge series and am now reading the Sun Coast Chronicles series. I highly recommend these books.
Willowy Whisper
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page-turner, as always!
Doug
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blackstock never disappoints! This was a challenging novel to my sometimes complacent Christianity. Sometimes it is so easy to just drift along and not make a difference!
Sarita
Terri Blackstock introduced me to Christian suspense and I always enjoy her books. This one was no different.

In this suspense however she revealed the bad guy early in the book, which was not expected but also added something different to the book since she gave the reader a bad man's point of view. With a twisted bad guy, the plane crash that kicked the story of with a bang, a heated child custody case as well as interesting characters who had to deal with the results of the plane crash, this w
Bonnie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book even though one of the main characters at times seemed a little too good to be true - actually, the way Christians like myself ought to be but generally aren't. Not that we don't want to be better; we're pretty fallible and only human like everybody else. But I liked the story and definitely plan to read the next book in the series.
Erika Hayes
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book. I must admit figuring this one out pretty quickly, however the rest of the story was strong enough to hold the readers that figure out what happens. Well written and enjoyable
Joanie Bruce
Terri Blackstock is one of my favorite authors, and in my opinion, this is one of her better books. Even though this is one of her earlier paperbacks, I had not read it before now.

What I liked: The two main characters are both struggling with spiritual battles, and their victory over those battles is both enlightening and inspiring. Both Lynda and Jake see their own flaws and wrestle with themselves to improve their character. The way they grow from being arrogant, demanding, or insensitive to
Pat
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Terri Blackstock and this is a new series for me. It's a Christian law/detective novel. Lynda Barrett, busy attorney, has to sell her beloved airplane to cover the debt left by her father's death. Reluctantly she agrees to let Jake Stevens, shallow, handsome, carefree playboy and potential buyer, test flight her small Piper. While in the air they discover a mutual animosity that doesn't disappear when sabotage downs the plane. Jake wakes up in the hospital with a marred face, a missing ey ...more
JaneReads
I really enjoyed this book. I liked that the author had the characters questioning faith and beliefs such as, were they a lukewarm Christian, how do you should God's for others, why does God let bad things happen, how do you forgive someone who has really hurt you. The way these questions where presented through out the story really got me thinking about what I believe. I really like when a fiction book gets me thinking about my life and how to live for Christ. In regards to the suspense story i ...more
Ashley Dawn
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lynda needs to sell her plane to settle some debts. Jake is the man wanting to buy it. When the two of them meet, neither really likes the other but a turn of events forces them closer than either ever suspected was possible.
I liked the plot line in this one. There were several subplots that were a part of the main plot that just made the story fly by! I loved Brianna! She was so sweet and innocent. The two detectives were intriguing. Lynda and Jake both had such
Jill Bratcher
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terri-blackstock
I haven't read many of Blackstock's books, but I have to say I almost appreciated the Afterword more than the book. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a page turner. But I appreciated her candor about her own faith walk (and previous inadequacy thereof).

I can't recall a book that starts out as a whodunit revealing the perp halfway thru before. Usually, you know - or think you know - from the beginning or you're trying to watch for clues and foreshadowing. Never seen a mix before.

Still, an enter
Karen
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, genre
Being the first in a series I thought I would give this a try. What I wish had been on the explanation was that this is "god" book. Christian, faith based. At least with the Amish genre you know what you are getting. This one took me by surprise. I was too far in to it (wanted to know "who dun it") so I listened to the book.
If you are a Christian and live a faith based life you may enjoy this book.
Jean D. Wagner
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful love story between man and God

What a wonderful way to draw closer to our Lord and Savior Jesus. This book shows how God comes thru when we go thru trials and tribulations. How we need each other to navigate thru this world. What a wonderful book!
Jane
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.00 stars - rated pg

I'm very slowly going through all my bookshelves and trying to catalogue books bought and read in years gone by. Stars and ratings are mere guesses at this point. I'm assuming I enjoyed the book at some point in my life?
Michelle Connell
Lynda Barrett meets a young man new to Florida when she tries selling her airplane to him. Unfortunately this plane erupts in an explosion, nearly killing them both. Nobody knows why her plane was targeted and think it's just a random act. Now thrown together, Lynda and Jake are sent to the hospital to recover from their injuries. But more attempts are made on Lynda's life and things become scary for her and the client she is trying to help. Who is behind these malicious sinister acts and can Ly ...more
Denise
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed re-reading this book. It was a favorite in the past and I remember why I liked it so much. It's a great story about love and forgiveness and about how often Christians live their lives without thinking about life outside this world. I liked how Jake grew and changed to realize what was important and how Linda was able to help him as she grew too.
Ruth
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Riveting

Another thriller that keeps you reading wanting to know the outcome. This reminds us of how precious life is and to reach out to the lost for this is what Christ has commanded his children to do. Only he can save them however we are to plant the seed.
Ashlee Hockenberry
I finished this one in two sittings. I’m making my way through all of Blackstock’s series and I’m looking forward to book 2. I couldn’t put it down and there were some great plot twists. This one did not disappoint!
Fran
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though we know who dunnit quite early on - there's still so much more to the story ! Well done. Every book I've read has been amazing by this author
Amanda Gribbin
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book a little predictable

I love Terri Blackstock books she is a wonderful author! I can't wait to finish the series, hopefully they are just as good!
Kate
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carol C. Cottom
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Great Christian mystery and suspense. Love this author!!!
Theresa
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one by Terri Blackstock!

Jake is self-assured, financially secure, confident with the ladies, and he takes pride in his red Porsche. An airline pilot, he knows there is just one thing he needs;

“...he tried to concentrate on the new toy he was going to buy – a Piper Arrow PA 28. Just what he needed to make life complete.

Once he had it, he would finally have everything he wanted.”

Lynda is selling her most treasured possession, a Piper Arrow PA 28, in order to meet her father’s debts tha
Maurice Engler
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I think this book is near pathetic. I did not make it past chapter 3. The premise of the aircraft accident is ridiculous. These people have a landing gear retraction problem on a small aircraft and the situation is described as one what will almost certainly result in the death of both people in the craft, the destruction of aircraft, automobiles, spectators and buildings on the ground. What? A gear retraction problem on such an aircraft will likely be dealt with by a landing on the grass alongs ...more
Karen Birman kent
Jake is a handsome, rich guy who knows how to get what he wants in life, including women. He meets Lynda to test drive her airplane in hopes of buying it from her, but as they prepare to land, they discover that the landing gear has malfunctioned and they crash land., leaving Lynda with many bruises, broken ribs and a ruptured spleen but Jake loses an eye and the use of both legs. Lynda, an attorney who has wandered away from God, finds the ability rekindled in her to help others in Jesus name a ...more
Linda
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not something I usually read, but I did enjoy it.
Debbi
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect with this book, but I enjoyed it very much. I spent time reading when I should have been sleeping, but I couldn't stop reading. A good story!

"Lynda Barrett, a young lawyer, hates to sell her plane, but she can no longer afford to keep it. Enter Jake Stevens: wealthy, arrogant, and interested in buying Lynda's beloved Piper. Together, he and Lynda embark on a test flight that ends in disaster, hurling them into a terrifying sequence of events. One thing becomes clear:
Marti
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title should have been a clue that this was Christian fiction, but the religious part was not overly intrusive. The plot is fairly simple--a private plane is sabotaged by the husband of Lynda Barrett's client, but she and the possible buyer escape--Jake with more serious wounds. Keith, the husband of Paige, and father of Brianna continues to try to kill Lynda. I felt that if Paige had told Lynda that Keith had been an aircraft mechanic in the Navy, the plot would have been different. Also, a ...more
Jaime
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really wanted to love this book. I read Terri's "Cape Refuge" series a couple years ago, and ADORED it. But this one...it just didn't stick with me. The main characters are good, but not incredible. I didn't care for the POV. But my main problem was that the villain was revealed so soon in the book. I love a good shocker, and this book didn't have it. No plot twists. The tension was minimal.

It was just...meh. Nothing special. Personal opinion. That being said, I do fully intend to read the ne
Sherry Jolly
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-books
Terri Blackstock is really wonderful at writing edge-of-your-seat thrillers which involve Christian characters.

Evidence of Mercy gets 4.5 stars from me. The main character is a lukewarm Christian lawyer who gets into a plane crash with an arrogant man who was planning to buy her plane. The story involves the changes they both go through during the ordeal, physically, mentally and spiritually.

I was able to tell "whodunit" right away - if you've read this book, let me know if it was evident to y
  • Showers in Season (Seasons, #2)
  • Brink of Death (Hidden Faces #1)
  • The Sacrifice
  • The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney
  • In Harm's Way (Heroes of Quantico, #3)
  • True Valor (Uncommon Heroes #2)
  • Alaska Twilight
  • Vital Signs (Baxter #3)
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...

Sun Coast Chronicles (4 books)
  • Justifiable Means ( Sun Coast Chronicles, #2)
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
  • Presumption of Guilt (Sun Coast Chronicles, #4)