Start by marking “The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)

The Digital Photography Book

(The Digital Photography Book #1)

This text tackles the most important side of digital photography - how to take professional-quality shots using the same tricks today's top digital pros use.
Published August 1st 2006 by Peachpit Press

Start your review of The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
Rolf Häsänen
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Scott Kelby aka Mr Photoshop dishes out some no-nonsense and excellent tips for improving your photography skills. I have added some of my pics, so you can judge your self ->
Cedar Pride outside of Aqaba

DSC_3271-1.jpg

DSC_5022-1.jpg

DSC_3286-1.jpg

Hafnarfjordur.JPG

I think my photos have improved after reading both of his books, some tips were so simple but oh so good. I still get crappy pics but the ratio of good pics is much higher and i can plan for my shoots now.
The books are not for the pro photographer but for us that are coming back to photography in the dig
Bart
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginners and hobbyists
My veteran photographer friends would laugh at me if they knew I bought this book. I'm a real novice, and many of my friends are professional art and event shooters. I liked this book, though, because it reminded me a lot of having a conversation with a photographer friend. In fact, this is a goal clearly stated by the author: he wanted to cut out the technical explanations and write as if he and the reader were out shooting, giving flat advice and instructions. It works for what it is, I picked ...more
Mindy
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This guys writing will drive you nuts at the beginning because he is constantly joking. He calms down towards the end though. And in the meantime, he gave great PRACTICAL advice with shooting digital. For example, he doesn't use complicated words when explaining how to get great flower shots. He just tells you as a friend would. Set your camera at this setting, do this, do that, and there you go.
I want to try out everything he explained. It's one of those books I would like to have on hand to h
Kim
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I have been shooting my pictures in auto and without a tripod for way too long. I have a basic understanding of photoshop, but I was ready to begin understanding my Nikon, and stop shooting in auto (or a preset). This book got me hooked, I have a better understanding of aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, and white balance--as well as a better understanding of all of the "tools" out there to use. I love photoshop, but knowing how to take a great picture in the first place is just as i ...more
Chuck Slack
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book for a novice photographer. It demystified some of the photography lingo.

Highly recommend to one that is learning their digital SLR.
Erin
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first "general" digital photography books I've read that isn't specific to my camera. I'd heard many good reviews on Kelby's series, so I knew going into it that I'd get some good advice and information.

This book is extremely well-written - not a stuffy textbook written with explanations of aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation that would put an amateur photographer to sleep; rather, Kelby uses humor and "recipes" to show tips on how best to set up shots. His appro
Courtney
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I am 16 and I am very into photography as a hobby. I have checked out many books about photography from the library but most books I checked out were boring, dry, very hard to understand, and full of a bunch of technical terms; this is not the case with this book. This book is easy to understand and it give simple tips to improve your photography. Scott Kelby also uses a lot of (not so funny) humor to get his point across, which makes the book enjoyable to read. This book als ...more
Abdurrahman AlQahtani
Apr 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
I wouldn't recommend this book for both beginers or pros. I'm a beginner my self, but the style of this book can't match any of those categories. What I hate about this book is two things:
- Humor/jokes that are not funny at all, unfotunately :(.
- Telling the basics in too much elaboration.

I highly recommend you to go and read the 1- and 2-star evals of this book on Amazon, and you bet you'll agree with them 100%.

A book that I believe is ourstanding in photography is "Understanding Exposure - Ho
Bader
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photography peopel, Amature and Professional
This is a great book or I can call it a Guide to get in photography or even to improve your photgraphing ability. this books starts from choosing the cameras and their accesories to printing good photos you have. It helps in knowing the way to get better photos; to know what you need for diffrent cases ( weddings, people portraits, nature, citylife .. etc )and for diffretn places ( city, mountains, islands, inside rooms .. etc) [ cases .. places .. I like how I am good in Rhythm's stuff lol :]. ...more
Mark
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of simple, well explained tips for getting better pictures without a lot of extra editing in software programs. Geared more for the novice who wants to take picture taking to the next level. I would recommend this book to someone fairly new to photography but wants to learn more, but not to someone well versed on the subject.
Maryam Siddiqui
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
it's awesome.
Hillary
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Granted, I could not get beyond the first chapter, but I have no idea how this book has a single good review! This book is ridiculous! I wanted information and the author gave me fake-outs and stupid humor.
Cedric Jean-marie
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I originally bought this trilogy for my wife when she got into photography, shortly after however I got suckered into it as well and am now more involved in it then she. Since we had these books I figured I'd give them a once over. I believe if the books reach their intended audience they are sure to be a valuable asset.

From the get go Kelby explains his thinking behind these books as a casual conversation between friends where he leaves out much or all of the theory and just tells you straight
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
For the pro or serious amateur on or two stars, for intermeidate photographers three and for novices four to five: This book has one photo "hint" or recommendation per page. If you are a pro or very serious amateur in digital photography you will get little out of the book. Hence it may be of only a one or two star value. If you are an intermediate photographer you have probably heard much (if not most) of what is in the book. Hence it may only be a three star value. If one is only a novice to d ...more
Lauren
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a very light read and not something for someone who wants to know the ins and outs of photography.

I would describe it as a book of handy hints and tips for getting a good shot composition-wise, as the emphasis is on the end result rather than the process. If you want to learn about exposure, shutter speed et al look elsewhere first as this book merely touches on them.

Admittedly, Kelby's writing style was rather wordy and I found myself scanning pages at times, trying to find the tips amo
Antigone
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: novice photographers, beyond the point n shoot, not ready for multiple cameras
Recommended to Antigone by: Lisa E.
This is a great book but isn't for the advanced photographer..... its for those of us who got a spiffy Nikon DX40 and are trying to harkin back to the old SLR photo classes we took in highschool to remember what ISO and Aperture and such mean. He is an amazing read - very funny and direct. But again.... this ISN'T a book for advanced users - though I kinda thought by the awesome cover it would be.

Also, he has an amazing blog you should subscribe to. And this week, I learned from his blog, all hi
Karen
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography-arts
Even though I am not a complete digital photography novice, I do have a lot to learn still, I looked at the reviews of this and decided to give it a go.

It gives good practical advice which is written in an easy to understand manner. His humor may not be to everyone's taste, but it does lighten the mood of the book, making it very readable. It is the type of book that you can just delve into the sections that you want to find out more information about. He does not waste time on technical explan
Jenna
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It's full of so much useful information for amateurs like me who wish to learn more about photography. The book is very readable; interspersed with all the photography wisdom, know-how, and tips, are funny scenarios, sarcastic sentences, and downright silliness, that made me bust out laughing many times. The author, Scott Kelby, is a riot and very fun to read! I just wish I had read this book before the recent trip I took. I will for sure be reading the other 3 book ...more
Hannah
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been into photography recently (very original, I know) and sometime last week, I decided to browse photography books. Browsing turned to reading of course. I think the guards at Powerbooks Greenbelt recognize me already.

I certainly have picked up a lot of tips from the book. I like that it's very easy to read and doesn't use "photography jargon." I'm looking forward to applying what I've read the next time I take my camera for a spin.
Amy Fisher
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it because it's written in such a way I can almost flip right to the page I'm looking for. Nice large photo at the top of each page references what is taught there. Easy read style packed with much information! I get the author's desire to be funny and engaging, sometimes it's a little much is all. I'll be putting it in my gear bag to take with me. Time to practice these tips in the field!
Lisa
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
LOVE Scott Kelby! This man knows his stuff and makes it simple and easy for anyone not a professional photographer. Really enjoy his tips and have learned some things that I use frequently now. (Just purchased a light tri-pod). Sadly the Nikon D40x does not have a mirror lock to allow for tack sharp photography... but I digress.

READ SCOTT KELBY!
Chris Hlady
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: photography
It seems everybody loves this series of books, but I found the tips to be very basic, and repetitive from book to book. There was some useful information and some useful information, but overall it wasn't very inspiring or helpful.
Mohammed
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A highly entertaining photographer, and the book is a super quick read. It's written so that every single page has an actionable tip for you, so it's useful in that regard. Less about theory and more about taking action.
Stig Aune
Excellent, well written and practical for a beginner.
Pradit Pinyopasakul
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good for starters. I read this book at the time I started using my DSLR.
Sandy
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
If you enjoy photography this is a must read! You will gain the confidence to turn your camera dial off automatic and have get pictures.
Gianfranco Nerdi
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is not really a book for teaching the basics in a systematic, orderly fashion (although it does teach some).
This is a book that presents a variety of practical tips - each occupying a page - that a beginner with already some understanding of the basics might find useful.
Many of the tips are pretty trivial and ones that I already knew about and really had no need to be reminded of, but some have stuck and would have definitely come in handy in my earlier days as a photographer. What are some
Valery
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally grabbed this book as a help to strengthen my amateur photography skills. That is exactly what the book described and it definitely has a few tips without the heavy jargon to take your photos to the next level.
However, I didn't quite feel as enamored with the witty banter as the author probably had in mind. In fact, I felt it was a massive waste of my time to have to slog through the banter in order to get to the meat of the book. I didn't like it. When I get a help book I want to delv
Yusuf Ks
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
I amazed and really love this book. It's simple and easy to understand. Difficult & hard photography terms or alien language won't be found here. The author shared many things about photography from basics until how to shoot great and sharp in portrait, wedding, flower, sport, landscape, wild, and travel photography. Scott share everything fun, frankly, and as simple as possible, so all the tips are easy to understand, even for a beginner photographer. Every tip is always included with a sample ...more
Glen Grunau
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Retirement from my career has opened the door for me to pick up my long neglected interest in photography. The gift of a beautiful new DSLR camera for my retirement - a plot hatched by Karen and my office team - sealed the deal.

Cameras have changed dramatically since I bought my first Pentax ME SLR forty years ago. This one is a mini computer stuffed inside a camera body and lens. So I’ve been spending the last few weeks reading my camera manual . . . and this book.

Kelby is very easy to read and
HORSE PHOTOGRAPHY- GETTING THOSE EARS FORWARD 1 2 Oct 18, 2019 01:04AM
Photography 1 3 Feb 01, 2017 08:41PM
Photography 1 1 Feb 01, 2017 08:41PM
Should be merged with "The Digital Photography Book" 1 3 Jul 11, 2010 08:57AM

• Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Keystone Fly Fishing: The Ultimate Guide to Pennsylvania's Best Water
  • Casting with Lefty Kreh
  • Trout

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba

The Digital Photography Book (10 books)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes
  • Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Set: The Digital Photography Book, Volumes 1 and 2
  • Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3
  • Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4
  • Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5: 1-5
  • The Best of The Digital Photography Book Series: The step-by-step secrets for how to make your photos look like the pros'!