Start by marking “Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)” as Want to Read:
Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

Small Favor

(The Dresden Files #10)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  93,517 ratings  ·  2,491 reviews
THE New York Times Bestseller

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down -- until a shadow from the past returns. Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry -- one small favor that will trap him between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and that will strain his skills -- and loyalties -- to their very limits.
Published April 1st 2008 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Small Favor, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dennis Keithly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  93,517 ratings  ·  2,491 reviews

Start your review of Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
Petrik
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For better or worse, Small Favor is a fully action-packed packed—have I mentioned packed?—volume.

To the longtime fans of the series, here’s a brief reminder that Peace talks, the long-awaited sequel in The Dresden Files series, is out now! As for me, I’m still slowly catching up. I actually wish I can prolong my speed, but it seems likely that by October or November, I’ll be fully caught up with the series.

“Punctuality is for people with nothing better to do.”

Just when he thought his
Paul O'Neill
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hell’s bells, this series just keeps on getting better and better!!

During a blizzard in Chicago, yellow page advertising wizard Harry Dresden is summoned by the queen of Winter, Mab, who calls in a favour she is owed. The Denarians are back and they are the main foes in this story. The book also features Gruffs (as in the brothers Gruff, referred to by Harry as “were-goats”), the Archive, Marcone and the Knights of the cross.

This book is one of the deeper books in the series. It asks some quest
Reed
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
As I began reading the 10th Harry Dresden novel, I started ticking off little mental bullet points:

Sarcastic dialogue.

Harry in more trouble than any 3 urban fantasy characters.

The frenzied "first climax" that always happens in the middle of a Dresden novel.

Repetitive info-dumping (description of Harry's beat up Volkswagen, Mouse the huge-ass dog, his big-ass cat, his pretty-boy vampire brother, his burned hand, his terrible youth, the tavern for supernaturals . . . you get the point)

I began to
Carolyn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, mystery
This was another action packed Harry Dresden adventure. Started off a little slow but sure did build momentum through the middle culminating in a massive battle. Harry is growing smarter and more powerful but is still young in wizarding terms especially when some heavy weight foes are out to get him.
In this episode Mab, Queen of the Winter Court calls in a favour Harry owes her and asks him to rescue crime boss Marcone, who has been kidnapped by a bunch of fallen angels (called the Denarians).
Lyn
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
When Mab, the faerie queen of the Winter Court, asks you for a small favor – it’s not really a small favor. Like Ron Burgundy it’s kind of a big deal.

So begins Jim Butcher’s TENTH Harry Dresden novel. The past few stories have been about Harry’s conflicts with vampires, especially the White Court. That problem having been more or less resolved for the time being, we now switch themes back to the faerie courts and a visit from the White Queen.

And getting saddled up on the WINTER side of the Fae m
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Another solid story with a stellar narration, even if I think James Marsters is sort of backtracking and doing fewer distinct voices. I'm crazy addicted to this story, and I simply don't think it is possible for me to not enjoy one of these books. This plot was, again, sort of all of the place and complicated, but Jim Butcher makes it work.

I can't give less than 4 stars. On to the next!
Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
seak
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, audio
I was blown away by White Knight and couldn't possibly imagine this series getting any better than that. I'm happy to say Butcher may have done so. If anything, Small Favor's at least on the same level with what I already considered the best in the series.

Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid at 10 books in, but this series has gotten much less annoying to me as it's progressed. I didn't notice too many over-explanations in this installment that drove me nuts about the first couple books in the serie
Chris
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, wizardry
"Hell's Bells" count: 21

This is the tenth book in the series, and if Butcher's own plan can be trusted, it marks about the halfway point for the series as a whole. Having made it this far with the series is a remarkable achievement, and if he can keep it up all the way to its projected end, I will be a very happy and impressed reader. So, a few words about the book itself, and then some thoughts on the series.

Honestly, if you've been following my reviews of this series, you can be pretty sure wh
Heidi The Reader
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Mab, the Winter Queen, comes to cash in on one of the favors Harry owes her, things go from bad to worse. And snow won't stop falling on Chicago. Could the two possibly be related?

Instinct told me that reason had disappointed me more than once, and that it wasn't thinking in the long term anyway. Over the years, my instincts and I have gotten cozy. pg 57, ebook.

Memorable characters from the previous entries in The Dresden Files make a reappearance in this, the tenth book in the series. We g
Steven
Loved it. The Denarians, the fae, the Knights of the Cross, the Marcone gang, the Archive... pretty much everyone is present except the vamps (and of course Thomas is here, so that counts!)... awesome!
Em Lost In Books
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, 2000-09, 2014
this book was absolute madness from start to the very end.

Action start right from page one when Harry was attacked in the backyard of Carpenters while he was playing with Carpenter family. He was attacked by summer faeries. After that Harry got called by Murphy on a crime scene where Johnny Marcone was kidnapped with use of some heavy duty magic. & everybody knows that when Johnny Marcone is involved in anything, things gets nastier. If that is not enough Winter Queen Mab wants Harry to rescue M
Luffy
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, dresden
Giving a book 5 stars doesn't mean it's perfect. It's just that though I use it with a discriminative, fair, and remunerative sense of dosage, I know there are 2 farcical sides to this particular coin. First, for how long do I wait before ceding to impulse and rate a book 5 stars. Secondly, what do I do if, a week after giving Small Favor 5 stars, I chance on a book 10 times better? Cheerfully, those issues are non sequitur in my mind. Small Favor began slowly, embracing its pulpish roots and fl ...more
Marielle
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
Dresden always makes me feel good!
Michael Britt
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Richard
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
8.5/10

Easily in the top 3 of the Dresden Files series and I’d go as far to say it’s my second favourite unable to pip Dead Beat by just a fraction (minus a star for no Polka music). The whole book was just fun to read, maybe it was the snowy Chicago setting and reading this over Christmas and the lack of snow provided by the weird British weather systems here. That’s a disservice though as there is so much going on in this book that it was hard to put this down and I was hooked up until the fina
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
WOW. Small Favor was another epic read in the Dresden Files series. Harry is in deep again.

After White Night, Harry has had some time to spend with his brother, friends, and his young apprentice, but now all that’s changing.

We have intrigue, betrayal, action-packed moments, and some surprises along the way.

Their’s a game a foot and lots of secrets. Molly, Thomas, Murphy, the Knights of the Cross, and Kincaid join Harry on this adventure. We also get the Billy Goat Gruff, Dark Magic, Summer
HBalikov
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My intention is to keep this review short since many of you already know that I consider Jim Butcher’s Dresden series one of the finest collections of contemporary fantasy writing…and because I want to avoid any spoilers for those of you who have yet to read Small Favor.

In this novel, there is plenty of action and Butcher keeps it going with imaginative variations. Harry finds that he is over his head almost right from the start and has to call on a large number of his allies in order to solve
Michael Britt
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently realized I didn't give this book a real review last time. So i will today!

I'm weird about audiobooks. I can't listen to a book I've never read, but I also get kind of bored listening to books I've already read. Weird situation. This was my first Dresden Files audiobook and man am I glad I chose this one. Small Favor reminds me why I love this series. It's got all my favorite characters and my favorite villain(s). We've got Mouse, Toot-Toot, Molly, Murphy, Ivy and Michael. And my favor
Seth
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modernfantasy, sf-f-h
About 1/4 into Small Favor I found myself wondering if Harry Dresden was about to magically jump a shark. By the end, I had decided it might be the best book in the series.

Well, he actually does kind of jump a shark, but he was in an aquarium at the time.

Favor put us firmly back in Dresden's home territory. Someone has kidnapped his least-favorite sometimes-ally "Gentleman" Marcone and he's being coerced into saving him by an old enemy. His allies in faerie-land are trying to kill him. His frie
Juli
Small Favor is the 10th book in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a wizard living in Chicago. Occasionally he helps out the local police with supernatural incidents and he hires on to help clients with hard-hitting magical problems. This time, he's in trouble.....a heavy hitter from the Winter Court calls in a favor. Whenever Mab wants something, it's always horrific and incredibly dangerous. What appears to be a kidnapping case ends up involving fallen angels, grotesque ...more
David Sven
Another great entry in the series. Great audio narration from James Marsters as usual.

Plenty of action this book starting from the first few minutes. The war with the Red Court might have cooled down temporarily but Harry has peeved off quite a few nasties so far in the series and a lot of them come back round to bite him in the ass. Good thing it's tough as leather. Or at least it's covered with leather infused with magic shielding.

It's a bit hard to review this one because mentioning the bigg
Becky
OH shizzle! This book was intense. Excellent though, and I loved the humor.

I actually really enjoy the faith aspects of these books too, which isn't something that you'll see me say very often. I just really appreciate how Butcher manages issues of Good and Evil and God, god(s) and religion, or not so much religion but faith.

I love Harry and I love these books. That's all that really needs to be said.
Jilly
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The very first thing I have to say about this book is: How in the world do people live in places where it snows? I mean, the descriptions in this book of living in a place with snow during the winter sounds soooooo miserable! I can't even imagine having to dig my car out of ice, or shovel my walkway in order to leave my house each day. You people must be insane or something!

snow photo: tired of snow ? its_snow_funny.gif
this would be me at the airport upon landing in the place where there is snow

Harry needs to move to the South. His long
Deborah Markus
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-find
Note the five stars and take what follows for what it's worth.

I'm a few books ahead -- I'm just behind on posting. But this book, and another one to come, confirmed what I began to suspect a book or two ago, which is that Jim Butcher has developed a poker tell.

I don't want to say much or I'll spoil the suspense for you the way Butcher has started to for me. I'll try to be vague enough that you won't know what I mean until you finish the book, look back with this review in mind, and get it. Maybe
Mike's Book Reviews
Full Video Review Here: https://youtu.be/rVlYaimtnNA

After having some mixed opinions on White Night, this book was exactly the shot in the arm I needed to get recharged on the series going forward. With the return of the Denarians and my favorite series Big Bad, as well as my favorite supporting characters in the Knights of the Cross, this almost felt like the direct sequel to Death Masks (my favorite book in the series thus far).

The grading curve I use for these books are villain, case, and sup
☕️Kimberly
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the events of White Night, it was nice to hear Harry has had a relatively quiet year. Time to spend with his brother, friends and preparing his young apprentice but all that is about to change when Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry.

Narrated by James Marsters this tale comes to life through his narration. From the voices, to his able to make you feel each characters' emotions it has been delightful listening to Marsters become a masterful narrator.
I k
Michael
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files takes a bit of a break from the supernatural conflict that has been the focus of the last several novels with great success. The entire conflict isn't ignored and it is always present, though it may be on the back burner for "Small Favor."

During an October blizzard, Harry is called on to deliver one of his two remaining favors for Mav. Gentlemen Johnny Marcone has disappeared and Mav tasks Harry with finding him and returning him safely. But another side is out for Ha
Patrick St-Denis
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a Dresden Files marathon during which I read and reviewed Blood Rites, Dead Beat, and Proven Guilty over the course of about two weeks last year, it took a lot of self-control to forgo continuing reading subsequent installments. This series has definitely become one of my favorite SFF reads.

If Dead Beat turned out to be the point where the Dresden Files shifted into high gear, for its part Proven Guilty did build on the storylines introduced in basically every other volume and pushed the e
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the series. Instead of running on too long and rehashing old ideas, Mr. Butcher keeps ratcheting things up and making you want more.

Audio book: James Marsters? Check. Awesome reading? Check. He has me dreading Ghost Story, because I know he won't be reading it. I really can't imagine anyone else doing this series justice.

Full Review
This one is even better than I remember, but still not quite as enjoyable for me as White Night is. I'm not really sure

• My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Naked City
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • The Original
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Strange Brew
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)