Start by marking “The Book of Virtues” as Want to Read:
The Book of Virtues

The Book of Virtues

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,093 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Responsibility. Courage. Compassion. Honesty. Friendship. Persistence. Faith. Everyone recognizes these traits as essentials of good character. In order for our children to develop such traits, we have to offer them examples of good and bad, right and wrong. And the best places to find them are in great works of literature and exemplary stories from history.

William J. Benn
Published May 11th 2010 by Simon Schuster (first published November 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Virtues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Virtues

Stephen
5.0 stars (I would give it more if I could). An absolutely superb collection of stories brilliantly edited by William Bennett. A wonderful teaching tool for parents and a lot of fun for kids.
Spencer
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading excerpts from this book at a time is like sitting down in front of the fire with your Grandpa or Grandma telling you stories you can fall asleep too. All the stories, essays, poems, songs, rhymes uphold a virtue. They range from humorous to serious in nature. Any book that carries Henry V's battle cry, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends," belongs in the home library.
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamers
Well I'm rounding 700 pages in this 815-page monster, so I'm going to call it read. Hope you won't protest.
The Book of Virtues is a very large collection of interesting fiction, non-fiction, children's poems, Greek myth, biblical stories, inspiring speeches once given, historical figures' journal entries, tall tales and such. They are loosely compiled according to the "virtue" they posses. This is just the kind of thing I love: Things that are fanciful and thought provoking. Over the course of
Mason.osman
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Book of Virtues" is made up of smaller stories on important life virtues. I was actually kind of excited to read some of the smaller stories, mostly the ones that mean the most to me. I read Loyalty(pg663-737) and Self Discipline(pg19-104), which were both very interesting. I enjoyed Loyalty most, I think because I can relate to that more. One quote in Loyalty is ,"We don't have to like those to whom we are loyal, and they don't have to like us". Reading this quote made me think twice about ...more
Danielle
Oh. That was my reaction once I finally got around to cracking this tome open. It turns out this book is not what I was thinking it was going to be. Based on the title, I was expecting real, true stories that illustrated great moral truths. Ya know, like the guy who was honest about the clerk giving him too much change, even though he didn't know how he was going to feed his family that night, and then because of his honesty, the store manager offers him a job, and he's able to feed his family f ...more
Moira
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Youngsters who love legends, fables, and fairytales.
I remember being introduced to this book on my tenth birthday, when it was given to me as a birthday gift. I was completely fascinated by the thickness of the thing, and I was so proud at the thought of reading through it all. I did eventually read it all, and after that one read I went back and read my favorite stories over and over. Some were very serious, others more lighthearted, some funny, and still some that were unbelievable - but to a child's mind, deliciously fictional.
Perhaps some gro
Eric_W
Dec 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All Bennett proved is that he can compile good stories than he didn't write but liked. And then he makes a lot of money from it. No original thinking here and shouldn't original thinking be one of the highest virtues?
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
some kids had "Goodnight Moon" and stuff like that.
I had the Book of Virtues. Thanks, parents.
:P
Jackie
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book! A collection of works that is easy to dip in and out of during the day. This book was originally intended for kids but I feel that adults can gain much from this book. I am currently reading the chapter titled "Compassion." I have to share this one particular entry with you:
The Sin of Omission by Margaret E. Sangster

It isn't the thing you do, dear,
Its the thing you leave undone
That gives you a bit of a heartache
At setting of the sun.
The tender work forgotten,
The le
Lora
A big fat book of many types of stories that are arranged by the virtue they illustrate- honesty, hard work, courage, etc. There's a little bit of everything in here for a family- from a little spooky tale of The Wee, Wee Woman to the inspiration of Washington's Farewell Address.There are Greek myths and retellings of scripture stories. There are songs and poems. There are even things we didn't agree with, or the kids found disturbing in small ways. They led to important discussions on dealing w ...more
Vania Melamed
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should belong in every parent's library. Each story is no more than a few pages long and has a moral at the end to be discussed with the kids. If you need a reprieve from the heavy reading of religious works yet still crave some substance, this book is basically an indirect self-help book that should be entitled: "Inspired suggestions to prevent you from further screwing up your life, you 'forward-thinking' pansy, you".
Cheryl
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I borrowed this book from the library with the intention of having "family reading time". I read the stories myself and kept a list of the stories that I thought my 13 year old daughter would be most interested in. Dang teenagers... she didn't want anything to do with it! As for myself, there were some stories I really liked and others, not so much.
Elle Alexander
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Every person, be they very young or very old, should own this book.
Misterscottypooh
WELL WELL.....WELL. I WAS ON A RUNNERS HIGH WHEN I WALKED INTO THE NEW BARNES AND NOBLES IN KANEOHE. I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE RIGHT ABOUT KNOWING SUBDUALY THAT IN THE PSYCHOLOGY SECTION THE BOOK TEEMED, "THE HELPING FRIENDLY BOOK" DID TOO EXIST. I AJOINED MY CHILDHOOD YEARS FLUNKING GRAMMAR AND GRADESCHOOL FOR EXELENT REVIEWS RATHER THAN LAST NIGHTS HOMEWORK WHICH MIGHT BE AND REALLY MUST HAVE BEEN COMPLETE FOR HONORING THE STUDENTS OF THE PASTS AND OUR FOREFATHERS WE EDIT TODAY, THE PROPHETS WE HAD ...more
DC
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This audio collection is very nostalgic for me. I remember the times when my mother would play these for me (in glorious cassette form, no less!), and I would listen to these memorable stories, told with only the most soothing of voices, until I fell asleep. When I got older, my mother had the cassettes recorded and burnt into CDs, and I, in turn, got the MP3s and listen to them on my portable media player from time to time.

The stories come from far and wide, featuring the mighty Genghis Khan to
Neil Sharma
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book designed to be read cover to cover. Rather, you flip through it, pick a few short stories or poems, and read it slowly. Afterwards, stop and think about it, let your mind marinate in each virtue, and perhaps memorize a passage or two.

I probably only read a quarter of the book so far, but glimpsed at most of it. Some stories are familiar -- the velveteen rabbit or the boy who cried wolf, others are more obscure and come from non-western cultures.

There is a charm in reading chil
Terry Jacobs
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Book of Virtues" is an interesting collection of stories and philosophies concerning virtue. While marketed as a book to "... aid in the time-honored task of the moral education of the young," much of it is beneficial to enlightening the parent as well. The material in the book that I personally found most intriguing is probably beyond the comprehension of "the young," but would serve as a catalyst for dialogue that could be useful in instructing teens in the art and science of virtue.

Many
Michael
I've been reading this book off and on for fifteen years or so. It is filled with stories, fables, poetry, song lyrics, and lots of other great pieces of classical literature. I use many of the myths in this book in my classroom. It's a long book; not one you'd sit down and read cover to cover, but each time I open it I find something else I like. Essentially, the editor arranges each chapter by virtue--friendship, discipline, faith, etc.--and provides selections from classical literature and hi ...more
Sean
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little surprised by this book. I've seen William Bennett interviewed and was a little turned off by his extreme right-wing viewpoints (read--moralistic). But The Book of Virtues is just a huge collection of stories that are organized by the virtues that they proclaim: Self-Discipline, Compassion, Responsibility, Friendship, Work, Courage, Perseverance, Honesty, Loyalty and Faith. Bennett serves merely to introduce each story with a short comment and he does so without seeming at all mora ...more
Gwynne
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from the school library. Unfortunately, finals were coming up and I coudn't finish it and had to return it already.

Even though I was only able to read the first two chapters, I can say that it is a great book. It is truly meant not only for a children's treasury, but also for teen and adults. The morals are well expressed in the strories, poems, and discourses. Plus, the printing quality was also good. The book is awfully heavy, by the way.

Actually I found a hardbound copy o
Melissa
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My parents had a copy of this that they bought when I was a teen. I loved the collection of classic short stories, fables and fairy tales. I also think the wording is updated to modern understanding. I have a large vocabulary, but recently read an older version of Aesop's fables that was tripping me up. Many of those stories are in The Book of Virtues, but readable for children. Because the stories are short, you can always just pick one to read at night, no need to go through the book front to ...more
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: parents
Shelves: children, american
I know this author has gotten a "bad rap" (for what I can't remember), but I have fond memories of this book. My parents bought the big, original hard cover edition (from Costco!) for us when we were kids. I memorized parts of "Paul Revere's Ride" out of this book. When I was struggling in composition, my dad made me copy George Washington Carver essays out of it. Who cares if it sounds corny, this is a book for patriots (though I would recommend it to anyone) . . . in my humble opinion, of cour ...more
Jorge Reyes
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Padres de familia, educadores
Gran libro en lo concerniente a las historias cortas, poemas y demás.
Se podría decir que el autor aporta poco, y eso le resta valor al concepto en sí, sin embargo es un libro que aporta mucho por si solo, ya que como el autor menciona, es un libro de apoyo, que auxilia a los padres en la ardua labor educativa con ejemplos claros y prácticos sobre temas fundamentales para la vida y alcanzar la felicidad.
Es bello recordar los cuentos que nos contaban de pequeños, y recordar sus moralejas.
Recomenda
Janene
You know you've got something good when your kids are asking you to read once again that one story about George Washington, or that one about the "please," or the one about the frog and the snake, or the one about the shiny windows.

I think to myself, do they REALIZE that they just asked me to teach them about honesty, self-discipline, friendship, gratitude? I finally had to return this to my mom because we've had it for so long, but I'll be watching for it at a bargain price so I can have my own
Danny
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Without exception, the best collection of truth ever compiled. It is amazing to me that the "world" is just looking to tear down the truth. When Wm Bennett compliled these stories it was an instant phenomenon, but his personal gambling problems and misquoted racial statement devalued him as one having moral authority, and likewise the morals in the stories have lost some of their perceived luster.
Stacey
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My high school vocal teacher Mrs. Boynes would read stories from this book and I always remember truly enjoying them. So when I had my first son 17years ago I purchased it as a gift to myself as a new mom, hoping that in him I would instill the simple virtures and values taught in this book---I think it helped :-)
Shannon
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of those books that offers so many insights into life, and living. It's set up as a series of stories, folk tales, etc. that are meant to teach lessons to young and old alike. I think of this book more as a reference than anything else and I look forward to sharing these words of wisdom from all over the world with my son.
Shaindel
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, children, parents...
As much as I can't stand William Bennett, I really love this book. I had a professor who used it as a text for our Ethics class, and I liked using it in addition to the pretty heavy philosophy textbook that was the "real" textbook for the class. Some wonderful stories and poems in here, "The Velveteen Rabbit," "The Children's Hour." A wonderful find for people of all ages.
Kathleen
Apr 26, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I saw this book was a few years ago at the Ghost City Inn in Jerome, Arizona. I fell in love with it. Well, I have finally purchased it for myself. This will give me many house of great reading... not to mention many great hours painting as well. I look forward to sitting and reading it to my Boys too. :)
Tricia
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of wonderful stories that encourage young and old to be at their moral best, and they are entertaining as well! It includes stories like the velveteen rabbit, to trues stories about Lincoln, founding fathers, and more. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially if you have kids!
  • The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • Everyday Graces: Child's Book Of Good Manners
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • A Toad for Tuesday
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • America's God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Pocahontas
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Rootabaga Stories
  • The Burgess Animal Book for Children
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Thomas Edison: Young Inventor
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...