Start by marking “El juego de Gerald” as Want to Read:
El juego de Gerald

El juego de Gerald

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  114,185 Ratings  ·  3,164 Reviews
En una cabaña islada, desnuda y esposada a la cabecera de la cama, Jessie asiste inerme al macabro desenlace del juego erótico de Gerald, el hombre con quien ha convivido durante veinte años y que está tendido en el suelo junto al lecho. Acuciada por el hambre y la sed, asediada por los fantasmas del pasado, adquiere conciencia de que la realidad es más pavorosa que la peo ...more
Published March 1993 by Grijalbo (first published May 1992)

To ask other readers questions about El juego de Gerald, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Louise Phillipson Well if she'd worked it out on page 10, we wouldn't have had much of a story, would we???
István Regös Because it's not a typical Stephen King-horror story. It's very hard to read and it's very good. People don't want to invest that much energy into a…moreBecause it's not a typical Stephen King-horror story. It's very hard to read and it's very good. People don't want to invest that much energy into a so called "horror" novel. It's well worth reading it. it's challenging but takes you on a journey like no other book.(less)

Trudi

I've re-read Gerald's Game several times since its 1992 publication, and have just finished listening to it as an audiobook. Here's what I know for sure:

1) this story has lost none of its power over me, despite the fact I know everything that's going to happen (quite an impressive feat for a largely plot-driven suspense piece)

2) it is without question, one of King's most underrated, overlooked novels. As of this writing its Goodreads rating is 3.26. Keeping it company in the basement is the mu
PirateSteve
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The regularity in which Stephen King writes 3 plus, 4 and 5 star books is staggering. What surprised me with Gerald's Game is after all these years Mr.King chose this book to spit in the face of horror.

This book commences with a solid, voyeuristic 4 star plot.

We move into the middle of the book like a hungry dog looking for it's next meal. Sniffing around for clues of what may happen next and how we would react.
3 plus/4 star writing pulls us into the story until it's no longer voyeuristic. It
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Trudi
Shelves: horror
”This wasn’t the smile, though. This was the grin--a version of it he seemed to save just for these sessions. She had an idea that to Gerald, who was on the inside of it, the grin felt wolfish. Piratical, maybe. From her angle, however, lying here with her arms raised above her head and nothing on but a pair of bikini panties, it only looked stupid, No...retarded. He was, after all, no devil-may-care adventurer like the ones in the mens’ magazines over which he had spent the furious ejaculations ...more
Stepheny
This book and I have a long history. When I was 9 or so, my mother gave me permission to read books from the “adult section” of the library. She gave me a note to hand to the librarian and all. So, after summer rec, I went into the library and decided I was ready to read some Stephen King. My sister read his books and she said they were better than the RL Stine ones. I had already gone through all the goosebumps and RL Stine “teen books”(don’t know if they are called anything special) and was re ...more
Mario
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, own-read
Sometimes it takes heart to write about a thing, doesn't it? To let that thing out of the room way in the back of your mind and put it up there on the screen.

This was, without a doubt, the most fucked up book I've ever read. So of course I loved it.

For some reason, I went into this book thinking I'm not going to like it. Jessie, our main character, is handcuffed to a bed and can't move. Doesn't sound that much exciting, right? Well, wrong.
I thought that the whole novel would be about Jessie tryi
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2017-shelf
I'm revising my previous estimation of this book up one star.

I'm gonna be a little spoilery. :)

Why? The re-read was actually rather satisfying. Yes, it's a novel about survival and all the kinds of crap that men make women do to satisfy themselves, but it's also a rather moving novel about keeping (or losing) one's sanity in the face of all those expectations.

Never mind the sheer horror of being handcuffed to a bed without hope of being saved because your lover just keeled over, or watching a d
Orsodimondo
Nov 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
PIÙ CHE UN GIOCO, È UNA PRESA IN GIRO
Lo spunto è interessante, promette bene: purtroppo non mantiene affatto.
Si tratta di un'idea da racconto, non dovrebbe andare oltre poche decine di pagine.

description

Invece King la tira in lungo e in largo, e questa edizione italiana peggiora tutto: 300 pagine fitte fitte rendono la lettura una fatica, la traduzione è abborracciata, la copertina orrenda.

description

Immagino che la scelta di dilatare oltre misura una storia come questa sia dovuta a ragioni commerciali, il romanzo s
Mia Nauca
Este libro es bastante oscuro, no es precisamente de terror pero probablemente te deje con una sensación de repulsión y enfermedad mucho peor que cualquier libro de miedo.

Es explícito y perturbador, no me esperaba los extremos a los que llegó King, con el pasado de la protagonista.

definitivamente hay partes que sobran y por momentos se torna aburrido. Acabo de ver la película y puedo decir que me gustó más que el libro, muy buena adaptación
Leo .
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johann (jobis89)
"Some nightmares never completely ended."

Jessie and Gerald Burlingame head to their holiday home by the lake in Maine for an afternoon of... certain activities. However, things quickly take a turn when Gerald drops dead from a heart attack, leaving Jessie handcuffed to the bed. Jessie is left to face all of her worst fears, as the voices in her head take over...

As someone who has a relatively short attention span, the premise of one character trapped in one location for almost the entirety of th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

People who know me are aware that I’m not much of a re-reader. Sure I’ve read Harry Potter a few times, but it’s not a general practice. When I saw Gerald’s Game was a new Netflix original, I thought I should give it another go. I assumed my mediocre rating was due to the fact that I read this back when I was a wee little high schooler and perhaps my delicate psyche wasn’t equipped to deal with it. About halfway through my second go ‘r
Sr3yas
DNF 33%

Trust me, I really tried.
(I chose to watch the movie instead, which is actually great! So if you find yourself stuck like me, tune in to Netflix and save some time)
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Whilst I have read a number of Stephen King books, mostly as a teenager, I was drawn to Gerald’s Game, due to the recent Netflix adaptation. Normally I would prefer to read the novel before the on screen adaptation, but in this case, I watched the screen version first. I enjoyed it immensely and as a result, I was keen to get my hands on the book. I always feel the book provides more depth and goes that one step further than the screen version.

Basically, Ger
Bill Khaemba
UPDATE: The adaptation was phenomenal!!! Captured the tone of the book, well acted & absolutely unsettling

I still believe that this is one of King’s best and most terrifying books ever. He managed to put the characters and the reader in one of the scariest situation, even after re-reading this I still hold my breath and anxi
Mandy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sara Bow
WOW wirklich das grausamste Buch, dass ich bisher gelesen habe..sehr packend und nichts für schwache nerven :/ Story war TOP
Neja
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is only a second book I've read, written by the incredible author Stephen King. And I now fully understand why he's so successful, why so many of his books got picked for movies. The way he describes things, situations, feelings, people… it's the way every author should do it. It's so detailed, so real you can almost smell it, feel it, feel the fear, the horror, the pain. There were parts in this book, that were so disgusting, wrong, awful that I had to take breaks reading it. It was too re ...more
Carol
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013, thriller
YIKES! This is one scary, creepy and unsettling book! Also sometimes disturbing, this horror story has many angles and surprises all the way to the unexpected ending. Quite a page-turner.
Erin
This was a hard one to rate. I'm going with 3 stars but I don't know if it deserves 3 stars. My feelings about this book were all over the place. At the beginning of the book I was bored and uninterested but about 100 pages in I became completely addicted but towards the end the story lost steam again. So I'm giving Gerald's Game 3 stars but I don't feel great about it.

Gerald's Game is probably one of the most polarizing Stephen King novels I've ever read. The reviews are all over the place, wh
Jamie
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you were to take a room full of Stephen King fans, hose them down, and ask them what they consider to be the worst Stephen King novel, many if not most of them would probably pick Gerald's Game. And I can see why, though this book about a woman who is handcuffed to her bed (kinky sex game and all that) when her husband dies of a heart attack has its moments.

Jessie Burlingame, the book's ensnared heroine, spends almost the whole time handcuffed to a bed. Geralyn says she once tried to read the
Phils Osophie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der absolute Wahnsinn. Psychologischer Horror vom aller aller feinsten. Anspruchsvoll, poetisch, spannend, grausam... King in Höchstform! 😍😍
Ali
Mar 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
If you are into handcuffs and sex you'll love and then immediately hate this book. I guarantee that after reading this book you will never willingly use real handcuffs again. Leave it to King to ruin another favorite pasttime.
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #1: A Book Made into a Movie You've Already Seen

(more like 3.5/5 stars)

This was was a strange reading experience for me. At times, it was super interesting and I didn't want to put it down, but at other points I was considering DNFing it. If it weren't for the boring, rambling bits that I feel weren't necessary, this would easily be a 4 star book for me. It was SO nasty and fucked up in so many ways (which I really liked) but it was also all over the pl
Ana Tijanić
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bila bi petica da pisac nije razvukao ovu odličnu priču na preteranih 450 stranica. Ovakvim razvuuučeeniim središnjim delom knjige psihički me je izmaltretirao u par navrata. Zbog toga, ocena manje.
Christy
Oh my gosh. So good! I bought this book for a quarter--and it was the best darn quarter I ever spent! What would be a pretty boring subject to work with in most writer's hands, is a true page turner in King's. It's full of psychological and physical tension the whole way through (with some majorly gross scenes, and creepy ones that make you want to sleep with your light on!).

The majority of the book (about 3/4) is just one woman, chained to a bed after her husband dies playing a sex game she de
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I know Stephen King is a legendary author especially when we're talking about the horror genre. I know for a fact that many horror movies were adapted from his well written novels but I definitely would not want to see a movie adaptation of this one. This book is just gross. The images used are just nauseating. Perhaps Stephen King deserves credit for being able to create for his readers super vivid imagery, you can just see how horrible it is in the reader's faces. This is why, I tagged this as ...more
A.J. Sefton
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Well, I suppose we've all been there at some point. Not necessarily handcuffed to the bedpost with only our dead spouse for company, but wondered what we would do if we were trapped and our life was at stake. I know I have.

In this highly detailed story, a woman is alone with the corpse of her husband and we discover the thoughts she has as she reflects on the discomforts and trauma of her life. Amongst these thoughts are her plans to obtain a drink of water and ultimately to escape.

The story is
Andre Gonzalez
This is the lowest rating I've ever given a Stephen King book. I've always heard negative comments about Gerald's Game, but decided to read it before the movie comes out later this year.

Overall, the story was good and entertaining. Different!

However, I feel it was just too drawn and dragged out, overboard! A lot of parts started to take too long to develop or seemed repetitive. I think if this book was trimmed in half and read as a novella like The Body or The Shawshank Redemption, then we have
Jeff Veesenmeyer
Mar 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
Becky
3.5 Stars

Being a lifelong King fan has its ups and downs, for sure, but it always makes things interesting. Like the time that this book was confiscated by a "concerned teacher" when I brought it to school with me. I think I was somewhere around 14 or 15ish, and had already been reading King for 5-6 years by that point. But she didn't care - this teacher didn't think Stephen King was appropriate reading material, that he wrote trash, and that I was better off reading, I dunno, Milton or somethin
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Inhuman Condition (Books of Blood, #4)
  • Mine
  • Guardian
  • Mr. Murder
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“If anyone ever asks you what panic is, now you can tell them: an emotional blank spot that leaves you feeling as if you've been sucking on a mouthful of pennies.” 56 likes
“Listening to it was like having a mud-slimed piece of silk drawn lightly back and forth across her face.” 10 likes