Start by marking “The Abigail Affair” as Want to Read:
The Abigail Affair

The Abigail Affair

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

The fast-paced, zany thriller from British author Timothy Frost that's sold over 30,000 Kindle copies worldwide.

Toby Robinson, twenty-two and broke, lands a job as deckhand on a Russian billionaire's yacht. On his first night aboard he is framed for the murder of a guest. And that's just the start of his problems. His attractive crewmate Julia seems to be the only one on h

Kindle Edition, American English, 305 pages
Published by Fast Editions (first published September 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Abigail Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abigail Affair

Carla
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
If you enjoy well-paced adventures, tales of amateur sleuths making good and have a soft spot for British characters and humor, then `The Abigail Affair' by British author, Timothy Frost, is sure to appeal.

`The Abigail Affair', Frost's second novel since ditching a successful career as an advertising copywriter, has a lot going for it.

Its plot has been well structured, with an exciting prologue and an adventure-genre suitable ending. Frost uses appropriate descriptive detail and tension-creating
James Cridland
Jan 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm afraid, I found this almost laughable.

It might be really cheap; but that is probably one of its only saving graces. This reads as if it aimed at 12 year olds. Toby is an immature idiot, the plot is both unbelievable and dreadful - one particular part making me laugh out loud. Given the total swearing in this book is limited to 'bleeding' and one or two s-words, I suspect it is a kid's book: yet the plot descends imto over-complex narcotics and business stuff in the middle which has no place
Vicki Tyley
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
Twenty-two-year-old Toby Robinson joins a Russian yacht as crew, clueless to what he's signed up for. Ruthless Russians, subterfuge and dead bodies abound.

The Abigail Affair is an action-packed and enthralling contemporary nautical thriller. There's no fluff or flat spots and the story is always moving. What stood out most about this book, though, was Toby's voice and larrikin sense of humour - distinctive yet not contrived.

Highly recommended.
C.L.R. Dougherty
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well done. Given that I've published the first book in my Caribbean-based thriller series, I was fascinated to find someone else working along similar lines. The writing and editing were top notch, and the story was great.
Mary
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller. Like author's style and look forward to reading more by him.
Valerie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun summer read!
Lene
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book..

Poor Toby gets himself into all sorts of trouble in his new job on a luxury yacht, and I had to keep on reading to see how he would get himself out of this one.
Nev Thomas
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Good thriller
The Bookworms' Lair
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I downloaded this about a week ago as it was listed as free on Amazon ( it's now £1.25) so it was a bit of a bargain really and the synopsis and positive reviews really drew me in. Normally I quite like thrillers but this one just didn’t do it for me, it didn’t really grip me until the last chapters and even then it was more a mild curiosity rather than an I can’t put it down page turner. It’s also described as ‘zany’ and ‘humorous’ in the comments clipped from Amazon reviews so I was expecting ...more
Rebecca Graf
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this was a read that was full of mystery and comedy. It wasn’t silly comedy. It was the comedy of watching a very unique character and get inside their mind. Their views of a situation had me chuckling even when death was on the line.

You see the story through the first person eyes of a young man who is on a yacht thinking it will be something way different than what he finds himself in. He has a knack for losing jobs and spending his family’s money rather easily. But now he finds that he m
Anne
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Getting towards the end of the challenge but struggling because I can't both write and read so I looked for some simple things and found this. It's probably the second or third sea story I've read and I must say I don't see the fascination but it was an all right story.

Told in third person restricted which kept it tight but occasionally made Toby seem like a complete moron, and all the other characters very superficial. There was also occasional head hopping, a massive 'as you know Bob' style in
Christy
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
The descriptors "fast-paced", "entertaining", "tongue-in-cheek", and "dose of humor" drew me to this book. Add to it the idea of evil Russians and I'm there. I was disappointed. The prologue was the best part. I really wanted to quit reading this by a quarter of the way through but I really hate to not at least give the book a fair chance. The end redeemed it in a way but there was way too much "stuff" in between that just made me want to gnash my teeth in frustration.
Jean Browne
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was ok but nothing more. I thought the author expected readers to blindly accept all the far fetched predicaments the main character got into and then got out of it. I lost interest through in the middle because I found it too hard to accept, but I muddled through. The end actually picked up a bit, but all in all I was disappointed. I hoped for more.
Kim Bondy
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Ehh...a decent read. The last 20% was the best part of the book as with many mysteries. Since it was a free download, no complaints. If I had paid for the book, I would think it worth mentioning that the middle seemed to drag a little, and it seemed pretty unlikely that the main character would change decisions as he did.
Jeanette
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Had it not been for a friend's recommendation, i probably would never have read this book. After the first few pages, I found myself unable to put this book down, despite some parts being far fetched. Loved the character of Toby.
Lisa
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though this isn't the type of book I normally read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had to stop and catch my breath a few times, as the action is non-stop.
Toby and I have the same kind of luck, and I can only hope that I would be as resourceful in his situation.
Joo
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A decent enough story, although why he didn't leave the boat at the first chance was a bit far fetched.
Dixie
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
A little far fetched having a young, broke, inexperienced 22 year old bar tender run into adventure after adventure on the high seas!
Amanda
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
An OK Kindle cheapie. Not as thrilling as I would have liked, and I didn't relate the main character, but a light read for a holiday.
Rae
Dec 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Found it almost silly. Elaborate conversations at illogical times. Would not recommend.
Chrissi
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a quick and easy read and a decent enough thriller. Some parts are a bit far-fetched!
John Marsh
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A good read. Found it a little drawn out but has a good pace. Set in the Caribbean.
April
  • The Prophet Motive
  • The Eve Tree
  • Wrecker
  • Double Exposure
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • An American Outlaw
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Throne
  • Ulterior Motives
  • Night Game
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Life, Inc.
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Witness to Death