Start by marking “Gaspard de la Nuit” as Want to Read:
Gaspard de la Nuit

Gaspard de la Nuit

Gaspard de la Nuit (originally published in 1842) combines the haunting Gothic imagery of ETA Hoffman with the colorful romantic verve of Victor Hugo. In it, you will meet Scarbo the vampire dwarf, Ondine, the faerie princess of the waters, and an unforgettable assortment of lepers, alchemists, beggars, swordsmen and ghosts. Gaspard de la Nuit inspired Baudelaire, Rimbaud, ...more
Published May 18th 2004 by Hollywood Comics (first published 1836)

To ask other readers questions about Gaspard de la Nuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaspard de la Nuit

Start your review of Gaspard de la Nuit
Bill Kerwin

A book may be influential without being lengthy or long remembered. Each prose poem, each surreal lyric, each tale of terror written in the last one hundred and seventy five years owes a debt--conscious or unconscious--to this little forgotten book.

Aloysius Bertrand's only book is indeed a slim one, written in his teens and twenties. It is little known, and uneven and eccentric in quality. Yet Bertrand won the admiration of his contemporaries Hugo, Saint-Beuve, and Nodier, created the form of
João Reis
Algumas entradas são bastante boas, mas muitas outras são verdadeiramente crípticas para o leitor atual. Ainda assim, um bom livro.
Guido
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho trovato Gaspard de la Nuit mentre curiosavo, una sera, tra i libri a metà prezzo. Ero indeciso, non ne sapevo nulla: il cellophane mi impediva di sfogliarlo; la descrizione sulla quarta di copertina, criptica ed elusiva, non mi permetteva di indovinarne il contenuto facendo ricorso a qualche pregiudizio, come si decide delle qualità di una persona affidandosi alle dicerie che la riguardano, o valutando le sue compagnie. Sono davvero felice di questa piccola scoperta.

È un libro gotico e
Phinehas
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Black Coat Press has done us a great service in publishing Donald Sidney-Fryer's translation of this important and influential work. That being said, whoever okayed the cover illustration should be shot.
The Literary Chick
Lovely, magical, with darkness. 'A succession of paintings through the medium of words.'
Νίκος Βιτωλιώτης
Δεν πρόκειται για συμβατική ποίηση με μέτρο κι ομοιοκαταληξία, αλλά περισσότερο για πρόζα, με έντονο ωστόσο ρυθμό. Μπορεί κανείς να δει το κάθε ποίημα σαν μια σύντομη ιστορία. Μια ονειρική περιγραφή, σκοτεινή και μακάβρια, τρομακτική και φανταστική. Έξι κύκλους ποιημάτων περιλαμβάνει ο Γασπάρ, που όπως λέει ο ίδιος ο Μπερτράν, τον συνάντησε κάποιο βράδυ σ' ένα δάσος και μιλήσανε για πολλά και διάφορα που συνέβησαν στη Γαλλία, στη Βουργουνδία και στη Φλάνδρα. Για κακούς νάνους με μυτερά καπέλα ...more
Epithymetikon
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
perfect, amazing, poetic
Emily Rosewater
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Клеймить бы "одной из самых значимых" для индивидуального творчества поэтических работ, кабы малейшая нужда была в клейме.
Без сомнения, Эзра Паунд не смог бы, во всём его неподдельном величии беглеца, произвести подобного впечатления на автора рецензии, как человека сочинительствующего.
Эзра Паунд читался вслух в осиновой роще, впрочем, Бертран не озвучивался, но звучал, проницая повседневность одним лишь присутствием текста (болтающегося) за спиной или на боку. Но к чему сравнивать несравнимое?
Kat
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been reading Gaspard de la Nuit researching a new novel, so it's not what I'd normally read (although I do enjoy French fiction and poetry very much!). When Bertrand is on fire, it's fascinating and haunting prose. I won't forget the sorceress who rides the flying corpse of a dead horse (cannot unsee...). Some of it I would need to take more time to process, and some of it is simply dated.

I'm not going to review the translation here, just the contents, but I will say that I'm very glad
Stephen B
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The translator Sidney-Fryer's introduction is pretty awful: stilted, hackneyed, repetitive, badly structured. Honestly, I'd hate to read this guy's own work if this is his standard. So with some reluctance I read the poems, hoping the translation was at least faithful, or somewhat elegant; and then my heart sunk when I read Sidney-Fryer translated and *adapted* this work. I did enjoy the prose poems, but feel uncertain that he's done any justice, so I'll keep an eye out to find John T. Wright's ...more
Steven Middaugh
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of The Night

Interesting prose poems with some historical incidents, some supernatural whimsy, and subtle menace. Nothing terribly cosmic about it. Still, immensely enjoyable. An interesting if overlong intro into the author and his work. But really, skip the rest of the introduction, and read the prose poems. Dammit!
Liv
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I was impatient, so read the prose-poems before the intro and afterword. If you are versed in symbology, mythology and earlier classics, you will probably appreciate this on more levels than I can. Nevertheless, despite the short length of the poems, they are lush and enchanting.
Salman Shamim
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's amazing how a lot of shorts tales presented in this book resonate with today and prevalent injustices.
Gustl
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertrand mi ha incuriosito: precipuamente per aver influenzato Baudelaire, nella stesura dello: "Spleen di Parigi", e poi, perché considerato il "padre" del poema in prosa francese. La musicalità delle parole l'ho avvertita suadente ed armonica, ma avendo letto poco prima quel capolavoro di ferocia, che è: " I canti di Maldoror", temo che Lautreamont, abbia contribuito ad offuscare quell'appagamento un po' sadico, che di norma è il mio metro di giudizio per valutare questo tipo di opere.
Laginestra
Nov 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: l, francese
Fantasie bizzarre, scomposte, intuitive e fertili. Sarebbe da salvare solo per l'influenza che ha avuto su altri autori, dalle meraviglie pianistiche di Ravel ai poemetti parigini di Baudelaire.
Caleb
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
A poor translation of a superlative book.
Emanuela V
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
fiabe crudeli come piacciono a me.
César Lasso
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El libro, muy breve, me encantó. Combina surrealismo febril (parece que el autor se estaba muriendo de tuberculosis cuando lo escribió) con belleza poética.
Vladimir Nicolae
rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2018
Lucie
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2016
Feb 22, 2019
Renate
Jul 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Description in French - Gaspard de la Nuit 3 14 Oct 10, 2019 03:56PM

• Paris Spleen
  • How to Behave in a Crowd
  • Rumor
  • Los ingrávidos
  • The Unnamable
  • La fable du monde ; suivi de, Oublieuse memoire (Collection Poesie)
  • Les Fleurs du Mal
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
“No! God, flash blazing in the symbolic triangle, is not the number traced in the lips of human wisdom.” 0 likes