Start by marking “My One and Only” as Want to Read:
My One and Only

My One and Only

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  14,533 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews
Just when she thought she had life and love all figured out...

Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic.

Harper can
Published March 29th 2011 by HQN Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My One and Only, please sign up.

·  14,533 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews

Start your review of My One and Only
Melissa
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

If you’re in the mood for a great laugh, My One and Only won't have to work very hard to drag it out of you. This addictive, snarky and all-around hilarious story played out like a rom-com in my mind, scene by glorious scene. A second chance romance I gobbled up like yummy buttery popcorn.

I’ll admit, the beginning of the story was a tad cheesy for my taste buds, but considering my love for If You Only Knew, I decided to stick it out and it more than paid off. Turns out, the level of
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
4 1/2 I-freakin-love-these-two-stars !!! :) .

ME: I KNOW !!!!
Seriously..With such a solid plot and lovable main characters..I found it very hard To find faults with 'MY ONE & ONLY'

"COME ON FLOREANCE !"I yelled out of the window."CAN YOU MOVE IT ?"
The driver of the car extended and arm....and a finger.
It was a male arm and a finger.

And then the car door opened,with my ex husband stepping out.

ME: Lmao.....Seriously these Two

LOL these guys are hilarious,and if not that...just plain beautiful tog
Didi
4.5 STARS

This is going into the 'faves by Kristan Higgins' pile. It was angsty, emotional and beautifully written. Nick Lowery,( all I think is Bad Boys with Will Smith!), is probably one of the most endearing and compelling male Hero's by this author. He's right up there with Lucas from Waiting On You, with the same dark, gypsy eyes that never fail to tell a story, and the same intense temperament that manages to lure you in and trap you.
His dedication on initially wooing Harper when they were
KarenH
First of all, if you are on the fence about whether or not to read this book because it is giving you that "chick-lit" vibe, you can climb down now sista and start reading ...this one is all about the romance.

My One and Only is Harper Evan's story, a 33-year-old divorce (and divorced) lawyer living year-round on Martha's Vineyard with her Toto-lookalike dog. She is attractive, successful...but OMG what a force to be reckoned with!. She is cynical, she is sarcastic and she has extreme OCD issues.
BookLover
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Divorce Attorney Risks Hell and High Water to Win Her Man”

One of the better second chance romances I have read and I LOVE a good second chance romance.

Harper, a successfully and often UN-impartial divorce attorney, had her world turned upside down when she was forced to face her painful past in the form of ex-husband Nick. Her sister was marrying Nick’s brother, Christopher, and Harper hadn’t seen Nick in thirteen years.

On the outside, Harper had been ticking off all the boxes that would gi
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, audiobook
This was a painfully . . . painful read. I came close to stopping twice and while I don't quite regret continuing on, I'm not terribly pleased, either.

Higgins wastes the first quarter of the book or so meandering around the central relationship. Harper has a boyfriend she has proposed to and his entire function as a character is to serve as a barometer for exactly how emotionally immature Harper is. Hint: really, very, incredibly, even shockingly immature. Worse than the boyfriend are the coy hi
♥Sharon♥
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

What a wonderful story!!

I just love Kristan Higgins writing. Her books always leave me with that warm fuzzy feeling. She has a knack for taking you on a bit of a roller coaster ride with her characters that will have your heart doing funny things and put a silly grin on your face.

I adored Harper and Nick's story. ❤

(This has nothing to do with the book rather it is an image result for 'warm fuzzy feeling') :)
A fun but also sad story about divorce and the complications of everything left unsaid.

My favorite quote:
“If only…the saddest words in the English language.”
Dija
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of contemporary romance.
Recommended to Dija by: GoodReads, based on my 2011 shelf.
My list of authors to stalk follow keeps growing every time I read a new contemporary novel, it seems. My One and Only is the first book of Kristan Higgin's I've read, and I can't wait to read the rest of them.

My One and Only begins with divorce attorney, Harper, trying and failing to convince her boyfriend of more than 2 years to finally marry her, as she'll be turning 34 soon and wants a stable family life. While she's popping the question, her sister calls to tell her that she's getting marri
willaful
There’s a scene in this book in which Harper and Nick, reuinted exes, watch a movie in a theater while loudly snarking and annoying everyone near them, just like old times. If you get the sense from that that both of these people are kind of self-absorbed assholes, well, I think you’d be right.

I’m so ambivalent about this book. It was well-written and powerful, and I couldn’t put it down, so it doesn’t seem appropriate to give it a low rating. Yet I can’t exactly say I “liked” it. Parts of it we
Tammy
Wow. I guess I'm the odd girl out. This one has five star reviews. Many four stars. And then there's my lonely little one star.

Like others, I hoped to warm up to Harper. But she was full of selfish ambition. Very self-centered. A horrible attorney - too emotional and hostile to be productive in a law office - or to be an effective advocate in the courtroom. She made bad decisions. Definitely pushed my legal geek button.

It was fairly obvious that Kristin Higgans tried to give Harper's character
Irina
I guess this makes it official: I'm back into het romance.

This was just perfect. Period.
It has the most amazing cast - from the extremely likeable and relatable MC, Harper, whom I couldn't help but see as Donna Paulsen/Sarah Rafferty, to dreamy Nick (oh, Nick), from that sweet lug Dennis to exasperatingly sweet BeverLee - and a plot that's pretty linear up to a certain point, and then starts twisting and turning around like one of those crazily powerful hoses you see in comedies.
It has elements
A_Ryan
5 "Holy Testicle Tuesday" Stars!!!!

"It never even occurred to me that we wouldn’t make it . And it never occurred to you that we would.

What's it about: About a cynical romantic who divorces the one and twelve years later finds that their paths cross again.

The best bits: It is hilarious!!!

I absolutely love Higgins' writing. She has fast become one of my go-to authors. As always, she captures the chemistry between two main characters beautifully, and here she creates two souls who wer
Vinaya
I ♥ Kristan Higgins. Along with Jennifer Crusie, she is one of the Queens of Contemporary Romance. I've read every book she's written, and they're always consistently warm, funny, moving and, most of all, romantic. At a time when way too many romance novels rely on the 'Me Tarzan, You Jane' formula, Higgins forms a bright spot in the firmament, with stories that are real, characters that are flawed, and relationships that are warm and funny.

My One and Only, like most of Kristan's books, has a s
Nomes
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading this book was exactly like watching a romantic comedy.

I like reading books like this for indulgent relaxation. For some swoony/fun times. For the romantic in me (I guess, haha).

I don't expect depth. It's the kind of book that is predictable just after reading the back blurb. A guilty pleasure indulgent read.

The thing is, I am not the hugest fan of romantic comedies. As much as I want to love them, they more often than not frustrate me. Still, I continually go back searching for more (w
Karla
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, funny
Wonderful! Just a sweet story about getting it right the second time around. Lot's of great characters, especially Harper and Nick. He's so laid back and willing to let life play itself out, and she over-thinks things, and acts on a whim. Yet they are perfect for each other. Her feelings were so well written, that even though Harper's personality was annoying, my heart just broke for her. Nick's declaration of love just warmed me through and through. Loved it!
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

Have you ever had that one person that from the moment you met them they took your breath away and immediately you knew you would never be the same again?

Harper and Nick were madly in love- at age 21 and after two years or dating she knows she wants to be with him, that he is THE ONE

Nick...

Harper...

She just doesn't want to get married just yet..
But she does, because he asks and because love can withstand it all, right?

That's what Harper thought, until Nicks aspirations and dreams came first
Miss Kim
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This gets a 3/5 for me. I turn to Kristin Higgins recently when I want a funny, feel good read, but this really didn’t do it for me. The heroine, Harper, was grating, and she never really grew on me. Yeah, yeah, stilted emotionally by a run-away mother, heard that one…but… meh. She had the chance at the perfect guy twice and blows it the first time, and by some luck ends up keeping him in the end. Part of my dislike with her was that she constantly thought or said “crotch!” or “holy testicle Tue ...more
Mo
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars ...

Aw, this was lovely. Even with all the ups and downs to get to the HEA, it was worth it. Now, you know me, I love an alpha asshole male but Nick Lowery (who is not one) really stole my heart. He was adorable. Although how he put with with some of Harper's antics were beyond me. But I do get her reasons for bailing out the first time around.

Thrown together on a road trip from Montana to New York, the have to communicate and find if there is still some spark there.

Great cast of side c
MBR
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary romance and second chances!
Recommended to MBR by: Found on netgalley
5+ Stars Emotional Wrenching Goodness!!

I have always heard very good things about Kristan Higgins. Though I have a couple of her books in my to-be-read pile which I have yet to make a dent in, which just keeps growing in monstrous proportions on me, I decided to take the plunge into her stories with this read that was up for grabs on Net Galley. I was surprised and a little bit thrilled when my request to read this which is to be released on the 29th of this month got approved. So here I go, r
Bj
4.5 "Jaded Divorce Attorney 2nd Chance at a HEA" Stars!

This is my second Kristan Higgins' book, and I can honestly say I get why she has such a loyal following. There is just a certain transcendental quality to her characters that grab you and draw you in. Moreover, her romances demonstrate great depth from the intensity of the characters unique quirks to an underlying comical nature that will have you secretly smiling, to the endearing romance that will have your heart warming, Ms. Higgins know
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance

This is my favorite Kristan Higgins read. Harper annoyed me, but her innate fear of abandonment and commitment were palpable and heartbreaking. I wanted so much for her and Nick to work out their issues and finally get their much deserved HEA. I got choked up several times and shed quite a few tears, but KH perfectly balances the emotional angst with her signature style of quirky humor. I loved it! Solid 5 stars!
KatLynne
I loved this book and can easily say it is my favorite by this author. Not only did I love the H/h, but the secondary characters were so interesting and lovable too. I found myself laughing, crying and anxiously turning the pages hoping for Nick Lowery & Harper James to get their much deserved HEA.

Splage
What a great read, and I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be this good, easy read... yes, but I loved it. Kristan Higgins is the type of author that I don't always love her stuff, though I usually like it. Mainly because she is very clean in the passion and therefore, she has to write the connections beautifully to get me to buy into it or excited about it. My One and Only was a great one for me. It was very mild in the sex department, but such a engaging story that it still worked. Also, w ...more
~Tina~
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shark divorce attorney and realistic-thinker, Harper James, just found out that her little sister Willa is getting married. Again. Only she happens to know the groom since Willa is marrying her ex-husbands brother.
To make an even more uncomfortable situation worse, Harper finds herself on a cross country road-trip home with Nick, causing her very guarded heart to open up again. Can Harper and Nick remember what love was suppose to be all about, or will they make the same mistakes all over again?
Mary Kay
May 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Harlequin Books
My personal opinion:

What a compelling read! Harper James will make you laugh and sigh with frustration. She suffered a major heartbreak and divorce that has skewed the way she looks at every relationship since. Her firefighter boyfriend was perfect for her because he never demands more than she was willing to offer. He followed direction well too. :) Harper thought life was pretty good until she got a call from her younger stepsister with the news she was getting married to someone she has known
Janet Robel
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok, at first I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of Harper. I think it was the way she tried controlling everything in her life, even a marriage proposal. Then as the story moved along, I thought it was really good. Once Nick entered the picture, it's like we see a whole new side of Harper. These two have previously been married, and the chemistry is still there. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Elle
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets, favorites
I was lucky enough to get access to a arc of this book, and me and Kristan Higgins' books, we're tight. So I jumped at the chance to read this.

First things first, ignore the cover image. Yes, the general idea is correct in that there are 2 main characters, there is a dog and a red convertible mustang. But the characters aren't 17 like the cover suggests, nor is the heroine blonde. I (secretly) love when the cover art doesn't match up. I feel like I just caught someone doing something wrong.

This
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I was looking for a book that specifically was about a road trip so when I came across a Kristan Higgins book, I knew I had to read it. I’ve only read Higgins’ Blue Heron series so reading a standalone novel was either going to go very good for me or very bad. Not surprisingly, I fell in love with this book so much that it’s actually one of the better books I’ve read this year (even though it isn’t a new release).

Harper James has reached an age where she is looking to settle down. As a divo
Fans of Kristan H...: Which Higgins Romance had you BAWLING? 9 71 Sep 24, 2015 10:26AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: My One and Only by Kristan Higgins 1 2 Feb 01, 2014 03:04PM
Something like Kristan Higgins novels? 11 316 Jan 02, 2013 06:16PM

• Mermaid Inn
  • What You Wish For
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Ingredients of You and Me (Hopeless Romantics, #3)
  • On the Corner of Love and Hate (Hopeless Romantics, #1)
  • Meet Me on Love Lane (Hopeless Romantics, #2)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Beach Read
  • Big Summer
  • 28 Summers
  • Hello, Summer
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Friend Zone
  • The Summer Deal (Wildstone, #5)
  • Not Like the Movies (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #2)
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times, USA TODAY, Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of 19 novels, which have been translated into more than two dozen languages and sold millions of copies worldwide. Her books have received dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Kirkus, The New York Journal of Books, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal , People and ...more