Start by marking “Engineman” as Want to Read:
Engineman

Engineman

A thrilling action adventure from the author of 'Helix' and 'Kethani', 'Engineman' also includes nine related stories set in the Engineman universe, including 'The Time-Lapsed Man'.
Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Published 2010 by Solaris (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Engineman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engineman

Les
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I haven't read a book by Eric Brown that I haven't enjoyed and this was another example. It seemed to start off a little slowly initially, but ramped up sufficiently to a nice pace that wasn't overly fast, either, but comfortable. The ending came on a little too fast, though, and I seem to remember feeling like this about Penumbra, another of Brown's books. The story was also slightly light on action, for me. Still good, but a bit more would've earned it another point.

The guts of the story is re
Steve Gillway
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Jonathan
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Buddhist terrorists save nirvana from entropy while longing for death.

A squalid bunch of pleasure seeking addicts meander about, led by an evil genius to change society. This is a fairly naked tract, overlaid with story elements, though goodness me these Buddhists don't seem like very nice people. The plot is rather laboured and unconvincing, the writing is just about ok, but the glory of space flight is never sold to the reader very well. Cynical Grainger in Brian Stableford's Hooded Swan novel
Liviu
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ok, 2 1/2 stars so a D+/C- for the engaging style that kept me reading the novel, though I lost patience with the stories that follow and are set in its milieu; the book shows its age and even 15+ years ago it would have been a mediocre mid-list sf, today it is dated to boot.

Talk, talk and talk in one thread; the other starts intriguing and then it goes in "Red Hood and the Wolf" mode with girl lost among bad guys - just like that and losing all suspension of disbelief.

Penumbra which deals with
Nick
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was weird but I started reading the novel and thought I've already read this (probably started it a while back and forgot I didn't get very far). So I ended up reading the short stories and they really engaged me. Went back and read the novel and really liked it. Ok, its clichéd at times and most of the ideas seem as if they are lifted from other books, however I sped through it and enjoyed it probably to the same degree as a good popcorn flick at the movies. Don't expect to engage your brain ...more
Lee Pfahler
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have now read several of Eric Brown's science fiction novels and at least three of them this year alone and there is not a bad one among them. He tells wonderful stories of redemption and adventure with strong characterization and plot. And the bonus to my copy is several short stories written in the Engineman universe which introduce some different characters and tells more of the backstory to one of the semi-major characters in the novel. I may just get one more of his books read this year; ...more
Kevin
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
The core problem with this book for me was that none of the characters were at all interesting to me. They were all standard cyberpunk characters, none of whom I found at all compelling. Add to that a core plot lifted prety much directly from Dan Simmons's Hyperion/Endymion series, and it was quite disapointing.

Not recommended.
Cerie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in work, must have been in the mid-nineties, and it sat unread on my bookshelves, until last month.

It's a pretty good read, and I was struck at the start by the similar theme to Cordwainer Smith's 'Scanners Live in Vain' - people who'd once been essential to space travel but were now effectively made obsolete by technological changes.
Derek
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Although it read well, the plot was underwhelming. I kept waiting for a twist to make it interesting, but it never arrived. The extreme changes of heart of at least two major characters were never really justified, the overarching enemy never appeared, and one character returned from the dead just to do some exposition and then was dropped completely.
Katrina
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The novel that makes up the first two-thirds of this book is thoroughly enjoyable...the nine short stories also good, but they become a bit repetitive towards the end. Interesting universe, thoughtfully created characters. I will look for more from Eric Brown!
DMS
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Joseph Anonymous
A good book, but it felt... unfinished.
Alan Vardy
Not a bad read, but hardly memorable. A simple sci - fi story with a strong Buddhist bent to it. I wouldn't recommend.
Greg
Jan 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Engineman by Eric Brown 3 13 Oct 15, 2018 02:56PM
  • Reach for Infinity
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • The Complete Adventures of Lucky Starr (Lucky Starr, #1-6)
  • Miruna, a Tale
  • Miss Homicide Plays the Flute
  • The Kind Folk
  • Oceanic
  • After Death...
  • Cusp
  • Works
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • Glorious Nemesis
  • Pathfinder Tales: Queen of Thorns
  • A King of Infinite Space (Near Space, #5)
  • Ivory (Birthright #14)
  • Africa Zero
  • Dead Bad Things
Eric Brown was born in Haworth, West Yorkshire, in 1960, and has lived in Australia, India and Greece. He began writing in 1975, influenced by Agatha Christie and the science fiction writer Robert Silverberg. Since then he has written over forty-five books and published over a hundred and twenty short stories, selling his first story in 1986 and his first novel in 1992. He has written a dozen book ...more