Start by marking “When I Get Where I'm Going” as Want to Read:
When I Get Where I'm Going

When I Get Where I'm Going

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
From the bestselling author, an inspirational novel about three sisters who rediscover each other-and themselves...
After thirteen years in Hollywood, Alicia Day is giving up her dream of stardom and heading home to Detroit-and back to her roots.
Hope Teesdale is desperately seeking the truth about her husband's death when she hears from her long-lost half-sister Alicia.
Published September 1st 2010 by New American Library (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When I Get Where I'm Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Get Where I'm Going

Artis
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was put off at first with some of the characters in the novel. But, the story grew and so did the characters and I end up enjoying the novel.
Kim
Aug 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The prologue was so unreal I didn't bother to read the rest of the book.
Read In Colour
Alicia Day is a struggling actress originally from Detroit, now living in Hollywood. When she headed west with her best friend, Aubrey, both were determined to become the next big thing. So far Aubrey has made it big, but the only big things about Alicia are the fibroid tumors she keeps ignoring.

Hope Teesdale lost her second husband in a boating accident. At twenty-seven she's too young to be the bitter, widow that she's become. She's locked into her small corner of the world that consists solel
Debra
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I Get Where I’m Going

3 sisters with one thing in common, their father.

Heaven is a confused, abused and a lucky girl.

Hope is angry, hurt and is a widow from suspicious circumstances

Alicia has been trying to make it in Hollywood for 13 years, with a friend who is her worse enemy.

The sisters find out about each other from a letter from their father, who is in jail for murder.

Alicia has been contacted by Heaven who claims to be her sister. They share the same father. So when Alicia comes home
Reader's Paradise
Fans of Theodore “Tower” Evans, Porter Washington, Georgia Brown, and Olena Day, take note! Here’s the story of a tragedy that one family cannot seem to get away from, that is until they realize you gotta be in it to win it. Sisterhood is winning, moving pass family dysfunctions together and ultimately being free; is the winning ticket.
When I Get Where I’m Going opens with a letter addressed to Heaven from her dad. In his letter it is his prayer that all of his letters are being forwarded to Hea
Claudia
One thing in common that will take them from not having that perfect life, their father that will introduce them from his prison cell by a letter, but time is on their sides.

Alicia Day left Detroit behind along with her best friend that turns out to be her worst nightmare and it was so hard for her not to believe all the auditions that was stolen right from under her by the one and only, two face of a best friend. Life for Alicia turns out to be a bitter sweet when she has to return back to Det
The Book Chick
Audiobook I read this several years back and wrote a review afterwards;narrated by Sherri Peele 2010. I am a picky reader/listener and I happened to pick this book up when I became frustrated with another book that was going no where fast. This book did not whet my appetite to begin with but I automatically knew it would be better than the one I dropped. This book was good. The characters evolved. The storyline was different and I can say that this author did not have to drape and saturate the s ...more
Teaguem2005
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it took me 8 days to finish this book, believe me; it's not because it wasn't good because it really was. This novel was about family, forgiveness, learning your self worth, and growth. Sisters Hope and Faith grow up without their parents and witnessed the death of their mother. That single event understandably shaped their life. Their father informs them one day that they have another sister named Alicia. Alicia was unaware of her birth father or the fact that she had sisters.

The auth
Nikki
Dec 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book did have some redeeming qualities. Most notably there was an actual plot which had a few twists and turns although some seemed highly unlikely.

This is the story of three sisters overcoming their past to find peace with themselves and each other. However, the writing is quite trite and a bit elementary as many books in this genre are. The author's attempt to be descriptive only succeeded in inundating the reader in unnecessary details about streets, restaurants and other places in Detr
Cathy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Heaven, Hope and Alicia three sisters who need each other more than they think. What kept my attention was the fact that I never grew up with sisters so I wanted to know what was so bad that Hope wouldn't want anything to do with them. I wasn't crazy about Hope's character but I really liked Heaven and wanted her to be alright. I was happy when Alicia finally opened her eyes regarding both her best friends. I was even glad that Hope found love right in front of her. Mostly because when people fi ...more
Tamara Beeler
I was not expecting much. This book was a little silly, but I enjoyed it. Good light reading. And she didn't make the characters talk like idiots just because they were black. I will read more of her books.
Chivon
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good. It's the kind of book that has you wondering what is going on with the characters when you are not reading it. I loved hearing about Hope, Heaven, and Alicia and who can can resist a happily ever after ending.
Bonnie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long read-not to say it wasn't good but it does have it's lulls and at time is a bit predictable. All in all it is a book which reminds us that there is nothing like the bonds of family thru the good and bad, highs and lows, ups and downs.
Lady K
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read, full of twist and turns that made it a page turner. All of the characters are interesting.
Teri Rainey
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book the ending wasn't quite what I thought it was going be.
toya
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
Even the Prologue is boring! I stopped 20 pages in.
Fontella Bush
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I hope that there's a sequel to it!
Courtney
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What did you like the most from book? 8 8 Mar 27, 2012 07:21PM
  • Here and Now
  • Lottie Paris Lives Here
  • Postcards from Cookie: A Memoir of Motherhood, Miracles, and a Whole Lot of Mail
  • Single Girl Summer
  • Tastes Like Chicken
  • Becoming Mrs. Right
  • Nappily in Bloom (Nappily, #5)
  • You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Mama's Boy
  • Don't Ever Tell
  • A Woman's Worth
  • Trouble Don't Last Always
Cheryl currently resides in Florida. For the past sixteen years, she has been busy writing contemporary adult fiction. While writing is her first love, making delicious green smoothies is easily her second. She also enjoys spoiling her miniature Schnauzer and whipping up healthy meals from recipes she finds online.

For more about Cheryl and the Until Ray trilogy visit: cherylrobinson.com and until
More about Cheryl Robinson...