Start by marking “Nightshade: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery” as Want to Read:
Nightshade: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery

Nightshade: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery (Hugh Corbett #16)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An unscrupulous manor lord has reneged on his promise to hand over a priceless ornate cross stolen from the Templars during the Crusades. Furthermore, he has massacred as heretics fourteen members of a religious order. The King sends Hugh Corbett, devoted emissary of King Edward I to Mistleham in his stead...
Published April 12th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nightshade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightshade

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I can't believe this is the 16th in the Hugh Corbett Medieval Mysteries series, and I have them all!!! Not only that, I'm now up to date, with the next in the series due to be published in paperback on 1 November 2010.

I've enjoyed the character development throughout the series. Sir Hugh Corbett wants to spend quality time with his wife, and is anguished each time the King sends him away on a new piece of business. Meanwhile Ranulf is power hungry and keen to advance, eagerly accepting secret in
Ben Babcock
I like historical fiction, and I like mysteries, but above all I like historical mysteries. While more familiar with Paul Doherty's work set in ancient Egypt, I still enjoyed this mystery set in early 14th century England. Thanks to Doherty's enchanting descriptions and vivid characterization, Nightshade drew me into the year 1304.

I probably have read other Hugh Corbett novels, but I can't remember them. Going off this novel alone, it's hard to get a sense of his character. We spend very little
Kalendra Dee
Sir Hugh Corbett is sent by King Edward I to recover an ornate Templar cross that fell into the hands of Lord Oliver Scrope. Scrope acquired the cross after a Templar stronghold in the Holy Land fell to the Saracens, and he helped himself to some of the treasure stored within the Templar walls. Scrope is also in trouble with Edward in that he exceeded his authority and massacred a traveling religious troupe whom he had labeled as heretics. Corbett finds the village is being terrorized by an assa ...more
Doris
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I finished this a couple of days ago, but could not decide what to write for the review. I felt it was an unsatisfying ending, with the mystery solved (view spoiler) but I did not feel the detective work was done properly(view spoiler).

Overall, not
Linda Murray
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I was re-reading this book which is part of Paul Doherty's Hugh Corbett series. As in Doherty's other books,he creates a detailed and atmospheric sense of place,time and menace. This novel is set in an isolated manor house,during an icy,dark winter. There are a series of murders including one in a locked room, which is a trade mark of Paul Doherty. The novel also deals with Templars attempting to retrieve a missing relic,a religious cult,shifty monks and a very unpleasant manor lord and his fami ...more
Lili Kyurkchiyska
Тези ги лапвам като бонбончета.
Doug
King Edward I sends Sir Hugh Corbett to Mistleham to recover stolen treasurers, to determine why a group of fourteen members of a heretic religious order were massacred, and find the mysterious bowman who is killing seemingly innocent peoples. When all is solved all of the events are related.

A good medieval mystery. The story take place in the 3arly 1300's and after reading I am glad I did not live then. An interesting part of the book is the effect Christianity had on the characters lives compa
Deborah Bogen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time travel of the best sort

Time travel of the best sort

A great mystery that let's you get a sense for how things have changed...and how they've stayed the same. Corbett is a likable believable character and Doherty is careful to get the details right. Enjoy England when the snipers used a longbow.
Jack
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this guy's books. This one stars Master Corbett, the main investigator/troubleshooter for Edward I of England (the 16th book of this series). This series is actually my 2nd favorite behind the Brother Athelstan series. These books provide great background information on 14th Century England. Just great reads.
Cece
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like the chance to revisit the time of Edward I with Hugh Corbett. This series, now at book 16, remains strong, mostly because of the character development. Hugh has grown gray-haired in the service of the King, Ranulf has changed from street urchin to King's clerk in his own right, and they have fully developed back stories and supporting characters.
Patty
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a medieval mystery set in 1304. One of Doherty's Hugh Corbett series. It has an authenic feeling of the time and place, and throws some light on the awful events at Acre. The plot is well-done, with Corbett impressing me with both his humanity and his power of deduction.
John Lee
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. My second book in the series and I only regret that I didnt start the tales of this chgaracter at the beginning.

I like the way that the author keeps finding excuses to summarize the clues and 'story so far'
Georgia Lengyel
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
One of the best mysteries in this series.
Richard
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries, medieval times
Recommended to Richard by: I read all Mr. Doherty's work.
I need a vocabulary in the back of the book, or a dictionary of medieval language. Otherwise, this story proves, once again, human nature never changes.
Dominic McLoughlin
I really enjoy Paul Doherty's books. The Hugh Corbett ones are a bit more about the politics where his others are a bit more about the murder mystery. Recommended!
Andy
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Hugh Corbett mystery.
Niels Westerneng
Mediocre medieval detective. Bit too much dialogue, not enough character development.
Mike
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place during the reign of Edward I and proved to be well worth the reading.
Vikas Datta
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well captures the uncertain life of those turbulent times and is a engrossing mystery to boot!
Brendan
chris chieppa
Jun 11, 2017
Lessa54
Aug 21, 2012
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Tolls of Death (Knights Templar, #17)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • The Green Man (Roger the Chapman, #17)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
“she sat in Scrope’s chair, indicating that Master Benedict” 0 likes